Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Of course it's based on Kafka's Metamorphosis in which a successful middle aged man learns to be a better father after he is turned into a bug and hilarity ensues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A bug who is a really good father.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Auschwitz the old, in with the new.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Last: Swiss Army Man
First: The Wailing

Swiss Army Man is fantastic. The Wailing is pretty drat good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Let's all work to pursue our dreams in the New Year. Never one to give up, I have decided to submit a follow-up application to Candy.com. My last resume may have been a little too boastful, so I've decided to turn it down a few notches and focus upon communicating my experience with humility and frank honesty.

http://tinyurl.com/zsnq9r4

This is good and funny. I would hire you if I were Candy.com.

As for dreams I am going to either go to film school or make at least one short film per month for each month of the year*. The second choice has the upside of being cheaper but the downside of me having to still do almost all the work myself and only having access to entry level equipment.

*After I finish my current project of a found footage comedy series about potato chips that starts out like a vlog and slowly morphs into a conspiracy thriller after the protagonist is kidnapped by Doritos extremists. We've already finished filming the first 7 episodes and then the show will take a short hiatus while we film the final three since those require sets other than my apartment, a whole bunch of actors, special effects and by extension a shitload of planning.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Great minds think alike. We actually contracted Doritos, or the franchise owners in Iceland, and got them to agree to give us a Doritos flag to hang in the background of our hostage/torture video in which the main character is waterboarded with Mountain Dew, has teeth pulled out and is forced violently to eat Nacho Cheese Doritos even if he thinks they are only mediocre. For some reason they bailed out at the last minute.

The funny thing is that this series started out because we wanted to do something that was very fast and ultra-cheap since our last project sort of fell through , at least temporarily, but when we actually got into planning and writing the series it became a lot bigger and changed genres near the end.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hear Hbomberguy's posts in the voice of that British dude on youtube who does videos about videogames and/or the alt-right.

Not sure why.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how alien and eerie the emperor looked in his first appearance.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

glam rock hamhock posted:

can't believe the zog lizardmen finally got to John Carpenter :smith:

For a moment I thought this meant he had been shot or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nothing can be attributed to me. I'm actually a bunch of embedded viral ads for bubblegum. All of this is randomly generated text from a pool of words chosen because they subconsciously remind people of the act of chewing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WRIGLEY'S DOUBLEMINT feels nice when crushed by your mouthbones and will not cause them undue strain and decay.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jenny Angel posted:

Thank you!

If anyone else received an email/PM from me saying that their gift should be on the way, but has yet to receive said gift, please let me know and I'll look into it

Mine was electric so it arrived with light speed. Thanks a million for being cool and generous, Jenny.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not much to get.

Your gum is a thin layer of fragile pink flesh that fastens your mouthbones to your skull.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I recently bought an extra battery for my camera. I bought it of ebay because it was 80% cheaper than from any local store. It arrived today, the custom information said it was a toy car. Inside the box was a plastic taxi with the battery in a compartment inside it. The compartment looked like it was meant to power the car but the car was purely plastic with no electrical components whatsoever so the compartment was seemingly purely there for the purpose of smuggling batteries.

Maybe it's some sort of wierd way to dodge customs fees or maybe those kinds of batteries can't technically be shipped except if their inside something. I just hope it doesn't explode when I try to use it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone except the lizard people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Movies are like 60% male navel gaze.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Brood is one of my favorite Cronenberg films.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Merry 13th , and last, day of Christmas. When elves, imps, and ogres run wild and the Yule Lads return to their home in the mountains.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Fly teaches you to be careful when experimenting with teleportation. Which is something we should all keep in mind, especially in this day and age

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Cable Guy is basically a proto-Punch Drunk Love in that it's a established comedy actor playing a similar character that he usually does but in a more grounded context which really brings out how broken of a person the character is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Underworld? More like Blunderworld!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR8fc9icqh8

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Calvinism makes sense, I mean how could free will ever be possible if God is omniscient because he couldn't really be omniscient if everything we do or think wasn't set in stone, but Calvinists seem to be dicks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The last ever batch of phonebooks in Iceland was printed last year.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

I Bury The Living because it's a great concept and for the most part a very good film but the ending sucks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A remake of Birth of a Nation with an all Black cast. White characters are portrayed by Black actors in whiteface. Silas Lynch is the protagonist and in the end he slaughters the klan and founds a Black empire from the ruins of the South.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh another good remake candidate, Argento's Inferno. Suspiria's untouchable but Inferno desperately needed a stronger through-line. I'd keep all the Three Mothers stuff since that's sort of an interesting idea that wasn't explored well. Also the giant skeleton thing at the end, and the Keith Emerson theme.

Didn't Argento become seriously ill during production so Mario Bava had to basically take over for him?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 9, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Armond White posted:

"We stand for active ideological struggle because it is the weapon for ensuring unity within the Party and the revolutionary organizations in the interest of our fight. Every Communist and revolutionary should take up this weapon.

But liberalism rejects ideological struggle and stands for unprincipled peace, thus giving rise to a decadent, Philistine attitude and bringing about political degeneration in certain units and individuals in the Party and the revolutionary organizations.

Liberalism manifests itself in various ways.

To let things slide for the sake of peace and friendship when a person has clearly gone wrong, and refrain from principled argument because he is an old acquaintance, a fellow townsman, a schoolmate, a close friend, a loved one, an old colleague or old subordinate. Or to touch on the matter lightly instead of going into it thoroughly, so as to keep on good terms. The result is that both the organization and the individual are harmed. This is one type of liberalism.

To indulge in irresponsible criticism in private instead of actively putting forward one's suggestions to the organization. To say nothing to people to their faces but to gossip behind their backs, or to say nothing at a meeting but to gossip afterwards. To show no regard at all for the principles of collective life but to follow one's own inclination. This is a second type.

To let things drift if they do not affect one personally; to say as little as possible while knowing perfectly well what is wrong, to be worldly wise and play safe and seek only to avoid blame. This is a third type.

Not to obey orders but to give pride of place to one's own opinions. To demand special consideration from the organization but to reject its discipline. This is a fourth type.

To indulge in personal attacks, pick quarrels, vent personal spite or seek revenge instead of entering into an argument and struggling against incorrect views for the sake of unity or progress or getting the work done properly. This is a fifth type.

To hear incorrect views without rebutting them and even to hear counter-revolutionary remarks without reporting them, but instead to take them calmly as if nothing had happened. This is a sixth type.

To be among the masses and fail to conduct propaganda and agitation or speak at meetings or conduct investigations and inquiries among them, and instead to be indifferent to them and show no concern for their well-being, forgetting that one is a Communist and behaving as if one were an ordinary non-Communist. This is a seventh type.

To see someone harming the interests of the masses and yet not feel indignant, or dissuade or stop him or reason with him, but to allow him to continue. This is an eighth type.

To work half-heartedly without a definite plan or direction; to work perfunctorily and muddle along--"So long as one remains a monk, one goes on tolling the bell." This is a ninth type.

To regard oneself as having rendered great service to the revolution, to pride oneself on being a veteran, to disdain minor assignments while being quite unequal to major tasks, to be slipshod in work and slack in study. This is a tenth type.

To be aware of one's own mistakes and yet make no attempt to correct them, taking a liberal attitude towards oneself. This is an eleventh type.

We could name more. But these eleven are the principal types.

They are all manifestations of liberalism.

Liberalism is extremely harmful in a revolutionary collective. It is a corrosive which eats away unity, undermines cohesion, causes apathy and creates dissension. It robs the revolutionary ranks of compact organization and strict discipline, prevents policies from being carried through and alienates the Party organizations from the masses which the Party leads. It is an extremely bad tendency.

Liberalism stems from petty-bourgeois selfishness, it places personal interests first and the interests of the revolution second, and this gives rise to ideological, political and organizational liberalism.

People who are liberals look upon the principles of Marxism as abstract dogma. They approve of Marxism, but are not prepared to practice it or to practice it in full; they are not prepared to replace their liberalism by Marxism. These people have their Marxism, but they have their liberalism as well--they talk Marxism but practice liberalism; they apply Marxism to others but liberalism to themselves. They keep both kinds of goods in stock and find a use for each. This is how the minds of certain people work.

Liberalism is a manifestation of opportunism and conflicts fundamentally with Marxism. It is negative and objectively has the effect of helping the enemy; that is why the enemy welcomes its preservation in our midst. Such being its nature, there should be no place for it in the ranks of the revolution.

We must use Marxism, which is positive in spirit, to overcome liberalism, which is negative. A Communist should have largeness of mind and he should be staunch and active, looking upon the interests of the revolution as his very life and subordinating his personal interests to those of the revolution; always and everywhere he should adhere to principle and wage a tireless struggle against all incorrect ideas and actions, so as to consolidate the collective life of the Party and strengthen the ties between the Party and the masses; he should be more concerned about the Party and the masses than about any private person, and more concerned about others than about himself. Only thus can he be considered a Communist.

All loyal, honest, active and upright Communists must unite to oppose the liberal tendencies shown by certain people among us, and set them on the right path. This is one of the tasks on our ideological front."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eric Andre is the best talk show host.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Welp looks like I'm on a /pol/ dox list. Anyone have any advice? i really, really, really don't wanna get doxxed.

Dox them back. Find out where they live. Raise a wooden pole in front of their door and carve a curse into it, preferably in Fuşark. Sacrifice a horse and place it's head on top of the pole facing towards the door.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm Magnus Magnus Magnusson.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rob a bank for your furbaby.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't a jump cut where it's a shot from the same or similar angle so that the cut is extremely visibile and makes objects or people seemingly "jump" suddenly?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Even if it turns out that President Elect Donald Trump didn't specifically have prostitutes urinate on that specific occasion he will probably always be known as the pee president. It will be a thing mentioned as trivia on the cybernet 200 years from now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought Film Crit Hulk was mild mannered scientist Film Crit Bruce Banner.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snak posted:

I'm not watching some video. Why are we invading Poland?

NATO is not invading Poland. Poland is NATO.

NATO is sending additional troops to the Baltic states and Poland to prevent another Russian landgrab.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Poland is a natural part of the Russian Federation and always been a natural part of the Russian Federation. Anything else is lies by Gay-Fascists.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shouting seems to be the default manner of speaking for most of you people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snak posted:

Get Zizek to have a cameo where he walks past at an appropriate time.

SLOVENIAN PHILOSOPHER SLAVOJ ZIZEK wanders into frame. He is frantically scratching his beard and nose and slowly inches closer to their train compartment. He raises his hand and opens his mouth to speak but before he can a PORTER walks past pushing a open trash can. Zizek follows greedily licking his lips in a profane and gluttonous manner.

e:
Scratch that

Safety Factor posted:

Only if he walks like Bigfoot.

Is much better. As long as it is the exact same movements and timing as the original video. Preferably slightly out of focus.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 12, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Egbert Souse posted:

I've been meaning to see it. The only Franju I've seen so far is Eyes Without a Face. Haven't gotten enough courage to watch Blood of the Beasts yet.

I took a horror class back in university. We watched Blood of the Beasts before watching Eyes Without a Face. The idea being that both films tied into the idea of horror being a way for nations to deal with historical trauma as put forward in Lowenstin's Shocking Representation, in this case WW2 and the Holocaust. The calm, professional, and almost mechanical way the animals are butchered supposedly mirroring the cold and calculated industrial genocide of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Holy moly I'm an hour into Metropolis (Kino restoration) and how the gently caress did Lang make this film in nineteen goddamn twenty-seven.

It's pretty amazing but there was a lot of stuff like that in the 20s.

The late silent era is one of the peaks of film as an art form. Filmmakers had gotten really good at telling stories visually since the visuals were all there was. The introduction of sound was a pretty big step back in some ways because having to worry about getting good sound often meant compromises had to be made on the visual front since the early mics were really bulky and clumsy hugely limiting the movement of both the actors and the camera. Basically taking film back to the 19th century for a few years.

Not that all early sound films were like this. Lang's M is one of his best films and is a pretty early talkie. But I imagine that was a case of him using his experience and talent to find ways to work around the limitations.

• Locked thread