Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Couple pages back, but I could of swore at a couple of points it's been said that Vin Diesel is notoriously hard to work with and even got called out by The Rock during Fast and the Furious filming. It seems like he's usually pretty lovely behind closed doors and is more than willing to take his ball and go home when he gets called out on his poo poo.

Fake Edit: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/rock-doesn-regret-calling-vin-diesel-fast-8-drama-article-1.2880267

I thought it was basically revealed this was just primer for Vin Diesel going on Wrestlemania or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The trick is to just pay yourself to be distributor and promoter via cross-industry synergy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Phylodox posted:

1983 was also the year my mum sent me over to the college kids next door to be babysat

That seems brave of her.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We watched Name of the Rose in 10th grade history class and no one complained. One of the rare classroom movies I liked.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Wasn't in school, but I was in band and interested in music theory and watched Amadeus on my own (probably over two sittings) and loved it. Still love it. Historical veracity aside, Salieri is such a great character and the Requiem composition scene will stick with me for a long time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We used to have Milo and Otis on VHS when I was young, and I was pretty bummed when I read about the alleged stuff behind the scenes on it. Wiki says it was never fully verified, but hard to excise that smoke even if there was never a fire... I couldn't watch it now without just thinking about that the whole time.

(Or most animal-starring Hollywood movies at this point)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
TMNT should've been nominated for Best Brain Monster.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's all just biding time until Bill & Ted 3.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

When he spit electrics, don't be in ya'll saunas.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Man, in 1999 the Matrix was like...

that whole bit starting with the armory/metal detector/lobby shootout/morpheus rescue/helicopter crash/bullet dodge/subway fight/final awakening was relentless. It was like when T2 hits that point of no return midway through at the Dyson's where it doesn't let up for the remainder. I love that whole sequence.

2+3 got pretty out there, when they came out I remember trying to look to the highway chase/staircase fight as redeeming of all the other weird poo poo, but then 3 really lost me for the most part. There's a handful of bits I like across the two movies but I haven't seen them in forever and I wasn't engaged by pretty much any of the Zion stuff.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
That part with the TV guy in the shower watching himself and quoting along cracks me up. I basically assume Trump ends his day like that. I also want a home shower cube like that some day.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seifer: Origins

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yesss

Electromax
May 6, 2007

21 Muns posted:

The only explanation I can possibly imagine for this is that the remaster team outright lost the original coloring, and figured "gently caress it, it doesn't matter, we can just guess what the original colors were based on context" because they were very bad at their job.

It was actually overseen/produced by Brian Bolland, the original artist. The Flex Mentallo recolor was also done, according to Doherty, "in close collaboration" with Quitely. Pretty odd.

Most of these edits are explicitly/intentionally done to make the comics look more 'modern' which in the 2000s means muted more realistic colors. Not saying that to defend it, but I don't think they set out trying to recreate the colors at all. They probably got directed to get rid of some of the more 'garish' colors of the originals or whatever, for presumably stupid reasons.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Mulan was always my favorite 90s Disney movie, Aladdin/Lion King/B&tB were so popular that I was trying to be cool by liking that and Hunchback when many of my peers did not (really liked the architecture and gothic vibe to the latter). The whole avalanche stampede part was too cool for a Disney cartoon.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I saw 2014 Godzilla twice, and the 2nd time we got DBOX tickets because they were having a promotion. It was actually pretty neat. The seats don't shake per se, more like they're on little platters that let them tilt, rotate a bit and there are controls to disable or make 1-3 strength. We were both laughing when it starts on a helicopter swooping around and the seats kind of moved with the swoop. I assumed it would be a distraction from the movie but we ended up having fun - for the right movie/attitude at least. Not worth the high price it normally commands though (although even IMAX pushes that for me).

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

DBOX is the most ridiculous thing ever introduced to movies.

Don't forget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision

Electromax
May 6, 2007

parallelodad posted:

I think Ridley probably thought "Do I want to make exclusively nerd poo poo my whole career?" and decided no.

I dunno, Angelina Jolie might've relaxed that association in the cinema realm a bit.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think Pennywise from the TV series was pretty heavily based on Bozo anyway, except for the red mouth paint.

Bozo relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXtHU_HGXs

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The part about the kid who locks live animals in a fridge in the forest is always the creepiest part I think of, mostly because of how the "grooming" is described where he feeds the dog for months or whatever to lure it in. It was the kid who is MISSING in that trailer, IIRC.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Spatula City posted:

is it ethical for a Western media to take footage from a Japanese show and appropriate it for an American show with very little acknowledgement? Is that not a fundamentally racist, imperialist project?

Also, are Space Ghost and Sealab 2021 an ageist gently caress you to 60's Hanna-Barbera?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

People watched Die Hard and loved Al so much that they then proceeded to watch him for 10 more years, even when he got upstaged by Urkel.

I assume this was posted already, but I didn't see it in last couple pages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I assumed a lot of people died offscreen during the pterodactyl attack since there were so many people on the streets and so many dinos swooping around, they just only focused on one person and in a way normally reserved for a minor villain or something. Maybe all the other people were just good runners.

e: It's mostly just as ambiguous as possible. But I like the old guy grabbing 2 margaritas as he runs.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 26, 2017

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

That's not just an old guy, that's Jimmy Buffett!

Good eye. The margaritas become doubly justified.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Saddest JP death is definitely Eddie getting bisected by the T-Rexes in 2, at the peak of heroism. He's like the anti-lawyer guy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If you were gonna make a modern Voltron movie, you would probably have a tough time selling investors on pretending it's a completely unrelated movie up through release just to... make a few fans go whoa?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I haven't read most of his recent stuff in that time, Buick '88 I can't remember any of but Revival I loved. Maybe not to the degree of It or The Stand, but really liked how it developed.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I haven't seen it in a long time, but IIRC Predators has a little mini-bit toward the end where the nu-Arnold teams up with the smaller predator to take down the alpha dude. Maybe that was limited to him releasing the smaller guy from captivity, I forget.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It isn't like adult Nathan Drake is a radically inventive new character, either.

Charismatic Holland with a solid Sully could make for a fun mentor buddy movie, something between adult Indy and the Tintin movie from a few years ago. The levels of the game they allude to involve teen Drake trying to steal a relevant thing from a museum in Colombia and encountering an older thief who was hired to steal it too. Older guy has standard change of heart when his boss wants to kill the kid and takes him under his wing for a lifetime of adventure.

e: I guess I'll say that I find that idea mildly more interesting than another Indy/National Treasure 35-year old white guy archaeologist. But Uncharted doesn't really lend itself to interesting movies for the story, only for maybe the setpieces that are less compelling when you aren't actually playing.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm kind of surprised they didn't rewrite the scene where Jack Sparrow has a 300-2-esque sex fight with the female villain when they recast to Javier Bardem.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
[quote="Gatts" post=""472744935" "]
a Master and Commander type ship to ship naval warfare and strategy.
[/quote]

It's a shame that movie still basically stands alone in modern films about that era. The Galapagos parts were so good.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Please do not talk about pirating movies on this subforum.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

:allears:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/07/the-mummy-review-tom-cruise

quote:

the lantern-jawed and rather forgotten Brendan Fraser

quote:

In one scene [The Cruisemeister] is nude so we can see what undeniably great shape he’s in. The flabby, shapeless film itself doesn’t have his muscle-tone

quote:

Russell Crowe lumbers on at one stage, amply filling a three-piece suit

Only "The Cruisemeister" is safe from being put on blast.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Alex Cursedman

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah

Man, I hope this lives up to my hopes like G'14 did.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Bay is one of the greatest directors working today specifically because he uses big budget Hollywood franchises to show how loving ugly modern day America is. The fact the films make billions of dollars is all the proof you need that he's right.

If the audiences and critics all took the wrong message though, and the only people who recognize the commentary were already 'in on the joke', it's hard for me to see that as a noble accomplishment vs. movie war profiteering. Seems like his satire only strengthened and reinforced those institutions while he preached to the choir. What is it meant to achieve to remedy that ugliness, if anything?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Was the last major kid's adventure film starring kids that JJ Abrams one with the alien escaping a train?

Stranger Things isn't a movie but it got talked about as much as one. I think the kid actress who played Eleven got cast in Godzilla 2 and other stuff now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Young Freud posted:

having the entire political party's primary challengers dying publicly in the middle of a televised debate or having the entire majority party of Congress dying mysteriously after signing legislation would get some major attention.

That might come off a little tone-deaf given recent events and the current climate of political rhetoric...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it'd be the exact opposite of tone-deaf.

A movie that had a bunch of trailers showing dude gleefully murdering a Congress full of party-I-dont-like politicians over some political philosophy when there was just a shooting at a baseball game and the NRA is sending out those emails would feel pretty tone-deaf to me. I see enough people calling for that on Facebook already. In a world with the Purge and Battle Royale and such I don't think it would be commendable/radical really, just a movie about if James Hodgkinson found a magic book.

• Locked thread