Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

2016 is finally dead, but not before killing every celebrity that ever existed and ushering in the End Times. But movies are still being made, so we got that going for us! In 2016, Disney became an unstoppable juggernaut of making money (even more than usual!), while most of the rest of the franchise world collapsed under the weight of unnecessary sequels and remakes and premakes and reimaginings and secret sequels and whatever the hell Collateral Beauty was!

First the Hall of Shame!!!

Unnecessary Sequels -

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - The biggest failure of the year despite making almost a billion dollars. Because it should have made double that! Not only did BvS cruise way below expectations, it put years of future films in jeopardy, caused emergency rewrites on films deep in production, and was criminally boring and nonsensical. I Am Legend was correct about this film.
Production Budget: $250 million
Box Office: $330 million (domestic); $873 million (worldwide total)

Zoolander 2 - I loved the original and had no interest in seeing this very late sequel ever. Neither did anyone else, it seems.
Production Budget: $50 million
Box Office: $28 million (domestic); $56 million (worldwide total)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - This film is incredibly fun and gave me everything I wanted from a Ninja Turtles movie, but the original was so bad no one bothered with this one. I'll keep it as a secret success for those of us in the know.
Production Budget: $135 million
Box Office: $82 million (domestic); $245 million (worldwide total)

Blair Witch - A secret sequel that forgot to be good. Time to stand in the corner, Blair Witch!
Production Budget: $5 million
Box Office: $21 million (domestic); $45 million (worldwide total)

Bad Santa 2 - Another film I enjoyed the original of but have changed enough that I'm not willing to go see it in the theaters, this is another sequel that was way to late and came out with little fanfare.
Production Budget: $26 million
Box Office: $17 million (domestic); N/A million (worldwide total)

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising - Another sequel that wasn't needed, Neighbors 2 turned out to be a surprisingly interesting film with lots of things to say about feminism. It largely said it to empty seats.
Production Budget: $35 million
Box Office: $55 million (domestic); $107 million (worldwide total)

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - Despite being 20 years to late and actually making money, this is a colossal failure in the eyes of many because the wasted opportunities Nia Vardalos got from the last film didn't materialize with this one.
Production Budget: $18 million
Box Office: $59 million (domestic); $89 million (worldwide total)

God's Not Dead 2 - God returned from the dead to be Not Dead again, and don't worry, he died again so he can be Not Dead for a whole trilogy!
Box Office: $21 million (domestic); N/A million (worldwide total)

The Huntsman: Winter's War - The Snow White-less prequel to an okay-ish LOTR ripoff that lost its star and director because they were caught having an affair, the prequel has a neat cast and decided to borrow heavily from Frozen, but the audiences were frozen in apathy
Production Budget: $115 million
Box Office: $48 million (domestic); $164 million (worldwide total)

Alice Through the Looking Glass - The original made a billion dollars. The sequel.....did not! Next time wait to ride off the back of an Avatar film like the original!
Production Budget: $170 million
Box Office: $77 million (domestic); $299 million (worldwide total)

Independence Day: Resurgence - A sequel way too late and missing the biggest star, but people go to see Brent Spiner on the big screen once again!
Production Budget: $165 million
Box Office: $103 million (domestic); $389 million (worldwide total)

Bridget Jones's Baby - Is a British lady's baby adventures really far more exciting for foreign audiences than most of the other films on this list? Yes!
Production Budget: $35 million
Box Office: $24 million (domestic); $212 million (worldwide total)

Ouija: Origin of Evil - Cheap horror for teens, yet it made 9 times back its budget, so Ouija 2 isn't a loser, it is a winner.
Production Budget: $9 million
Box Office: $35 million (domestic); $81 million (worldwide total)

London Has Fallen - One of the dueling White House movies earned a sequel. Like "Olympus" was the code name for the White House, "London" is the code name for London.
Production Budget: $60 million
Box Office: $66 million (domestic); $205 million (worldwide total)

Boring junk that deserved better -

The BFG - Obviously Speilberg was just lowering his box office expectations so when Ready Player One tanks it won't look so bad.
Production Budget: $140 million
Box Office: $55 million (domestic); $178 million (worldwide total)

Allied - Spy film that got more press from Pitt's divorce than anything about the actual film.
Production Budget: $85 million
Box Office: $39 million (domestic); $80 million (worldwide total)

Deepwater Horizon - A cooler film would be about how BP PR managed to cover up a bunch of the oil spill's bad effects, but then there couldn't be cool explosions.
Production Budget: $110 million
Box Office: $61 million (domestic); $119 million (worldwide total) - currently still in theaters

Assassin's Creed - One of those films that essays will be written about for decades about what went wrong.
Production Budget: $125 million
Box Office: $34 million (domestic); $48 million (worldwide total) - currently still in theaters

Passengers - A strange rom-com with rapey vibes and third act problems that should have probably stayed on the black list. Or at least done the serial killer thing from the similar script someone else wrote!
Box Office: $50 million (domestic); N/A million (worldwide total) - currently still in theaters

Keeping Up with the Joneses - I had forgotten all about this one (again!) and will forget again (again!) as soon as I type the period at the end of this sentence.
Production Budget: $40 million
Box Office: $15 million (domestic); $29 million (worldwide total)

The 5th Wave - Teens vs Aliens as the latest YA Dystopian franchise got dumped in January to a tepid box office.
Production Budget: $38 million
Box Office: $35 million (domestic); $110 million (worldwide total)

Fifty Shades of Black - Eh, it still went in the black, so yay?
Box Office: $12 million (domestic); $22 million (worldwide total)

The Finest Hours - Captain Kirk 2.0 leads a thrilling Coast Guard rescue. Probably a great film to watch on TBS some lazy afternoon, but not to pay $15 at the theater for
Production Budget: $80 million
Box Office: $28 million (domestic); $52 million (worldwide total)

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - This took forever to actually get made, years after the fad of public domain books with "humorous" mashups has thankfully left bookstores. maybe they should have delayed it longer. Like forever.
Production Budget: $28 million
Box Office: $11 million (domestic); $16 million (worldwide total)

The Angry Birds Movie - These birds need anger management class!
Production Budget: $73 million
Box Office: $107 million (domestic); $350 million (worldwide total)

Insane failures -

Gods of Egypt - Nothing can explain this movie except it was a gift to weird movie lovers and people who enjoy studios losing money on weird stuff. Enjoy!
Production Budget: $140 million
Box Office: $31 million (domestic); $150 million (worldwide total)

Ben-Hur - The Lord giveth with the Jesus movie, and the Lord taketh away with Ben-Hur losing all that sweet sweet cash. Obviously they should have prayed harder.
Production Budget: $100 million
Box Office: $26 million (domestic); $94 million (worldwide total)

The Divergent Series: Allegiant - Wasn't sure which category to put this in, but a film that failed so bad they tried to make the sequel a made-for-tv movie seems more insane than unnecessary. Hopefully the final nail in the coffin of splitting up the final books of franchises, but we know it won't be.
Box Office: $66 million (domestic); $179 million (worldwide total)

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - Another cool TBS afternoon movie somehow so technologically advanced a lot of theaters couldn't even play it properly.
Production Budget: $40 million
Box Office: $1.7 million (domestic); $31 million (worldwide total)

Ghostbusters - probably the movie from this list that will live the longest, but it cost waaaaaaaaaay to much, and that's not even counting the dumbest manbaby controversy of all time about the cast
Production Budget: $144 million
Box Office: $128 million (domestic); $229 million (worldwide total)

Warcraft - This looked wierd despite having a cool director, but China loved it like crazy so it might still somehow get a sequel. Maybe. Probably not.
Production Budget: $160 million
Box Office: $47 million (domestic); $434 million (worldwide total)

Collateral Beauty - a movie so weird even the spoilers were hard to believe, and it's currently making me mad there isn't a cheap theater anywhere nearby to see this before it hits video
Production Budget: $36 million
Box Office: $23 million (domestic); $43 million (worldwide total)

The big lesson from the above films was that most of them cost to drat much! Will 2017 learn that valuble lesson? Probably not. Be on the lookout for:

Jumanji - Not having any creatives attached finally managed to push this back to 2017, but it has The Rock, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, and Karen Gillan, so could be good?

Underworld: Blood Wars - This got delayed and then released everywhere except the US, so that's a good sign. If you are a bug looking for a rotting corpse!

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - Maybe he should just stick to car movies.

Rings - Delayed like crazy, this weird prequel is supposedly finally coming out, meanwhile Japan gets cooler-sounding Ring vs Grudge movies (that are secretly boring and bad!)

Monster Trucks - I'm going to predict this movie will be what 20-teens get nostolgic for in 2030, but it will do awful at the box office.

Fifty Shades Darker - Turns out you can force people to do what they were contractually obligated to do! Who knew?

The Great Wall (US release) - China doesn't care about the Asian-American representation controversy, but most Chinese cinema recently is boring as crap and this doesn't sound like it broke that mold.

Boss Baby - A baby yells like your jerk boss. $15 please!

Ghost in the Shell - More Asian problems with none of the exploitative nudity.

The Case for Christ - I'm confused, wasn't God dead? Now he's going on trial?

Smurfs: The Lost Village - this looks actually not-terrible even though it is obvious the lost village is full of women Smurfs

Untitled Blumhouse Horror Project II - I love that we live in a world where there are multiple untitled horror films already scheduled for release

The Nut Job 2 - Thank goodness, I have so many fond Nut Job memories I can't wait to relive with this franchise...

World War Z 2 - I don't think they've even given a straight answer on how this is going to work yet, but enjoy it when it comes out!

Transformers: The Last Knight - This will be insane in either the best or worst way, and hopefully both at the same time!

The Emoji Movie
- A movie that people are already planning to review by just using the Poop Emoji.

Blazing Samurai
- "The story revolves around a scrappy young dog Hank (Michael Cera) who dreams of becoming a samurai and fights to save the town called "Kakamucho" from becoming a litter box of a nefarious feline warlord Ika Chu (Ricky Gervais) who unveils his grand plan to get rid of the inhabitants."

Friday the 13th - Not sure if this will actually happen, but it's on the release list now so I can just copy/paste this each year until it finally comes out!

A Bad Moms Christmas - The Bad Moms franchise has two entries in 2017 (including the ill-thought out Bad Dads)

Justice League - I will enjoy watching the Frankenstein corpse of Justice League and trying to figure out which 15 movies and 48 executives were combined together to make this monster.

Prior threads:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Don't talk bad about my girlfriend, movies!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Young Freud posted:

There's a World War Z sequel coming out?
It has a release date, at least. Besides that, who knows? Would not be surprised if it is pushed back.

quote:

And where's Wonder Woman on that list? Release date is June 2017.
Holding out hope that one will not terrible as she was one of the few good things in BvS.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Okja a kaiju film of some sort by Bong Joon-Ho (Memories of Murder, Snowpiercer, The Host) .

I'm excited for this one but also confused if it will be on NetFlix or theaters

504 posted:

OP does not contain new Alien movie or Blade Runner 2..

1/10 would not reccomend

I forgot Blade Runner 2 was happening in my never-ending quest to live in my own reality where that doesn't happen (and stopped looking ahead after August except for stuff I could think of off the top of my head, as some of that stuff tends to get pushed back) New Alien just looks like he's just redoing old Alien to shut up the haters + a bit of weird Prometheus stuff he wants to do instead thrown in. Also her hair is dumb. I'll still watch it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

There is no way BvS wasn't in the black before it started rolling, but it was a failure despite making $873 million because it should have made double that. It had the two most recognizable super heroes worldwide in the same title for the first time ever and was a flagship movie intended to launch a franchise of multiple films a year, instead it had so much bad word of mouth that probably cost them hundreds of millions, caused desperate reshoots on Suicide Squad that turned it into some sort of Frankenstein film, and reverberated down the chain (Suicide Squad had its own, unrelated problems as well!) I don't know how much it affected Wonder Woman, but you can see the tone shift in the Justice League trailer that tries to make it more light-hearted. I'm guessing both of those films will still be a mess, but for different reasons, and it will take another year plus before someone rights their ship and two more years before we see the results in theaters. I also think Flash will be a breakout role in Justice League but his solo movie is being bungled like crazy right now so they won't be able to capitalize on it properly and he'll pop up in some random film like Shazaam.

BvS finished 6th for the year, and that's only because the year ended before Rogue One pulled ahead of it. More money doesn't mean it's a better movie, but the failure is entirely failing to live up to its potential because the film and franchise are fundamentally flawed, something the studio recognized only after the film was released and poisoned the well for future entries. Suicide Squad achieved success in spite of BvS's failure, and from what I saw the better parts appeared to be parts reshot to make the film less dark.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

An unnecessary sequel I'm glad they made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTbSudJ96o

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Yes!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I hope that universe is extreme enough that Poochie is in it

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Here's a way to make a Chinese co-production that isn't just pandering and includes worldwide cast members for maximum box office potential

quote:

[Keanu] Reeves will be the star of Company’s next effort, the Cannonball Run-in-China road movie Rally Car, which Hamel said will shoot this summer from Jeremy Lott’s script. Olivier Megaton is now set to direct. The film, which like Passengers percolated for years, now has backing from China-based Fundamental Films, and they are in the final throes of securing U.S. distribution, with Lionsgate is in pole position. Hamel produces with Mark Gao.

“The film goes from Shanghai to the Gobi Desert to the Himalayas, featuring China’s most compelling landscapes and most beautiful places to shoot,” Hamel said. “Keanu plays the star driver, matched with a 19-year-old Chinese girl, who’s his co-pilot. There are Mexican, Chinese, German, Italian and Australian teams and we were in the process of assembling that cast.”

also other films in early preproduction get blurbs, but not enough to tell anything about yet:

quote:

Tim Webber, the Oscar-winning VFX wiz behind Gravity, is set to direct Unmanned, a sci-fi film Hamel said will soon secure commitments from a major Chinese studio, U.S. distributor, director and star. It will shoot on Wanda’s sound stages, and on locations in Hong Kong and Mainland China. The film had been fodder for a New Yorker article on STX last year that implied the distributor was moving toward a deal; Hamel said that while that company is a contender, so are several other distributors vying for a film Hamel said will shoot in the fall. It’s a mission movie revolving around human soldiers teamed with the robotic drones that will soon render the human soldiers obsolete.

Hamel said Company is also in business with Lost In Thailand writer Shu Huan on an untitled Chinese-language science fiction film; Company is partnered with Vice Films on Parischina, a drama about a young Chinese girl and an American man who don’t speak the same language and get stuck together in the middle of nowhere, in China; and there is also the Chinese-language Looking For Aladdin, an adventure quest to find the lost lamp of Aladdin, set with FangJin Media.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/passengers-producer-stephen-hamel-china-rally-car-unmanned-1201876420/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Those presentations always ignore that the studios make sponsorship deals before they even start filming on huge films, which is thought to be the reason why the mid-sized movies have disappeared as they can't put them in the black before filming begins. (Tiny films also hit black before filming do to presales on overseas markets/cable networks, there used to be Blockbuster Video as part of this equation but RIP Blockbuster) Different budget ranges have all sorts of different requirements and nooks and crannies, and studios have a vested interest on making their films seem like they are losing as much as possible for tax purposes. The 3x budget to make a profit seems like straight garbage because the films will never make a profit on the books, but is probably a good enough guide for whether a film gets a sequel greenlighted. And never make movies with your own money, that's what investors are for!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Simplex posted:

That Order of Phoenix budget sheet lays it out pretty clearly. It looks like the studio took about 2/3 of the box office in that case, then the distribution company took 35% of the defined gross as a distribution fee, meaning the studio only got back about 43% of ticket sales. They borrowed $316 million from someone and owed $58 million in interest. That's a movie that made almost $1 billion at the box office and the studio made a profit of about $25 million excluding advertising expenses.

Electromax posted:

The trick is to just pay yourself to be distributor and promoter via cross-industry synergy.

In the example mentioned, that's what Warner's did, so most of that $211 million fee went right back into their pockets. The $57 million in interest may be tax-deductible depending on just how it was set up, and the loan for $315 million (at what looks like 18% interest?) was probably from a dummy corp set up by Warners (Or maybe even Time as this was pre-split) so they could borrow from themselves/co-financers and write it off. The Merchandising tag is disturbingly low, probably because they are lumping only specifically "Order of the Phoenix" stuff there while general Harry Potter film merchandise goes under a separate balance sheet, and redistribute as needed for tax fun. Marketing is fun because Warners owns half of the CW, so it essentially pays itself 50% for advertising there, plus 100% for all the advertising on Turner stations and HBO (I don't recall if Harry Potter was on HBO or not, but there were probably "first look" specials and synergy), all with small fees for the middlemen and then sliced and diced between corporations so everyone can write off everything possible. And some of those stations then pay them for the rights to air Harry Potter, wherein WB will then pay them so they can run commercials for the next Harry Potter during that broadcast. This is just WB moving the money around for a small fee and biggest writeoff, which isn't a loss at all for the company as a whole, just on this balance sheet's piece of the puzzle. And that's just the stuff that's obvious, there is nothing on the sheet about location tax breaks, real world brands paying for a few fleeting seconds of visibility before Harry goes back to the wizard world, what the other corporate bodies are filing about this film, or other stuff. That, my friends, is real magic.

(the sheet being referred too can be seen here - http://deadline.com/2010/07/studio-shame-even-harry-potter-pic-loses-money-because-of-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting-51886/ )

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Monster Trucks did something right:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Lifetime is making a movie about the Flint water crisis starring Cher. And, no, they haven't fixed the water yet. I'm sure they'll get right on it.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/cher-lifetime-flint-water-crisis-movie-1201953775/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Monster Trucks' only competition is family stuff left over from last year - Star Wars and Sing. Also itself, since it sat on a shelf for over a year and the monster was completely redesigned (IIRC someone in the last thread was involved in one of the old versions of the film), part of why the cost is so high.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Opening night for Freddy vs. Jason the theater was 75% kids cheering the whole time, I'm guessing the numbers were similar back when the sheets were made.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

uhhhh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6Q8aoBDxY

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Wrasslin' time, this time it's Future Wrasslin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UZUB8gCFEM

quote:

Check out the trailer for The Jetsons & WWE: Robo-Wrestlemania! as WWE Superstars Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Alicia Fox and Sheamus team up with George, Elroy and the rest of the Jetsons gang in order to save Orbit City from the wrestle-bot army.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Blackface is back in black(face?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7214gXqB0

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Not only just all of them, they're even doing a live-action version of a fairy tale they haven't animated yet, Red Rose, about Snow White's sister.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

CHiPs trailer with lots of bulges touching each other and bulges touching other things. Also motorcycles, but the plot seems to be all about bulges judging by how much they feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKlbX-t9GLg

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I hope that spoiler is true.

Also iBoy trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbEWtpSmJXg

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A-Team was great until they drove the tank out of the lake, after that it becomes generic and boring.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

WB wants to do Attack on Titan

quote:

Warner Bros. is negotiating to get the feature rights for the Japanese manga IP Attack on Titan, which was written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama and has been churned out for both TV and films in Japan. The project is for its Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them producer David Heyman.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/attack-on-titan-u-s-movie-warner-bros-producer-david-heyman-1201888133/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Don't worry, white men still can't jump, but expect some Trump supporters to get angry anyway...

quote:

“Black-ish” creator Kenya Barris will develop a movie remake of the 1990s sports comedy “White Men Can’t Jump,” which will be produced by Los Angeles Clippers star Blake Griffin and Carolina Panthers All-Pro lineman Ryan Kalil.

http://www.thewrap.com/black-ish-creator-blake-griffin-remake-white-men-cant-jump/

Also I hope this influences a whole series of random films bankrolled by athletic stars, because they will be terrible more often than not and you know some of them will be ridiculous vanity projects.

The MSJ posted:

I hope they remember that Mikasa is Asian.

I'm awaiting the most awful hot takes about whitewashing in that film written by people who didn't even bother to do a basic google search.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Walking Dead, also you could argue Game of Thrones is essentially the same thing.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Kodansha is walking back the WB Attack on Titan story, but doing it in a way that sounds like nothing is signed yet and either there is another party or they want WB to think there is.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-18/kodansha-rep-report-of-warner-bros-attack-on-titan-films-is-incorrect/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Tars Tarkas posted:

Smurfs: The Lost Village - this looks actually not-terrible even though it is obvious the lost village is full of women Smurfs

and since marketing doesn't care about spoiling that film any more

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Brainy was tossed in jail but was convinced he was an important martyr to the cause even though everyone else didn't care

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I just looked it up and when they did the story in the cartoon, Brainy Smurf was King Smurf, but in the comics it is just a random smurf with no name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3mPGpLg68

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A Dog's Purpose looked like a series of dogs dying saving their owners so there was no way I was going to watch that even without animal abuse.

but....

WHO WANTS A LISA FRANK MOVIE?!??!?!?!

quote:

A hybrid live-action/animated film is in the works based on Lisa Frank, the iconic stylist behind kids’ rainbow stickers, backpacks and those brightly colored Trapper Keepers with unicorns and teddy bears you used in school. Indie producer Jon Shestack (Before I Fall) is attached to develop and produce the film, with UTA Independent Film Group repping rights

http://deadline.com/2017/01/lisa-frank-animated-movie-live-action-1201888952/

It's also important you read this huge expose about Lisa Frank that Jezebel did years ago - http://jezebel.com/inside-the-rainbow-gulag-the-technicolor-rise-and-fall-1179495705

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Shazam movie is now getting a Rock-focused spinoff for Black Adam (called Black Adam)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Birth of a Nation got extra juice because the guy then threw out all the emergency PR training they tried to give him and let his ego take control, which just made the controversy worse. It was crazy hyped when it first showed up and suddenly everyone backed off. I'm guessing it knocked a third off the box office total, maybe more, i know it lost my ticket and I was excited for that one.

Someone who is bored could probably write a good article comparing initial reactions to later reactions, some of the reviews I read seemed like they were looking too hard for technical flaws to justify their dislike outside of the controversy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

ruddiger posted:

I want a modern remake of Inframan. Hell, make it a sequel since the original is supposed to take place in the far off future year of 2015.

Inframan all day every day

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Terminators are back again for the whateverth time this is.

quote:

James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinema’s great science fiction tales.

David Ellison, whose Skydance co-financed Terminator Genisys, is bankrolling an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively. Ellison still holds many Terminator rights, after his 2013 acquisition from sister and Annapurna principal Megan Ellison. She bought them in 2011 at Cannes for $20 million.

So, yay Cameron being back even though he'll be busy doing Avatar stuff and is mostly there to make sure Tim Miller doesn't go all Genisys on us.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Will Neko Atsume break the video game movie curse? Maybe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5R0M-NKISA

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Suicide Squad had a guy whose gimmick was throwing things, then in the big finale someone else was the guy who threw the important thing that needed to be thrown. That's the movie in a nutshell, all the entertaining bits were in spite of everything else and it was still miles ahead of the rest of the murderverse.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Rogues are cool because they team up and have a code/standards, they even reject other villains lording over them like when the crime syndicate took over the planet. They are more memorable than the usual non-Batman villains, I don't even care about Flash in the comics but when they show up they can be better done than a lot of heroes comics. They are certainly more creative than "evil flash"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Which famous ape movie gets remade next? If you had Every Which Way But Loose, be sure to mark your bingo square!

quote:

It was the 1978 Clint Eastwood comedy that everyone loved to hate and hated to love, but it ended up making $95M and spawned a sequel. Now Every Which Way but Loose is being remade, and James Fargo, who directed the first film, and is now producing. He just tapped Anthony Cohen to direct.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/every-which-way-but-loose-remake-anthony-cohen-director-1201892331/

Yes!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Dubya in Transformers was on Air Force One and liked ding dongs.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Affleck is out as director of The Batman, which has been having production troubles for a while and what looked like Affleck being less and less enthused about being Batman. Matt Reeves is one of the rumored replacements, but who knows at this point

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/

Antoine Fuqua is out as director of the Scarface remake, while Diego Luna is attached to star

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/scarface-reboot-antoine-fuqua-exits-1201973278/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Casimir Radon posted:

Is the DC franchise going to fail this early?

At this point I have to wonder just how much weird stuff the Warner execs are putting everyone through to have so many people drop off so quickly.

• Locked thread