Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Been looking forward to to this one. I can see why a lot of these levels scored so low, because outside of the third level, they just don't seem to...do anything? Like, the first level was literally a flat plain with a couple pieces of raised terrain and a handful of enemies, and it doesn't seem like they had any idea what they actually wanted to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

AweStriker posted:

If I remember correctly, the chest in Link's house, the chest just past the dead uncle, and the chest in Zelda's cell all contain the lantern in the original. Once you have it, the others give you some pittance of Rupees. 5, I think?

Correct. You can get the latern from any of them and the other chests will have a blue rupee.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That totally was VVVVVV music and the Mario World sound font was not kind to it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The poor SMW soundfont, desperately trying to pull off the Mystic Quest Lava Dome theme and just not coming close.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The music you were looking for in the Waluigi boss fight is the 2P versus music from Wario's Woods.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mantis42 posted:

where are the donkey kong hacks

They're mostly Kaizo bullshit with very minimal ability to edit the actual layout of a stage, only add or change stuff in it. And the few that do exist that change stuff are bullshit hard.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mantis42 posted:

Unacceptable. :colbert:

Hold my beer.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mantis42 posted:

where are the donkey kong hacks

Artix posted:

Hold my beer.

Donkey Kong Country 2: The Lost Levels is notable as a DKC2 hack for several reasons. The first and most prominent one is that...well, it exists at all. The DKC2 hacking community is extremely small, and its drastically different level structure means that it's not as easy as plopping down whatever tiles you want from a nice dropbox like in Lunar Magic or Super Mario Maker. Second, because of the aforementioned level design issue, most of the hacks that do exist are content to change levels by filling them up with Zingers or whatever other bullshit stage hazards you can come up with. Changing the things in levels is extremely easy, and with the sole exception of bananas, literally anything can be changed into anything else. Coins, barrels, cannons, animal buddies, enemies - they all pull from the same "object" pool and can be placed and changed at will. What makes Lost Levels special is that it does neither of these things. Oh, sure, it gets hard - it's a romhack after all - but unlike most of its contemporaries, Lost Levels is a full-on conversion of the game, complete with new and unique levels and bonus rooms.

Now, is it actually good? Ehhhhhhh, sort of. The level design leaves a lot to be desired in places, the camera was clearly not intended to do things that the hacker wanted to, and he relies a bit too heavily on spamming enemies (including using almost every enemy type as early as the second world), but even "mediocre" is pretty impressive, given the general difficulty of hacking DKC2 in the first place. FP and I will be tackling pretty much the entire base game, as well as whatever Lost World levels we manage to scrounge up enough Kremkoins for.

Part 1 - Gangplank Galleon
Part 2 - Crocodile Cauldron
Part 3 - Krem Quay (1)
Part 4 - Krem Quay (2)
Part 5 - Krazy Kremland (1)
Part 6 - Krazy Kremland (2)
Part 7 - Gloomy Gulch (1)
Part 8 - Gloomy Gulch (2)
Part 9 - K. Rool's Keep (1)
Part 10 - K. Rool's Keep (2)
Part 11 - K. Rool's Keep (3)
Part 12 - K. Rool's Keep (4)
Part 13 - The Lost World (1)
Part 14 - The Lost World (2)
Part 15 - The Flying Krock

Artix fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 20, 2018

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can tell that Artix hasn't played a DKC game in a while because he didn't talk poo poo about Squawks at all in that video.

Will enemies that are just off screen enough for you to bump into be a recurring theme?

To be fair, that was a pretty inoffensive Squawks section. I mean, DKC2 proper has a level in World 2 that is both longer and ruder than what the hacker expected out of you there. As for enemies, I'm gonna go with a soft "probably" because I haven't practiced anything past World 3 yet

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
DKC2: Lost Levels - Crocodile Cauldron

Man, remember when this hack was good, and fair, and didn't constantly kick you in the dick? They lasted an entire world!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
wait gently caress this means I'm the last one going right now

So we're headed to the swamp, and with it, the sort of level design you were probably expecting two worlds ago. It's still not *awful*, but this is about the point where we break out the savestates and don't look back. And no, I didn't edit out a second of the second video. You get to see every precious second.

Krem Quay: Part 1
Part 2

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't even know if that bonus was actually mandatory, I legit had absolutely no idea where I was after it spit me out, and I have my doubts that FP did either despite having the level open in the editor.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Today we're heading for Krazy Kremland, which means it's time for our introduction of...Phazon Bees? Yeah, sure, whatever, let's go with that.

Part 5 - Krazy Kremland (Part 1)
Part 6 - Krazy Kremland (Part 2)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Lost Levels: Gloomy Gulch - (Part 1) (Part 2)

Gloomy Gulch was actually pretty solid, all things considered. Creepy Cave was way better than it had any right to be and even the Toxic Tower ripoff worked by being mercifully empty of enemies.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So we recorded K. Rool's Keep today. It went...uh, poorly. To the tune of an hour and 45 minutes. Now, I am merciful and will not subject you to four videos of me failing over and over and over on terrible stages...unless that's what you want. Don't let me kinkshame or anything, just checking to see if anyone wants the raw, unfiltered experience before I have to render them twice.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And now, I am proud to present: K. Rool's Revenge - a feature length film.

K. Rool's Keep (1)
K. Rool's Keep (2)
K. Rool's Keep (3)
K. Rool's Keep (4)

The edited version will be up sometime in the next day or two once I make it (more) watchable than this garbage.

Artix fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 29, 2018

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Behold, the Lost World! It's...not nearly as bad as you were expecting, frankly. Really, this was a better world 6 than whatever garbage he actually put in K. Rool's Keep.

Lost World (1)
Lost World (2)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And so our journey comes to a close. I'd give some closing thoughts, but really, what else is there to say? It's okay at best, downright unplayable at worst, and spends most of its time wallowing in the "disappointing" end of the scale due to a combination of poor level design or over-reliance on enemy spam. The levels where he eases up and lets the platforming be the show (see: the ice level that worked like Toxic Tower) are actually really good! Just a shame about everything else.

The Flying Krock

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can't believe FP cut me booting up Fate/Grand Order pretty much the second the recording session started, he's making me look so much more professional than I actually am.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Edit: Artix, I hope you're not one of those tea elitists that scoff at teabags.

:shrug: I don't use them much myself, but hey, you do you. You can get fancy tea in teabags if you look hard enough, and you can get really lovely tea loose. More a matter of what you get and how you brew it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

How about we don't casually imply that things are at the end of the game when the point of the randomizer is that no one knows? Especially since you've admitted to playing the seed in particular that we're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FPzero posted:

Paging nine-gear crow to defend himself in a court of law.

But Crow is the law here in LP? :thunk:

• Locked thread