Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Tars Tarkas posted:

An unnecessary sequel I'm glad they made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTbSudJ96o

This has the potential to be the best film of the year. I really should watch Skyline, and re-watch that there AVP: R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I had a film class senior year of high school - good times

We also got shown Romeo + Juliet in sophomore English and Jurassic Park in Biology. A lot of kids (mostly chicks) shockingly hadn't seen it - so the goat leg freak out was pretty priceless.

Actually, poo poo, we also saw Fall of the House of Usher (Corman) in junior English.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Clint Eastwood is basically just a more polished Frank Miller at this point.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Groovelord Neato posted:

plan 9 from outer space wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

What evidence is there to support this?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dexie posted:

Why would demons be leaving crop circles?

The same reason as the C.I.A./hoaxers - to distract people from the real menace.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
For reference as to "aliens are literally the exact same thing as ghosts/demons/the boogeyman": The Nightmare (Rodney Ascher, 2015)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ed Wood's career

It's hubcap flying saucers all the way down. (Just kidding, those flying saucers were toy models, Wood just lied about it later in life because he gave no fucks.)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
That is a sexy Tom Hardy... Another one!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes, exactly. I said "or" not "and". Both feed into modern Evangelism, despite the two traditions diverging pretty drastically.

Exactly - you could make the same exact case for how American Catholicism slowly morphed from a social justice-oriented faith to another face of 'the silent majority' and vehicle for moral crusaders who might as well be Evangelicals.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

muscles like this! posted:

Ugh, that terrible looking schmaltzy movie A Dog's Purpose had some behind the scenes footage leak where it shows that the filmmakers were not a dog's best friend. Basically the dog is forced to perform a stunt that it is clearly not comfortable doing (swimming in simulated rapids) and has to be shoved into the water.

There's always Weiner-Dog and Heart of a Dog, I'm pretty sure there's no simulated drowning in that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

got any sevens posted:

Seems like the films that get bood tend to be better.

It's almost like Sundance fans don't actually like Sundance

Wait a minute that's terrible-- <executed>

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The funny thing is that I would have no problem with a bunch of dumb humans pushing a dumb German shepherd into a heated wave pool if I knew it ended with the dog triumphantly returning and straight up revenge-killing a bunch of dudes a la The Painted Hills.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

got any sevens posted:

Keanu shared universe!

+ Cats & Dogs origin re-boot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

precision posted:

I wouldn't say Captain Boomerang's gimmick was throwing things, that's just his name. I know nothing of the comics but in the film I got the impression his sole gimmick was "robs banks, is Australian".

Captain Boomerang's gimmick is that he's exactly as useless as Slipknot, just not as stupid. He's explicitly a useless, lovely character who isn't even a good, petty super-criminal. He is, subsequently, the closest the film gives us to a 'tragic' figure. When he's returned to solitary confinement at the end, it really is kind of sad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The MSJ posted:

Forgot to post this one: Michael Bay's next movie will be set in a future where America's economy tanked and there is a mass migration of Americans to China. The story will be about an American-Chinese ex-Marine being hired by a Chinese billionaire to rescue his daughter in an American ghetto.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-wins-bidding-war-michael-bay-produced-script-trump-like-dystopia-968359

He's just producing, though

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

That's a pretty big assumption to make considering the political cluelessness of hollywood and people in general.

Well, yeah, whether or not Bay is self-aware that his movies play out exactly like Paul Verhoeven's Hollywood cycle but with better cinematography is irrelevant to the ultimate dilemma, which is whether people can pay attention.

For instance, 13 Hours is a spiritual sequel to Tropic Thunder.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, he was on his bed without shoes and asked for ding dongs (Ding dongs, man. Ding dongs, yo!). That was the sum total of what Bush did in Transformers.

It was also a very accurate summation of his presidency. (I'm pretty sure some of the extras even make some snide comments about him, but I can't remember correctly, I might just be wishing.)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Simplex posted:

But then you really have to question whether a big-budget summer action movie is an effective vehicle to get the point across, because almost all of the message is lost in the excitement of the explosions.

Making political subject matter aesthetically compelling and cinematic is the most appropriate thing. You got a handle on the film's satire just fine, all that's left to do is speak truthfully and accurately about it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I think he just wants to play Batman but doesn't necessarily think directing the film is the best way to see it developed. I don't think he's really ducking any 'fan hate' or whatever. If he were worried about that, he'd be blowing the horn full steam ahead instead of saying totally banal poo poo like, "Things take time to come together" and "Maybe I'll share the creative workload."

Like, what's gonna happen, Mark Kermode is gonna make fun of him and he'll, like, have his feelings hurt for a second before he goes back to his Eyes Wide Shut parties?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Random Stranger posted:

As much as Suicide Squad was justifiably reviled around here, I've heard a lot of people talking about how "awesome" it was. Naturally, these are all people with awful taste in films, but if there's one thing that the blockbuster model has taught us it's that there's a lot of people with bad taste in movies and they're willing to spend lots of money on them.

Of all the DC movies so far, it was the most explicitly similar to the MCU films, so the popular approval of Suicide Squad is entirely unremarkable. It does mean that we're probably gonna be getting a version of The Flash and what-have-you that's more spiritually akin to it than Snyder or Nolan's films, just without it being a joke.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The MSJ posted:

By the way, Tim Story is directing a new Shaft movie. He is probably more famous for Ride Along nowadays.

That's a real step down from Singleton, I reckon.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
X2 and First Class are both rather good, especially the former. They're at least as even with any of the other better films adapted from Marvel properties: The First Avengers, Hulk, Deadpool, Spider-Man 2, Spirit of Vengeance.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yeah, Brokeback is pretty good. It's, like, at least the second best Ang Lee movie I've seen.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

What have you seen? I like brokeback a lot but wedding banquet, eat drink man woman, crouching tiger hidden dragon, and lust, caution are all at least equally good. And I'd go to bat for pushing hands, hulk, and sense and sensibility too

I was trying and failing to imply that I hadn't seen enough of his movies - I've only seen Brokeback, Life of Pi (meh), Crouching Tiger (boss), and, yes, I'd go to bat for Hulk, too.

Hulk has all the worst aspects of comicbook films with none of the good whatsoever

Nah, dude, Hulk is good. Come for the bizarro, post-Atom Age love story / stay for the Brechtian distanciation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

GrandpaPants posted:

The trailer will have a slow cover of Princes of the Universe.

I dunno, "Who Wants to Live Forever" probably works better for a teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

21 Muns posted:

What if the movie's soundtrack is made entirely of Queen songs that weren't written for Highlander

Sold!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's kind of funny how you can plot an entire Highlander remake just with Queen song titles.

My ideal remake begins in Galilee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0J_kuTib1w

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first Queen couple Queen albums are super underrated, and if I can recall correctly, based on a fantasy land Mercury had created. The Mercury name came from the song My Fairy Queen. I'm betting that it could have made an awesome movie in its own right if he were still alive today.

Brian May's '39 is the plot of Interstellar.

That would be an easy way to weave in some subtle 'biographical' homages, like having elemental Mercury or the planet Mercury play some role in the plot.

'39 could easily be re-imagined as an overture a la the use of "1921" in Tommy. That's the back story, you say, "gently caress the haters, we're still takin' some of this poo poo and making it, like, blatantly about Scientology."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Both of Queen's movie albums are easily some of the best movie albums.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
My top picks for 2016's best bad movies are Meet the Blacks, London Has Fallen, and Gods of Egypt

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Two funny things from Suicide Squad that immediately pop to mind:

- When Rick Flagg just shrugs after he witnesses his boss murder a room full of computer jokeys

- The running gag where helicopters keep getting shot down, but nobody important gets killed or even wounded

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Groovelord Neato posted:

the katana introduction was p funny.

Yeah, it was - as was Delevingne's boneheaded sashaying and an Aztec god being killed by completely conventional weaponry.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The concept behind Gods of Egypt sounds loving bonkers but everything I've heard makes it sound pretty boring in practice.

You heard wrong. Gods of Egypt is exactly as competently made and entertaining as the Ray Harryhausen fantasies to which it is an homage.

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty much. Also nothing about the cosmology makes any kind of sense. Like Gerard Butler performs his coup and then just up and declares that getting into the afterlife works completely different now.

Butler is a literal god, cosmology is what he says it is, not the other way around.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I would argue that there isn't a difference between tasteless and bad when what comes out is as awful as Suicide Squad.

The difference is that nobody has said Suicide Squad is merely bad. There is fundamental agreement that it is exceptionally trashy - it's just that SMG/Hundu/myself are saying, "Lol, remember when the first melee fight in the movie was lame as poo poo?," and you are saying, "I still can't even put into words how lame that melee fight was."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

That's a pretty condescending way to put it.

E: also I was saying that it was outright bad, especially for a big budget film that was suppose to help establish a film franchise, not simply tasteless. It's pretty weird that you decided that I'm angry about it or whatever.

I didn't say anything about anger, or make any personal comments at all.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

No but you did say that no one said that SS was "merely bad" when loterally all my posts on the topic have been saying that the film is just bad.

Nah, mate, you said the editing was "extremely bad" and that the film is "bafflingly poorly made." I don't associate extremity/bafflement with plain mediocrity, and in general both positive and negative appraisals of Suicide Squad end up expressing the former and not the latter. Obviously, Saddest Rhino is doing a better job of expressing his displeasure with the movie, while also citing rather effectively the myriad stupid, mean-spirited, and trashy elements of the film; like Waller's "abject incompetence," for which she receives no 'poetic justice.'

I am condescending to no one. I am saying I agree: Suicide Squad is really trashy, and its exceptionally trashy elements are worth talking about.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Since when does bad mean mediocre?

Since whenever it became apparent that some things of exceptionally poor quality are in function and/or form, superior to things which are merely competent and conventional.

Like most American colloquialisms, it's pretty much appropriated from black culture - "bad" as in a coded "good," as opposed to "bad" as in a coded "white/bland."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Which is why we're all such good company.

HannibalBarca posted:

London Has Fallen suffers massively from the fact that it is exceedingly dull for a bad movie when compared with its immediate predecessor

I can at one level thoroughly understand what you're talking about here - but at another level believe firmly that the derivative premise of the Has Fallen franchise works better in the context of a slapdash sequel. The patriotism is definitely more gleefully, subversively morbid in London.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The CGI looks good.

I don't know why we keep having to explain why there's a giant monkey in the giant monkey movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

This is still the best moment in Final Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Beachcomber posted:

Does this seem as effeminate in Japanese?

It's definitely queer-coded, intentionally or not. Despite sometimes flubbing their lines, the actors behave in an atypically 'liberated' way when compared to the films it's referencing - which is not Spielberg movies, but in a kind of hybrid homage-diss, the films that 'inspired' Spielberg, old post-war B-movies.

What's often misinterpreted as the film's 'anti-American' sentiment is really just a straightforward critique of postcolonial, globalist ideology. That Godzillasaurus always existed and was just a 'good guy' who helped fight off the evil American imperialists is an ideological fantasy on the part of the Japanese soldiers (particularly Shindo). The reality is that Godzillasaurus represents subaltern, indigenous life, just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Godzilla comes back to life in the climax and kills Shindo indiscriminately.

• Locked thread