Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Red Bones posted:

Late reply but in the Gits film (I have not seen any other gits things) the nudity actually serves a really interesting thematic purpose. The Major doesn't care about the way her body is perceived by other people because she doesn't see it as her own body anyway, she sees it as property of the agency she works for. One of the characters (I think Batou) gives her a jacket to cover herself up at one point because he still sees her as a person with ownership of her body, and thus someone who should care about modesty. At the end the nudity intentionally dips into the uncanny valley when her body starts straining and buckling during the fight with the spider tank.

I'm sure the authorial intent in the original manga was to have some robot cheesecake but the film turns it into this really interesting dynamic of cinematic objectification serving to highlight the literal objectification and dehumanisation of the character within the narrative.

Funny thing is, for all the cheesecake in the Manga, the Major never had to get naked to use stealth camouflage. In fact, she's never naked during any mission. That was all made up for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Improbable Lobster posted:

TBF the manga did have a hardcore sex scene plopped in the middle for no reason

Hey what the major does in her free time is her business. Tbh I had completely forgotten about it since I have the old US version where it was cut/censored (scenes with brains being exploded were left as they were of course). And the scene is softcore at most.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope GitS does well so they adapt Dominion Tank Police next, I want to see Giant Penis Tank Mines on a big screen.

This is the correct opinion to have. The story would work better than ever as satire about the militarization of the police.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Henker posted:

Yeah wasn't Liefeld's version basically edgy 90s Deathstroke ripoff with zero sense of irony?

He had some jokes but nothing close to what he's known for today,

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In middle school we watched Life of Brian in religion class, and The Twelve Tasks of Asterix in history class (it's a very strange and trippy movie).

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 10, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

hiddenmovement posted:

The best bit is when Asterix loses his poo poo at the ghost legion and they sort of just apologise and wander off

I've always been a fan of the bureaucracy task. That part is even based on real historical facts about the terrible roman administration!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

VoodooXT posted:

Oh yea, 7th grade algebra, our lovely algebra teacher showed us "Stand and Deliver" to inspire us since we were giving him a hard time the entire year. Instead, we took the hard time further and we ended up mentally breaking him and he never taught again.

I'm so, so, so happy I got out of my career in education. Teachers are heroes in my book (yes even most of the lovely ones).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Casimir Radon posted:

She's wearing pants, that's different. That's pretty much how Lara dressed in the 2013 game. She spends most of her time wearing a jacket in ROTTR.

That or chainmail which was pretty awesome.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I couldn't be worse than what we got.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The MSJ posted:

Puberty flashback alert!

Doesn't look nearly beaten up enough.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, in my playthrough she was more like a slasher villain picking off the dudes one by one with her pick and her bow after the first chapter.

And then she got a grenade launcher and everything burned.

Yeah, the 'the Descent' homage is the part where she definitely turns into a murderous force of vengeance, at least in my mind.

She does get her rear end beaten constantly for the first half, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

On a $100 million budget.

Yikes.

Does anyone outside the US give a drat about Power Rangers as a franchise?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

basic hitler posted:

Comic book art is getting worse right? Silver age is goofy but it's all very utilitarian. cartoons designed to survive a cost effective mass printing run on low quality paper. Maybe by the 80s and 90s things start getting Xtremey and that's its own kind of lame, but at least the art was solid. That thing you just posted looks loving awful. Like whoever drew that and submitted it to be inked, whoever inked it, whoever greenlit it for publication, all of those people should be loving ashamed.

It looks fine except everyone has the same face for some reason.

My pet peeve is a lot of modern artists think it's acceptable to copy/paste three or more panels in a row and just switch out the speech bubbles. That always looks like poo poo. There are plenty of good artists today but I'll always have a soft spot for 60s-80s Marvel comics.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 11, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The first couple issues of the new Ms Marvel looked great and it's a shame they switched artists so quickly.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 11, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I doubt they could do Robotech / Macross justice but I would love to see a live-action version of this scene. It pretty much blew my mind when I was ten.

Edit: jeeeeeez the English dub sucks. The Swedish dub sounded like it was made in someone's cellar but at least they tried to make it sound... well... serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wsIDLdXX00

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 18, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The one thing I will always remember from asm2 is spidey shooting his web out to save gwen from falling, and the camera zooms in to show that the end of spidey's web forms a little hand shape

It's art, you see

I was already underwhelmed by GG's origin and appearance, but that was the part that sunk the movie for me. Way to make me laugh during such a pivotal scene.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwarzwald posted:

When are we getting more of Three Caballeros?

There was a hilarious Mickey short a while ago where they had a small cameo. https://youtu.be/_2WMLV1UeuM

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 10, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

well why not posted:

I love it, this just goes to show that great storytelling doesn't require an understanding of the language. Who did Danny Trejo voice in this? The mean pony?

Yeah, the one who gets eaten :gonk:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's like 70% great, 30% awful garbage. Like the source material 😄

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There are dozens of new Mickey shorts on their YouTube channel, and they're really funny. Go watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Battle Angel Alita OAV (dubbed) is available on YouTube and isn't even an hour long. I hadn't watched it for a decade but it's still good fun. The story is super simple but it works.

• Locked thread