Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mak0rz posted:

Are the ninji hole outlines considered non-vanilla? Would that be why it received a penalty?

Tyty looked it up mid-video, the level was late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
What does the 'leaked author' penalty even mean? Is that the late penalty?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

What does the 'leaked author' penalty even mean? Is that the late penalty?

Presumably the judges aren't supposed to know who made which level, to preserve neutrality. If they knew "oh, this level was made by <guy that always makes lovely levels>" then they wouldn't give the level a fair shake (and similarly, famous level creators would probably have their levels judged more leniently).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Presumably the judges aren't supposed to know who made which level, to preserve neutrality. If they knew "oh, this level was made by <guy that always makes lovely levels>" then they wouldn't give the level a fair shake (and similarly, famous level creators would probably have their levels judged more leniently).

This is pretty much the exact reason. There are some designers that are known for their really good level design and when a judge sees their name in the contest there's always a chance they think to themselves "oh man, this person. I'm going to have a good time here!" and then self-fulfilling prophecy kicks in, causing the judge to score it more leniently or not be actively looking for mistakes or poor decisions. Considering the judges for these things don't have professional judging experience or anything it's a small but reasonable concern since these communities are relatively insular.

Hell, I'm sure there will be points along the way where we see a name we recognize and get really excited to play a level. Or, back in the first couple videos when we encountered that Zyglrox Odyssey level and immediately thought to ourselves oh god this is going to be hard, do I have to play this right now?"

Speaking of, we still need to go back and give that level an honest attempt. I think we'll do it once we get all the switch palaces.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 7

I don't remember being this bad at Zelda before.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

To me, that second level wasn't bad, but it did a lot of things and didn't particularly nail any of them.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Apologies for my tardiness, but Part Two: The Castle in the Burning Sands is up.

I am not recording raw footage again. Aegisub (and mpv, my media player and video guinea pig) gets skippy when it's asked to do 60fps of uncompressed video. Unfortunately, I have another update to go (already recorded) before I can go do 5000-bitrate h264. :suicide:

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 24, 2017

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Axem Rangers (2/2)

The list of problems in this hack is quick long, but we see the biggest one in this video.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
And so, today we prove our worth as The Greatest Enemy In History.

ROCKMAN CX #7: The Z-Foot
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, NGDBSS, and Clark)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This hack continues to be extremely confusing.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

This hack continues to be extremely confusing.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Heavy Sigh posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet.

:ohdear: Now I'm scared.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
"So, you fight Mega Man himself in my hack!"
go on
"And you are, like, the boss of a stage HE played!"
that's pretty neat!
"And he uses all of his Mega Man 2 weapons!"
that's awesome! Make sure you program them well :)
"Mostly Bubble Lead, though."
uh...huh?
"And of course he has collected three E-Tanks already."
...let me stop you right here my dude

Like many hacks, this one is a prime example of someone desperately needed but not delivered who can tell the creator "no". Granted, most hacks also have technical issues all over the place, but this one has a lot of programming talent behind it, so it's a far better candidate for the "bad idea, out" fix which would actually, you know, fix things. It's not fundamentally flawed, but it's dragged down so much from many, many small - and large - dumb decisions.

EDIT: By the way, did I see correctly that Mega got damaged by his own Crash Bomb? That's awesome! More of that!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think so. Both times I think Sigh shot him at the same time as the bomb went off.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That Mega Man boss fight actually had clever ideas. I particularly enjoyed how Mega Man goes through the boss door while you drop through the ceiling. The ability for him to heal three times is stupid, though.

Why do your weapon "upgrades" make things worse?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

get that OUT of my face posted:

That Mega Man boss fight actually had clever ideas. I particularly enjoyed how Mega Man goes through the boss door while you drop through the ceiling. The ability for him to heal three times is stupid, though.

Don't you know, you're not TRULY playing Megaman until you can beat the game without using boss powers or E-Tanks, therefore we'll make everything undesirable or useless.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

And so, today we prove our worth as The Greatest Enemy In History.

ROCKMAN CX #7: The Z-Foot
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, NGDBSS, and Clark)

:hellyeah: Galaxy Man is one of my favorite music tracks in the series.

Having the "enemy player" go to the pause menu like that to switch weapons was pretty neat, if annoying.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
SMB3Mix is pretty good. Not too tough, plenty of callbacks, power-ups and star coins where you expect to find them. I'm sad it won't run on nesDS, for some reason.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

I don't think they necessarily make them "worse" actually. For the platform, at least. I noticed that the platform only lasts like two seconds now, but the thing is, there can only be so many on screen at once, so the sooner one disappears, the sooner another one can be made to appear, allowing you to continually use them.

Personally, though, I'd just stick to giving me Item 1, 2, and 3.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That Switch Palace requires a lot of knowledge of game mechanics to beat. I'm a little mixed on this but I guess it's okay. Second level is just crazy in the weirdest way.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Can't say I was expecting to hear Säkkijärven polkka in a video game

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You didn't read the Green Switch activated message closely, did you :D?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Earthbound music aside, the guy who created the Twitch chat level deserves a wedgie.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I liked watching these two levels. The first one for trying to figure out the puzzle myself (but of course I don't know enough to solve it; I didn't realize you could use yellow Yoshi's stomp to bump the shell like that) and the second one for the sheer weirdness of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Simply Simon posted:

You didn't read the Green Switch activated message closely, did you :D?

I did, and wow, that was scrambled. That was a weird thing to do.

Also a weird thing to do: that entire second level. Much like the judges did, I'd give it points for creativity. And little else, but hey, it was creative.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it would've been a good entry for a different competition

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ephraim225 posted:

Personally, though, I'd just stick to giving me Item 1, 2, and 3.

Floor looks massively better than Item 1. With Item 1, you jump, place it, land, jump onto it, then jump again. And if you try to place it too close to a wall (not uncommon as one of its primary uses is getting over walls), then it fizzles and wastes the weapon energy. With Floor you just jump, use it, land on it, and jump again.

Item 1 does have a minor "elevator" effect, but IMO that's not enough to make it better than Floor. Plus Item 1 has a dumb name. Floor is Floor.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Floor is like Wily's Revenge Carry hypercharged, with the added benefit that Carry has some super dumb segments attached where you always have to have it in speeddial to save yourself from spikedrops (on a Gameboy screen, mind). Floor doesn't stand for that! (it's mandatory in a lot of other dumb poo poo coming up, but it itself is not the problem)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Prav posted:

it would've been a good entry for a different competition

It feels very much against the spirit of a vanilla level competition even if it didn't break any rules.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oh my god that twitch chat level was the most amazing thing I've ever seen

edit: Also:

tiistai posted:

Can't say I was expecting to hear Säkkijärven polkka in a video game

now I finally know what the name of that stupid piece of music is. I've found myself humming it many times throughout the past ten years but I never had any idea what it was called. Oddly enough I'm pretty sure the first time I heard it was have been in a video game of some sort! (That said I couldn't tell you for the life of me what game.)

double edit: Wait, yes I can! It's 'Hardcore of the North' from In The Groove!

vdate fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 21, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I dont know posted:

It feels very much against the spirit of a vanilla level competition even if it didn't break any rules.

That's probably a factor in why it scored so low. Some could argue the contest has gotten away from its roots in recent years (which you can probably see in the images below) since we see a large emphasis by the designers to have a unique looking level, sometimes to the detriment of the gameplay. Scores are still weighted appropriately, but you still see lots of designers emphasize looks in their level without always remembering to make it fun first.

Graphics have always been highly emphasized for as long as I've been a part of SMWCentral. Even back in 2008 when I started the first VLDC, fancy graphics (which were still uncommon enough at the time) were being used to substitute for actually fun gameplay. Appropriately, that was my main reason for starting the contest and setting the rules as I did. At the time, Lunar Magic had less graphical functionality and the rules I set in place regarding manipulations made designers really focus on gameplay over graphics. I think it went well overall and some really good levels were made as a result, but the scores given by the judges--myself included--were all over the place.

I forget what my original point was going to be since I trailed off into history for a moment. I think the main point is that even ten years later we still see a huge emphasis on graphics in what was originally a contest with extremely little graphical focus.

This isn't to say I dislike the cool graphics and aesthetics designers pull off in the contest. Having the whole game's resources available to mix tilesets together is actually a really neat concept since it allows users to shuffle around existing game assets into new things without having to necessarily know how to draw their own graphics. Creativity is at an all time high whenever this contest rolls around. VLDCX (10) is underway right now and some of the entries I've seen look amazing visually, even if they don't look vanilla anymore.

I love how all of these look and can barely comprehend how some of these are manipulating vanilla graphics. I want to play them. I just hope they are actually enjoyable to play too.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 8

The mystery of the missing key is solved.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 8

The mystery of the missing key is solved.

"I need the bug catching net so I can harvest faeries!"
*gets bug catching net*
*spends 450 rupees to fill all bottles with red potions*

I mean I get it, healing is better than no healing & you have no real use for money & a fuckton of money to not use anyway, the timing of it was just amusing.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

oldskool posted:

"I need the bug catching net so I can harvest faeries!"
*gets bug catching net*
*spends 450 rupees to fill all bottles with red potions*

I mean I get it, healing is better than no healing & you have no real use for money & a fuckton of money to not use anyway, the timing of it was just amusing.

The real problem is the lack of magic powder to turn anti-faeries into faeries.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Red potions are better anyway. They fully restore your life, while fairies only heal you for seven hearts when you die.

Also, when are you going to go for the stone slabs that you can get the items from now that you have the Master Sword?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Also, when are you going to go for the stone slabs that you can get the items from now that you have the Master Sword?

Soon-ish, I don't remember when.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Red potions are better anyway. They fully restore your life, while fairies only heal you for seven hearts when you die.

Eh, it's best to have one fairy and then the rest red potions to cover for being too slow to hit the pause button. Fairies also are easier to come across than potions too, so you can dump your current fairy to top off when you run into a new one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Are the Switch palaces just levels implemented by judges?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The first one certainly appeared to be. As they're non-scored levels I guess it would make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

So, as a part of the Beyond Chaos run with Liquidy and Feyer, I'll be handling a partyparty seed on the side. Still trying to figure out the best method of presentation.

I could have started two days ago, but I'm an idiot and didn't get the file from Liquidy.

You're welcome.

• Locked thread