Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The problem for WB is that a lot of people left those theaters saying, "I don't know if I want to see a sequel." We might have another Divergent situation where they're committed to keep making these films that are going to wind up sinking lower and lower with each movie.

The next one is going to have Dumbledore though, right? That'll probably get some people back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure the licensing deal was generous enough but it seems like they'd be better off writing something original at that point than messing with a property whose name recognition is long dead.

Not really, their original films are awful as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Studios#Released

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Last year, people in CD were making fun of people who thought that BvS did bad financially also saying that "people who say this obviously have no idea how Hollywood finances work". Maybe it's different now that's it Hollyweed?

BvS almost definitely made money. But at the same time they spent so much that I'm sure they're also sweating bullets over its performance.

So both are kind of true. It did very well in that it needed to sell a shitton of tickets in order to just break even. And it also did poorly enough that the studio isn't going to be happy with the return on the extreme amounts of cash they dumped into it.

Vince MechMahon posted:

The next one is going to have Dumbledore though, right? That'll probably get some people back.

The second film is generally the make or break moment for a franchise. Sometimes you gain momentum after the first movie has reached saturation (which has been happening a lot lately) and sometimes you lose as people go, "Eh, I'll wait for Netflix."

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 3, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not really, their original films are awful as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Studios#Released
I'm not expecting good things here, on the other hand The Rundown is a fun movie. I'm just surprised they're bothering with the licensing deals when they could just make Asylum style ripoffs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh gently caress I forgot about the WWE Studios film Knucklehead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj712xVNJ_I

They've made a bunch of awful films but Knucklehead alone more than erases any good will they may have earned with The Rundown and the other films starring The Rock.

Edit: oh loving hell, they apparently needed a vehicle to kickstart midget wrestler Hornswoggle's career so they came up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYg51_PFeHA

Note: not at all related to any other leprechaun movie.

That's a hell of a starring role for Hornswoggle: completely covered in FX makeup, further hidden in shadows and not appearing at all in 95% of the shots.
But you've gotta love that Authentic Irish Countryside and all those Authentic Irish Accents. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 3, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Random Stranger posted:

It did very well in that it needed to sell a shitton of tickets in order to just break even.

Given that DC/Warner has absolute control over all permutations of the Batman and Superman IPs it's fairly likely that beavis broke even just on merch tie-in sales, actually.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Given that DC/Warner has absolute control over all permutations of the Batman and Superman IPs it's fairly likely that beavis broke even just on merch tie-in sales, actually.

Apparently Man of Steel's product placement licences put it into the black before it even hit screens and I'd be surprised if BvS was any different, so BvS was massively profitable for WB. But it probably wasn't as profitable as the Marvel Avengers film therefore it's a stinky loser and it smells like a butt and it likes kissing butts.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There is no way BvS wasn't in the black before it started rolling, but it was a failure despite making $873 million because it should have made double that. It had the two most recognizable super heroes worldwide in the same title for the first time ever and was a flagship movie intended to launch a franchise of multiple films a year, instead it had so much bad word of mouth that probably cost them hundreds of millions, caused desperate reshoots on Suicide Squad that turned it into some sort of Frankenstein film, and reverberated down the chain (Suicide Squad had its own, unrelated problems as well!) I don't know how much it affected Wonder Woman, but you can see the tone shift in the Justice League trailer that tries to make it more light-hearted. I'm guessing both of those films will still be a mess, but for different reasons, and it will take another year plus before someone rights their ship and two more years before we see the results in theaters. I also think Flash will be a breakout role in Justice League but his solo movie is being bungled like crazy right now so they won't be able to capitalize on it properly and he'll pop up in some random film like Shazaam.

BvS finished 6th for the year, and that's only because the year ended before Rogue One pulled ahead of it. More money doesn't mean it's a better movie, but the failure is entirely failing to live up to its potential because the film and franchise are fundamentally flawed, something the studio recognized only after the film was released and poisoned the well for future entries. Suicide Squad achieved success in spite of BvS's failure, and from what I saw the better parts appeared to be parts reshot to make the film less dark.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is no way BvS wasn't in the black before it started rolling, but it was a failure despite making $873 million because it should have made double that. It had the two most recognizable super heroes worldwide in the same title for the first time ever and was a flagship movie intended to launch a franchise of multiple films a year, instead it had so much bad word of mouth that probably cost them hundreds of millions, caused desperate reshoots on Suicide Squad that turned it into some sort of Frankenstein film, and reverberated down the chain (Suicide Squad had its own, unrelated problems as well!) I don't know how much it affected Wonder Woman, but you can see the tone shift in the Justice League trailer that tries to make it more light-hearted. I'm guessing both of those films will still be a mess, but for different reasons, and it will take another year plus before someone rights their ship and two more years before we see the results in theaters. I also think Flash will be a breakout role in Justice League but his solo movie is being bungled like crazy right now so they won't be able to capitalize on it properly and he'll pop up in some random film like Shazaam.

BvS finished 6th for the year, and that's only because the year ended before Rogue One pulled ahead of it. More money doesn't mean it's a better movie, but the failure is entirely failing to live up to its potential because the film and franchise are fundamentally flawed, something the studio recognized only after the film was released and poisoned the well for future entries. Suicide Squad achieved success in spite of BvS's failure, and from what I saw the better parts appeared to be parts reshot to make the film less dark.

You're only wrong in the part where you said there are better parts of Suicide Squad. That entire movie is a dumpster fire from top to bottom. Except Jai Courtney, weirdly enough.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

BvS finished 6th for the year, and that's only because the year ended before Rogue One pulled ahead of it.

I also think it's fairly plausible, though by no means certain, that Moana will knock Suicide Squad out of the top ten some time in the next few months. It's still trucking along, and it has a staggered foreign release schedule, so we really have no idea how much it'll make in quite a few territories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think making serious plans based on every single flick in your franchise making over a billion dollars at the box office is poor planning. Disney is the reigning champ of box office last year, but I doubt they care about the box office that much as long as it's big enough to push all the loving merchandise. The money they've made off of TFA and Rogue One in ticket sales is a fraction of the money they've made off of random crap with the word Star Wars on it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

I also think it's fairly plausible, though by no means certain, that Moana will knock Suicide Squad out of the top ten some time in the next few months. It's still trucking along, and it has a staggered foreign release schedule, so we really have no idea how much it'll make in quite a few territories.

Sing might also give it a run for its money. Not that I think that Sing is a great film, just that it's going to be a stupidly popular film just like Secret Life of Pets was.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

You're only wrong in the part where you said there are better parts of Suicide Squad. That entire movie is a dumpster fire from top to bottom. Except Jai Courtney, weirdly enough.

Suicide Squad was dumb.

It was also fun to watch.

I'm not educated enough to debate how the production costs affected the net profits in the US and abroad but I can say, it was fun to watch.

As fun as any comic book mess.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are we going to see an insane amount of new animated movies announced this year? Most of 2016's biggest movies were animated, and you can probably include Jungle Book. I'm not surprised if Lego Batman will outperform every Marvel, DC and Fox movies this year too.

And more importantly, where are all the Video Brinquedo (sp?) and Dingo knockoffs? They must be itching to cash in on this. Will Asylum buy them?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

precision posted:

A lot of people around here like Gods of Egypt and Apollo 18, actually.
Which tells you more about this forum than those movies tbh.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The MSJ posted:

Are we going to see an insane amount of new animated movies announced this year? Most of 2016's biggest movies were animated, and you can probably include Jungle Book. I'm not surprised if Lego Batman will outperform every Marvel, DC and Fox movies this year too.

And more importantly, where are all the Video Brinquedo (sp?) and Dingo knockoffs? They must be itching to cash in on this. Will Asylum buy them?

I imagine that they're going the way of the Physical Movie markets. Why watch 'Story Toys 3' on Netflix when Disney, Pixar, etc seem to be on top of their Netflix releases? Asylum, as far as I know, seem to have been kept afloat by the fact that Syfy's highest ratings seem to come from Sharknado premiers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Needs more Transmorphers and Avengers Grimm.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

There's been an insane amount announced already: a list of 60+ animated films in theatres in 2017.

Also don't forget that 13 of the top 50 films worldwide (unadjusted) were animated (including two Ice Age sequels which each made more money than Batman v Superman) and four of them were from 2016.

A lot of those massively successful animated films cost about the same as non-animated blockbusters (Finding Dory had a production budget of $200 million, Zootopia was somewhere around $150m) but then you'll get something like Secret Life of Pets which cost $75m, made $875m worldwide and was extremely toyetic so it probably made a bunch off merchandising as well. Sing cost the same amount and will also make stupid amounts of money. Those more expensive films probably rolled in the cost of developing new animation tech into the production budget as well, so the top level animation will probably start getting cheaper and the just-making-a-quick-buck crap with big name stars attached like Secret Life of Pets, Sing and Angry Birds will similarly drop in cost. And then you've got bottom tier poo poo like Sausage Party which had production costs of $19 million but made $140m worldwide.

Tl;dr: CGI animation is getting faster, cheaper and more accessible and there's been a lot of successful animated films recently so yeah, there's gonna be an insane amount announced this year.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

twerking on the railroad posted:

Well there kind of is. Just because Johannsen's character doesn't have nipples or a vulva doesn't make it any less inane to have a shootout where you have to be naked to be invisible.

I'm also not sure how it's going to pretend to do anything but slavishly copy the original anime now that Westworld's come out.

Late reply but in the Gits film (I have not seen any other gits things) the nudity actually serves a really interesting thematic purpose. The Major doesn't care about the way her body is perceived by other people because she doesn't see it as her own body anyway, she sees it as property of the agency she works for. One of the characters (I think Batou) gives her a jacket to cover herself up at one point because he still sees her as a person with ownership of her body, and thus someone who should care about modesty. At the end the nudity intentionally dips into the uncanny valley when her body starts straining and buckling during the fight with the spider tank.

I'm sure the authorial intent in the original manga was to have some robot cheesecake but the film turns it into this really interesting dynamic of cinematic objectification serving to highlight the literal objectification and dehumanisation of the character within the narrative.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Red Bones posted:

Late reply but in the Gits film (I have not seen any other gits things) the nudity actually serves a really interesting thematic purpose. The Major doesn't care about the way her body is perceived by other people because she doesn't see it as her own body anyway, she sees it as property of the agency she works for. One of the characters (I think Batou) gives her a jacket to cover herself up at one point because he still sees her as a person with ownership of her body, and thus someone who should care about modesty. At the end the nudity intentionally dips into the uncanny valley when her body starts straining and buckling during the fight with the spider tank.

I'm sure the authorial intent in the original manga was to have some robot cheesecake but the film turns it into this really interesting dynamic of cinematic objectification serving to highlight the literal objectification and dehumanisation of the character within the narrative.

Funny thing is, for all the cheesecake in the Manga, the Major never had to get naked to use stealth camouflage. In fact, she's never naked during any mission. That was all made up for the movie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Renoistic posted:

Funny thing is, for all the cheesecake in the Manga, the Major never had to get naked to use stealth camouflage. In fact, she's never naked during any mission. That was all made up for the movie.

TBF the manga did have a hardcore sex scene plopped in the middle for no reason

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Major breathes through her skin.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Major breathes through her skin.

Common problem for strong women.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

There was a translated interview I saw a while back (and boy I wish I could find it again) where someone asked the creator why there was a full color lesbian sex scene in the middle of the book. He seemed to misunderstand the intent of the question, and provided a very detailed answer about how cyborg sex works and long story short, all cyborgs are only able to have gay sex.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Um, I think you'll find that the Lego Movie had Batman and Superman. Not sure they ever spoke to each other though... I still haven't seen BvS despite owning almost all other batman dvd's and even liking Superman Returns, because all I heard was how boring and unfun it was. Life is boring and unfun enough for me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TTBF posted:

There was a translated interview I saw a while back (and boy I wish I could find it again) where someone asked the creator why there was a full color lesbian sex scene in the middle of the book. He seemed to misunderstand the intent of the question, and provided a very detailed answer about how cyborg sex works and long story short, all cyborgs are only able to have gay sex.

Yeah, it's a bit in Intron Depot, his artbook, which has that scene uncut in it. I believe he said he did the scene as lesbians because "he didn't want to draw male rear end".

Of course, Shirow's tastes have grown in recent years. He's no longer frightened of drawing men's butts but, boy, you wish he was because now we're getting his ingenues getting railed in thirty-man gangbangs by horse men, bird men, black men...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hey what the major does in her free time is her business. Tbh I had completely forgotten about it since I have the old US version where it was cut/censored (scenes with brains being exploded were left as they were of course). And the scene is softcore at most.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope GitS does well so they adapt Dominion Tank Police next, I want to see Giant Penis Tank Mines on a big screen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Renoistic posted:

Hey what the major does in her free time is her business. Tbh I had completely forgotten about it since I have the old US version where it was cut/censored (scenes with brains being exploded were left as they were of course). And the scene is softcore at most.

Nope, you're misremembering
:nws: https://imgur.com/a/jXVle :nws:
It gets more explicit too.

Unsurprisingly, the author/artist now exclusively does porn comics.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope GitS does well so they adapt Dominion Tank Police next, I want to see Giant Penis Tank Mines on a big screen.

This is the correct opinion to have. The story would work better than ever as satire about the militarization of the police.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's a bit in Intron Depot, his artbook, which has that scene uncut in it. I believe he said he did the scene as lesbians because "he didn't want to draw male rear end".

Of course, Shirow's tastes have grown in recent years. He's no longer frightened of drawing men's butts but, boy, you wish he was because now we're getting his ingenues getting railed in thirty-man gangbangs by horse men, bird men, black men...

You ever feel you walked into the wrong internet forum, at just the right time? Feel like you got jumped?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

/\/\/\

Yeah, I'm just going to drop it here. I've gone into too much detail here, when I think I covered this in the GITS thread earlier.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Hell yeah.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Nope, you're misremembering
:nws: https://imgur.com/a/jXVle :nws:
It gets more explicit too.

Unsurprisingly, the author/artist now exclusively does porn comics.

My favourite thing about Shirou is that apparently after years of just doing porn he had a whole pile of notes and drafts for a new non-porn comic ready to go and then he lost them all in the 2011 tsunami, at which point he decided to just stay in the porno comics business for good. It's a real Charlie Brown moment, if Charlie Brown drew porn for a living.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
xXx chat:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I only watched the original which was dumb as all hell, never saw the sequel.

I'd forgotten how dumb it was as well. Here's the scene which introduced Xander Cage and made it really, really clear that he was all in favour of video games and rock music and he was totally against squares who hated skateboarders and Mexicans and he had no respect for The Man. Also he has his own online extreme sport channel called The Xander Zone. He's cool to the max!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcG-rjoYiMo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also that intro scene where an obvious James Bond stand-in goes into some kind of rave club and gets himself killed

They really were trying to make Xander Cage the 21st century James Bond and it was embarrassing

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also that intro scene where an obvious James Bond stand-in goes into some kind of rave club and gets himself killed

They really were trying to make Xander Cage the 21st century James Bond and it was embarrassing

Rammstein played at that club. The movie needed more of that. In fact, Rammstein should have followed Xander cage around all movie long, blasting sick firework whenever he does a thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rammstein is too good for that movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The diner scene would have been pretty good except that it's pretty obviously ripping off the firing gun range scene from MIB from a few years earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7FJwLFxVk4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It really bothered me that they make very clear that xXx is a new type of secret agent and then the soundtrack is all lovely James Bond-style music.

• Locked thread