Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/joelgord/status/920329127877595136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I had no idea until 2 weeks ago that the Han Solo prequel was even coming out so soon (April). I have very little interest as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/the-snowman-director-explains-movie-terrible-tomas-alfredson-1201888133/

Who knew cutting 10 to 15 percent of your mystery thriller would make it bad???
How does that even happen? This is not some tiny film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Also I just want to say how The Snowman has to have one of the most pointlessly anticlimactic endings to a final confrontation ever. The bad guy shoots Fassbender and as he is coming towards him to finish him off he falls in a previously unseen hole in the ice and just kind of instantly dies. That's it, cut to Fassbender rescuing exgirlfriend and her kid (who may be his son, it was very confusing.)
You've got to be joking. That's some Looney Tunes poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh my god you guys, please go see Geostorm. It's so delightfully stupid in every way. I was laughing through most of it.
Better or worse than The Core?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still don’t know why I saw The Core in a theater. Granted, it’s so dumb it makes The Day After Tomorrow with the murder wolves and President Dick Cheney look genius by comparison.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

It was an SNL skit from last year about this time that blew up.
I watched it a few weeks ago and I still don’t get why that blew up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

King’s Speech and Slumdog Millionaire are very overrated IMO.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Producers have abandoned the Dark Universe to its fate, shambling on lifeless with no brain until Universal does another half-hearted entry a few years down the line that they can later deny is part of the Dark Universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alex-kurtzman-chris-morgan-exit-universal-monsterverse-1055854
4th time’s the charm?

They need to stop focusing on the shared universe crap and just put out a quality film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really amazing to me that an entire studio would look at a film like The Mummy (2017) and think 'yes, this is exactly how we should launch this franchise we are investing many many millions of dollars in'. Nothing in it works at all. Tom Cruise also plays a horrible amoral character that nobody can possibly like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Considering recent events I think it is safe to assume that very few Hollywood execs have anything resembling a moral compass.
Cruise has used Scientology to give himself personal slave labor and yet he still gets work

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Is AssCreed fun again? I hated III.
Black Flag is good because, at least in the past scenes, the protagonist can give two shits about the Assassins/Templars conflict

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve heard Rogue is good but got overshadowed by the other games

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did they finally abandon the stupid modern stuff in Origins or is that still being shoehorned in

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Basically The Pursuit Of Happyness but with a Geostorm playing Will Smith's role.

We believe in you, Geostorm. Just hang in there buddy. :unsmith:
Does Geostorm also become a total ‘bootstraps’ Republican afterwards?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Morbius, the Living Vampire is the next-rumored Spider-Man-less Spider-Man movie. Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama (two of the writers on Power Rangers) wrote a script, no one else is attached at this time, and those are also the dudes writing a Lost in Space reboot series for NetFlix

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-spinoff-morbius-living-vampire-movie-works-power-rangers-writers-1056702
Apparently every franchise is going to be turned into a streaming-only TV series some day, the way I see at least one new announcement per day now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rirse posted:

Why didn't we get the original idea for Jurassic World with the dinosaurs trained to use weapons like that picture from Dino Riders?
During the long period between JP3 and JW there was some idea of doing ‘dinosaurs as weapons’ which kinda made it into JW. But in this case the concept art had them as like weird human-Dino hybrids with guns. I can’t imagine that idea went far.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

For all the flaws that the first half of season 1 of Agents of Shield had it never hit the nadir that was the Scott Buck run Marvel shows - Iron Fist and The Inhumans. Are you trying to pretend that they don't exist or do you just have a raging hard-on for him?
Iron Fist is not great, but I would watch that many times over before I would go back to early AoS.

I didn’t even bother with Inhumans, I have never had interest in that side of Marvel and the trailer for the series made it look like a fan production.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think the shared universe thing is not going to work for long.

Just look at where several of them are now-

DCCU- Back to the drawing board after JL tanked

‘Dark Universe’- probably dead

Sony and their Spider-Man related things- Venom will likely get made, but I doubt much will happen beyond that

Fox Marvel stuff- Fantastic Four bombed, which scrapped their plans for a shared universe with the X-Men properties. Whatever is not already in production is probably going to get killed by the merger. Gambit is probably one of those casualties since i know Deadpool 2/X-Men Dark Phoenix/New Mutants are all coming out in 2018 and are virtually finished.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Gambit is awesome people. I don't understand how YOU don't understand that. A ragin Cajun master theif who fights with a bo staff, and has the power to charge up things and make them explode, and throws playing cards as if they were Ninja stars? Played by Channing Tatum?!

What kind of cynical jaded fucker doesn't want that.
Gambit hasn't been relevant in like 20 years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Between stuff like Dark Tower, Justice League, Tom Cruise Mummy, that King Arthur movie and that King Arthur movie with Transformers, is 2017 the year Hollywood got over the cinematic universes fad?
I do think the idea that anyone can do it took a major hit. I think studios are going to have to tone that down to a degree.

This was the year of a lot of awful sequels to stuff as well. Obviously the newest Transformers, but also:

-An Underworld sequel no one asked for
-A sequel to xXx that had Vin Diesel this time, and also that no one asked for
-The final, awful end to those Resident Evil films
-Another lovely Fifty Shades movie
-A soft rebooted Smurfs movie
-A sequel to an already lazy animated film, The Nut Job
-Inexplicably, in a year where Hollywood abuse became a major issue, Victor Salva (a child molester) got to make another Jeepers Creepers movie
-A sequel to Daddy's Home, which reviewed even worse than the 1st
-A lazy Pitch Perfect threequel
-Somehow there was a Skyline sequel?

It also amazes me that Gerard Butler keeps getting to do action movies that always flop. I assume those films must make bank internationally or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TLJ passed Beauty and the Beast to become the highest grossing movie of 2017.

• Locked thread