Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Uber sexism in movie form is the new hotness

quote:

Susan Fowler, the Uber engineer whose blog post about sexual harassment within the juggernaut Silicon Valley ride-hailing service exposed a toxic culture of sexism and sexual harassment that eventually led to the ouster of seemingly untouchable CEO Travis Kalanick? She has pledged her life rights to a movie pitch – working title Disruptors — that will be written by Oscar-nominated Hidden Figures screenwriter Allison Schroeder. Former Disney exec Kristin Burr is producing what is being described as a potential Erin Brockovich meets The Social Network.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/uber-sexism-scandal-movie-susan-fowler-allison-schroeder-harvey-weinstein-mess-1202185082/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently due to a legal issue the Winnie the Pooh origin story "Goodbye Christopher Robin" can't actually use the art from the original book or any of the prose either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

So apparently due to a legal issue the Winnie the Pooh origin story "Goodbye Christopher Robin" can't actually use the art from the original book or any of the prose either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssT1Bw3z3EU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also that Hendrix biopic from a couple of years ago where they couldn't use any of his music. Which was a problem when the movie was about him recording an album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why even go to the trouble of making a movie and spending all that money if you legally can't go all the way with it?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Settlers of Catan is now going to be a movie (or franchise since they bring that up) thanks to Sony, so here is hoping for another email hack to get the background on this one!

quote:

Dan Lin, whose credits include “It” and “The Lego Movie,” and Jonathan Eirich will join the producing team. Blaise Hemingway will write the screenplay.

The studio is fast-tracking the project toward production with the goal of launching a possible franchise. Andrea Giannetti will oversee the project for Columbia.
Hemingway’s credits include the untitled Playmobil movie and “Ugly Dolls.”

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/settlers-of-catan-movie-sony-1202587485/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why even go to the trouble of making a movie and spending all that money if you legally can't go all the way with it?

The nostalgia dollar is still attractive. I'm reminded of that loving awful movie Walt Before Mickey, with Thomas Ian Nicholas, that had to play so fast and loose with the details because they had no rights to use, like, anything.

Edit: Although that movie does have one truly hilarious scene, in which Walt is now a bum on the street, and a police officer is rousting him to get up, and then Walt has the mother of all freakouts--seriously, the performance is hilarious--because the mouse that's been living in his shirt pocket escapes.

So ... Jason Bateman as Kalanick?

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 12, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

The nostalgia dollar is still attractive. I'm reminded of that loving awful movie Walt Before Mickey, with Thomas Ian Nicholas, that had to play so fast and loose with the details because they had no rights to use, like, anything.

Edit: Although that movie does have one truly hilarious scene, in which Walt is now a bum on the street, and a police officer is rousting him to get up, and then Walt has the mother of all freakouts--seriously, the performance is hilarious--because the mouse that's been living in his shirt pocket escapes.

It's like Wired.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

There was also that Hendrix biopic from a couple of years ago where they couldn't use any of his music. Which was a problem when the movie was about him recording an album.

I was really disappointed about this because Andre looked so good as Hendrix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With the success of IT we can expect to see more King adaptations, case in point Amblin Entertainment has hired Josh Boone to write a script for The Talisman.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's like Wired.

I thought the problem with Wired was that the book was written with everyone involved, but then they all tried to torpedo the film once they saw how Woodward portrayed Belushi in the former.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Settlers of Catan is now going to be a movie (or franchise since they bring that up) thanks to Sony, so here is hoping for another email hack to get the background on this one!

We really should get a law going that makes all movie studio executive emails public as soon as they're sent.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

With the success of IT we can expect to see more King adaptations, case in point Amblin Entertainment has hired Josh Boone to write a script for The Talisman.

The Talisman seems like such a no-brainer to make into a good, heart-filled movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nobody is adapting Clive Barker's Thief of Always yet?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

davidspackage posted:

The Talisman seems like such a no-brainer to make into a good, heart-filled movie.

I don't know why they went to so much trouble to turn The Dark Tower into a YA fantasy movie when The Talisman was right there waiting the entire time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Nobody is adapting Clive Barker's Thief of Always yet?

Pretty sure it was announced that there was going to be a movie back when it was first published but then nothing ever came of it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

anyway to throw something more on topic in here I guess. now that they're getting Joker man for Hugh Hefner I guess they gotta get his comic book lady in as one of his wives. guess audiences just can't get enough Jared +Magot? Beats me

How much you bet this will be hagiography instead of showing how creepy and exploitative the dude was. They're rushing this into production before the glut of reputation deflating books of women abused by him come out.

Also y'all can be loving insufferable sometimes. The last few pages, jesus Christ.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

What's the name for the look these films have? It's like, super pristine and totally artifical looking but not CGI-heavy.
I know exactly what you're talking about but also no word to categorise it. It feels like maybe it's something to do with the lighting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sterile?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I think some of it is an artifact of digital cameras, though even DTV stuff from the 90s looks similar so a generic lighting setup is probably the biggest reason, followed by sets that are closed or blocked off to hide that they usually have no extras or only a limited amount for specific scenes. Most of those movies film so fast they can't really play around with camera movement much, so I doubt they are spending lots of time moving lights and microphones either. New cameras making things look a bit off haven't helped.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's immaculate. Hyper real and hyper flat. Like CGI but not quite. Everything is creepily still and evenly lit. Uncanny is probably the word I'm looking for.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

but not CGI-heavy.

I don't know how to break this to you Hundu, but dogs can't really talk.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

It's immaculate. Hyper real and hyper flat. Like CGI but not quite. Everything is creepily still and evenly lit. Uncanny is probably the word I'm looking for.

See, this is how I see most (big) movies these days, with Marvel leading the way. Everything is evenly lit, grey and so mundane looking that it actually crosses over to artificial and lifeless. I always figure it has to with digital cameras and digital color grading/correction, because every now and then I like to watch some generic thrillers etc. from the 90's when everything was still shot on film and most of the colors and shadows have contrast, vibrancy and character whereas most of the stuff nowadays looks so flavorless and drab. Of course there are some positive exceptions depending on the director and DoP like BR2049, but when I see a new trailer for some 150-200M$ blockbuster and it looks like total poo poo, with obvious green screenery and uninspiring sets, I wonder where all the money is going (other than to the equally lovely effects to fill those green screens with).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tars Tarkas posted:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/settlers-of-catan-movie-sony-1202587485/

It should be two hours of a merchant begging someone, anyone to trade him some sheep for his worthless stone, this island has so loving much stone jesus christ, so his family can eat while a trader in the next town over revels in his year of plenty.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That's almost definitely a composite shot tho. The tugboat looks like it's in a controlled pool with a greenscreen backdrop (the water looks way too calm to be Lake Michigan), and the Chicago skyline painted in. What movie is that from?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the vampire buildings in the left with no reflection

edit: okay I see it now

I think I can see the seam of where they go from pool to the actual lake, though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

That's almost definitely a composite shot tho. The tugboat looks like it's in a controlled pool with a greenscreen backdrop (the water looks way too calm to be Lake Michigan), and the Chicago skyline painted in. What movie is that from?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Apparently they filmed the movie in Canada, so definitely a composite.
Rather than spend the money on a greenscreen tank for the boat, it's much cheaper to just film one in the local harbor and rotoscope it to replace the skyline with a stock image that kind of matches the lighting of the plate.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

RBA Starblade posted:

It should be two hours of a merchant begging someone, anyone to trade him some sheep for his worthless stone, this island has so loving much stone jesus christ, so his family can eat while a trader in the next town over revels in his year of plenty.

And then after he finally convinces the guy to trade a single sheep for all his stone, a guy in a grey robe shows up and punches him in the face and makes off with the sheep.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I feel like my radar is broken. I honestly can't tell if Thank You For Your Service will be good or bad or if I'll enjoy it or not. It's a rare feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gd5_i2YfQ

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Addams Family animated film moving forward with the Sausage Party director Conrad Vernon now attached. Snap your fingers once if you think this is a good idea, twice if you think it is a bad idea.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sausage-party-director-tackling-addams-family-1048373

Also Beetlejuice 2, yet another writer, yada yada yada, give me a call when Keaton is wearing the Hawaiian shirts for real

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RBA Starblade posted:

As long as all the peasant snigger every time someone asks if they have wood for sheep.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Addams Family animated film moving forward with the Sausage Party director Conrad Vernon now attached. Snap your fingers once if you think this is a good idea, twice if you think it is a bad idea.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sausage-party-director-tackling-addams-family-1048373

Also Beetlejuice 2, yet another writer, yada yada yada, give me a call when Keaton is wearing the Hawaiian shirts for real
I'd watch an animated Addam's Family movie but I hated Sausage Party. One of my bottom 3 movies of last year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tars Tarkas posted:

Good idea. It's origins as a comic strip and it's wacky characters could lend itself well to animation. I just hope it's a kids movie

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I just read the words "untitled Playmobil movie" and it wasn't a joke or about an Asylum ripoff

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

Was Beetlejuice in Hawaii the actual concept? I always figured it was just an urban legend.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've been wanting to do a small music video project for some time now and since I'm currently unemployed i have the time to do it. I was wondering if adobe premiere is good for editing?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I've been wanting to do a small music video project for some time now and since I'm currently unemployed i have the time to do it. I was wondering if adobe premiere is good for editing?

yeah it's good, particularly if you're already paying for CC.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

I cannot see the name Conrad Vernon and not think we're talking about that punk from Mass Effect who wouldn't leave you alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Good idea. It's origins as a comic strip and it's wacky characters could lend itself well to animation. I just hope it's a kids movie

Someone doesn't want the Addam's Family extended cinematic universe.

• Locked thread