Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My fourth grade teacher decided to close out the year by showing us Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings. The really trippy aspects of that movie are what stuck with me like the photo negative Orcs and the psychedelic wizard duel (well that and Viking Boromir which affected the way I perceived the story when I actually read it for the first time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's not any good. Mark Wahlberg is the least believable serious cop possible. And even the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross score is a real disappointment compared to their previous film scores.
Since someone mentioned this and brought up The Departed on the same page I feel like I need to mention that his character in that movie was similarly the least believable serious cop in an otherwise pretty solidly okay film. It's like they wrote themselves into a corner and realized they had reached the end of the movie and, aside from losing Madolyn, nothing horrible had happened to Colin Sullivan so they went back and wrote in a completely useless rear end in a top hat cop caricature into a few scenes (where he doesn't, y'know, do anything actually related to the story or cause anything to happen) and then had him available to shoot Sullivan at the ending.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Hat Thoughts posted:

My main takeaway from seeing Shakespeare in Love was that the only reason it isn't treated the same as stuff like Never Been Kissed, Whatever It Takes, Saved!, etc. is because there's respected British people in it & a large dose of epic Robot Chicken style reference humor where it's funny because you understand that when Shakespeare asks if he should compare the lady to a summers day, well, let's just say the real scholars in the audience will get the ref   :D :D
I actually don't mind it winning Best Picture because Best Picture is sort of a meaningless joke of an award. The thing that's always bugged me about that year was Gwyneth Paltrow winning Best Actress over literally any of the other nominees. I'll be the pariah who admits to generally liking Gwyneth's acting but SIL gave her absolutely nothing interesting to do; talking with a fairly decent accent for two hours isn't some vastly praiseworthy turn.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

Nobody ever wins a battle in a movie by actually being smart. They're smart enough so that when the rad charge happens, it's sort of understandable why the good guys won.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

got any sevens posted:

That movie owns and that charge was real :allears: Not sure if they actually came up with the bugle charge there though.
It really does. It got me interested in the Civil War which led, over the years, to a wider interest in history. And reading through over a dozen books specifically about the battle of Gettysburg has led to the overwhelming consensus that nobody really understands why it worked or why the good guys won. "I guess the Confederates were pretty tired out by then" seems like the best bet.

Thank you, crazy billionaire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Thundercracker posted:

You should read up on the AHA. They are full on shills for Hollywood. A bunch of animals died making Lord of the Rings and they claimed it wasn't animal abuse.
I had to look this up because I didn't want to believe that Viggo Mortensen would allow an animal to get harmed on set without actually physically assaulting someone and was relieved to discover that it wasn't Lord of the Rings; it was The Hobbit and that's just one more reason to hate those awful, awful movies.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

Steven Erikson had something similar with Kallor, who's cursed to be immortal without ever ascending to godhood.

I don't really have a point, I just really liked the character.
This whole discussion reminds me of Oglaf. But most things do. I think I have a problem.

(Note that the character in question eventually ends up as a disembodied head and then... hasn't been seen since so I dunno. Presumably still immortal and hanging out with the Luck Monks.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

I give zero shits about a Dragon Tattoo film without Fincher/Mara.
On one hand, I give zero fucks about the films because the other books in that series are seriously terrible but on the other hand, I am fascinated to see what they might do with them.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

21 Muns posted:

Sweeney Todd suuuuuuucks, it was a terrible adaptation, the leads can't sing, if it didn't exist I wouldn't hate Tim Burton nearly so personally.

OTOH, Mars Attacks exists, so everything balances out
To be fair, Sweeney Todd is probably one of Sondheim's hardest works that requires the very strongest sort of singers to really make soar. When I saw that Johnny Depp was going to play the lead I had hoped that maybe that was the price being paid for getting the money to adapt the thing in the first place. And then I found out that Helena Bonham Carter was going to be Mrs. Lovett and I abandoned all hope. They sliced the show to pieces and may as well have ground it up into a meat pie.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

Antoine Fuqua's King Arthur is a funny one with regards to franchising. It's marketed like the set up to a new franchise, but has no sequel hook and half the knights are dead by the end. Man, that's a weird movie.
After the Horatio Hornblower tv movies, I really wanted Ioan Gruffudd to be a thing but every time he's been in a movie (that wasn't Horrible Bosses) he's just been a charismaless black hole so casting him as Lancelot was probably not the smartest move. But then basically nobody in that film came off as particularly interesting; Clive Owen in particular seemed bored the entire time.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"what if we removed everything good and memorable from Jumanji and had Kevin Hart scream for two hours?"
It's not like they could have Robin Williams in it again and I don't know what else might be 'good and memorable' about Jumanji. I might be slightly biased though because the Office Depot I was working in while going to school played the drat movie nonstop for like five months one summer to show off this fancy new DVD technology that everyone was going crazy for.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Frank Miller was asked to do The Spirit by the studio at no point in time did Frank Miller ever own the rights to The Spirit. He did say the reason he accepted it was because he didn't want anyone else to do it, but the studio didn't have to offer it to him at all and likely could have fired him at any point.
Something always brings this to mind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

The biggest issue with these Cinematic Universes are that they really, really want to be the Marvel Cinematic Universe, without realizing that the MCU was really formed nearly organically. The bigger problem with the other attempts is that you can't just drop in and out like you can with the MCU, each one of them that I've is mostly self-contained with an overlap of characters and some hook to draw you to the next one. I'm really not sure that it can truly be replicated at this point.
The other thing people blank on with the Marvel movies is that Marvel is working from a back catalog of nearly 60 years worth of stories. Most of them are terrible and would make worse movies than the Dark Universe Mummy but they have the luxury of picking from the ones that have stood the test of time. Thunderstrike will not be in early phase four...

• Locked thread