Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cannoball run in China sounds like my kind of flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Wait the first one came out and I wasn't notified?

Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (2015)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I haven't watched it, but I haven't heard anything good. I loved Marble Hornets and own the Blu Ray of the series so I should at least give it a watch I guess.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It bored my rear end off so I can't honestly say I've watched it.

Ooph, boring is like the worst thing you can say about a horror movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I like dull in service of something, but the ideas were also dull.

I'd argue that dull in service of something is different than boring, but not sure I could explain the distinction well enough. You are right though, a very interesting idea presented flatly is still worth the runtime in some cases.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 5, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

I liked MH at the time, though I kinda hate season 3. But yeah the movie is really fuckin' boring and lame.

I remember posting in the thread and chatting with ya a bit. :wink:

And yeah, S3 was not as good as I hoped, but I dig the the last few entries.

Dull in service of something = The Last Broadcast.

This reassures me. I feel like we are on the same page with our use of boring then.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The whole movie takes place in McAvoy's mind

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Actually, (and I only know this because there was a brief period where articles were written before the studio told them to get the gently caress off the internet until the movie was released) the twist is that James McAvoy's character was created for a sequel to Unbreakable and this movie is in the same continuity.

You jest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why do so many trailers these days start with a short clip from the trailer we're about to watch?

Do trailer houses assume everyone watching has the attention span of a mosquito and that you better have a few second long mini-trailer in front of the trailer for the people who will tune out halfway through the real trailer?

I've read on here that they do it as a preview of the preview to play before auto-ads. Not sure if that's true.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Isn't The Happening a comedy?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Visit was pretty good and pretty funny. I'll probably check out Split for McAvoy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dragging him to hell obviously

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Attack on Titan is gross and I don't like the idea of movies about people being eaten whole.

quote:

I Think My GM Wants to Eat Me

Alright, I know the title might turn you off, but I'm really worried and I was hoping I could get some advice. We've been meeting for Star Wars biweekly for about a few months so far and everything's been going really well! We blew up a Star Destroyer, did some reconnaissance on Hoth before the big battle and hunted down and revealed an imperial spy on the base on Yavin. That kind of stuff. Really good character stuff going on in between. The GM's a real good friend of mine and I've known him for a long time. But things got really weird after our last game. I had a thing going on before the game and I showed up a little late. Like 20 minutes or so by my reckoning. Everyone filled me in on what had gone on and we kept playing like usual. But then, in the game we got an urgent message to meet with a Hutt boss who wanted to make a deal with the rebellion. It was kind of out of left field but we figured we were probably going to get something good out of pursuing this quest line so we went.

Obviously, it was a trap and the Hutt betrayed us and was trying to sell us out to the ISB. After a short battle we all got captured and the other player characters were stuck in a floating repulsor harness. Then the Hutt character proceeded to eat my character. Like I didn't get to roll for anything or nothing. That would've been weird enough if he didn't spend like 3 whole minutes of uninterrupted description about how the Hutt's digestive system was squeezing down against me. The GM also had an orange in his hand that he was squeezing as he talked about it. There was a small cut into the orange which caused the juices to wrap around his hand while he very specifically described the Hutt gumming through my character.

It got to a point where I had to excuse myself and go to the bathroom. I went and just sort of sat there for a while wondering what the hell was going on. After the game, the GM had somewhere he needed to go, which was fine because it would've been really uncomfortable for me to broach the subject with him.

After that, I really didn't feel like going back to the game. I was really uncomfortable, I didn't have a good time, and I just didn't wanna deal with any more weirdness, so I made up some excuse and quit the game. That would have been okay, and I could have just chalked it up to an incompatibility in playing style, but I see him regularly and things have changed between us. I see him around campus at the school I go to and I wave at him to be friendly and all that, but he just gives me this stare. At first, I wasn't sure what he was trying to convey, but I thought about the game, and I realized it was exactly like the look of hunger that he described the Hutt having before he jammed my character into his mouth. I eventually began to wave at him less and less, but he kept giving me that stare. Recently, he's begun carrying a bag of potato chips around with him, and as soon as he sees me, he just pulls one out, looks at me, then the potato chip, and just slowly slips it into his mouth, not even chewing. He just crushes the chip with his gums, getting it all over his face. It's disgusting. I don't even talk to him anymore, but I sometimes get texts from him about coming back to play, with scheduled times and everything. The weird thing is though, I asked my other friends who were in the game if they were still playing, and they said that the campaign ended a while ago.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C4qqsgs8w

First trailer for reference.

I don't really think it's that edgy. Melodramatic maybe

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Suicide Squad is more worthy of an Oscar nomination than most of the comic book movies last year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

That's what I mean. SS OTOH....

Had great hair and makeup, clearly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

lovely blockbusters get nominated for technical awards all the time.

Award shows are pretty meaningless.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Between Killer Croc, Enchantress and Joker I think there's enough to justify a nomination.

I don't know where the line between costuming and this category ends, but either way I did really enjoy the look of a lot of the characters.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

Something like 90% of people vote the opposite of what their parents did though.
Do you have a source for this?

The only recent study I'm finding is from 2005 and it says the opposite of this, but is only for teens 13-17. 71% of teens reported sharing the same political beliefs as their parents.

e: and 25% of kids with liberal parents claim to be more liberal than their parents, while 4% claim to be more conservative.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 26, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

I'll admit it wasn't a good joke, but was it that hard to identify as a joke?

Sorry I live in a world where Trump is president and alt facts are a thing. I get jumpy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

She and all her friends died and no one lived happily ever after.

Fitting really

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

She was in Suicide Squad so this is a step above that.

You mean Oscar nominated Suicide Squad

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Japan's weird, they were all in on the Minidisc, weren't they? And I had no clue Beta had stuck around that long.

haha minidiscs, I had one of those.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/crissles/status/830150270634037248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
TMNT 2 ruled.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Wait what. Waller just kills a room full of nerds

Yup, she's stone loving cold in the pic. She's the real villain, she just happens to get away.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Any reason given, other than just full blown jock rage?

I'll spoiler it just in case, so basically the mission the crew is on is revealed to be a mission to save Waller after Enchantress gets loose. Once the team arrives to rescue her she kills all the agents in their safe base (mostly computer jockeys) since everything they do is super classified and they're expendable in her eyes.

It kind of comes out of nowhere and was pretty cool because of that surprise. She's just talking to Flagg and Deadshot (who is rightfully pissed about the mission at this point), and then blam!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm curious how you know that Suicide Squad has nothing interesting to exhume but don't know what happens in the movie.

I also don't think Sqwad was a commercial failure. It made a truck load of money, even though it was mediocre at best.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really, I have genuine trouble saying that suicide squad was irredeemably bad in light of how well Waller was handled, I'm not especially invested in the suicide squad comics but Waller was done perfectly as a cold blooded black ops Agent in way over their head.

The movie has a lot of cool stuff in it like that. The characters are all pretty well done, some maybe a little undercooked compared to their co-stars, but each has enough of their own personality to stand out. Waller being capital E Evil was a good choice by Ayer, and Enchantress's master plan to make an unholy machine that wipes out the planet's surveillance apparatus was cool.

Improbable Lobster posted:

So fid BVS. But neither made the billion that WB was aiming at.
Squad was 10th overall in overall box office. I highly doubt WB was super upset about that. If you have insider info on WB's projected revenues for Squad please share though. I find that stuff interesting.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 21, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

lol well that's incredibly dumb.

And didn't know Suicide Squad's BO numbers. All I know is that I sure as hell don't want to watch it.

Fair enough. It's a worse version of Escape from New York for the most part.

I do hope Croc gets a reappearance some where in the DCEU, he was my favorite character in the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you haven't read it, The Dan O'Bannon Guide to Screenwriting is one of the best writing books I've ever read.

Thanks for this rec. I've been trying to get back into writing and this is the perfect book to help motivate me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

loooooooooooool

"Will people not get access to healthcare due to this bill"

"What I can say is that there will not be any costs to the federal govt"

sir, this is Wendy's

(I'm watching and live posting in DnD/CSpam as well)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

Who greenlighted this healthcare bill is a p good question though

https://www.gop.com/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It took me a while to figure out what was going on because it came right after RoboCop chat.

Like, "What I can say is that there will not be any costs to the federal govt" is basically a RoboCop line.

We do kind of have Pres Jones

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Just make him whatever size he needs to be and don't mention it at all ever because who cares

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
90s Godzilla did have all those eggs in the Square Garden

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Heathens is a pretty weak track

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Atomic Blonde red-band trailer, this is looking badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5Re6tFvFA

I love Charlize so much

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Femur posted:

Do they ever have king kong using weapons?

Like giant guns? He throws trees and uses them as clubs if that's what you're asking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I've only seen one clip of Speed Racer but it was one of the ugliest things I've seen.

smh

• Locked thread