Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tars Tarkas posted:

Deepwater Horizon - A cooler film would be about how BP PR managed to cover up a bunch of the oil spill's bad effects, but then there couldn't be cool explosions.
Production Budget: $110 million
Box Office: $61 million (domestic); $119 million (worldwide total) - currently still in theaters

Posting because I can't find the bookmark button.

This one and Benghazi stayed in theaters because the theater managers were worried they'd have another joker shooting up the place.

The film was very successful at the home box office, in DVD and blu-ray sales. Likely due to a boost from the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election, the film grossed an additional $40 million in DVD and blu-ray sales.[31]

e: that wiki comment was about 13 hours, not deepwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

You're only wrong in the part where you said there are better parts of Suicide Squad. That entire movie is a dumpster fire from top to bottom. Except Jai Courtney, weirdly enough.

Suicide Squad was dumb.

It was also fun to watch.

I'm not educated enough to debate how the production costs affected the net profits in the US and abroad but I can say, it was fun to watch.

As fun as any comic book mess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's a bit in Intron Depot, his artbook, which has that scene uncut in it. I believe he said he did the scene as lesbians because "he didn't want to draw male rear end".

Of course, Shirow's tastes have grown in recent years. He's no longer frightened of drawing men's butts but, boy, you wish he was because now we're getting his ingenues getting railed in thirty-man gangbangs by horse men, bird men, black men...

You ever feel you walked into the wrong internet forum, at just the right time? Feel like you got jumped?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The movie that made fun of comic book characters so hard it broke all the walls and had us in stitches.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Hollywood wants people to think that their movies are always bombing because it makes it easier to not pay taxes on anything ever.

The one big failing of the Sony hack was that they didn't dump any incriminating Hollywood Accounting records.

The phrase "Hollywood Accounting" is listed by the MPAA as NC-17.

TMYK

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You have to know the code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMjF484LlY

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The word blood no longer makes sense after reading that post.

When it gets to semantic satiation you know you have a problem

But it feels good do*fallsover*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wait the first one came out and I wasn't notified?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (2015)

I remember seeing lowtax tweet mild outrage at it but not cuz he wanted the money. He just seemed ashamed for the ARG crew.

It couldn't have made much of an impression on the box office

Dismal imdb page looks like it never hit a theater

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

The money influx from that and their dvd sales ultimately drove them apart and killed all their future projects. That should be the plot of this movie.

This sounds intrguing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Odd that Lowtax would get the money and not, like, the poster that came up with the idea.

SA is just a giant work-for-hire scheme.

He technically owned all the rights but didn't seem to want anything to do with the idea

I think it might be because he has kids and well, you know

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/slender-man-trial-trying-these-girls-as-adults-is-absurd-w431464

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Madkal posted:

The scariest thing for me was the movie The Witches based on the Roald Dahl book. Just seeing Anjelica Houston transform freaked me out for months.

Monster Truck looks like the most earnest movie made in the last 20 years or so.

:rip: earnest movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2V3Uj3xjA

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Freddy Krueger bed sheets for children has to be near the top on the list of bizarre marketing ideas. The meeting where they came up with that must have been fascinating.

It involved a lot of trying to discretely clear nasal passages, that's for certain

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I wasn't really scared of too much as a kid. Skeletons kinda creeped me out a little bit, but the only thing that really got me was this fucker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsJjfS-i2zM

Took me years to finally be able to watch that part of the film.

That's nastier than I remember.

I'm a big fan of the first 3 movies but I'd forgotten how drippy that scene was.

Nice job on the practical effects, people.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

I remember being allowed to watch Alien when I was about 6.

I thought the Chestburster was cute.

That was Spaceballs. Easy mistake to make.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

The only horror movie that messed me up as a kid around 9, and I don't know how I came across seeing it, is Event Horizon. It wasn't even the core, it was the overwhelming sense of despair and hopelessness that they're all hosed.

Bringing Out the Dead had some of the same sense but in an alternate reality (from EH) where it's just another day in NYC for a pair of medics.

EH had distance and space and possibly a hell dimension to make their jobs seem so futile.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Fly is an interesting case for me because the depicted events are technically horrifying, but there's so much humour in the film that I never really get the uncomfortable feeling that some other horror films induce. Watching Jeff Goldblum being excited about turning into a fly is just too much fun.

Yeah, in retrospect, it's kind of strange that Temple of Doom was the film which got us the PG-13 rating, when everything in it pales in comparison to the finale of Raiders.

The finale of Raiders gave us a man eating a fly and some nazi jerks opening a box and going all house of wax.

Doom gave us a drugged up cult member getting his heart pulled out and then incinerated as he chanted the cult motto.

All the scenes of Indy being forced to drink the blood and lying there until it seemed like his mind had been destroyed and was going to go into the enslavement of children business *shudders*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

jesus gently caress, yes. I was watching it with my family at home, and the way the aliens moved was just utterly terrifying to me. I see now they were meant to be funny-creepy, but I had a meltdown and hid behind the couch for the rest of the movie.

I also remember being freaked out by the Halloween Ernest movie, which was a terrible dumb comedy, but had nightmarish transformation sequences that haunted my dreams.

I don't know how the licensing would work but getting the martians from Mars Attacks to do an Aflac commercial would make me giggle

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Makes his role in Ferris Bueller a little hosed up in retrospect. Why's he so obsessed with that young boy?!

O-oh...

Seriously.

It's the vice-principal who is supposed to run around dealing with delinquents.

He was way out of line and should have been recognized as such.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dexie posted:

I'll admit it. I'm kind of intrigued by this.

Because of how unpolished H-B was?

How it was always a poo poo tier comic show shoveler?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I watched Ocean's Twelve last night, as part of my quest to actually watch every Soderbergh movie, and holy poo poo, who greenlighted that? It was incredibly fun, but from a Hollywood standpoint it's absolute arthouse wank nonsense with really amazing visuals and the best score I've ever heard.

Today I found out that Soderbergh himself considers it "the highest budget stoner film" and that they're doing an all-female Ocean's Eight

They named the fourth Ocean's film Ocean's 8

Yeah. 8 is like 2 more than four.

Also could you stop seeming to disagree with yourself?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Wasn't Ocean's 12 written during the writer's strike?

I don't know the answer to this question and refuse to google it but uh Blade Runner was at one point.

Rutger Hauer spent an evening contemplating his character's death scene and came up with the iconic speech about having seen things.

It was pretty good work. Or maybe he just grabbed a writer by the collar and coldly explained he needed an iconic death speech, threw a wad of cash at him and was like "make it work"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

It kind of was.

So where was Andy Garcia?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Except without the characters.

I was going to say "memorable characters", but I feel like even that's giving Rogue One a bit too much credit.

Remember the R1 characters who died?

I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvswNDAAZCU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

Yeah we saw the 60s and 1994 Romeo & Juliets and also Name of the Rose at school at like age 15 and no one cared. These parents are loving idiots.

Parents should have been upset about Decaprio and Juliet.

Guns as sabers? Outrageous.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My freshman or sophomore English teacher had us watch Grumpy Old Men.

Took two classes to get through but the payoff of the end credits with Burgess Meredith just killing with outtakes. :allears:

No idea why she chose that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I showed part of The People vs Larry Flynt in a US History class as part of a project about the first amendment.

That's a pretty good movie.

I remember Courtney Love being good in that.

Legit, no insult

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

She is, I think she got nominated for several acting awards. Her struggle and sacrifice enshrined in Supreme Court case law our ability to obliquely imply Jerry Falwell hosed his mother in an outhouse via parody liquor ads.

Never forget

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Will Smith is, presumably, slated to play Dumbo, right?

So many ear jokes on the horizon.

It's actually a tag team with Vivica A. Fox describing the ears and then he gets to comment on the skinny legs of the crows all shucking and jiving on a cell tower decorated to look like a tree.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

One of my college English professors showed us the Crying Game, and having lived with a drag queen and other LBGTQ people all my life I was the only one in my class that wasn't surprised by the reveal.

I'm jealous. I only knew the song and the Ace Ventura reference for a long time and then one day sat down and watched it and it was good.

Song's also pretty good, I got that part. I just expected it to be schlock and nope.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mecha Gojira posted:

Late Tim Burton Dumbo sounds awful, AND if Will Smith opts to do it, it'll put Bad Boys 3 on hold. Personally, I'm hoping it never gets made. And we get Bad Boys 3.

Yeah I had no idea BB3 was a thing but getting him and Martin Lawrence back together sounds nice.

I really want to see a pool-destruction gag straight of of Rio and they drive through it in a super up-armored truck.

I am often sarcastic with my posts but I need to see this because of reasons.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll let him tell it in his own words:

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/home/articles-readarticle.php?nid=5

The funny thing is that originally before the new BSG miniseries aired, he did a promotional interview with the new Starbuck actress to promote it and was supposedly the one who convinced a then-reluctant Richard Hatch to give it a try.

Isn't there a funny video of Katee Sackhoff and him in a Starbucks?

I can't find it but it seemed like a nice reconciliation thingy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, Gran Torino, in which a rich old white man explains to two poor young minorities why political correctness is bad.

Why is Clint "rich" here? He's got a house on the same drat block and PTSD up the whazoo but he's not exactly rolling in it. They're poor cuz they're kids.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Clint Eastwood himself is really rich, and so, when he makes a film where he gets to tell poor minorities that he's not really racist while playing a character who speaks almost exclusively in racial slurs, it's kind of hard not to see it in a loaded light.

His character was a bitter angry old stereotype who helps out the family next door while grumbling a lot.

The whole "didn't bring a gun now fight me you fucks" scene owned.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Get off my lawn and pull up your pants: the movie

That's why I thought I'd hate it.

I guess Bill Murray did it better in St. Vincent but then when doesn't he?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Clint Eastwood stars in What if Old and Racist But Good.

Clint Eastwood stars in: What if I Have Human Compassion and it Exceeds My Racism Levels and the Outcome is Good

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Clint Eastwood in: The Wrestler, But With Racism Instead of Wrestling.

Not saying he has it all together, just that Torino was good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

Clint Eastwood is basically just a more polished Frank Miller at this point.

And we have a shot across the bow.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Aliens, in general not in Signs specifically, are a modern incarnation of fairies/elves. They're a mysterious otherworldly force that is like us but different. They abduct people and like faires (and succubi/incubi, vampires, mares and shadow people) they're an attempt to explain sleep paralysis.

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

If you haven't experienced sleep paralysis it can be difficult to describe, but it is quite distinct from dreaming.

Yeah. Knowing you can't move and there is something out there coming for you, could be puma could be a murderous madman and just lying there is a trip.

People should pay for the experience.

• Locked thread