Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

there's a good one...and a reeeealy bad one

I think you'll find they're both bad, I'm amazed I forgot the word "invisigoth" though, maybe I blocked out the whole episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I juts finished watching person of interest and it's like peak 2010s cyberpunk with a lot of really stupid action scenes bolted on

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pussy Cartel posted:

This gangtag will look v.good when I'm breaking into the Sense/Net database

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/817494137951830016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

80s/90s bands for your 2017 cyberhellscape playlist:
public image limited
pop will eat itself
meat beat manifesto
chemlab
front line assembly
lords of acid
revolting cocks
front 242
information society
nitzer ebb
comedy kmfdm option

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

pfft. hitler youth is the new punk grandpa

that reminds me: laibach!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZAD7W3M4zc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh no my list of groups they played on 90s alt radio and used for club scenes in every action movie doesn't meet yospos approval :ohdear:

oh yeah throw renegade soundwave in there too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also meat beat manifesto is legit good and jack dangers is the best drum programmer ever [and he can play real drums]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a trend in japan now of touring factory areas at night, they call it "industrial nightscapes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyHUxWt1j6E&t=1030s
[skip to 17:10 unless you want to watch the most awkward host pair of all time]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not gonna lie I have places from that video and some in kawasaki bookmarked for awesome picture time. kawasaki also has this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_2KgQOqzBc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

almost every main character in gibson stories has some kind of anachronistic hobby or habit, e.g. buzz ricskon jacket, curta calculators, mechanical watches, etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

speaking of snow crash franchise-based hyperbalkanization would probably work better than what we're doing now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

digging this look for twenty teens cyberpunk [plus sample from an old hardcore song]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ufimjXEbA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hifi posted:

i think its stupid that farmers doing stupid poo poo to their tractors is more important than 30 years of bmw having their own stupid proprietary thing that resets your oil change meter. what exactly are these farmers repairing on their year old tractors? if this forces right to repair across everything that has a computer in it then thats good though

a friend's dad used to run an independent bmw repair shop but he closed it when the cost of licensing the tools, equipment and manuals from bmw crossed 40% of his gross revenue

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

proof we're in the darkest timeline: here's an $800 portable bullet shield/briefcase for EXTREME TACTICAL OPERATORS who wear molle web underpants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpWQTQ82UI

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that is pretty impressive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this has got to be in the top 50 of all time bad ideas in the history of mankind

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

coming soon to.a bad network procedural near you

quote:

How safe is your television? A demonstration by Swiss security consultant Rafael Scheel has shown how malicious code in a DVB-T digital broadcast signal can be used to load the TV’s web browser.

Once the browser is loaded, Scheel uses a known vulnerability to remotely control the TV through the internet.

Scheel also points out the hack is not limited to DVB-T broadcasts, and hackers can use other transmission paths - by adding malicious code to transmissions of IPTV services, for example.

Hypothetically, this means blackhat hackers could attack an internet TV service and add the code to a transmission, which would then give them access to tens of thousands of TVs at once.

Combined with the recent news that the CIA possbily hacked Samsung smart TVs to act as microphones, recording viewers' conversations without their knowledge, this isn't a particularly encouraging revelation.

Furthermore, in a interview with Motherboard published yesterday, Israeli researcher Amihai Neiderman said he uncovered 40 vulnerabilities in Samsung's Tizen operating system which could allow the control of millions of newer Samsung smart TVs, smart watches, and mobile phones already on the market.

Calling it "the worst code I've ever seen", Neiderman is presenting his research at the upcoming Kaspersky Lab's Security Analyst Summit.

One security hole Neiderman uncovered involved Samsung's TizenStore app, where a flaw in its design allowed him to hijack the software to deliver malicious code to his Samsung TV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not all russians wear tracksuits but if there's a bunch of russians around somebody will probably be wearing a tracksuit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought a few shadowrun books just for the lore, the "virtual realities" book had a full-on novella in it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you're unbelievable

you've said too much

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 22, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cyber dog [remember cyberdog? the 90s were crazy]
https://twitter.com/sophiebillo1/status/877605380091551744

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idk where I saw it but someone proposed that all the vancouver low budget scifi/supernatural shows actually take place in a shared universe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

acronym jackets are awesome but the rest of their stuff is for hypbeast mall ninjas

The Leck posted:

yeah, from what I remember reading, they got a bunch of requests for a black one and finally tracked down that it came from pattern recognition and teamed up with William Gibson to make a few things. I like the meta-artistry of it, but not enough to spend $700 on a jacket
that same book wrecked the collector's market for curta calculators

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hackbunny posted:

now that we have tesla electric cars, soylent food replacement and a sinister military intelligence corporation called palantir, how long before we have literal skynet drones

we do, they just don't fly over white people countries yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

of course this happened
https://twitter.com/redteamwrangler/status/886533201644179456

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i have to think the drinking angle is a really weak way of pivoting away from being about applying machine learning to not hire women (or other poor culture fits)

the machine learning future is really freaking dreary, it will get used a ton to just institutionalize a lot of really bad ideas and opinions, enshrining them in machines where it will be far harder to (physically) assault
it's already being used for sentencing recommendations and surprise! it suggests longer sentences for nonwhites

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

personally i can't wait 'till it comes out that all these "smart speaker" appliances are doing some ultrasonic beamforming sonar imaging of whatever room they're in so amazon literally knows everything on your shelves

smart speakers are extra stupid because the duty cycle of an average speaker is measured in decades and the "smart" part is usually obsolete in months

between the echo/goog home and bluetooth speakers I guess people like listening to their 2" paper cones though, idgi but I'm not the target market I guess

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cambridge audio is a legit good company and those bmr tweeters are pretty amazing for what they are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

an american-sized 500-600 square foot apartment in hong kong in a reasonably central location is like 10000 usd a month

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

I have old optical media lying around but I haven't actually bought one in at least a year and the only optical drive I have left is in the ps4

I still buy lots of cds but they've gone past the point where they're all super cheap and even reasonably rare stuff is heading back up in price

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

lol drones are going to end up requiring full licensure, registration, flight planning etc

all things never really needed by RC Beckstrom people with those were plane spergs while drones have turned into smartphone idiots that want to fly cameras to stupid places

the thing about weird plane spergs is that following the rules is like half the fun for them, even when flying something remote control

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that reminds me if you see someone in a model x you have a responsibility to tell them "nice prius"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the model x looks like a fat prius and costs one hundred thousand earth dollars

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dont be mean to me posted:

already trademarked

welcome to cyberpunk
after reading that I had to check if cathode cathay was trademarked in the us [it's not]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm reminded of that bit in snow crash where the japanese rapper has on-staff lighting technicians for his hairdo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

the helmet apparently also weighs like 30 pounds and risks breaking the pilot's neck during an ejection

this helmet is like 1/4 the budget of the whole plane [and it doesn't work]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

as long as it doesn't start posting its wods on instagram no big deal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know let's take the best and coolest drug and instead of running around in the woods let's sit at our desks and write some sick angular

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bruce sterling's distraction has some interesting [and not twee doctorow bullshit] social currency ideas iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

is he though? admittedly the only thing i can definitively recall reading of his was the parts he wrote of Difference Engine. and there is a very clear delineation of which part of that book is good, and which is bad, where the good part was very obviously written by gibson, and the loving poo poo part of it written by sterling.

I liked Holy Fire, Distraction and Islands in the Net and the shaper/mechanist stories are cool

• Locked thread