Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Tars Tarkas posted:

Blazing Samurai - "The story revolves around a scrappy young dog Hank (Michael Cera) who dreams of becoming a samurai and fights to save the town called "Kakamucho" from becoming a litter box of a nefarious feline warlord Ika Chu (Ricky Gervais) who unveils his grand plan to get rid of the inhabitants."

Holy poo poo

Why in the gently caress would this be a thing that someone even thought of? Why is Mel Brooks involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

When I was in 10th grade world history class, we watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which has boobs and such. I don't think the teacher got in any trouble but I can't remember his name so who knows. :shrug:

It was a pretty cool class.

EDIT: I misremembered, there is no actual nudity. So this story is pointless and dumb.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Femur posted:

yes, but if you believed monsters cause your dreams, you wouldn't bother deriving meaning for it.

How have you been pedantically arguing with everyone else for two pages and nobody has mentioned your red title yet?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Red Bones posted:

It's hard to tell whether the film is leaning toward being earnest or sarcastic about its whole premise. Like the stuff in that trailer is a 50/50 split of the two, and I think it works a lot better when it's just sorta owning its silliness than when it's trying to undermine it by pointing out how silly the idea of power rangers, and all the trappings that come with them, are. I never thought I'd say this about a Power Rangers movie but there's honestly a good movie buried somewhere in there, but god knows if that movie will be what eventually comes out.

I enjoyed the delivery of "PEE IN THIS CUP!"

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Dr. Strange had really great visual effects though.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Man now I know that I'll never see Mormon Mummies and I'm sad.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah, we've all seen Chester Cheetah.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm just kind of used to everything I interact with becoming a discussion of lovely current politics

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Here, leezard leezard leezard

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I hated that song, because I really like Kashmir and really hate Puff Daddy.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The Dark Tower footage sounds as bad as IT looks good:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-have-seen-the-first-footage-from-the-dark-tower-1793703645

I wanted "The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." Sounds like we might be getting this instead:

Maybe if they take out the really stupid parts of the books, the really stupid things they're adding will balance out?

Definitely not the kind of movie I was hoping for if that's true, though.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Len posted:

I've only made it to midway through book 4 but there's been:

(Spoilers in case anyone cares)

-Lobster men that crippled one of Roland's hands and nearly killed him
-Three free standing doors on a beach that each open to New York in different years where Roland observes three different people ultimately bringing two of the three into his world
-One of those people is a black woman with DID who bounces between prim and proper and violently racist and horrible until the reconcile and fuse into one mind. Also she's in a wheelchair
-A cyborg bear infected with various diseases that's gone batshit insane
-Blane the Mono a monorail with an AI that's gone suicidal and gets stopped by riddles straight out of the Bilbo Baggins book of Bullshit Riddles

They weren't lobster men, just weird hosed up lobsters. And the cyborg bear had a satellite dish on it's head.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Although it seems like a good idea, making the GI Joe movies military action films was a mistake. It was also a mistake to center it around one guy, and also to make the movies lovely in general.

The GI Joe cartoon was a colorful ensemble action show. They should be thinking Avengers rather than Expendables.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Just imagine all of those many great, memorable characters from the Call of Duty franchise up on the silver screen!

There was a dog in one of them, right?

Nothing in the rules says a dog can't kill terrorists.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

And it had legs after the fact so in the end it did pretty well.

Though I am expecting Valarian to be about the same as Fifth Element: great visual design and absolutely terrible everything else. That would match the original comics pretty well. I will also predict that even though it will be a lovely movie, it will be defended by nerds on the Internet for years.

Do not talk poo poo about Fifth Element, I will fight you.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Hawkeye couldn't carry a film.

Now a Netflix series based on the Matt Fraction comic, that would be amazing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

At this point I don't trust the Marvel TV folks to do a drat thing.

The only show that was bad was Iron Fist and it's still better than like half the other poo poo on TV.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Frankly I'd watch Idris Elba do gun-fu all day and not give a gently caress about anything else.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Clancy had a bunch of stuff published under his name while he was still writing, like Net Force, and Op Center. Then he stopped writing around 2003 and those continued. He came back a year or two before he died and co-wrote a couple or more books with some other guy. How involved he really was is debatable. Apparently the politics were absolutely insane so maybe he did have some say. They're going to continue slapping his name onto video games forever until the point where nobody knows who this guy is anymore.

Crichton had a bunch of manuscripts or fragments of them left over. There's one coming out this summer about fossil hunting. Pirate Latitudes, one of the books from the Walmart/Amazon pissing match, was another posthumous Crichton book and is supposedly going to get adapted as a movie sooner than later.

Pirate Latitudes is the most generic and cliched pirate adventure story, and also somehow intensely boring and poorly written. I don't remember anything about the story, but I suspect that Crichton wrote it in middle school. I can see why he wouldn't have published it while he was alive.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Apparently "Lord of The Flies" is a reference to Beelzebub, who was invoked to drive away flies from ritual sacrifices.

My understanding is that Beelzebub was a biblical insult calling Baal, a Babylonian diety, "Lord of the Flies." "Lord of the Flies" is a euphemism that means "Lord of poo poo."

I do not know is true or not but I enjoy it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

teagone posted:

New trailer dropped couple minutes ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSp1dM2Vj48

The movie will at least be better than the book, because the movie won't be able to explain each reference as it appears like the book does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm Chaotic Good and Neutral Evil, respectively.

• Locked thread