Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hostile V posted:

The one bad movie I'm sincerely looking forward in 2017 is Resident Evil 6 because they're enjoyable bad movies and it's also the end to that goofy loving series.

Weren't the fourth and fifth ones also "I swear this is the last one" situations?

Don't believe his lies.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was more prominent with the toys but Kylo toys were significantly overproduced and sold worse than Rey/Finn/Poe while Rey, the only woman, was the best selling character even though her toys were significantly underproduced in comparison to the other characters.

Finally, a chance to put my unhealthy LEGO addiction to use!

Kylo Ren actually had one of the best sets for that film - his big rear end black shuttle, which fits neatly in between the recently re-issued Classic Imperial shuttle (from the Battle of Endor) and the Rogue One Badguy's Shuttle (which is ludicrously wingy and cool).

Poe, however, had the black X-Wing which sold out constantly for months and months.

Rey had a $10 speeder bike toy. Though there was a Rey minifig in with the New Millennium Falcon, which was easily the set that was most bought and wanted.

precision fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think I could engage with anyone who doesn't realize that Kylo Ren was intentionally an emo doofus. The fact that he was played by loving Adam "Lena Dunham's insanely manchild boyfriend on Girls" Driver should have been hints number 1 through 10.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Byzantine posted:

I unironically loved Gods of Egypt. It's on my shelf next to Apollo 18 in my "movies apparently made just for me because nobody else liked them" section

I like both those movies. :colbert:

A lot of people around here like Gods of Egypt and Apollo 18, actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Blade Runner will be fine because they got a good director and it's not like Star Wars where they're going to try for some broad easily digestible film. I'm sure they want it to make billions of dollars but I think they know it can do that while also being a smart and cool sci-fi film, much like Minority Report (also based on PKD) was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, but what the Hell is it even going to be about?

Blade Runners

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I just don't think it's going to do anything other than cement Deckard as a replicant, a theory I loathe.

If the movie has any nuts at all, this will still be something that has no definitive answer. The entire point is that there's a possibility that it might not matter if someone is a Replicant or not and the existential horror that arises from that. It shouldn't upset us that consciousness could arise in a silicon "machine" as opposed to "natural life" which is, after all, just very efficient machinery, but man, it still does.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MacheteZombie posted:

I haven't watched it, but I haven't heard anything good. I loved Marble Hornets and own the Blu Ray of the series so I should at least give it a watch I guess.

I liked MH at the time, though I kinda hate season 3. But yeah the movie is really fuckin' boring and lame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MariusLecter posted:

Marble Hornets should have gone the Pontypool route for its finale.

To be fair, there were very few good ways to wrap up the story by the time season 3 had even started. The way season 1 ended was perfect as a series ending though I absolutely loved the hotel stuff in S2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SciFiDownBeat posted:

There was a horror movie I saw as a kid that messed me up for weeks but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

It involved some people getting picked off on a large boat or cruise liner one by one by an unseen monster. And one of the women turns into the monster, at the end of the movie we see her awful CGI form tear a guy in half. And at the beginning of the movie the main guy has an incomprehensible vision about how everyone's going to die?

Might have messed up some details

Not for nothing, but that sounds identical to a student film I made and won an award for in the mid-90s :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My mother bought me Alien Trading Cards as a kid. I was terrified of the facehuggers before I even saw the movie!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Movie 43 got a sequel?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I saw Howard the Duck as a double feature with the Transformers movie. gently caress those Cthulhu monsters at the end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched Ocean's Twelve last night, as part of my quest to actually watch every Soderbergh movie, and holy poo poo, who greenlighted that? It was incredibly fun, but from a Hollywood standpoint it's absolute arthouse wank nonsense with really amazing visuals and the best score I've ever heard.

Today I found out that Soderbergh himself considers it "the highest budget stoner film" and that they're doing an all-female Ocean's Eight

They named the fourth Ocean's film Ocean's 8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

syscall girl posted:

Also could you stop seeming to disagree with yourself?

I'm not at all clear on what you mean.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

No, it predated the strike by three or four years. What happened was that Warner Bros. was keen to make a sequel, and Soderbergh and the cast were up for it -- but they were having a terrible time cracking a story. Jerry Weintraub came across a script that Warners had bought from George Nolfi (who would later go on to make The Adjustment Bureau) called Honor Among Thieves. It was actually a really solid script, about an American thief and a European thief who keep trying to one-up each other to prove who can pull off the biggest heist. Anyway, they took the script and told Nolfi to plug all the Ocean's characters into it, which is why it's such a bloated, over-stuffed mess.

I said it elsewhere: It's the Infinite Jest of bad movies. I kind of love it and want to watch it again tonight.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I mean, Jesus Christ. First off, why the hell are they charging a teacher for showing an R-Rated movie?

My 9th grade English teacher was almost put in jail for showing us The Name of the Rose.

quote:

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- An English teacher who showed a movie containing a nude scene to a class of high school honor students will be recommended for suspension, and pupils are protesting the treatment of their instructor.

Brevard County's superintendent of schools will recommend that Palm Bay High School teacher Richard Flowers be suspended without pay for 12 days for showing 'The Name of the Rose,' Jerry Copeland, assistant superintendent of personnel, said Friday.

The teacher in the city on Florida's east coast was earlier placed on paid leave during an inquiry that led to Friday's recommendation for suspension. Nearly 50 students signed a petition protesting the school district probe.

Students wore T-shirts bearing the slogan 'Flower Power' and carried flowers in their hands during protests this week. According to several students, they were threatened with suspension if they didn't get rid of the flowers and T-shirts.

Flowers showed 'The Name of the Rose' to about 80 seniors in four honors classes last month. The medieval murder mystery contains a 30-second love scene in which a woman is shown nude from the waist up. A parent's complaint sparked an inquiry.

precision fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 10, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

syscall girl posted:

I remember Courtney Love being good in that.

Legit, no insult

I mean, she was essentially playing herself, so yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Where's my remake of Kolchak the Night Stalker

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FreudianSlippers posted:

No that specific trailer for CHIPS and Spiderman and a few others have seen have the first 10 or so seconds of the video be clip from the trailer. Then there is a studio logo then the trailer actually starts.

Movie trailers have been doing that exact thing for a long time, you just now noticed?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just in case someone hasn't seen this:

Please, I can only get so erect.

You left out the best part!

quote:

In 2010, the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - America: 1988" was announced as an April Fools' Day joke, complete with mocked-up cover.[9][10] This 1988 league was the supposed successor to another league disbanded in 1979 by Oscar Goldman. The 1988 League was created after the murder of Mr. Miyagi to prevent a resurrected Tony Montana and his occult gang, the Lost Boys, from killing all those between him and domination of America

Goddamn it, why was this not real?

precision fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 12, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What was the last great Spike Lee movie? Chi-raq was beautiful, bombastic nonsense but I'd hesitate to call it great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

they made real games but i don't think they sold well so they sold their soul to the devil and made an awful button simulator. probably rich as kings now.

The train one is pretty cute.

But yeah their "real game" Nimble Quest was not only a real game but was also really, really good.

It sold like hot dogshit. Mobile gaming is the armpit of the gaming world (with very rare exceptions like Square-Enix's "GO" series - Lara Croft GO, Hitman GO, and Deus Ex GO - that are genuinely really well done and aren't limited by touchscreen controls).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fried chicken flavored popcorn sounds delicious, someone make it happen

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Suicide Squad was much better than it had any right to be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't say Captain Boomerang's gimmick was throwing things, that's just his name. I know nothing of the comics but in the film I got the impression his sole gimmick was "robs banks, is Australian".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm amazed Ryan Murphy didn't jump on the Harding Incident for ACS. Or the Bobbit Incident.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

new kind of cat posted:

Suicide Squad was worth it for the hilarious entry and exit of Slipknot -- "the man who can climb anything!"

You just know the only reason he's in there is because of the band. HELL YEAH BRO SLIPKNOT

As for the Razzies, they've been trending towards "less fun" and "more purely mean-spirited and dogpiling" for... a long long time, many years, now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why did Kubo flop so hard anyway? We watched it the other night and it's absolutely fantastic, it seems like something that should have been a massive hit :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Something like 90% of people vote the opposite of what their parents did though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll admit it wasn't a good joke, but was it that hard to identify as a joke?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

The Transformers movies don't have any good guys.

Bumblebee-as-Christ-analogue?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Uh this sucks

Cardboard Box A linking an unfunny YouTube video with no context? The devil you say!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now that some time has passed, are we still calling Suicide Squad a failure for angering comic book nerds and critics or still calling it a sleeper that connected with demos they weren't even aiming at?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And yet it was still so much better than BvS. But I'm not a comic book fan, or at least, I was in the 80s and so I do still have set in my mind an idea of comic books and how they should work, but it's a really old idea.

Maybe I liked Suicide Squad because it's basically an issue of New Mutants.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

There's been weirdly dressed teenager cliques handing out at the mall and smoking since the 1950s

Now they vape and it's somehow even worse than the 90s when, briefly, hackeysack was a thing that existed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
First Class is the best X-Men movie. I want more of that. Not... whatever the poo poo Logan is trying to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Every X-Men movie ever is a real bad movie that is covered by 1-3 good performances.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

There's gotta be a worse movie that won best picture, but gently caress if I can name it.

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol really dude.

Which part is unbelievable, that anyone wouldn't like those films or that anyone would see value in Crash? CD is just about the only place I've seen where "Crash is an actual piece of dogshit" is taken as gospel rather than just another opinion. And I very much think it's arguable that the movies I listed are at least "as dogshit as Crash", for various reasons.

e: holy poo poo though, Crash kept Brokeback Mountain from winning? That's really awful. Didn't know that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Crash had a fairly bad script but the execution of the film was pretty good. Which is a statement that I would apply to the other films I singled out as well. Forrest Gump in particular is god drat awful on paper.

And in what crazy universe is The English Patient even noteworthy at all?

precision fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Casimir Radon posted:

Is Brokeback Mountain at all effective for someone who doesn't get upset about the idea of gay cowboys?

Well, it's not about gay cowboys - one is clearly bisexual and the other is so stunted he's effectively asexual - but yes it's a beautiful and extremely entertaining film on all fronts. It's one of my top 5 of all time.

• Locked thread