Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Case for Christ - I'm confused, wasn't God dead? Now he's going on trial?

I read this book and it had no narrative whatsoever beyond the first chapter, where the journalist author talks about how he was a non-believer but his christian wife(I think) challenged him to examine The Case for Christ. The rest of the book is a series of interviews with a bunch of evangelical academics and theologens making said case. There really has to be better christian media to adapt into movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The last Call of Duty sold like half as much as they expected, they really shouldn't have waited until the franchise was dying from over saturation before trying to branch into movies.

For the film studio this would be better for sure, but from the game developer's perspective it makes sense. Having a terrible film damage your billion dollar a year property might be a risk you pass on for whatever share of the film you'd get, but when that starts becoming a $500 million or $100 million thing, cashing in with whatever becomes more attractive

I have no idea how involved Activision would be in the production/distribution based on their press release though

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Was looking at the weekend box office returns and there are some really impressive bombs being put out this holiday/star wars season:
  • The Greatest Showman(3000 theater opening, reported $84 million budget) made $13 million through it's first weekend. No international numbers reported yet but it's a biopic about an American guy, the sort of movie that frequently do not get big international pushes

• Downsizing(2700 theaters, $68 million budget) made $5 million this wekend. Can't see weirdo sci fi dramedy making any money overseas

• Father Figures(2900 theaters, but a modest $25 million budget) made just $3 million. No reason to expect any international run for an R rated english language comedy

• Finally, John Cena animated vehicle Ferdinand(initial opening of 3600 theaters, $111 million budget) has made $34 million worldwide through two weeks
I dunno if the January failure dumping ground has expanded to December now or what but that's a lot of expensive fuckups over a couple weeks. They're all pretty commercial films that have no chance at major awards too

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can I ask a question in this thread (because it's about 2017 movies): how far wrong am I in presuming that Star Wars will fall short of a billion dollars this time round? I think it will end up in the $900 million region. According to Wikipedia, it's on $775 million at the moment, and based on what I've read about it, the fact that it had a very steep drop in its second week seems to me to indicate that most people who want to see it have already seen it and aren't interested in seeing it again (which its poor word of mouth will surely exacerbate). Are there still $300 million left for it make?

I think it will finish off as the second or third biggest movie of the year (in terms of money earned) behind Beauty and the Bast and Fate of the Furious and coming in fourth seems like a possibility as well.

Boxofficemojo has it releasing in China in January. It's not a super huge deal in China or anything, but I think that + remaining legs should be enough to get it over a billion for sure

• Locked thread