Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Fifty Shades Darker trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnLqJLeTMVU

I'm the horror movie edit ex girlfriend

Debuting this with a new Taylor Swift song is...a choice

"Have dinner with me."
"Okay, I will have dinner with you...because I am hungry."

That scintillating trailer dialogue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

LesterGroans posted:

I will say, I'm not at all surprised Cruise and Wallis have no chemistry in The Mummy. In the trailers alone it looked like there was nothing there.

Both characters were completely under-written in the first place. Their relationship is almost entirely a vague insistence that maybe he's a good guy after all and maybe she sees that in him, but they never establish him as a particularly bad guy in the first place -- or give anyone watching a reason to care that he might have cared about her before he one-night-stand'd her, or establish...anything, really, to make him becoming the vessel for an evil god have any shred of suspense. It plays out like the movie's missing at least 1-2 important character-building scenes with their introduction to each other that should have actually started the movie instead of whatever convoluted Russell Crowe/Egyptian backstory nonsense they used. It's like they wanted to replicate Rick and Evie from the 1999 Mummy but didn't bother with anything that might have made the Fraser/Weisz pair work for a lot of people.

He also yells "JENNY!" enough in the movie to almost make me believe someone handed him the Forrest Gump script by mistake.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I saw The Mummy this weekend and I didn't hate it? The narrative device was loving terrible but it felt like there was a good movie buried in there.

the amount of exposition and flashbacks were horrible and them leaning so hard on the shared universe thing with Jekyll felt like a mistake. Like I thought they were going to hint at Hyde but nah he's almost going crazy on their first meeting. There was some fun horror stuff in the movie and I enjoyed some of the set pieces. Even cursed dead buddy showing up as a friendly jerk ghost felt like a fun idea. But god drat what a mess of a movie this turned out to be.

The ending would have been good but bringing the buddy back to life and having him explicitly thank you for bringing him back to life was just... eh. Completely unearned and with no emotional weight. My guess (if they do more of these) is that they'll have Tom Cruise as a Mummy/VanHelsing hybrid character who'll need to awaken the Mummy again to learn about his powers.

Yeah, they badly needed to excise most of that shared universe setup. Especially having Hyde show up to fight Nick for one scene just felt pointless. Introduce Jekyll in the movie, sure (but take out all that loving voice-over exposition and replace it with scenes that actually build up the characters in the movie), but turning into Hyde now adds nothing to this movie's plot or characters. Maybe leave that for a post-credits stinger or something if you really want to be coy with it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's really desperate about the Dark Universe is that it relies on A-Listers who are in their fifties instead of promoting any new or upcoming talent like Marvel. Sort of like how Beauty and the Beast'17 cast Emma Watson in the lead role because of star power, instead of getting an actress who could loving sing and act. (Not that she's middle aged, just that she's already famous)

I wouldn't so much say that THAT'S what's really desperate about the concept, though they are definitely banking almost entirely on Tom Cruise selling this movie/that cinematic universe kick-off. The same can't really be said of Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man; he's certainly rolled out his share of poo poo movies and isn't necessarily a guaranteed box office draw unless it's a Pirates movie.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Leavemywife posted:

I barely realized there was a romance until the end. I'm still not fully convinced there really is one.

They tried their hardest (or "not at all") but the romance more or less amounted to, "Tom Cruise is not actually a bad guy and maybe he cares about a girl!"

• Locked thread