Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I unironically loved Gods of Egypt. It's on my shelf next to Apollo 18 in my "movies apparently made just for me because nobody else liked them" section.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Quite literally why I like him. He's just so pathetic, it's great. They couldn't out-badass Vader, so they didn't even try.

I like it from a lore (I know, I know) way too - the Dark Side is all about uncontrolled emotion, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The most recent game was released a year ago and it was pretty good.

The second reboot game had more tomb raiding, but I must say the most fun part to me was stalking and stealth-killing all the bad guys with arrows.

I only played the first reboot, but it was incredibly satisfying to go from injured desperate Lara to a loving Fury tearing dudes' faces off with a shotgun while his buddies scream and run for their lives at the sight of you.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gods of Egypt scratched an itch that basically no other movie has. Immortals came close, but didn't embrace the mythology to the extent Gods did.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Just saw an article about how Jurassic World 2 has started filming, and I've been shaken into a realization.

Jurassic World would have been seriously improved - and, indeed, would have been a great and deeply hilarious movie - if there had been no dinosaur escape or action or horror or death or anything in it. Sure, put in a lot of false starts, to convince the audience that the dinosaurs are going to break out at any moment and start eating people, but never actually have it happen.

No dinosaurs break out in Jurassic World.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

IDR is especially obvious since the original was made in 1995 so China isn't even mentioned.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Independence Day actually had to do without military support because it used Area 51.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Star Trek 2009 is much better looking than Beyond. The opening shot of the USS Kelvin as an abstract play of light across its hull is a delight and a great way to give me good will for a movie.

Enterprise rising from Titan's atmosphere was loving beautiful.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

As a counterpoint, is there a film that had a whitewashing controversy that did really well? Off the top of my head, every one I can think of was a flop. Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt (though that was hardly the only issue) Prince of Persia and Exodus all did really poorly.

You can say it didn't hurt it, I would argue that it sure as poo poo doesn't help.

Yeah, but three of those were people getting mad that white people were playing white people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's a big white supremacist thing that Egyptians and Persians were white, which assumes that middle eastern people mudt of all come from Arabs or something.

Middle Eastern people are white. Egyptians, Persians, Arabs, Kurds, Assyrians, etc, etc. They're all white.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 3, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

People must have very high standards if Man of Steel can't even be considered "passable".

Everything it did good, Superman I and II did better. Everything it did bad, it did really bad.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

They don't need to address it again, because it's such a drastic scene that flaunts convention*. We're still talking about it long after the movie is out because it's so jarringly different. A lady dies a Bad Guy Death without being a bad guy, just because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time around wrongly made monster-dinos. That just doesn't happen.

The Jurassic series has been pretty consistent in killing people evenly, Good Guy or Bad Guy, with similar discretion shots (or lack of) for both.

I think it's the nature of it. It doesn't feel like a "wrong place, wrong time" thing, that would be the kid from the start of Lost World with the compy flock.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Hercules was only bad because

Because they got The Rock to play Hercules and then went with some de-mythed story.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

No actually those are good things

For clarity, the bad part is the de-mything.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

wyoming posted:

Do they answer what the black goo is?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Which Avenger has the Stare of Death as a power? Maybe Luigi can be Cyclops.

Ghost Rider?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

well why not posted:

Gods of Egypt was way more interesting. If you wanna watch an over-the-top Egypt themed movie, definitely see that instead. It's a PS3 cutscene, but it's the best PS3 cutscene ever made, by far. At least that movie was fun and colourful. This is just lovely and boring.

Gods of Egypt is the myth movie I have always wanted.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rirse posted:

I just hope the Duke Nukem movies ended with him becoming the Duke Nukem from Captain Planet.

He runs for President and then it turns into Saints Row 4.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fictional love stories in historical epics are pretty much always godawful.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was it the first Jurassic Park that was going to have a scene with pterodactyls but the idea was scrapped due to budget?

Yep. The scene was used in JP3, along with the river attack.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I like the bit in Raimi's Spider-Man where New Yorkers start throwing rocks at Green Goblin, saying "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us."

It was 2002, so I can give that a pass.

Also in the sequel they try that and Doc Ock just goes "k" and slaps them all out of his way.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's some incredibly Nordic names.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Whitewashing the whites

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Obviously it's a stealth Varangian Guard movie.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This is idiotic but a massive improvement for Disney, who gave us a Prince of Persia movie where basically the entire cast was white except for Ben Kingsley who is half Indian. Still too idiotic for me to ever see the movie though.

How dare they cast white people to play white people, this shall not stand.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

How the hell are they not white, just look at them. They're as white as the Greeks.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Force Awakens was awesome when it premiered in 1977

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So, Hercules versus Apollo, God of Light?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w9gUPQRsj8&t=70s

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

strait of messina

Byzantina
heathens screaming, hands beating, fire clinging
to their faces, ships, waves, ears ringing
dromons singing, hear the chanting while I'm ranting, Bulgars panting
now they're stumbling
Jesus help the blind to see why you don't gently caress with me
Basil Basileus
Pantokrator, ruling over those who rule
Renovatio Imperii these fools
Macedonian, Alexander and Caesar
Like the Hagia I'm wiser

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The worst best picture winner is Crash. I'm surprised the question is even controversial.

The Great Zeigfield, How Green was My Valley, An American in Paris, and Annie Hall were all worse

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Barudak posted:

An ice cold take: Casablanca deserves its best picture win.

It's a good movie, but by the time I saw it the effect was mostly "oh, so *that's* what that other thing was referencing".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

porfiria posted:

I believe Maximus becomes the god or incarnation of war and the movie ends with him in a war room in the Pentagon. By Nick Cave!

Yeah, Maximus was supposed to become a god, so the sequel would be him fighting in wars through history.

Which sounds loving awesome, like the original ending of God of War.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I sorta understand the idea of making a bigger dinosaur as a themepark attraction

The funny part being that Indominus was smaller than 3's Spinosaurus.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

'98 was a really good Western Godzilla, it just wasn't a good Western Godzilla

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, there's that, but then there's having Goku in high school.

Then there's having Goku in high school when the series already has a "superpowered teen in high school" segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have a bad feeling Pacific Rim: Uprising is going to suck.

The first one sucked the chrome off a car bumper, so I don't know why you're surprised.

• Locked thread