Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

I just wish they'd spend a bit of it on giving her a new theme instead of that god awful one they used for her in Superman vs. Batman.
Shut your god damned mouth, that was like the best theme in the entire movie.

This is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think most of the recent blockbuster "failures" post are only failures because the studios expected to do better than the most successful movies ever made, not on par with, better.

If you're an accountant from outer space and looked at BvS with zero cultural context you'd say, "do this more."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think making serious plans based on every single flick in your franchise making over a billion dollars at the box office is poor planning. Disney is the reigning champ of box office last year, but I doubt they care about the box office that much as long as it's big enough to push all the loving merchandise. The money they've made off of TFA and Rogue One in ticket sales is a fraction of the money they've made off of random crap with the word Star Wars on it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Is that as a neg? I suspect it is.

It's not "I like your hair, is it real?" but it's close.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Allegedly, former NYC Club Kid James St. James is going to be part of the YA movie scene in 2017.

"St. James published a second book, Freak Show[,] in 2007, a comedy/romance about a teenage drag queen who attends a new school and forges a relationship with the quarterback of the football team. Freak Show was named to the American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults list. The book will be adapted into a feature in 2017 by Maven Entertainment. The film is set to be directed by Trudie Styler, and will star Alex Lawther, Abigail Breslin, and Bette Midler." So says Wikipedia.

Sounds better than those Divergent movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phylodox posted:

There was a cartoon of Robocop. Pretty sure you could buy Freddy Krueger bed sheets. Hell Rambo had a cartoon, complete with toy line. I still have my posable plastic Sly holding my charger cords on my bedside table.

God bless the 80s.

So many toys based on R rated films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm just surprised it's not Ocean's 20 and the combined salaries of all the women is still less than they paid the main cast of Ocean's 11, before inflation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Sean Connery's one handsome motherfucker.

Edit: Speaking of Connery, we got to watch You Only Live Twice in high school chemistry once, but only because I had it on me. Something went wrong with the teacher's lesson plan or the supplies were missing, and he was wondering what we could do. I was just like, "uhh, I have a James Bond movie in my bag" so he wheeled in the TV and we watched it.

My tenth grade history teacher stopped giving a gently caress the last couple weeks of school so we watched a bunch of random flicks, including Entrapment, featuring a very old Connery hitting on Catherine Zeta-Jones. She eventually married Michael Douglas in real life, so maybe it was less creepy for her to do than for the rest of us to watch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MH Knights posted:

In a college PR/media relations class I convinced the professor to let use watch Wag the Dog which she had never even heard of. Needless to say she gave me a couple of angry looks during the movie. We did have a decent discussion afterwords so it turned out all right.

I showed part of The People vs Larry Flynt in a US History class as part of a project about the first amendment.

That's a pretty good movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I remember Courtney Love being good in that.

Legit, no insult

She is, I think she got nominated for several acting awards. Her struggle and sacrifice enshrined in Supreme Court case law our ability to obliquely imply Jerry Falwell hosed his mother in an outhouse via parody liquor ads.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I got to watch "What the &%$! do we know", but to be fair to the teacher, she apparently had no idea what the hell it was. She turned it off after the part talking about how because native americans had never seen ships before, they were literally invisible to them and that's why they all got killed.

This was also the class where we had to give a speech about what we did over our summer vacation that I didn't write, so I talked about the video game Chromehounds for half an hour and somehow convinced one student I was a robot-piloting child soldier and the same grade where I convinced my ap history teacher to let me play Civilization IV for a semester and write a report on it (Egypt's armies got eaten by bears).

As it turns out rural schools are pretty garbage.

God that movie is a piece of poo poo, some people who though it was really deep showed it to a group of us and got pissed when I exclaimed "oh, it's that deaf actress" when Marlee Matlin showed up. I guess they thought it was a spoiler because the framing story is shot in such a way that you can't tell she's deaf until the end, which is an okay concept, but don't hire the worlds most famous deaf actress if you want that to be a twist. She has an Academy Award and was a regular guest star on The West Wing for gently caress's sake.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

The same thing happens in the movie it is a remake of.

One of us definitely needs to re-watch Infernal Affairs,because I'm pretty god damned it doesn't and the ending is the Matt Damon character gets away Scott free with a vague idea he'll be an honest cop from now on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You know what the perfect solution to both sleep paralysis and bad dreams is. Get black out drunk every night. If you can't remember anything after 10 pm there's no trauma.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Simplex posted:

I think there's a big problem with this interpretation that if you want to be somewhat biblically consistent you kind of have to view it as the aliens are angels not demons and are wandering around rapturing people. Otherwise the movie becomes a story of Job where Satan wins the bet. Mel Gibson is a priest who abandons God when his wife is taken away and has his dog killed and only comes back into the fold when God saves his sons life.

Nah, it's modern American Evangelical Christianity where God reveals himself to the lost and the fallen constantly, not Old Testament book of Job God. Swap the aliens for literal red devils with horns and Mel Gibson for Kirk Cameron, Kevin Sorbo or that Baldwin who went crazy and it's basically one of a dozen movies that are released direct to video every year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Femur posted:

yes, but if you believed monsters cause your dreams, you wouldn't bother deriving meaning for it.

Yes you would, because if you didn't do what the monsters wanted (or conversely protect yourself from the monsters) they'll eat you in your sleep.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Meanwhile, the One Piece anime (for example) adds filler and stretches out scenes, but is largely a very faithful adaptation of the One Piece manga. Stuff typically happens in both in the same way.

So much loving filler, I played and beat the video game and liked the characters so I tried to watch the anime, it's like four episodes to get through what was the tutorial level in the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's also important you read this huge expose about Lisa Frank that Jezebel did years ago - http://jezebel.com/inside-the-rainbow-gulag-the-technicolor-rise-and-fall-1179495705

Jesus, her kids must be so messed up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Lisa Frank herself seems fine. The company sounds absolutely horrific, like an actual no-poo poo sweatshop for making cutesy stationery. It says he's not in charge anymore, but it also doesn't say that any of their policies have changed, whatsoever.

Green sounds a lot worse, but there's still poo poo like

quote:

I personally heard [Lisa Frank] scream at sales managers and threaten their lives if they hosed up a presentation.

quote:

Every day was so stress full [sic] and hearing Lisa's voice downstairs on a speaker phone made my blood run cold. I had many instances where she abused me verbally.

though it's possible those people were a bit confused and thinking of the VP Green was having an affair with.

Edit: Oh god, read the sidebar on that "Frankly Speaking" newsletter that's titled "The 110%" solution. It's from 2 years after Green became President and CEO. Green definitely comes off worse, but Lisa Frank did let him run her company for more than a decade before first trying to oust him, so she's definitely not blameless.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 19, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They gave it a shot back in '66, the results weren't great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJ5sGZsGgY

1. They forgot the vita-rays, so I call bullshit on it's comic book accuracy.
2. Actually looks better than that weird "motion comic" thing both Marvel and DC tried for a hot minute.
3. Wasn't Bucky dead by '66?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I had to skip over the last few pages....are the manchildren done discussing anime yet?

Never.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Birth of a Nation had a bunch of hype coming out of the festival circuit last year until people found out the director was probably a rapist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If Cameron gets all the rights back in 2019 couldn't they film it before then as long as there's no promotional poo poo released before the rights revert?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gatts posted:

In Robocop vs Terminator vs Aliens vs Predator - Robocop would win.

He's the only good guy,so yeah, obviously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I thought he'd said season 2 would be about Hurricane Katrina

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cacator posted:

I would have figured Michael Bay to be a Trump supporter. Wrong!

Nah, Bay is probably Hollywood liberal, but also realizes fascism pays better. His most humanist film (The Island) was also his only commercial failure, and then he re-used clips from it in Transformers 3, his most right wing film, there's gotta be at least some self-awareness going on there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Transformers movies don't have any good guys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Netflix seems to have about 0 quality control for their original series/films, give how bad so many of them are.

It's less about quality control than trying to produce content for as many different demographics as possible. I don't give a poo poo about Fuller House, but the people who were excited about it probably had little interest in say, Master of None.

Though a good chunk of their original poo poo is pretty loving atrocious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wouldn't mind subscribing to a bunch of streaming services if american internet was at the speed and price it should be.

Do you live in the boonies? I can't argue about the prices being hosed but the speed is fine for streaming video if you live in a city.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know gigabit should be the norm right. and at like half the price people pay for say 70 down.

google fiber should literally be the baseline in this country.

I can stream 1080p, obviously it could and should be faster (especially because the prices are hosed) but if all you're doing is watching a video most infrastructures can support you doing that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

It does seem daunting, though, that Affleck would be expected to direct, write, act (sometimes in costume), supervise the editing and maintain a physical condition for a movie with almost a $200 million budget which is something on a scale he has never done before and few other filmmakers had before this.

People loved his Batman in BvS and everything that was not Affleck's acting had to do with the costume design, direction and editing which were all someone else's job.

I was really looking forward to behind the scenes photos of Affleck in full Batman gear, sitting in a director's chair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

This was because Marvel is incredibly petty and killed the book because Fox can't make a good movie from it and yet refuses to cough up the rights.

I've been staring at this sentence for like five minutes and I have no idea how to parse it.

I dunno, it's not like they stopped publishing X books. I think it was just a poor performing book with a lackluster writer and Secret Wars was a good excuse to put it on the shelf for awhile. If some writer they like pitches an excellent story, they'll probably bring it back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I still feel that Best Picture winner Crash is on par with all of these.

There's gotta be a worse movie that won best picture, but gently caress if I can name it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

precision posted:

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"
I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind but everything else there is definitely better than Crash.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

A Beautiful Mind tries to be biographical but most of what happens is completely made up. It's a pretty typical example of a 'Hollywood historical film' which just twists actual history or an actual person for dramatic effect.

That's also an accurate description of Braveheart and that movie is loving awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a weird concept that Republican President leads to better action flicks that I don't think holds up. Yes, the 80's had a ton of great flicks, but so did the 90's, and aside from the first Matrix I have a hard time remembering truly excellent action flicks from the Bush years, whereas Obama got us John Wick, Fury Road and the three best Fast and Furious movies, also 2 good Rocky movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The Raid: Redemption, Dredd, and Mad Max: Fury Road were all delivered under the Obama administration so I can't believe anyone would say that with a straight face.

I may be revealing my age, but it's mostly an argument I remember from the early days of the Bush presidency.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think the concept behind filming movies at increased frame rates is to make it look more like real life, when most people can't tell the difference and the rest don't want movies to look like real life

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiimo posted:

Okay so John Wick 2 is running at about 97% tomato meter, I think it's time I watched the first one.

Assuming you like action movies it's really dumb you've waited this long on it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Probably Tim Burton's Dumbo Featuring Will Smith.

Actually it was just reported Will smith backed out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It was established in Highlander that the Immortals are born "Immortal", but their immortality only kicks in when they first die. So the show introduced a ten year old immortal (who had been killed when he was a slave in ancient Rome), and one spin off media introduced an Immortal who was housed on holy ground, since he had lived a full life and died at the age of 102. He existed in a perpetual coma.

What happens if you're maimed, like if the slave boy had had a hand cut off or something, then dies of something completely unrelated later?

• Locked thread