Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was 12 last time i watched GITS and i really don't get the people complaining about it. Because i dont give a poo poo about the sanctity of anime. And because i am free like this, i can think it looks fine.

Blade Runner has me skeptical conceptually but the people behind it are solid.

Kinda weird people are hung uo on both tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I haven't had any in a while, but I basically went nearly a decade having pretty regular sleep paralysis episodes. one or two a week. It became really tiring, and I had to drug myself to fall asleep sometimes, and sometimes the drugs made it worse.

I knew what was happening and usually I can cope, and usually it becomes a semi-lucid dream where I can walk around, but unlike an actual lucid dream I can't seem to bend the fabric of the dream world or anything. Of course sometimes there would be evil presences I couldn't do anything about and just had to deal with the brain-scrambling it did, and it has a real emotional effect on me when it's like that. I wake up, upset, obsessed with the dream, and it lingers for days sometimes. I get why people think or thought it was real. It can have a really serious impact on the psyche

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Suicide Squad lost me around the third slow motion montage set to a classic rock song. Enchantress almost teases a neat character/villain and instead becomes something real stupid. The joker was the worst version of the joker to make it to film or tv. I was only kind of amused by harley quinn and will smith and that's not enough to carry my attention through the bad movie.

Simplex posted:

The problem is they didn't have enough material to make one movie. The most interesting thing Mila Kunis did in JA is go to the intergalactic DMV. How are you going to make 3 movies out of that?

Actually have Terry Gilliam write and direct it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Maybe Crichton was a hack, but I had a good time reading Jurassic Park and Andromeda Strain. His other stuff may be samey to the point of comedy but those are a good read and considerably better than a lot of science fiction I could've read instead.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

A lot of the "no skeletons in china" talk probably comes from seeing video game companies altering their own artwork/models for a release in China. From what I've heard that is not required tho, they basically alter things that might lead to objections by Chinese officials so that there won't be anything delaying the release of the game. They play it safe to be sure they don't miss out on a huge market.

I know Valve went as far to expand these changes to a "low violence" mode which also removes a lot of the blood.

I really resent the idea of making changes to games or art in the interest of getting past the censors of a lovely insane government. Like it would be one thing to shoot scenes only seen in the chinese market or game textures/changes only for those markets that call for them. It would be nice if Hollywood and everywhere else that sees dollar signs by catering to China if they would make some lame bolt on scenes for the chinese market that doesnt cheapen worsen the western release just to satisfy a government obsessed with control and face gain.

After the ccp gets their cut and the numbers come back completely cooked by the state owned theater chains i can't imagine theyre making all that much money, surely it can't be enough sales to justify making character models look loke dogshit and movies have bizarre and pandering scenes and characters. I hope everyone in the business of making entertainment begins to wise up to how lovely it is.

Thats my rant. I've seen too much media lately with overt out of place scenes that pander to the ccp that makes the movies objectively worse. The less pandering to the ccp the better is a good mantra for anything including games movies and foreign policy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peanut President posted:

To be fair, Low Violence Mode also exists because of issues in Germany.

I meant to bring that up and i forgot because i'm tired enough to rant about the dumb things hollywood does for access to Chinese theaters and media markets, which means i'm also tired enough to forget things like that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

So it's OK for all those Michael Bay movies and whatnot to give sloppy blowjobs to the US government and military, but it's a travesty the moment it's another country instead?

lolling forever

Every time someone complains about the horseshit people do for the ccp some one cries about america in retaliation. :rolleyes:

Sorry man, there's a big difference in a domestic film production making overly patriotic cheese for its home country versus sterilizing the content and shoehorning in CCP propaganda into a movie to get permission for a run in china. China is free to do that for themselves they don't need us to ruin our own movies to protect the sensibilities of the communist party of china

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Part of the globalization is because it's cool to get extra money from the box office of other countries, and part of it is you can blow up New York only so many times before it gets even more boring. At least they are tossing cars around in Korea, Africa, and fictitious Balkan countries than the usual US cities.

More money is cool, submitting to the whims of a lovely oppressive government to get more money isnt. I dont care about having asians in scenes or scenes in Asia im general. I'm actually firmly in the "diversity is good" camp, and i am also firmly in the "gently caress the chinese government i really dont care how much money theyre getting, changing stories and self censorship to legally distribute your products there is morally wrong" camp. Im talking about things done specifically with chinese censors in mind. I find it irritating that i need to even make the distinction as i thought most people outside of China were on the same page about how lame chinese censorship is on a good day and outright loving terrible and orwellian it is on a bad day.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

To be fair i dont think the wachowskis can make any more good matrix movies or maybe even any good content at all based on like 2/3 of cloud atlas, all of Jupiter ascending, and sens8

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jupiter Ascending has an amusing and entirely unearned foray into something interesting with the comedic bureaucratic nightmare of getting your space princess titles in order that almost shows an interesting world and begins an interesting plot, that instead rapidly returns to the YA-LadyNeo hero's journey. Even the whole recycling humans thing is stolen from the matrix where it doesn't really work. If us lowborn DNA Pulp humans can make amino acids by basically doing the physics/chemistry equivalent of picking your nose, it kind of speaks to the incompetence of the space world that they don't manufacture their varied DNA sequence goo in a process that doesn't require eating habitable worlds in a manner that's loving unsustainable the same way using a human being to generate a battery is.

Cloud Atlas almost works, and then it doesn't. For me, anyway. The stories almost link up in a beautiful way, the good even elevating the weak ones a bit, and it just doesn't work. The nearly the whole neo-seoul story doesn't work, except the Soylent Green stuff, it's bad, and it doesn't sync at all with the rest of it.

The Wachowskis have two good movies, they're The Matrix and Speed Racer and seem like the kind of people, like George Lucas, with cool ideas who need smarter people to filter it through.

So, Warner Bros has a movie that mostly works, and 2 with some ideas that are kinda cool, and they can probably make something greater than the sum of the original trilogy easily without any input from the wachowskis.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i've just realized the wachowskis pretty much just make tortured homages to soylent green. Now I need to watch Speed Racer to see if it... fits...

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Any love for V for Vendetta? It has a terrible reputation nowadays due to its symbolism getting stolen by internet trolls and the alt-right but it's still a good movie separate from that

It's one of a few i have on blu ray because i used to like it.

Im gonna over think this because I've watched it a fair bit.

Watched it a couple of months ago and i just had a dramatic falling out with it. Im thinking about trading it in for a dollar or two of store credit somewhere.

I cant really relay what collapsed in my mind but a whole lot of things i used to not notice stuck out badly. It's a preachy movie, but it uses a pretty tepid kind of american liberalism as the source of the impending revolution, that's proven utterly punished and dysfunctional by the authoritarian right wing. Maybe it's a change in context, because ive watched kids get killed and militarized police fire into crowds since i had sat down and watched it, and i know that in the real world Evey would have never aided v and while V may have ultimately provoked a response it would've been stomped into the ground by a state like that.

Reality crushed the joy out of the movie. It just sucks

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hate V for Vendetta, not because it's bad, but because it's not an anarchist manifesto like the original comic. I'm not an anarchist, but it jsut seems wrong to change a message like that.

I think that's kind of what's killing me, everything about this story screams extremism except the movie has a bunch of people preaching enlighenment/liberal era notions of society and class.

V is still an insane terrorist extremist I guess, but they contain it to just him. The only other extremists are Ironic John Hurt & His Nazi Henchmen. A violent anarchist sends his psychic echoes through society by planned acts of terrorism, that then excites their primal urge to... march peacefully & quietly demand reform.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

got any sevens posted:

But even marching quietly was too much for the nazis, so they were still breaking the law with their protest, which is enough for this story. It doesn't need to apply to real life to be a good story.

Hell, even in real life we have lots of modern laws being made to limit gatherings and such (free speech zones, needing permits for protests, etc).

The thing is that V For Vendetta is blatantly not just a story, but is overtly moralizing, both the graphic novel and the movie, but the movie doesn't really work. The morals of the movie are breaking the story they adapted.

Like, just look: This movie has stephen fry doing everything he can not to stare straight into the camera while lecturing on homosexuality, and the absurdity of a koran being illegal, his secret room that contains everything that's transgressive about his mind save one thing, but transgressive in a liberal vs. conservative sort of way, not in the spirit of a radical anarchist against the authoritarian right sort. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I'm further left than this movie, and i'm not a straight person, so I earnestly agree with his sentiments. Don't take it wrongly, but that moralizing is unacceptable in a movie about an anarchist initiating social upheaval through murder and terrorism. The goal of pushing society to be transgressive was not to validate stephen fry's absurd collection of illegal art and history, nor his orientation, nor to make conditions so unstable that police kill children that results in a peaceful march. That guy wants everything torn down. He guts the government himself, blows up buildings that are both symbols of democracy and oppression, and he didn't do it to initate a pacifist movement.

This clash between the heavy handed inserted moralzing of the movie, and the overtly conflicting ideology of the underlying story make it bad. Even if that's done on purpose it's bad. I have a much better feel for why I don't like this movie now, this has been therapeutic.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how are they even going to do the red pill scene in new matrix in a post-trump mra-ruled america

Best thing possible would just recreate it nearly shot for shot, just invert the colors.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The wachowskis are batshit enough for it to not be this way but isnt it pretty well implied by what neo pulls off in the "real" word that It's very likely a simulation too

A better solution to the architect's problem isn't choice but nested realities. People reject the matrix? Wake them up in a new world. Do it enough times they eventually accept it. Like the false awakening of a dream makes your mind more readily accept What's happening

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 18, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It doesn't break the rules if Zion sits inside of a simulation too.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I would hate it 100% more if i am actually supposed to take his super-power scenes in the 'real' world as some kind of ungrounded metaphor when these movies were extremely literal and used characters and props to convey every other intended piece of subtext. That would piss me off real bad, like THIS long after the movie came out that's hosed up. i refuse to even consider it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i really enjoy the architect scene if only because there are so few movies that would even endeavor to pack that many $10 words into a monologue but yeah its mostly bad

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The wachowskis are very philosophical ladies, and i've seen them go on really dumb philosophical tangents in interviews that makes me think they're just well-read and lucky idiots, but The Matrix and Speed Racer are good movies regardless.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It was funny but it doesn't hold up at all. Will Ferrel's bit is still kinda funny but the rest of it comes off as desperate and dated.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Enter The Matrix was perfectly good and above what could possibly be expected for a tie-in licensed game. I played it twice for both characters. I can't say i'll ever play it again or think of it fondly though

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The matrix online also deserved better than it got.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Eva Green, naked or otherwise, is the best part of a slew of bad movies. One of these days, I hope she becomes the best part of a good movie (although I hear Penny Dreadful was pretty good?)

penny dreadful is bad, kind of like how true blood was bad, it takes its premise sorta seriously at first but ditches it by the end. It's watchable TV and given how short of a run Penny Dreadful had, i recommend watching it, but fast forward through anything where frankenstein's monster is on screen too long.

eva green writhing around naked demon possessed is kinda awesome but it has merits beyond sexiness, but it's 100% camp.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think you're overstating the potential effect whitewashing controversies can have on general moviegoers.

if i find some time and extra cash i might go see GITS but i've already seen the anime years and years ago and i dont feel like watching the movie again but different.

The effect the anime loving whiners have is overstated too. The marketing campaign was really bad and the lack of screening/coherent advertising is causing it to crash and burn.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

As a counterpoint, is there a film that had a whitewashing controversy that did really well? Off the top of my head, every one I can think of was a flop. Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt (though that was hardly the only issue) Prince of Persia and Exodus all did really poorly.

You can say it didn't hurt it, I would argue that it sure as poo poo doesn't help.

I'm a pessimist but I think that kind of controversy may well give it a boost, just not enough of one to correct for the movie's other failings.

My personal view is that I understand hollywood whitewashing, in that I would expect no less from an industry in which so much capital is invested. When large sums of money is at stake, investors become conservative, conservative investors want recognizable names as a safety feature. Cast diversity and other things take a huge backseat to those concerns. They also see something like GITS rightly as an adapted work of fiction, and unlike a historical drama where there's real cause to color/ethnicity match, there's no reason to not to just change your characters as you see fit to maximize your profit. How many big-name Japanese actresses are there that are household names in the United States? Can they put more butts in seats than scarlett johansson? There's probably data that contradicts this kind of thinking but when you have a few millionaires and billionaires producing a majority of all the movies made, it just takes a few dumbasses making bad executive decisions with their busted logic and comic amounts of money.

The main thing to them is it's not like GITS is a mickey rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany's situation. She's just a character that changed color in the jump to the big screen. Not much else changed (although apparently the whole movie got more boring).

I also get why people want diverse casting and faithful adaptations, fiction or not. In fact, I prefer it, I just know money makes people do stupid things to protect it.

I also know that there are people who, when they see and hear white-washing controversies, start screaming about ~PoLiTiCaL CoRrEcTnEsS GoNe MaD~ and do whatever thing they think best spites the source of the outcry.

I also know that despite the fact the internet brings all these things together, you have a lot of people like me who shrug and watch movies that they find appealing, regardless of the surrounding controversy. This intuition doesn't usually lead me into a theater to watch boring things like GITS, but it did lead me to getting stoned one day and watching Cop Out with a friend, whose ticket I paid for. I paid $20 on cop out because I don't give a poo poo what nerds are mad about on the internet, so i pretty much ignored the massive poo poo the internet took on kevin smith and now I have memories of loving Cop Out that I can't seem to get rid of.

I'm not saying this kind of apathy is a blessing or a curse but I'd argue its more prevalent than people getting worked up and invested in casting controversies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

K. Waste posted:

The problem is that "diversity is good," while true, is not an adequate enough stance against the intersecting forces of injustice. If the Power Rangers are a hodgepodge of different social groups that come together in solidarity, there is still the issue of what the Rangers stand for. Same with the Avengers and Justice League. Same with the Toretto clan.
Why is this war of injustice taking place, to you, in television and movie casting? There are so many places where class struggle actually matters compared to the creative output of bourgeois american and japanese media enterprises. Also, It would be loving impossible to enjoy movies if i thought like you apparently do every time i queued something on netflix or went to the theater.

Sorry the place you're taking this discussion seems bizarre and out of place to me

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think there's enough evidence to make both Depp and Heard big ol' pieces of poo poo, but i don't follow these things, I've been presented enough that I casually have no sympathy for anyone there. Which kinda sucks because she rules in Drive Angry and I've liked his movies sometimes, even that jack sparrow-only pirates of the carribean movie everyone was mad at, but they can both rot, johnny probably edging out amber heard for shittiness.

If either of them manages to make a movie i want to see i'm not gonna boycott it for anything that happened though

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

what i heard (haw) is she gives as hard as she takes and was pretty sociopathic. again though i pay next to zero attention to celebrity drama so maybe my info is out of date.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

How many native Hawaiians are actors with contacts in/access to Hollywood? There can't be that many.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I mean the onus is kind of on Hollywood to go and find them in this situation. I'm sure whatever studio is making this can manage flying some people out to Hawaii and doing auditions.

My point is that Hollywood is an insanely insular, incestuous place as a matter of course, and really risk averse. Like, the kind of risk you take in finding new talent to fill in a minority lead you can thoughtlessly shove a tan white dude into is something I can see them doing without malice.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

so 2/3 of VHS and all of VHS 2?

Are you proud of this terible opinion? WELL?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, VHS and VHS 2 sucked

Nah they're two of the best horror movies of the years they came out.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

poorly shot amateur video goes back before the internet and yet still isn't half the sin of twitter's mere exisence. Nested comments ranked by popularity are, too, worse a crime.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

So like, have you actually been around a Mexican ever? They don't identify as white my man.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 7, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was on an all-night youtube binge and I happened across that Blomkamp thing not knowing it was in production. I dig it a lot. I didn't even realize it was Blomkamp until the credits rolled, although sigourney weaver showing up should have told me it wasn't some random shoe-string budget short film.

It teases a lot of lore and they're selling steam assets to fund it further, so i'm wondering if they want to make a game with enough money.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I know that the whole meme-heavy joke laden thing doesn't jive here at all but people really do like borderlands and would probably pay for a ticket to its movie(s)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, it's very linear, you just get randomized items. My point was more about obsessively just playing the same games over and over and over

He's talking about borderlands, not diablo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

he made an account for that retweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

duke's a former body builder chick magnet with his best days behind him. He's a homeless alcoholic with nothing but his memories to keep him together. he starts to see the pigs when he puts on his shades. walking in society, ignored and unseen. big pulsing phallic skyscrapers of organic machine meat inspire gigerian nightmares haunting his psyche.

Even the babes... man the babes ain't looking so hot.... and showin some fangs...

So he bashes in some nerd's face, everyone has a meltdown, he steals the "pig's" "regenerator", then you cut into a bog standard cover based third person FPS that looks a lot like gears of war and terminates at hour 7 for the dlc that parodies ummm Destiny. """ironically"""

• Locked thread