Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can I ask a question in this thread (because it's about 2017 movies): how far wrong am I in presuming that Star Wars will fall short of a billion dollars this time round? I think it will end up in the $900 million region. According to Wikipedia, it's on $775 million at the moment, and based on what I've read about it, the fact that it had a very steep drop in its second week seems to me to indicate that most people who want to see it have already seen it and aren't interested in seeing it again (which its poor word of mouth will surely exacerbate). Are there still $300 million left for it make?

I think it will finish off as the second or third biggest movie of the year (in terms of money earned) behind Beauty and the Bast and Fate of the Furious and coming in fourth seems like a possibility as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Peeping Tom is a slasher. It was out in 1960.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

joylessdivision posted:

It's considered a proto-slasher. It's that grey area where it doesn't fit the common tropes of what is considered a "Slasher" but it's in the DNA of the genre like Psycho.

It's interesting to consider how that almost destroyed the director's career because contemporary audiences were so disgusted by it, which seems so quaint to our 2017 eyes. Similarly, I remember reading about this big name Golden Age Hollywood actor or producer (I don't remember who) being so offended by the screenplay for Bonnie and Clyde that he described as "an open sewer" or something like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

The latest Star Wars still had a bunch of shows sold out yesterday at the theaters but I also heard people leaving the shows while going to Pitch Perfect 3 and most of them were complaining, so I don't think it will get quite the traditional boost from people seeing it multiple times as the other films enjoyed, though it may get newer fans going to see it multiple times which will make up for the people who were complaining but also didn't see it for two weeks.

I think the weak word of mouth will undermine it. Even if it gets to one billion dollars, it'll struggle to get to $1.2, so it won't beat Beauty and the Beast and probably not Fate of the Furious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The next Jurassic World doesn't look too promising.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

The movie so bad it got him fired from Star Wars.

I have not seen it - is it worse than Fant4stic, the last movie that got a director fired from Star Wars?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Between stuff like Dark Tower, Justice League, Tom Cruise Mummy, that King Arthur movie and that King Arthur movie with Transformers, is 2017 the year Hollywood got over the cinematic universes fad?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

-A sequel to xXx that had Vin Diesel this time, and also that no one asked for

I read this older article a few weeks ago pointing out how the original xXx came out the same year as the thing it was supposed to replace (Die Another Day) and the one that was actually successful (Bourne Identity). Is there a "super spy" series now? There was a xXx movie and a Bourne movie this year and who knows when the next James Bond one is actually showing up. I didn't see either of them but they came and went.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

There was a Bourne movie this year? Whaaaa?

My mistake, it was last year.

got any sevens posted:

I hope so but just today in the paper there was a quote from Kenny Branaugh about an agatha christie shared universe

What can you really do with that other than Miss Marple, though? I thought he was just going to keep making Poirot movies and put other, non-Poirot-related Agatha Christie characters in them.

He'd be as well to try doing some kind of Great Detectives Shared Cinematic Universe. He can get John Goodman to play Nero Wolfe and Jon Hamm as Philip Marlowe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And it hasn't even opened in China yet ...

Star Wars doesn't tend to be enormously popular in China, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

They can capture the MRA crowd by doing a reboot called Dr. Quin: Medicine Man.

(I haven't seen this movie, but although I like more or less everything that's on this poster/cover, I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't like it if I did.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

March looks like it is the upcoming disaster month of 2018 with Death Wish; A Wrinkle In Time; Tomb Raider; a horror film that still doesn't have a title yet; I Can Only Imagine; Sherlock Gnomes; Pacific Rim 2; God's Not Dead 3; Ready Player One; and Paul, Apostle of Christ

At least one of them will be the big winner of the month and I think the most likely will be Ready Player One.

Tomb Raider will either be another Tom Cruise Mummy or it'll be another Hunger Games (i.e. pretty big but nowhere near as big as it's "supposed" to be).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

TLJ passed Beauty and the Beast to become the highest grossing movie of 2017.

In America. It still has a ways to go worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That doesn't really make sense because F8 is also in the top 10 this year for gross.

F8 is number two worldwide at the moment but it's like tenth in North America. It's made $1.2 billion and the billion is almost entirely overseas.

• Locked thread