Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm the torque wrenches in the combination briefcase

because i guess replacing a head gasket is a thing cyberpunks do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

well only 70% of one patient had an adverse reaction. the rest of them was fine

she's a quadriplegic now, but her face looks great

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

i think its stupid that farmers doing stupid poo poo to their tractors is more important than 30 years of bmw having their own stupid proprietary thing that resets your oil change meter. what exactly are these farmers repairing on their year old tractors? if this forces right to repair across everything that has a computer in it then thats good though

you can reset the oil change indicator in bmws by holding the trip odometer button while you turn the key on and then wait until it says 'reset'

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sniep posted:

lol at PC GAME

that's PC GAMERZ

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Crusader posted:

i want out of this storyline, thx in advance

dear north korea,

pls throw dennis rodman into a gulag
thx in advance

sincerly,
the internet

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

how long do the discs last though? it seems like with higher storage densities they'd be even more sensitive to the rot that destroys cd/dvd

is there any merit to those m-discs which claim 1000 year longevity when properly stored, or is the gimmick that "proper storage" is a vacuum sealed container in a salt mine where any media would last that long?

i'm somewhat surprised that i have verbatim azo cd-r discs which still read error-free after 20 years while anything burned on cheaper media is long dead. i guess that's what paying roughly $2/disc in 1997 dollars gets you.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 10, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

you can still get a TI-99/4A new in box for cheap if you want to try janky

I do sometimes wonder why the Japanese companies never tried to sell MSX in the US

the msx platform was originally designed by microsoft and was popular in south america and parts of europe too, so it is kind of weird that it never caught on in the us

e: apparently yamaha did try to sell a couple of msx computer models in the us, but they were marketed as music computers and only sold in music stores

e2: there's also a homebrew community that ports games between the msx, coleco and sega sg-1000 because the hardware in all of them is almost identical

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 22, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

the msx sold well in the netherlands, and i think germany and spain too, but software distribution in the 80s wasn't like it is today. msx games from japan would never be released outside japan, and games from europe would never be released outside europe (or even outside specific countries). so while there were msx machines around a lot of the games were fairly lazy ports from the zx spectrum. they're both z80 machines and one of the msx video modes is more or less spectrum-compatible, so with only minor changes you could knock out a port in a few days

konami actually did release a lot of their games in pal land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I remember that software and it was pretty loving amazing. Like it was able to emulate PlayStation games on a 500mhz G3 at what seems like pretty much the same performance as the open sores emulators get today with a computer 4x faster

What was their secret?

dynamic recompilation

p. sure that one of the vgs guys was aaron giles, who was also head of the mame project for a while and wrote the dynarec that's in there now as well as working on the hyper-v team at microsoft.

e: i think it was doing hle emulation of the gpu too

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 30, 2017

• Locked thread