Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

First movie I watched in 2017 was Jesus' Son, and Jesus It Sucked. It's the precocious indie answer to Trainspotting.
I liked that it consistently maintained its curiously buoyant tone as the body count kept rising. I'm now inclined to check out the original short story collection as its apparently different tonally to the movie (really dug the author cameo in it, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

To be honest I found it irritating enough that I turned it off with probably 40 minutes left (which I really rarely do), but maybe it got better as things progressed.
I think you would've been most annoyed with the third act, unless you think this sort of movie deserves to end on a grace note.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

It was partially a matter of the politics of style of the film, a kind of cuteness that came across as self-satisfied condescension, and partially that, as someone who struggles with mental illness and psychiatric medication, I bristle real easily at the romanticization of psychoactive drugs in cinema.
I'm not sure if its romanticization as much as Fuckhead's lack of emotional response to all the poo poo that happens to him: he just takes it and runs with it. The most emotional Crudup ever gets is with the bunnies, I think.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anonymous Robot posted:

When I say romanticization here, I don't mean that it makes drug use look appealing, but rather that it makes it look Important and like something that Deep People do.
I think this is where we'll disagree because I didn't get that sense of Self-Importance from any of the characters. They seemed more like midwestern below-the-poverty-line types that were more concerned with scrounging enough money for their next hit than any sort expounding on their Life Philosophy. Maybe you're thinking of FH's vaguely precognitive thing, which I just mentally filed away as bullshit.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

FishBulb posted:

Kinda sad that he has to say that but yeah
What's sadder are probably the multitudes of twitter shitfuckers in that thread proclaiming 'death of the author' or w/e

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

weekly font posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02222007

There's no reason these things should be in opposition tbh

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Northern Virginia residents are all rich and poo poo, they deserve it.

Actually that 10-mile section of interstate used to be part of my commute, now I have to use the subway where today my train was stuck in a tunnel as the authorities had to fix an electrical problem at the next stop. Wasn't that bad of a wait because it was completely silent in the car other than some off-key guy listening & then singing his jams (mainly about beating up that pussy and random sfx) to a bunch of people that just got off work.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Skwirl posted:

I imagine there are people who need to drive through Northern Virginia who don't live in Northern Virginia and tolls that insane makes it seem like it's a special road only for rich people, which is even worse.
It pretty much is because it's an electronic toll that requires the driver to buy a transponder for $35 (which becomes your initial toll fare), then you refill as needed. I bought one because traffic around here is as bad as any place else in the US.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Uh, he still works for both. I think he's a gay black conservative.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hostile V posted:

I'm glad La La Land is getting a good reception. It turns out my cousin's friend who collaborated on him in videos and stuff in college ended up having a role in the production of the film, so much so my cousin got invited to go to the red carpet premiere and watch the movie. Dude works for Lionsgate but I'm not sure what role he plays in filming.
Decided to catch it a second time with a more packed night crowd and when the THE END card popped up, audience promptly burst into applause. But with it sweeping every category it was nominated for at the Globes and with the general existence of twitter, now the backlash can begin in earnest.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gt2XnD1Mzs

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hat Thoughts posted:

Everyone is their avatar, factually.
My avatar actually does look a lot like me but really isn't me. Does your dad whine about how sexually convenient it is to be bisexual or other some such nonsense?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Snak posted:

Who considers Mulholland DR a horror movie?
I mean there's that really good scare near the beginning. And what the last quarter of the movie covers, though that's more existential horror. It does bring to mind, however, this twitter thread where our old mod makes an impassioned plea for the genre:

https://twitter.com/jodamico1/status/772879979801616386

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It works imo

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is the interviewer Joe McCullogh?
Yes

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

K Waste (of time on awful movies)
I on the other hand only seek out good movies but then spend the rest of my time on anime and old episodes of monster truck challenge

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Anna Biller has been just shredding La La Land on twitter, often just by posting screencaps of it next to screencaps of Jacques Demy musicals.
I liked la la land better than her movie, but if it secretariat's its way to best picture, the backlash might be as immense as a crash/the artist/argo. Though I'm glad the other two top contenders appear to be moonlight and manny by the sea at the moment.

Interesting set of value differences as well, chazelle revels in that rich musical aesthetic for its own pleasure (which i don't think is a bad thing in and of itself), while biller also frontloads her influences but instead uses that aesthetic to critique the overarching patriarchial structure yet still have them retain their surface appeal.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

wyoming posted:

Though honestly, people often ignore the first season (or two) because of how drastically the show changed later, but they are loving wild and well worth watching.
The most emotional I get at The Simpsons is in that early episode where Marge is about to leave Homer for the bowling instructor, and Homer just can't bring himself to tell her not to go because he knows he screwed up, it just feels so heartbreakingly plausible that they could split like that. I really quit watching by Season 16, so I don't know if there have been anymore 'Marge leaves for another man' eps like they've done plenty of 'some impossibly hot woman wants to gently caress Homer' eps in those intervening years.

But as far as episodes with tons of quality jokes, I'd put Rosebud and

FishBulb posted:

The best Simpsons episode is the one where Homer gets accused of sexual harassment by the babysitter
at the top.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatulater bro! posted:

I know pretty much every episode title in the first 9 seasons :(
You are normal (and have good taste)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

One of the great things about the playoffs is really how the play is so constrained because basically every good player is going to be fighting through injuries or not playing at all. Like at a certain point it just becomes about which team can endure crippling injuries the most to make it to the final and then the Superbowl is always a mediocre game between two banged-up teams. This is why actual football fans rarely give a care about the superbowl (also if you're a football enthusiast you probably like one of the teams that never makes it)
Hmm I'd argue it's been the opposite for half the games played this century

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

CPL593H posted:

When The Dark Knight came out I remember the internet all came together to declare Heath Ledger as the ultimate portrayal of that character and that Jack Nicholson and that whole movie were total crap. I think it's died down since, but I still can't believe people ever thought that. Heath Ledger was interesting in the role for sure, but come the gently caress on. Jack Nicholson completely outclasses him in every way and the Tim Burton movies are just so much more fun than the Christopher Nolan series.
Could Ebert have swayed internet opinion like that back then? He loved the Nolan Batmans and was generally mixed on previous Batman blockbusters.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Look, just think of the bombing as impromptu viral marketing.
I'm just laughing at this wikipedia header

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Death By The Blues posted:

Shocked Handmaiden didn't get a foreign picture nom, one of the best in the year. Also, its score is really good.
Wow South Korea has never made it onto the final foreign Oscar ballot?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

I just learned that the original German name for The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser is Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle, which literally translates to Every man for himself and God against everyone, and now I'm sad they didn't keep it for the English translation because that's one hell of a title.
I kept it as that transliterated title when I listed it on my notepad film log

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

George Washington is so good. Criterion should do All the Real Girls too.
DGG's career has taken some strange turns

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

FishBulb posted:

I saw a kid like 10 wear a shirt for one of these at San Diego comic con one year.

Guess which one.
Was his name sasuke sephiroth sullivan(-san)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, the big must see is Mildred Pierce, probably the snappiest, bitchiest noir ever made. But a short list: Possessed, Female On The Beach, Strait-Jacket (the best of her so-called "hagsploitation" movies), Curtiz' Flamingo Road, Above Suspicion and The Women. I am not at all familiar with her pre 30's career, I don't think I've ever seen any of her silents.
To that I'll add Daisy Kenyon, a stellar romantic drama by Preminger, and Sudden Fear, a tense noir thriller.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I remember only checking out Sudden Fear because it was one of FFD's all-time favorite noirs and while it didn't quite reach those heights, it's still very cool.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I should see more Nicolas Ray stuff. I honestly think Rebel Without a Cause is by a pretty big margin the worst of the three movies I've seen by him (the other two being Johnny Guitar and In a Lonely Place).
Bigger Than Life is an excellent family drama that's a not-so-subtextual take down of Eisenhower-era America. The Lusty Men is reminiscent of Johnny Guitar in that many characters come with a fleshed-out backstory & their own competing agendas and also there's Robert loving Mitchum.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

K. Waste posted:

Caught Park Chan-wook's The Handmaiden last night. I liked it well enough, but part of me wishes that it really was just a straight story about a handmaiden who gets seduced and then locked up in an insane asylum. Don't get me wrong, Park's usual twists-and-turns are entertaining in their own right, and how the story plays out works in the fantastic, "Sade-esque" context of the story, but, ya know, dif' strokes.
Though cool on it overall, I was amused that the film's climactic outburst was triggered by an erotic drawing of an octupus wrapping itself around a woman.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
This recent reorganization is making me click on Creative Convention instead of this forum

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

it got promoted to being a full, separate forum in spite of being less active than the loving dorkroom
Turns out that 99% of SA doesn't give two fucks about what smg says about anything

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man, in defending against criticism for not mentioning three Jews in their Holocaust memorial statement, the Trump Administration pretty much just "all lives matter"ed the Holocaust.

I... I'm not sure I can make it through 4 years of this
I think trump's gonna suffer a nervous breakdown well before then which means we'll have to look forward to dealing with another brand of poo poo known as mike pence

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Slugworth posted:

Not gonna lie, really appreciate you name dropping Clone High there. You didn't need to, you know? Like, most people would have just said 'the 21 jump street guys'. Maybe thrown in 'Lego Movie'.

You're alright.
Clone High, to me, was the most unfairly cancelled cartoon series in my life.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's the one Coen I haven't seen. I guess I can give it a shot, just heard nothing above "its a passable coen movie"
I was mixed on it, but there are plenty of fun interpretations of it floating around CineD. Alden's part in that movie almost certainly cemented his casting as Han.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatula City posted:

I wonder if poutine but with tater tots instead of fries would work.
I think the gravy would make the tots fall apart easier, so they'd be harder to eat with a fork.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
They will be idiots for paying to be insulted.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I should really resolve to watch more obscure foreign festival releases like the above, Ixcanul, Aferim!, etc, I only really stick with name or upcoming auteurs even though I skipped on the three big Romanian releases this year

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm the extremely sad ending to this movie.
I haven't seen Kaguya, but I do remember watching Big Bird in Japan in 3rd grade (I think we spent one or a few months learning about Japanese culture and counting from 1 to 10) which pivoted from the Kaguya folk tale and made go what the hell when the special ended.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatulater bro! posted:

The OOP Facets DVD, or the region 2 Artificial Eye DVD.
I used VLC to watch the latter years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

weekly font posted:

That is an incredibly disappointing answer.
I guess you could read Satantango

• Locked thread