Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

FreudianSlippers posted:

My most anticipated films of 2017 are The Death of Stalin by Armando Iannucci (In the Loop), Under the Silver Lake a neo-noir by David Mitchell (not the comedian or the author but the guy who did It Follows), and Okja a kaiju film of some sort by Bong Joon-Ho (Memories of Murder, Snowpiercer, The Host) .

I heard something about Okja, which is that Tilda Swinton plays twins in it, one of which is good, and the other is evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Mars Attacks
I don't think I've ever seen it again since 96.

jesus gently caress, yes. I was watching it with my family at home, and the way the aliens moved was just utterly terrifying to me. I see now they were meant to be funny-creepy, but I had a meltdown and hid behind the couch for the rest of the movie.

I also remember being freaked out by the Halloween Ernest movie, which was a terrible dumb comedy, but had nightmarish transformation sequences that haunted my dreams.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Is Brokeback Mountain at all effective for someone who doesn't get upset about the idea of gay cowboys?

It's effective for anyone that likes good movies, because Ang Lee is a great fuckin' director, and Heath Ledger was a great actor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'll give you Ledger but Ang Lee is awful.

This is insane.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Now I'm wondering a world where Mitt Romney won and making Mormon interpretations of various horror tropes became the norm.

now I wish there was an entire Mormon-influenced subgenre of horror.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Okay so John Wick 2 is running at about 97% tomato meter, I think it's time I watched the first one.

John Wick is not the action movie we deserve, but it's the one we need. It is dropped in somehow from a better Earth, from a reality where Hollywood action movies are good and clean and rad and powerful and Keanu Reeves is in his rightful place as an action star.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well, but I forgot the particulars. I knee the company in Timeline was doing the time runs not for pure research.

That whole approach was better done in Bruce Sterling's and Rudy Rucker's "Mozart In Mirrorshades", where a resource extraction company is literally strip-mining the parallel pasts (which, theoretically, gives them unlimited resources), as well as William Gibson's "The Peripheral" where the future people are using a time-traveling communication technology into their alternate past to solve a labor shortage via remotes.

btw, The Peripheral would probably be the easiest to adapt of William Gibson's work, straight out. It's a lot less dense, more straightforward in its plot and the competing aims of the "good guys" and the "bad guys", and everything resolves in a way that makes coherent sense. Which is to say it's not top tier Gibson, but reading it the entire time, I imagined it making a pretty effective movie.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Was this the one where THEY FAX THEMSELVES TO THE PAST! because that's all I remember about that movie. What a dumb idea.

Wait, if they faxed themselves to the past, they would just be creating a copy of themselves in the past, and the original ones would stay in the present. because faxing doesn't destroy the original document, only copies it in a remote location.

*has clearly watched/read too much sci-fi*

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Apes-Ma posted:

I love how Cronenberg managed to portray the loopy logic of a 90's point-and-click game on film. eXistenZ is a treasure.

What would a modern eXistenZ look like?

Perhaps it would comment on the existential tedium and pointless consumerism of the "map game".

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Still waiting for my Sean Bean/Michelle Rodriguez movie where they just hang out waiting to die.

Sean Bean/Michelle Rodriguez buddy cop movie!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

And while the content and conception is undoubtedly Western, it's done a really good job maintaining the diversity of its cast from season to season.

that's missing the broader point. The point is, first - is it ethical for a Western media to take footage from a Japanese show and appropriate it for an American show with very little acknowledgement? Is that not a fundamentally racist, imperialist project?

Second, "diversity of cast" is all well and good, but it's an obsession with quantity over quality. well, we should have both, but progressives have gotten distracted by focusing on one over the other. while we push for more diverse casts, we should be intensely mindful of the CONTENT. The way things are going, even if Hollywood goes through a change, and offers more films with diverse casts, the content of those films will not be significantly more progressive, and the characters are still likely to be problematic and stereotyped.

SMG wants to go even further and suggest that the entire Hollywood system is inherently racist, which is true, but not particularly helpful. still, there's a valuable point buried in there. that when progressives get obsessed with numerical value over ethics, they're playing by the rules of the people they oppose. like them, reducing people to only numbers, and getting into the weeds on percentages and quotas. And again, not that that doesn't matter, but by focusing only on that we're conceding something to Hollywood we shouldn't ever be conceding.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

we need an actual, unironic Captain Planet movie. and have all the kids be from third world countries that have been done dirty by American capitalists. With the shock twist that the friendly tech billionaire that has been helping them the whole movie has commodified the Captain Planet image, and there's nothing they can do about it. The film ends on a shot of a wrecked tanker ship, and a mass of floating Captain Planet merchandise.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know where else to ask this, and given we've been discussing the film's failure here, I suppose this might be the best place:

Could a movie like GiTS done better had they just brazenly Americanized the entire thing, top to bottom? Just said "gently caress it, Middle America is only gonna see this if it's set in New York"? The only example off the top of my head is Edge of Tomorrow, but I don't exactly follow anime-or-eastern-based-western-adaptations genre closely.

As someone who hasn't read the comics and have no interest in doing so, I felt detached from the film because so much of the pieces that made it up were foreign (pun not intended) to me as a viewer. That's on me, obviously, because I'm an ignorant American and I'm not culturally exposed to other cultures as I should be. I've been asking myself if I'd have these questions if the movie I just saw was Deus Ex Starting JC Denton, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

Now, it'd set a horrible ethical precedent, but I think you get my question.

this is what I wanted GitS to do, and why I sort of lost any enthusiasm for it when they kept way too much of the original Japanese stuff. The "Magnificent Seven" approach is the best approach to adapting foreign properties. You take the skeleton, and some of the basic character ideas and visuals, but then put a distinctly American spin on it. This only really works, though, when the property CAN reasonably be translated into something resonant to American culture. American Akira is the stupidest loving idea ever.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

That one is loving hilarious, because Warner Brothers says that they don't have to pay because it's based on a true story, so there defense is that ghosts are real.

The court transcripts on this will be amazing. the judge is going to be like "wait...so basically this is about whether ghosts are real? I guess we're doing this. Jesus."

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I love Pain and Gain, and I'm sure the Transformers movies have a lot of that sneaky commentary, but there's just too much incoherent noise and sound and grinding metal. It's like listening to atonal music - I appreciate the artistry, but gently caress no to spending two hours listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Timby posted:

Adam McKay going from poo poo like Anchorman and Talladega Nights to dramas like Big Short and now this is still the weirdest thing.

and he got nominated for an Academy award for Best Director for The Big Short, and might well receive another for this. Crazy times.

• Locked thread