Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Mak0rz posted:

Is the writing for BNW that bad? I was going to start it up fairly soon but if it has idiotic "internet humor" writing then I'm not sure if I'd want to even begin. Did the original FF6 script even need to be changed? Why do that? :psyduck:

Not really, in short the problem was that the author of the hack started posting in that thread which was fine until he mentioned he was a brony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Choco1980 posted:

why does gravity element work on flying?

Hasn't it always? The element is "gravity" but it usually manifests as miniature black holes or something like that, not pulling things toward the earth. No reason flying creatures would resist that.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
That was Red's battle theme, originally from Gold and Silver

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Can't say I was expecting to hear Säkkijärven polkka in a video game

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CirclMastr posted:

In my defense, when I'm recording the emulator doesn't feed me sound (so I can't hear beeping heart warning either) so I had no audio cue about the button.

You must have some weird audio settings going on because that ain't normal

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Combat Lobster posted:

He was using Snes9x's bulit-in recorder which kills the sound while recording.

The direct avi recording? Oh okay, I forgot about that.

Well, technically, there's ways around that too though. Like recording with OBS or whatever although that might screw with the setup, or first capturing a snes9x movie file and then playing and recording that to avi although that'll obviously basically double the time spent on recording.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, these aren't annotations, they're subtitles. They're separate.

Anyway yeah looks cool, I haven't seen Eris before. The designer really went ham with the alien planet thing though.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 1, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can't say I particularly grew to like Eris, but that was a fun LP. Good stuff.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
After reading the thread I was expecting something truly heinous from that level but... eh. At least some parts of it looked like they could be pretty alright with more reasonable enemy and hazard placements. Seemed kinda thoughtless but not particularly despicable.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

• You can pull on trees to get lesser items (like rupees, arrows, bombs, magic pots, etc.). What items you get depends on how many enemies you've killed (without getting hurt?).

There's three tiers: (1) Kill 4 or more enemies without taking damage (vanilla red rupees), (2) Kill 4 or more enemies (vanilla blue rupees), (3) Kill 1 or more enemies (vanilla green rupees). The counter persists across save & quit, I think, so pulling a tree is the only way to reset it.

Also, the next time you have Mini-Moldorms to kill, they're vulnerable to the Hookshot even without the magic powder :v:

tiistai fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 24, 2018

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Materant posted:

Upgraded items, with the exception of the Magic Boomerang for reasons I can't fathom, are all progressive.

It's because the unupgraded Boomerang is better since it doesn't lag the game! Gotta save the frames.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, it's called the Select button. You're never stuck in the Dark World, just save and quit :v:

There's also no such thing as two-way warps. The closest thing is the temporary warp that the Mirror leaves behind.

That Thieves' Town though, dang

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly I'd say the trollier things the randomizer can do are stuff like "you have to beat Mothula with fighter's sword, green tunic, and few hearts / no bottles". Like, sure in theory it can bounce you all over the place and make you double-dip in a bunch of dungeons, but having to do a low-level run in hard areas is pretty drat trolly.

Swordless Arghus (have fun with the menus!) and Blind (tiny hitbox on that hammer) are also not great, for that matter. So yeah, I'd say the most plausible nightmare scenario is putting sword upgrades in the pedestal and behind both tablets (or in similarly hard-to-access areas).

An early Mothula is pretty bad, but a forced Fighter Sword Vitreous is probably one of the most ridiculous ones I've seen actually happen. The fight takes ages and there's little room for error, since Vitreous has a ton of HP, is constantly chasing you in the second phase and you must use charge spins to do any damage at all. If you end up in that situation without having practiced it beforehand, good luck.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

C-Euro posted:

Is my memory going, or do you use the Quake medallion to open Turtle Rock in the regular game?

Yes, and Ether to open Misery Mire. They're randomized, though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

FPzero posted:

Separate from the LP file, I played a Master Sword Pedestal game over the last two days and it was a pretty interesting one. If anyone wants to give it a shot, here are the details:

Had a bit of a rough start, the rest was mostly trying and failing at making correct guesses. I should play more Keysanity.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

frankenfreak posted:

On the other hand, there's also the satisfaction of defeating Helmasaurus with only 4 hearts, although doing Blind with only four might be beyond my physical and mental limits.

Blind's patterns are deterministic, so with a little practice you can get him to do the same thing every time. Just look at how good runners do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPPolAyRV0&t=3430s

He's essentially the easiest boss.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Bosses vulnerable to Silvers:

Armos Knights
Lanmolas
Helmasaur King (2nd phase)
Arrghus (2nd phase, but it's annoyingly precise)
Vitreous (main body requires two)
Ganon (final phase)

Basically it's only about half the bosses.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The Speedrunning thread has been the de facto place for Rando discussion but that has kinda died down lately

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
There's a third way past the rock and the peg near the Dark World Witches' Hut: swimming up the river. If you have neither Gloves nor Hammer and have been forced to get to the DW via Agahnim, you only need the Flippers and the Hookshot for West DW access.

That's a fairly rare scenario, although it can happen so it's good to know. I think I've only had that happen to me once or maybe twice.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah the timing with the laser skips isn't quite as difficult as it would seem, partly because only the tip of the laser actually has a hitbox. Even so it's still kinda tricky. May or may not be easier with the boots, depends on the player.

Also, the cane uses a bit less magic than the cape, the lag has nothing to do with it since it's not like the magic usage is tied to real time.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 8, 2018

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
A couple of quick QoL things:
- You were fiddling around setting up the dash jump in Ganon's Tower, but you can change the dash direction during the initial spin-up animation. Just face to the side, start holding A and then hold the direction you want to go before the dash starts. Useful in other tight spots as well like King's Tomb.
- Bunny Beams or whatever they're actually called can be turned into fairies with the powder before they start moving, or even when they're still under a pot (as long as you know which pots have them)

Thanks for keeping this thread alive a bit longer

tiistai fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2018

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Useless trivia: Since poking does less damage than slashing it's still technically possible to damage vanilla game Mothula with the golden sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rollersnake posted:

Question because I'm stuck: Finding the lantern will give me that light cone, and I shouldn't have to go through any dark room until I have it, correct? The only progression items I have are the Moon Pearl and the first glove, I have almost no keys (2 to castle tower, 1 to dark palace), and I can't figure out how to progress without going through a dark room, unless there's a Dark World portal accessible to me that I don't remember.

Correct. Dark World access requires at the very least one of the following sets of items: lv2 gloves OR lv1 gloves and hammer OR master sword (or higher) or the cape plus the lantern to access the tower and defeat Agahnim.

Something you might want to consider is to use a tracker like this one to give you an idea of what's actually available to you if you're not completely sure of it yourself.

• Locked thread