Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lancemantis posted:

I feel kind of sad that I missed out on participating in the era of really janky home computers

you can still get a TI-99/4A new in box for cheap if you want to try janky

I do sometimes wonder why the Japanese companies never tried to sell MSX in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

this scope uses the same CPU as the TI-99, the TMS-9900

the TMS-9900 is a true 16-bit CPU based on the TI-990 minicomputer instruction set

it doesn’t really do “registers,” instead it has a fast addressing mode for the first 16 words of memory (like the PDP-10)

the TI-99 architecture managed to both RAM-starve and bandwidth-starve the CPU so what could have been a cool System was pretty terrible in common use

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

let's not forget about the British market and their particularly hosed up and inbred designs.

but nothing screams cyberpunk quite like the MSX computers, and yeah I'd love to build my own deck styled after one. just wish I could find a cheap wearable display to complete the setup. yes it would be completely stupid, that's the point!

you should be able to get a cheap wearable NTSC display with composite input, that sort of thing was sold by Sharper Image like 20 years ago (and for many years) as a way to watch TV/DVDs privately, like on planes

bonus: you can just plug a Japanese MSX right into its composite input

edit: looks like the search term to use is “video glasses,” here’s a pair I found new on Amazon—which turns out to play from an SD card, rather than use a composite input, oops; check Alibaba instead

eschaton fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 22, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

communism bitch posted:

The Metaverse is real, and it's loving awful

the metaverse was better when it was 2D and only required 300-1200bps from your C64

I heard from the creators at VCF that they managed to get away with only doing a single software release, too, no client revs needed

you can find all the code github thanks to The MADE, as well as the C-like 6502 macro assembler Lucasfilm used for it, ported to macOS and Linux

wonder how much other historical cyberpunk stuff they have

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so when are blipverts coming

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

not really A E S T H E T I C

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

speaking of, my Soviet electroluminescent display supposedly arrived at receiving

don’t bother trying to buy a GRiD portable with EL display though, friend of mine has dibs on them

yes, all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I remember that software and it was pretty loving amazing. Like it was able to emulate PlayStation games on a 500mhz G3 at what seems like pretty much the same performance as the open sores emulators get today with a computer 4x faster

What was their secret?

Eric Traut and Mike Neal

Eric wrote Apple’s second-generation 68K emulator (the dynamic-recompilation one used by all the non-NuBus PowerMacs) before going to Connectix

eschaton fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 30, 2017

• Locked thread