Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

TBF the manga did have a hardcore sex scene plopped in the middle for no reason

There was a translated interview I saw a while back (and boy I wish I could find it again) where someone asked the creator why there was a full color lesbian sex scene in the middle of the book. He seemed to misunderstand the intent of the question, and provided a very detailed answer about how cyborg sex works and long story short, all cyborgs are only able to have gay sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I had a middle school history teacher who for some reason decided to show the class Top Secret!, apparently unaware of what that movie was. He turned it off during the Anal Intruder scene.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Femur posted:

I am not questioning if it's a real distinct thing found by medical science, I am saying, in the old days, it comes and goes, iirc, pretty quickly, why wouldn't people pass it off as a dream?

You are clearly and distinctly 100% awake and conscious during sleep paralysis, you're just unable to exert any control over your body. That is why people don't pass it off as a dream. You can try and go back to sleep during sleep paralysis, and you can go back to sleep after sleep paralysis, but you can also just get up and go about your day like normal after sleep paralysis. It is not a similar experience to a dream.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That anime adaptation was really disappointing but also never stood a chance of being good. The comic had enough material for maybe 12 episodes but they went and made 25 off of what they had. It turned a fairly fast paced comic in which characters realize things at the same time as the audience into a boring, stretched out mess where everyone needed things constantly explained to them so they could fill time. If they'd waited a few years (the comic only comes out once a month) it'd have had a much better chance of being good.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I don't think you'd find a 1:1 manga to anime adaptation either, at least not of an ongoing series.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I noticed Kubo and the Two Strings was nominated for best visual effects. Has an entirely animated movie ever been nominated for that before?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wait, how did a movie about zombies even get released in China?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

IUG posted:

I really don't understand this argument people have against the army in films. If they're being asked to be in a film, then they of course would only want to represent themselves positively. Not a lot of people would appear in the film if it made them look like a fascist or racist. So if you want those million dollar tanks or planes to show up in a film, then you're going to want to be represented well in the final product. Otherwise, good luck to your props and vfx department.

Said as a doughy white boy who has never served.

Does anyone have that article about this? I remember aside from the refusal to give assistance, there was also stuff like refusing to allow certain movies to be played for the benefit of military service members because the content angered the brass. Like the word-for-word quotes from high ranking military officials in Thirteen Days or some Clint Eastwood movie where an American soldier shoots someone who has surrendered.

My favorite story was about how in the the 50s or so they got really upset about a film that was "black fighter pilot and jewish fighter pilot overcome racism to become heroes in WW2" and they watered it down to "a black fighter pilot and a jewish fighter pilot fly some sorties with the full support of their white colleagues"

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's gonna take a series of lawsuits for any new Macross stuff to be released here. An entire live action movie isn't happening.

e: I also can't figure what a successful blockbuster Macross movie would even look like. Do You Remember Love went at a breakneck speed at times but still felt like it was leaving things out.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 18, 2017

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

edit: I'd actually be interested in generating a copy of Ready Player One that has all the references replaced with other fictional properties. Like instead of Raiders of the Lost Ark, he talks about knowing everything from Defenders of the Mystical Tomb while listening to Dango Dang's seminal 1985 album "Put it on the Roof." There's no way that anyone, even the most vociferous defenders of "no it's actually just a really cool story, maaan, the references are just icing" could make it through

https://twitter.com/IDEOTVPod/status/889527672220434432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm glad that there appears to be more robot fights. I'm disappointed that they move like Iron Man suits instead of big lumbering machines.

• Locked thread