Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My mom let me watch The Fly when it was on TV one night when I was about 10. We got to the bit where he transports the monkey and it comes out all deformed and hosed up. The channel cuts to a commerical immediately afterwards, and my mom decided it was bedtime!

It felt like I laid in bed awake all night waiting for an inside-out monkey to come up the stairs and get me. 20 years later I've still never rewatched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

feedmyleg posted:

Hm. I think my revulsion at 90s aesthetics may have faded just enough to let me try to selectively rewatch the Highlander show for the first time since I was a youngster. That ponytail's still going to be rough, though.

Where on the scale of 90s high-concept Vancouver-filmed TV does it fall in retrospect? More X-Files or more Total Recall 2070?

It's been a while since I've watched it but I feel like it was really good and fun until about the fourth/fifth season when it started to get a bit convoluted. The scenes of McLeod remembering his past were always really well done, the costuming especially. It's possible I'm just biased since I always thought Adrian Paul was drat sexy and extremely talented especially with all the martial arts bits. It makes me sad that he didn't have a better career.

The TV movies are all complete poo poo though.

Edit: Apparently there's a spin off called The Raven? huh, never saw it

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 15, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dear movie studios, please make more things like this. I enjoyed it very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq1IFUlV8s

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Word must be out that The Mummy is going to flop because the brand new luxury theater near me has a grand total of *one* non-3D screening of it each day through Sunday (at 9:10pm, no less). Compared to 12 screenings daily of Wonder Woman. idgi

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

NBC is making a Downton Abbey film, production is starting next year: https://apnews.com/109a5cbbbc3847b88b27b13dbd847740/NBC-says-%27Downton-Abbey%27-movie-production-to-start-in-2018

Can someone convince them to make it a part of 'The Guest' cinematic universe, and bring back Dan Stevens? A super soldier would totally survive a car crash, right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Avatar was a phenomenon when it came out, to the point where I remember national TV news talking about people who became depressed and suicidal because they knew they could never live in the world of the Na'vi. There's also a guy out there who became famous because he covered himself head to toe in blue Avatar tattoos. I can only assume they hope that popularity will be rekindled with the sequels, and their Avatar theme park will make huge sums of money.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, a biopic of someone known to be a pedophile when it was made.

Does Al Pachino as Joe Paterno count?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GrandpaPants posted:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/the-snowman-director-explains-movie-terrible-tomas-alfredson-1201888133/

Who knew cutting 10 to 15 percent of your mystery thriller would make it bad???

They've suddenly started airing new TV spots for this movie that made sure to tell you Martin Scorsese was the executive producer. They have a completely different tone compared to the laughably terrible trailer I've seen in the theater a few times now. It just feels like they're desperate to do anything not to make this movie bomb.

If I get bored I might still go see it thanks to Movie Pass.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Len posted:

I just signed the gf and I up for that the other day and can't wait to get our cards. We have three theaters within 15 minutes that take it so there's never a reason for us to be sitting around bored on a Sunday again. Even if there's nothing we want to see we can at least go and hate watch bad movies

Movie Pass is great, and you should take advantage of it as much as possible before it inevitably goes bankrupt or raises prices back to $30/mo since the hot new thing to do now is scam them by buying gift cards every single day at theaters that haven't caught on yet. gently caress you, assholes on Slickdeals that are ruining a good thing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I thought about signing up for Movie Pass several times at the $30/mo and $40/mo prices, but theaters around here have $6 or $8 matinee showings, so I'd have to do a minimum of 5 movies a month to make it worth it.

I mean when they eventually raise it to $20/mo I'll still be on board, but I'm utilizing it knowing it's not going to be around forever. It sure is nice though to go to a movie you know will probably be poo poo and not have to do the "is this worth me wasting ~$10 on" exercise.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GonSmithe posted:

You pay $10 a month, you can see a movie every day for free but you can only see a movie once.

You use your phone to check into the theater and it sends the money for one ticket to your card, then you buy it like normal. It has nothing to do with chains/studios, you can look up listings for theaters near you that it works with.

You can actually see any movie you want, as many times as you want. They removed that restriction when they changed the price to $10. You also can't do IMAX/3D/special screenings.

The app kinda sucks and a recent update to the Android app completely broke the ability to check into films for one day. Their customer service is basically non-existent so the only reason I learned that was due to Reddit. It also took nearly 2 months to get my card. Going to the movies at least 2x a week though, and only spending $10. Worth it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Enderzero posted:

With Moviepass, the process as described makes it sound like it doesn’t work with theaters where you can pick your seats ahead of time. Do I have that right?

If its a theater that does e-ticketing, then I believe you can. Otherwise, the theaters I go to that have reserved seating is fine as long as you're physically at the theater and buying a ticket for a screening that day.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Check The NeverEnding Story thread.

Is this a joke that went over my head or an actual thread that I just can't seem to find?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Every time I see the group shot of the Dark Universe cast, I just laugh and laugh at Crowe and his photoshopped-out cane.

:allears:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does he use a cane?

The real kicker is obscuring Tom Cruise's feet to hide how tiny he is.

I was about to say yes his character did, but I just watched a couple quick featurettes and don't see him walking with one, so I must be misremembering. Maybe he's got his hand on the back of a chair or something from the original photo shoot?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

porfiria posted:

Only one man is Frankenstein in my heart.

The only good thing that came out of that is the Spanish version of the poster, which still makes me laugh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

teagone posted:

Oh look, another gross rear end creep in Hollywood. This time it's Louis C.K. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/arts/television/louis-ck-sexual-misconduct.html

The NY premiere of his creepy-as-gently caress sounding film just got canceled as well!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Silmarillion: The TV Series would be rad, but based on that press release its gonna be more like The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, which is...less rad.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

Klingon, motherfucker, do you speak it?!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Snooze Cruise posted:

When will Hollywood learn that the only live action manga adaption we need is Monster?

Fixed for you. I haven't given up hope yet. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I feel like I'd have a more fulfilling time reading about all the behind-the-scenes legal wrangling that had to take place for this film to use the likenesses not already owned by WB, than I would sitting through the movie. Or would some of it be considered fair use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jumanji had a surprising amount of dick jokes for a kids movie. I'm assuming it's a kids movie because my theater was chock full of (screaming, obnoxious) children last night. It was kind of bland and forgettable but fun enough. Would recommend if you can go for free/have a MoviePass.

• Locked thread