Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

america had it's own poo poo computers nobody else cared about - like the apple 2 or the ti/99

let's not forget about the British market and their particularly hosed up and inbred designs.

but nothing screams cyberpunk quite like the MSX computers, and yeah I'd love to build my own deck styled after one. just wish I could find a cheap wearable display to complete the setup. yes it would be completely stupid, that's the point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i think you mean completely awesome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SO DEMANDING posted:

let's not forget about the British market and their particularly hosed up and inbred designs.

but nothing screams cyberpunk quite like the MSX computers, and yeah I'd love to build my own deck styled after one. just wish I could find a cheap wearable display to complete the setup. yes it would be completely stupid, that's the point!

i've got the dk1 sitting around collecting dust, i figure that and a webcam gets me a usable headset

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SO DEMANDING posted:

you should be able to get a cheap wearable NTSC display with composite input, that sort of thing was sold by Sharper Image like 20 years ago (and for many years) as a way to watch TV/DVDs privately, like on planes

bonus: you can just plug a Japanese MSX right into its composite input

edit: looks like the search term to use is “video glasses,” here’s a pair I found new on Amazon—which turns out to play from an SD card, rather than use a composite input, oops; check Alibaba instead

eschaton fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 22, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the cheap electronic gift shops in chinatown have them here. they want too much for them though

you can probably score one off alibaba for ~$50

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

you can still get a TI-99/4A new in box for cheap if you want to try janky

I do sometimes wonder why the Japanese companies never tried to sell MSX in the US

the msx platform was originally designed by microsoft and was popular in south america and parts of europe too, so it is kind of weird that it never caught on in the us

e: apparently yamaha did try to sell a couple of msx computer models in the us, but they were marketed as music computers and only sold in music stores

e2: there's also a homebrew community that ports games between the msx, coleco and sega sg-1000 because the hardware in all of them is almost identical

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 22, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

case is one of my logons

you can also reach me at 8jean tessier-ashpool c/o wintermute

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The_Franz posted:

the msx platform was originally designed by microsoft and was popular in south america and parts of europe too, so it is kind of weird that it never caught on in the us

the msx sold well in the netherlands, and i think germany and spain too, but software distribution in the 80s wasn't like it is today. msx games from japan would never be released outside japan, and games from europe would never be released outside europe (or even outside specific countries). so while there were msx machines around a lot of the games were fairly lazy ports from the zx spectrum. they're both z80 machines and one of the msx video modes is more or less spectrum-compatible, so with only minor changes you could knock out a port in a few days

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think i can kind of understand the mindset behind old fashioned femdom relationships, like the guy gets off on being bossed around and humiliated and treated like poo poo by the woman, and that's fine I get that.
But lately I've been hearing about financial dom and this kinda stuff where the whole deal is you just funnel money to a woman and at best she calls you a wanker and maybe she never even acknowledges that you exist except to demand more money. And it's like... of course that's where that kink would eventually lead, because the whole kink is predicated not on sex, but the experience of being humiliated; and just getting your balls stomped on is gonna get old after a while so you gotta find new ways to be humiliated.
But it's like drat, dude, now you achieve sexual release through the blockchain, and sexuality has become this thoroughly postmodern thing. I dunno where I'm going with this really except that the future is wild as poo poo, and I love it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

the msx sold well in the netherlands, and i think germany and spain too, but software distribution in the 80s wasn't like it is today. msx games from japan would never be released outside japan, and games from europe would never be released outside europe (or even outside specific countries). so while there were msx machines around a lot of the games were fairly lazy ports from the zx spectrum. they're both z80 machines and one of the msx video modes is more or less spectrum-compatible, so with only minor changes you could knock out a port in a few days

konami actually did release a lot of their games in pal land

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

you should be able to get a cheap wearable NTSC display with composite input, that sort of thing was sold by Sharper Image like 20 years ago (and for many years) as a way to watch TV/DVDs privately, like on planes

bonus: you can just plug a Japanese MSX right into its composite input

edit: looks like the search term to use is “video glasses,” here’s a pair I found new on Amazon—which turns out to play from an SD card, rather than use a composite input, oops; check Alibaba instead

infernal machines posted:

the cheap electronic gift shops in chinatown have them here. they want too much for them though

you can probably score one off alibaba for ~$50

yeah some lovely video glasses are probably the most realistic solution, just gotta find some that aren't too lovely or too expensive.

i would really love a monocular kind of system to make my own wearable PC type deal, but that sort of poo poo is way harder to find. anything old is now rare and collectable (or too lovely/weird to use), anything new tends to be extremely expensive. then there's this thing for $200 https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-006011-Wearable-Display/dp/B01MZ89QXF/ :pcgaming:

someday i'll have my dream deck...

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVJrJPDUa1k

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Metaverse is real, and it's loving awful

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

communism bitch posted:

I think i can kind of understand the mindset behind old fashioned femdom relationships, like the guy gets off on being bossed around and humiliated and treated like poo poo by the woman, and that's fine I get that.
But lately I've been hearing about financial dom and this kinda stuff where the whole deal is you just funnel money to a woman and at best she calls you a wanker and maybe she never even acknowledges that you exist except to demand more money. And it's like... of course that's where that kink would eventually lead, because the whole kink is predicated not on sex, but the experience of being humiliated; and just getting your balls stomped on is gonna get old after a while so you gotta find new ways to be humiliated.
But it's like drat, dude, now you achieve sexual release through the blockchain, and sexuality has become this thoroughly postmodern thing. I dunno where I'm going with this really except that the future is wild as poo poo, and I love it.

I feel like the whole findom thing is getting a lot more play because sex workers (and, let's face it, a lot of amateurs wanting to dip their toes into sex work) see it as more lucrative for less actual work. It's like game devs designing their games around fleecing whales with microtransactions, if every one-person game developer with a half-finished game on Steam filled that game with microtransactions).

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
id be happy to financially dominate any... uhhh... "cybercucks"?

i have pms

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

communism bitch posted:

The Metaverse is real, and it's loving awful

the metaverse was better when it was 2D and only required 300-1200bps from your C64

I heard from the creators at VCF that they managed to get away with only doing a single software release, too, no client revs needed

you can find all the code github thanks to The MADE, as well as the C-like 6502 macro assembler Lucasfilm used for it, ported to macOS and Linux

wonder how much other historical cyberpunk stuff they have

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

the future looks a lot more like terrible glitchy anime than I was expecting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

powerful computer

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

powerful computer

vaporwave af

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not sure how to call the fbi? call 1-800-call-fbi and we will help you call the fbi

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

THIS CHRISTMAS IS DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE CYBERPUNKS WHO FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE AND CORRUPTION EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
santa sighed as he drew his katana

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Crusader posted:

THIS CHRISTMAS IS DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE CYBERPUNKS WHO FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE AND CORRUPTION EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES

Snatcher is a Christmas game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NoneMoreNegative posted:

powerful computer

aesthetic is good

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Crusader posted:

Armored Core’s UI was pretty festive too, maybe Japan just loves Annual Gift Man

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Snatcher is a Christmas game.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Foo posted:

aesthetic is good

i am attracted to every single element of that picture

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Powaqoatse posted:

i am attracted to every single element of that picture

too late this year, but if I’d seen that pic in oct/nov I would have gotten a short run of Xmas cards printed

/makes note in 2018 calendar

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7yRKBromQ

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
your tv gives you poo poo now for using it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

your tv gives you poo poo now for using it

a truly smart tv

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so when are blipverts coming

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I played Tyrian on my raspberry pi and it was festive as hell because of christmas mode. Love it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/shinan_417/status/944525674890518528

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

japan: unlike brazil, our panopticon will actually work. welcome to the olympics

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

i'm more excited to see the rx78 walking around and slicing up buildings and stuff with the beam saber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

im the poorly looped synth jazz

• Locked thread