Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

Jupitor Ascending is the only movie mentioned that merit a retrospective after a few years. It has the type of all out sincere type of detailed lunacy that the best type of beloved cult movies tend to have (from Robot Jox to I don't know, Near Dark or something). The other movies mentioned (Suicide Squad, Pan, etc) are crass commercial failures with nothing interesting to exhume.

Out of the films mentioned London Has Fallen, Hardcore Henry and Meet the Blacks were commercially successful, or at least the amount of money they made domestically was greater than their posted production costs. They may have been crass and they may not have been hugely profitable but they weren't commercial failures.

Suicide Squad was a gigantic commercial success and pulled in almost three quarters of a billion dollars worldwide. It made roughly the same amount as BvS domestically even though its production budget was $75m lower.

Improbable Lobster posted:

So fid BVS. But neither made the billion that WB was aiming at.

They were obviously disappointed with BvS's reception but no one ever expected Suicide Squad to put up much of a challenge against movies like The Avengers. WB weren't aiming at a billion with Suicide Squad.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

Pirates is a huge blockbuster franchise that has made over a billion dollars.

It's made nearly four billion dollars so far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For a movie that's supposedly mostly about orcs that trailer really, really underplayed the orc elements.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's a predecessor to Godzilla vs King Kong but a prequel to Godzilla since they're in a shared universe. It's not related to the Peter Jackson version.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kiimo posted:

Godzilla is prehistoric?

I thought he was a radiation side effect.

I purposefully didn't look up anything before posting this, I did think it was due to all the atomic testing. Is that not accurate?

The 1950s atomic testing was just a cover story in the 2014 film, the real reason they were deploying nukes in the Pacific was that they were trying to kill Godzilla.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maid Marian stepping into the spotlight isn't exactly a new idea, there was a British kids TV show built around the idea in the late 80s. It wasn't SERIOUSLY GRITTY :black101: though, Robin was just an incompetent figurehead (with Marian doing all the real work) rather than being killed off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Decius posted:

It fits perfectly to a movie that seemingly doesn't understand what made the original material interesting and lasting.

You can just picture a group of frowning studio execs sitting around a large screen TV in a board room with a bunch of scruffy writers standing behind them with note pads, all watching the original GiTS.
"Okay nerds, we want you to write that exact thing we just saw," says the chief exec. "But cut out all that lovely sciencey gobbledygook and all the ponderous talky crap .... oh and make it wayyy less Asian-y, okay? Maybe keep some geishas and poo poo but cut way down on the rest. Keep all the guns and explosions yadda yadda yadda you know the drill." "But what about the philosophical questions it poses about selfhood in the modern era?" "Cut that dumb poo poo out and make it Robocop. 'Oh no I'm a robot now, they stole my memories, wah wah.' Done. Next. Whatever. Get out of here."

Same with the iconic music: "Make it exactly the same, just less ponderous and Asian-y." "Uh, we could maybe sample it and run it through a dubstep generator?" "Whatever, just do it."

It'd actually be pretty disappointing to discover that everyone at every level behind the project were really passionate behind adapting the original movie/manga and this was their very best effort rather than just a quick attempt at pumping out yet another effects-heavy action flick which was generic enough to be palatable to the general masses.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Shoulda made a slow version of It's No Good the song for the trailer.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=IIW1CsLuuNM&video_start=0&audio=WfevfOKGrSo&audio_start=0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Using Robocop as a perjorative smdh.

Naw I meant it in the sense of "cybernetics-based themes that have been part of the American movie-going zeitgeist for three decades instead of something related but different"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is Kimg Kong in Skull Island comparable to Godzillia's size?

Nope, apparently he's about 32m tall and Godzilla 2014 was 108m tall, so he's less than a third as tall.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope a wizard makes King Kong taller for their fight. Otherwise Godzilla will look like an rear end in a top hat for kicking around that poor little chimpanzee.

Skull Island is set in 1973 and King Kong v Godzilla will be released in 2020 so he's got 47 years to catch up!

Note also that the 1933 Kong was only between 5.5m and 7.3m tall, 1976 Kong was between 12.8m and 16.8m tall and Peter Jackson's Kong was 7.6m tall. A 32m tall Kong is still twice as tall as he's previously been depicted in Western cinema.

The Japanese Kong that fought the Toho Godzilla back in 1962 was 45m tall though, so he's not the biggest Kong yet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't get Kong or Godzilla for that matter.

They started out pretty thematically different in their original films so they were always going to be a difficult pair to match up. 1933 Kong was a throwback to a prehistoric age of giant animals that ruled the earth but was suddenly transposed into a modern city, he was always supposed to be nearly plausible. They'd found a whole bunch of giant dinosaur bones and giant prehistoric mammal bones so why not a giant ape which was as big as a dinosaur?

Godzilla 1954 was a metaphor for atomic weapons, it was almost incomprehensible in its destructive power and its indiscriminate carnage. It's a nightmare beyond anything anyone has ever encountered. You couldn't out think it, you couldn't overpower it, you could barely outrun it if you had sufficient warning it was coming. Regular human weapons had no effect on it (unlike Kong) and the only thing that could beat it was an even worse scientific weapon which might have ended up being even deadlier to humanity than Godzilla if the inventor hadn't taken extreme measures to ensure it never fell into the wrong hands.

Toho had them face off against each other in 1962 but they took a leaf out of FishBulb's book and went "Eh, Kong is super super big now. He just is, we're not going to explain it" and got on with it. Legendary Pictures are trying to make the characters more 'grounded' so they're apparently going to try and ease us into the idea of a land based omnivore that weighs more than a blue whale.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 8, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leavemywife posted:

Is Kong vs Godzilla a confirmed thing? I suppose we have no idea why they're going to duke it out, do we?

Yeah we're getting Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 2019 and Warner Bros announced in May last year that we'd get Godzilla vs. Kong in 2020.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters will apparently be directed by Michael Dougherty (director on Krampus, writer on X-Men: Apocalypse and Superman Returns) and written by Max Borenstein, Michael Dougherty and Zach Shields. They haven't announced any names or plot details for Godzilla vs. Kong yet.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 8, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Godzilla and King Kong will fight, but stop once they realize they need to work together to stop The Joker.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rirse posted:

Is this canon?

No but this is:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh, it definitely changed the style, and that put a damper on more naturalistic action. You're not wrong to think that a ton of stuff looked like The Matrix for a while. I just wanted to push back against "it was really only martial arts movies that were that highly stylized before."

The first Matrix movie didn't actually have a lot of stuff in it that hadn't been done before (heck, I don't know if it really had anything that was completely new in it) but it was massively influential for the longest time. Not just in films but in TV and real world fashion and all sorts of stuff, it really dug in deep into the zeitgeist. I think part of that was that the Goth scene and the internet were both bleeding into mainstream culture and The Matrix was just in the right place at the right time.

It's still pretty darn influential today, although often expressed via poo poo like Redpillers.

Leavemywife posted:

Now, let's discuss the effects of Mortal Kombat on successful video game movies.

Super Mario Brothers was genuinely a huge influence on subsequent video game movies by convincing the big studios that video games were box office poison. :v:

There should have been dozens of video game movies during the 90s but after SMB stunk up the place we only got Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leavemywife posted:

Why don't video game movies ever do good?

Throughout the 90s it was mostly because the bigger studios wouldn't touch them so they got made by smaller studios on smaller budgets and were pretty much trash that didn't sell tickets. It wasn't until Tomb Raider in '01 that they started putting an actual budget behind the movies and taking them seriously.

There's at least 20 big budget video game movies currently in production including a Tomb Raider remake, Minecraft, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha ha I was just looking up all the video game movies that have been made and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is the third biggest video game movie ever at the box office pulling in over $90 million domestically but they gave it a production budget of $200 million so it was still a giant stinky turd of a failure.

And did you ever wonder why the film had such a long title including a colon and a subtitle? It turns out "according to Disney and Bruckheimer [the movie] was supposed to be "the new Pirates of the Caribbean""
Whoooops nope

Edit:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Some day there will be a Clue or Pirates of the Caribbean that adapts a nonsensical property into a fun movie

Hey good timing!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how are they even going to do the red pill scene in new matrix in a post-trump mra-ruled america

Replace it with a pink pill. :getin:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skwirl posted:

Whenever Video Game movies comes up, everyone forgets that there are 6 Resident Evil movies

The movie going public sure forgot about the franchise when RE: Final Chapter came out in January this year. :mmmhmm:

Edit: well apart from the movie going public in China where the box office total was nearly six times as big as the US box office (and about twice the Chinese box office for Rogue One!), so I guess they're making #7 for that market. Because the domestic market sure didn't go for it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 16, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IUG posted:

They used this all the time on Mythbusters. Adam Savage also worked on the second movie. His company made the gates that the Nebercanzer crashes through (I don't care to look up how I'm supposed to spell the name of that ship).

Nebuchadnezzar. :eng101:
He was the Babylonian king who built the Hanging Gardens, destroyed Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem and rebuilt and fortified Babylon with a triple line of walls and massive gates.
He also a bit obsessed with finding/protecting The Son of God (at least spiritually, he died centuries before Jesus was born) and also spent a heck of a lot of time trying to interpret his crazy rear end dreams.

The nameplate on the ship in the movie reads "Mark III No. 11 made in the USA year 2069" and Mark 3:11 in the Bible says "And unclean spirits when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried saying, Thou art the Son of God" because Neo = Computer Jesus who makes filthy machines fall down go boom.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't heard about Miracleman being recolored and it looked fine to me, although I don't have the originals to compare them to. It's worth noting Miracleman was reprinted by Marvel, who I don't think does the aggressively bad recoloring that DC does.

DeimosRising posted:

It was definitely totally recolored digitally. I have seen exactly one comparison page and it's similar to Flex in that it is a completely changed palette.

Miracleman:

Batman: The Killing Joke:

Flex Mentallo:

The Incal:

Just suck allllll the life out of that art, boys! Beige beige beige is the way!

Edit: Jack Kirby art? Larger than life? gently caress that, let's drag it back down to regular ground level!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 21, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

He didn't do the original colors, so that's misleading. He's still replacing another artist''s work. Almost inevitably, if the penciller and/or inked is not a colorist, they just try to make the colors bland to emphasize their linework. Would have sucked less to just release the inked pencils uncolored.

It's pretty much the same as re-releasing a classic old song but replacing one of the musicians. It becomes a different work of art. "Eh, that drummer is a bit too 60s for modern audiences, replace it with a drum machine and slow it down 20%."

DeimosRising posted:

Edit: just saw your edit. I'm dead

:tipshat:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

If you're updating the colours to be so different, may as well just re-draw the drat thing.

The recoloured Marvel Star Wars comic looks so bizarre with lovingly detailed and accurate colours over the wacky hastily-drawn 1977 line art and randomly changed dialogue. If they're changing the art so much that they really may as well have redone it.

Lobok posted:

Also one of those Kirby pages is Romita Jr.

D'oh, of course it is! :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 22, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ALFbrot posted:

Dear Woody Harrelson,

Humans are apes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In case you weren't aware, one of the biggest box office hits in movie history is currently in cinemas. Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast had the sixth biggest domestic opening weekend of all time and has made $400 million worldwide in just four days. It's loving insane.

Young Freud posted:

I'm hoping that Dafoe is Ryuk with no CG. It's just him in the suit, with little makeup.

That glowing eye effect we saw in the trailer? That's just DaFoe with glowstick fluid injected into his eyeballs. The studio didn't make him do that, he just turned up to shooting on day 1 like that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

Is it really that insane?

I didn't see any hype around this movie, the only times I've seen it mentioned anywhere were people bitching about the CGI designs of the Beast, Mrs. Potts and Cogsworth and the fugly Belle doll that everyone was making fun of. I don't even remember seeing any posters when I went to the cinemas in the last few weeks, it's like it came out of nowhere.

Edit:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

I just looked at Logan's B.O. and wowee that's a large number worldwide. 550MM? Good for it. But it was still blown out domestically by Beauty already.

It took Logan 19 days to make as much domestically as Beauty and the Beast made in four days. BatB has also already made 2/3 of Logan's foreign BO over those same periods.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's hilarious that movies that make half a billion are just swept aside routinely. Quarter of a bil? FLOP

Many of those films also had production budgets of a quarter of a billion, it's all crazy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even something like Crimson Peak cost more than a hundred million to make.

I thought that was only $55m?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Disney has over a dozen live action remakes currently in production. Lion King, Aladdin and Dumbo will probably come out pretty soon and others include Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and a 101 Dalmatians spinoff focusing on Cruella deVille.

Grendels Dad posted:

Did anybody even care about Disney's Mulan? I was under the impression it was one of the more underwhelming movies at the tail- end of the golden period.

I wouldn't have thought that The Jungle Book was all that popular any more but the live action remake Disney put in theatres last year came just shy of making a billion dollars worldwide. But then again their Pete's Dragon live action remake didn't set the world on fire so they're not all record breakers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

There was just a live action Pinocchio 20 years ago (not Disney), do we really need another one?

Disney also made a live action TV movie in 2000 starring Drew Carey and Julia-Louis Dreyfus :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1los3Jz7lwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw7_U2vwsSw

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 23, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

No.

Theyre doing it for the absolute gobs of money it brings them while refreshing aging IPs to be used. All this vaulting and whatever is a side effect of making so much money that they can build a 1:1 replica of scrooge mcducks money vault.

Yeah Disney have always been searching for ways to squeeze more money out of their back catalogue of films. Their live action remakes aren't even anything new, they did live action remakes of The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians back in the mid 90s. They've also remade live action movies like Flubber, That Darn Cat!, Escape to Witch Mountain and Freaky Friday and adapted their park rides into movies like Country Bears and Haunted Mansion and some pirate thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FilthyImp posted:

I kind of thought they were on a Villain kick with Maleficent. But it looks like they couldn't pass up the easy money to make a live action B&B, instead of a live-action Gaston! film.

They haven't given up on the villain flicks, there's a Cruella film in the works. Emma Stone is currently set to star.

Edit: also a sequel to Maleficent

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 24, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cockmaster posted:

Is it just me, or does that feel more like an attempt at a parody of Baywatch than an adaptation?

It's an ironic adaptation because the internet ruined everything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hiddenmovement posted:

21 Jump Street and Starsky & Hutch both took that approach and they were both way better than their source material. Bring on goofy Baywatch comedy.

They've been doing it for decades :ssh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiFahsAwJA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

With any luck, this MonsterVerse will be the next F&F.

The Fire Rodan and the ..... poo poo, I can't think of any other kaiju that have names starting with 'f'.

Fairy Mothra totally doesn't count, they're teensy. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

Whether Jolie has been in a good film is one thing, but she's been in bugger all successful films, as well. She's had about 8 hits scattered over 20 years. Remove those where she was part of an ensemble voice cast for a cartoon, and it's four. Remove those that were based on existing, popular properties, and it's just "Mr and Mrs Smith" And "Gone in 60 Seconds"

It's not a terrible career by any stretch but it is at odds with her being perceived as a massive star.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I'd put up an argument that Maleficent should be counted as a big hit in her favour. It's true that it was based on an existing property but it was a spinoff of a 55 year old film, it starred the villain and it didn't even have any of the other characters or feature songs like the original.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

parallelodad posted:

I think a lot of people consider that movie "post retirement" or something for some reason.

Female and 39? Ooh not a good combination in Hollywood, sorry about that career.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Man, whoever is Pennywise on this new version has some really big shoes to fill.

No they're gag oversized shoes, they don't actually fill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

basic hitler posted:

I think you're overstating the potential effect whitewashing controversies can have on general moviegoers.

if i find some time and extra cash i might go see GITS but i've already seen the anime years and years ago and i dont feel like watching the movie again but different.

The effect the anime loving whiners have is overstated too. The marketing campaign was really bad and the lack of screening/coherent advertising is causing it to crash and burn.

The only interesting thing about the movie so far has been the whitewashing controversy and that wasn't even all that interesting to most people. It feels like Paramount went "Welp, damned if you do, damned if you don't!" and just let it slide into cinemas without much fanfare.

• Locked thread