Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wasn't there some outrageously expensive cyberpunk designer/clothing label from europe/japan that Gibson liked a lot? or maybe he had some kind of deal with?

I think it was this one https://acrnm.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah somebody already wrote a whole book on that stuff

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
institutional racism and biases are nothing new, but now we'll encode them in machines to amplify their effect

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

this seems familiar and I don't know why :ohdear:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's not really for mind reading; those things are more about people learning to produce the signals that make the device do what they want it to do, regardless of the actual thought

they'll sell it as a mind reader though

also, if only people came with some type of manipulators tied to their brains, maybe we could call them mindfingers or something

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i love watching affluent white nerds pretend they're not "real" drug users while using drugs

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

SwitchbladeKult posted:

A bit of old news but I think it is cyberpunk AF. Nothing screams cyberpunk like the possibility of PMCs completely taking over combat operations in an occupied foreign country.

"According to a new report from the New York Times, the White House asked Erik D. Prince, the founder of the private military firm Blackwater, and Stephen A. Feinberg, the billionaire owner of DynCorp International, to use contractors instead of U.S. troops in Afghanistan."

https://thinkprogress.org/blackwater-trump-afghanistan-strategy-4a35c39b277/

beyond contracts for equipment to straight up contracts for soldiers

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm probably not going to see this new blade runner

ffs hollywood I know you love this MCU money factory but just get some new ideas instead of trying to make sequels for any successful property

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol drones are going to end up requiring full licensure, registration, flight planning etc

all things never really needed by RC Beckstrom people with those were plane spergs while drones have turned into smartphone idiots that want to fly cameras to stupid places

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

a misanthrope studying technology and making derivative sci-fi threats? :wow:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

I feel like I already saw something like this

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Nah it was more something like a (food?) delivery robot and people screwing with it and the companies reaction to that

Maybe one of these?

https://www.marble.io/

http://dispatch.ai

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

now i have a car with doors that do this *normal door opening motion* instead of this *upward door opening motion*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

the model x looks like a fat prius and costs one hundred thousand earth dollars

i always think it looks like someone took a model s and left a magnifying glass over the middle section

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Model X is the safest, quickest, and most capable sport utility vehicle in history. Designed as a family car without compromise, Model X comes standard with all-wheel drive, ample seating for up to seven adults, standard active safety features, and up to 295 miles of range on a single charge. And it's the quickest SUV in production, capable of accelerating from zero to 60 miles per hour in 2.9 seconds

it's literally a big-cabin model s, and i don't know how you could describe this as the 'most capable sport utility vehicle': it has no sport utility vehicle capabilities

and of course they have their bmw demographic stat

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the Tesla Model X: because driving a ~sports sedan~ wasn't enough, it needs to be a big and tall sports sedan

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

communism bitch posted:

So we've got 20 years tops before military murderbots are parkouring and 360 noscoping afghani shepherds and wedding parties.

we already do a good job with drones

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

George posted:

ai is just us after using computers all our lives

someday someone will remarket mechanical turk as ai

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

haha I looked at their website and its like the most dehumanizing thing I've seen in a while

https://claralabs.com

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
literal commodity fetishism

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I'm the CIO who is shocked that its not a human doing the work

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The spiral of that also lead me to this

https://hackernoon.com/im-32-and-spent-200k-on-biohacking-became-calmer-thinner-extroverted-healthier-happier-2a2e846ae113

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Psychotherapy. Also a separate post. In short, I come to my therapist (who is also a Stanford/Harvard neurobiologist focused on helping high-performance people perform even better) with questions like “how do I enhance my intelligence?” “how do I eliminate bad mood days?” “how do I find it trivially easy to always chat with girls I find attractive?” etc. and we discuss concrete strategies based on research, other high-performer patients he sees etc. If you have not tried psychotherapy you really should, it is awesome.

lol some therapist found a good niche to rake in bucks from Valley woo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol that dude is taking lithium and ssris voluntarily, drugs that most psychiatric patients would gladly give up

I just assume he’s taking russian placebos and any effect he perceives is psychosomatic at this point

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
a dumb suburban nerd like cory doctorow writing a story about money being replaced by doing the dumb pop culture garbage doctorow likes? wow

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Poesy Emmeline Fibonacci Nautilus Taylor Doctorow

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

lol what a whiny suburbanite canadian idiot

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

in preparation for net neutrality making the internet bad, the nerds who live on the internet have gone ahead and made the internet bad

*spends all their time optimizing the appearance of their site in the search results and advertising offerings of a small group of behemoths*

*makes blog post about what if att only let you use one of those things*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wait is that why Skyrim is in tv ads in TYOOL 2017?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah

Bethesda: we’re too busy becoming valve 2 to make elder scrolls games, guess we’ll just rerelease this one

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kevin Mitnick practically did that half the time

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
screw you and your non cattle car first/business class experience :colbert:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
маскировка

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I had a car with a HUD; its kind of nice but sensitive to lighting and such, really its just better to shift the necessary displays to a more visible location

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
this was a car from 1998 btw

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

idgi

Agile Vector posted:

thanks to the geodesics its always night, and rainy (gibson gets super specific about this in mona lisa overdrive)

this reminds me of some of the specials on geoengineering on BBC and the creepy very cyberpunk suggestions of people attending them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm glad i dont have to do international travel for work

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

sony hitbit pro as gently caress

I feel kind of sad that I missed out on participating in the era of really janky home computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Crusader posted:

i'm on board with it

You could play mgs on an apple?

• Locked thread