Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

Hm. I think my revulsion at 90s aesthetics may have faded just enough to let me try to selectively rewatch the Highlander show for the first time since I was a youngster. That ponytail's still going to be rough, though.

Where on the scale of 90s high-concept Vancouver-filmed TV does it fall in retrospect? More X-Files or more Total Recall 2070?

I think it's like a less self aware Hercules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The cool thing is that isn't even the ugliest movie toy of 2017

If I was Emma Watson I would sue someone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The script of Dredd got leaked in 2010

I honestly don't think The Raid crew had any clue about the most recent Dredd movie when they were making it, we just frequently get similar movies in the same year.

Edit: Dred is basically an inside out version of Assault on District 13 and The Raid is basically someone watching Ong Bak and asking what if we did this for 2 hours. Both concepts are similar in retrospect but operate on different levels.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I don't get all these people that hate Stallone's Dredd. Sure it's not great but it's silly fun, at least as good as Timecop or something. Not quite as good as Demolition Man though, despite sharing like 5 plot points.

That's damning with faint praise if I've ever seen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Erm, but it's called the FINAL Chapter???

They made 3 more after the one called Extinction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Just saw an article about how Jurassic World 2 has started filming, and I've been shaken into a realization.

Jurassic World would have been seriously improved - and, indeed, would have been a great and deeply hilarious movie - if there had been no dinosaur escape or action or horror or death or anything in it. Sure, put in a lot of false starts, to convince the audience that the dinosaurs are going to break out at any moment and start eating people, but never actually have it happen. Really hammer in the theme that people are bored with dinosaurs now because they're just weird animals that are totally capable of being held in captivity, by never having a dinosaur break out and start eating people to shake the fictional audience out of that boredom. Just have the movie be two hours of mundane slice of life poo poo with some dinosaurs in the background that keep almost breaking out but always having the problem caught in time by the wacky but competent Jurassic World staff. It'd be the greatest joke ever played on audiences in Hollywood history.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

Some believe the casting of Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange was because China will flat-out ban anything referencing Tibet, and both Stark and Cap use Vivo phones (a lovely low-end Chinese brand) in Civil War.

I don't think that's why they cast Tilda Swinton, but it is why they moved the beginning to Nepal from Tibet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Part of the globalization is because it's cool to get extra money from the box office of other countries, and part of it is you can blow up New York only so many times before it gets even more boring. At least they are tossing cars around in Korea, Africa, and fictitious Balkan countries than the usual US cities.

The blow up a good chunk of Hong Kong (I think) in Doctor Strange.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Is anyone making/made a GamerGate movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfamFbvmgIA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

What was Game of Thrones pitched as to HBO? It's like Lord of the Rings meets Deadwood!

Graphic sex, graphic violence, and enough monologues that people think it's smart television, it's there entire M.O.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Red Bones posted:

This time it's explicitly, directly our fault (because we pressed the bad button on the weather machine) rather than being indirectly our fault (we accidentally caused global warming by being greedy). An insightful view on how we view human nature in 2017.

Please tell me it explicitly involves HAARP

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Takedown is a Kevin Mitnick biopic. The movie poster doesn't even say Hackers 2.

Refreshing my memory on Mitnick got me in a short Wikipedia hole and I found out that 2600 magazine still exists, the concept of a quarterly hacking magazine seemed outdated when I was a kid, but good on them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/840254283861774336

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ammanas posted:

The dude has played Jesus a whole bunch

He's also played the Buddha.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is there a reason the movie (and the ape himself) is called simply Kong now instead of King Kong?

To make it clear it's not another straight King Kong remake. John C Reilly calls him King of the island in the trailer though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I don't know anything but King Kong sounds kinda dumb

You shut your god damned mouth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Matrix officially being rebooted by WB. Bolded the only part that matters

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292

I think we need to stop complaining about lack of minority roles in block busters and start complaining about lack of minority roles in other genres, because Michael B Jordan is better than this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

21 Muns posted:

IMO, The Lego Movie and The Truman Show are tied for the best Matrix movie.

Pleasantville is the second best

Under your ranking it'd be the third best

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I've wondered before if Batman Begins was what caused the popularity of Equilibrium to go down. A better Christian Bale sci-fi/martial arts action movie. It's entirely anecdotal but I know with my circle of friends, we loved Equilibrium for a few years but stopped watching it around BB's release.

Nah, Equilibrium was a bad movie before Christian Bale was Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Whenever Video Game movies comes up, everyone forgets that there are 6 Resident Evil movies, and a seventh one in production even though the last one was called "The Final Chapter."

Also, I didn't hate the Timothy Olyphant Hitman film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

What is better? The new Transformers movies going all GIRL POWER or the people complaining that the movie series have been taken over by SJWs?

Michael Bay is the most subversive working director.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Keanu Reeves should never do sequels to his own movies - and I'm going to stretch that to reboots preemptively - because they're always worse than the originals.

Counterpoint, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Looks like the same fight, just with the foley on steroids, sounds like street fighter

https://youtu.be/WEt4B1poOfM

I prefer the music in the american version, has a nice swell during the climax
https://youtu.be/CgrvEWGdDq4

He's not talking about the fight scene. he's talking about immediately after it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtciH2w28wQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This would be an interesting idea, if she was president.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Considering Eddie Murphy's Dr Doolittle had sequels and spinoff, maybe RDJ is hoping this could be his new franchise after Iron Man.

Would RDJ even want another franchise? He's well past however many movies were in his original contract, so he's been making movie star money again for quite some time, god knows the only reason they wouldn't cast him as Iron Man would be if he said no, and the physical demands of the role aren't exactly the same as any of the Chris's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

You're an anomaly, then, since most dude in their mid-30s now always had a boner for Watson since puberty.

Except for that one guy on the recently-deceased IMDB boards who made a thread saying he's "worried" that recent reports have indicated that she might become a feminist.

How could someone A) Care about Emma Watson, B) Be "worried" about her feminism and C) Not know she gave a widely reported on speech to the UN about gender equality?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rirse posted:

Why not just have the lady who voiced Mulan play her in the remake.

Because Mulan is about a teenager and that actress is 53.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's correct, because whomever thought they would go through the trouble of making a 'Gametendo 32' to market and sell is a loving idiot.

It makes much more sense to craft a fake game that's essentially Mario Party and have the characters get all nostalgic about it.

Just like Fix it Felix Jr. was a pseudo Mario clone.

Also make a run game for phones with characters from the movie. Jumanj as a video game is basically just pitfall with slightly better graphics, which is basically just a run game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I actually live near an internationally acclaimed mime college (masters in 'physical theater') & have seen people ride up to gas stations on unicycles so im stayin out of this one.

I know it's probably just to get beer or whatever, but please tell me there are motorized unicycles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cacator posted:

Yeah but Aniston's career wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today without that (just look at where the rest of the Friends are)

None of the Friends cast has any need to ever work again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kanish posted:

He was in that OJ miniseries that is supposed to be pretty good. Honestly, I would be cashing my residual checks on a beach in tahiti If I was on that show.

Him saying "Juice" in increasingly sad or desperate tones is the best part of an excellent show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How is that dude gonna do one perfect movie and then disappear completely? It's not fair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_of_the_Hunter_(film)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm really curious about which three you're referring to.

Well you see the people in historical Iran were called "Aryans"...

:goonsay:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean that is basically what white is. Though even then it shows it's cracks.

It's just really funny since racists in the UK decided to make it very certain no one thought they were European

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You should already know that I have an even better solution: full communism now. You should already know that I have been engaged in ideological critique.

I can imagine movies - even 'big-budget' movies - without capitalism. We do not need capitalism to have movies, studios, etc.

The Soviet version of War and Peace is loving amazing and would totally fit in with all the modern franchise films where The Hobbit get's turned into 3 movies and the last book in every YA series is split into two parts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I am intrigued by this. Go on.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_(film_series)
4 parts, 147 minutes, 100 minutes, 84 minutes and 100 minutes long, making it's total length shorter than even the theatrical cuts of the Hobbit films

quote:

More than forty museums[10] contributed historical artifacts, such as chandeliers, furniture and cutlery, to create an authentic impression of the early 19th-century Russia. Thousands of costumes were sewn, mainly military uniform of the sorts worn in the Napoleonic Wars,[11] including 11,000 shakos.[2] Sixty obsolete cannons were cast and 120 wagons and carts constructed for the production.[10]

Anticipating the need for cavalry, line producer Nikolai Ivanov and General Osilkovsky began seeking appropriate horses. While the cavalry formations of the Army were long abolished, several units in the Transcaucasian Military District and the Turkestan Military District retained horse drawn mountain artillery. In addition to those, the Ministry of Agriculture gave away nine hundred horses[6] and the Moscow City Police organized a detachment from its mounted regiment.[2]
The shooting of the battle itself began on 25 August 1963 – its 151st anniversary by the Julian Calendar. 13,500 soldiers and 1,500 horsemen substituted for the historical armies.[29]

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

They tried to set up Jeremy Renner when Hollywood was attempting to make him a terrible leading man instead of a great character actor. And now he's not even going to be in this one, shows how well that went. Now they seem to be setting up Henry Cavill as the torch-bearer moving forward. Which is great, because if Man From U.N.C.L.E. is anything to go by, Caville has really pulled the short straw far too many times in his roles and is primed for a role in a good franchise that lets him show his charm and magnetism.

I'm cool if Cruise wants to keep making these but takes more of a patriarch role and lets Cavill take over.

Tom Cruise is going to do it forever, he's cleared all his body thetans and has thus stopped aging.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

But even Daredevil season 1 has the problem that its best fight by far is in the first episode and then 3/4ths of the show becomes about Kingpin.

Second episode, and Daredevil also had the cool Ninja fight pretty late in the season where the dude set himself on fire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opinions from people who didn't actually watch the show are pretty useless.

Edit: That was directed at the guy who played video games while watching the show, not the guy who likes reading the comics, because I assume he's not playing a video game while reading comics.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I put even money on him being one of those people who thought Matt Damon and Leonardo Dicaprio were the same person for most of The Departed.

• Locked thread