Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A Ride in the Park had a cool and good gimmick, and it hit a note that otherwise bugs me in zombie films. A zombie waking up to being eaten and has to stop himself from being eaten by other zombies (and stop himself from eating himself) is fun to see, since you usually don't. Plus, the ending was :unsmith:.

Slumber Party Alien Abduction wasn't deep, but I loved the wall-of-sound-and-light-as-a-corraling gimmick.

Safe Haven was one that never worked for me. It's been forever and a day since I've watched it, but I remember not liking that once poo poo hit the fan, it was creepy thing in creepy room, repeat a few times. And that ending, hah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fun, if somewhat empty, adventure movie.

For some reason I get the sense that some people wanted RO to ~mean something~ more than it did. I know that's a rather non-concrete way of saying it, but "A Star Wars Story" means just that - it's a story within the broader Star Wars universe - and it has a more defined Beginning and End to it. The fact that (spoilers) almost everyone involved exclusively in this film dies by the end lends credence to that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is pretty interesting.

TLDR, the Titanic might've been hosed before it hit the iceberg. A fire, allegedly, made the hull weaker than it normally would've been.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

I just saw a TV spot for the new Underworld movie, and holy smokes that looks shockingly bad.

I doubt it makes even half it's production/marketing budget back after the worldwide take.

The Underworld movies were always guilty pleasures for me, but even for me they've gotten more guilt than pleasure as they've rolled along.

I'm surprised they did the movie. Didnt Kate Beckinsale and the director divorce a while ago? Would be an awkward thing to do.

What's really weird is that it's not getting increasingly-standard 7pm showings today, according to Fandango.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 5, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Was the ending to eXistenz more shocking for its time? I can't remember when I first watched it, but I didn't get very long into it before realizing there were good odds it'd end with a "Is this another layer of fake reality?" twist, because I had seen it elsewhere a lot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The amount of advertising I'm seeing for the new Underworld movie, relative to the amount of showings its getting, is blowing my mind.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The new Underworld movie is loving weird. I'm almost glad that I was forced to see it sober (how does a theater that serve alcohol run out of Bud Light?), because otherwise I'd not really be convinced that some of it actually happened.

I think the most :wtc: thing is when one vampire and one werewolf shoot each other like they were bullet sponges (which they are, because they are both special guys) until they are right next to each other, then they both scream and pop out all the bullets inside themselves simultaneously. Like, I'm not sure if it was meant to be as funny as it was.

Or when a bad vampire that previously drank Selene's super blood learns she can survive the sun, but dies seconds later to a sword to the back of the head.

Or how Lara Pulver's character has so many outfit changes to remind the audience she has tits.

Does a fifth Underworld movie warrant spoilers?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 7, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

Of loving COURSE you drink Bud Light

hahaha

Eh, it's mostly my drink of choice because I didn't even drink until my mid late 20s, had no idea where to start, and they were free where I was the first time I did.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

There's a difference between "drink of choice" and "only thing you drink" and apparently it's the later.

Nah, I'll drink other stuff, I'm not that picky. Bud Light is just my default when I don't have a specific thing in mind.

Like, when you're watching a fifth Underworld movie and you figure quality is going to be required over quality.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 7, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really should watch Videodrome, but I can't shake the feeling I'd be entirely grossed out by it. Not scared, not disturbed, just grossed out.

E, vvv Bud Light lacks both slime/go and the tearing of skin, so it's objectively less gross.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 7, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing, I feel bad for live musicians at bars. You know they, deep down, want to play their own music they've written. But their audience (you know, white folks in the process of getting drunk) only respond to the covers they know the lyrics to while in the aforementioned process of getting drunk.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Those songs are objectively better because they sold more albums/singles/were licenced more, only posers pretending to be cool want to hear music that's not on a top 40 station.

Well, duh - they know what the audience wants, after all, so they do the covers - but it's still kinda sad.

Hostile V posted:

You been watchin' La La Land, huh.

If this has anything to do with what I said, I suppose I should see it. It didn't seem like my cup of tea, outside of Emma Stone being cute.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

I'd want to remake John Carpenter's The Thing. Pretty much shot-for-shot, though, mostly just to replace the effects so as to avoid me doing a lot of work myself.

Very small changes here and there (not even plot ones, things like removing that weird screech when a Thing runs past what's-his-face late in the film, or having Bennings-Thing just sitting there waiting to be killed).

Oh, and whoever played Palmer would be forced in the contract to be the shadow on the wall when the Dog-thing came into their room. It was supposed to be him, but someone thought people would recognize David Clennon's shadow, and that was somehow a bad thing.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 9, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My YTOTD is a supremely talented pianist listening to video game themes and immediately playing them on piano awesomely. The channel its on has her doing this a lot with different themes, and it's just amazing how she can pull it off.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My YTOTD is an oldie but a goodie: a dude miming Torn by Natalie Imbruglia, with Natalie Imbruglia.

Unrelated, I decided to clean up my DVD and BR shelves. Needed an entire extra shelf (which meant I had to also do an emergency fresh look at what books I do and don't need), and at the end of it I still have only two feet or so left of space. This includes removing extra box sets I've gotten as presents over the years, and discs I've bought forgetting I already had them. I'm tired as poo poo.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 14, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I loving love The World's End and I'm puzzled by people who think it's the weakest of the Cornetto trilogy.

My beef with it comes from a dislike of the main character and those similar to them. I'm supposed to cheer on this dude, but he's the type of person who is preventing Earth from being uplifted.

I like the movie, but as a tragedy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
gently caress me, I think I might have pink eye. Pink eye, of all things.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

plz dont pull out posted:

I've always been a big fan of The Thing dog. He was real good at being sinister.

That's because that dog was half wolf, and had a habit of making you realize it randomly when it was spooked.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Even in its heyday, I don't think I've been able to remember an episode title for the Simpsons. It's always That One With X, where X is the gimmick.

Like, I had to look it up to know that In Marge We Trust was that episode with Mr Sparkle.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress

guys, what the gently caress

Split is, revealed in the very last scene, a loving sequel to Unbreakable. As in (last scene) the last scene has a random person talking about how events like the events of the movie happened fifteen years prior, involving a crazy dude whom the media gave a nickname, and how he was in a wheelchair, and the person next to him is Bruce Willis, who sighs and says "Mister Glass".

I didn't expect this. Holy poo poo.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 20, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

But is it canon?

I'm not sure how much there is to canonicity for that film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Founder is really good. Keaton is awesome as always, but holy poo poo does John Carroll Lynch almost steal the show.

Spoiler free review I did.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm torn.

On one hand, I dealt with old white dudes claiming to own businesses for literally two hours, ranting about how the recently marches were all "stupid black people who are pissed Trump is going to make america great again", and everyone at the bar wanting them to shut up (primarily because the population at the bar was predominantly black and women). And I accomplished that rather effectively.

On the other hand, them shutting up (and according to the text I just got, leaving) was caused by me waiting until they brought up an honest-to-god Benghazi rant, sighing and saying "It's a game of chess, who cares about the pawns?", which is rather a rude position to take about our armed forces. I don't actually have that mentality, I just wanted them to shut the gently caress up and figured putting up a big "STOP TALKING TO ME I NOBODY AROUND YOU AGREES" sign would work, which I remind you, worked.

On the gripping hand, christ, don't loving rant about politics at 10pm at a bar on a fuckin' Tuesday, assholes. You live in the bluest of Blue Illinois, shut up.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 25, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I guess that makes me a loving rear end in a top hat.

Nah, it wouldn't make you an rear end in a top hat. You're right in a high-concept way, but the lovely thing is that neo-nazis and their ilk aren't generally just going to go away. Sure, you'll read feel-good stories about one converting to basic humanity, but you're never going to get rid of them enough that they don't exist.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but the issue is that we'll never be rid of them. They can only be contained/mocked/punched.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

The problem with trying to solve things by punching Nazis is that they'll just use it as an example of the how white people really out being oppressed and recruit more and strengthen the resolve of others. To be clear, I am 100% for punching Nazis but you need more than that

I think most people would eventually equate the "being punched in the face" with "being a nazi" thing. The rest could be handled by face-punching.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Having seen Resident Evil: The Final Chapter without any video game or previous-movie context, I think I finally understand why the folks at RLM broke down in laughter watching these films. I almost can't wait to actually watch the other ones, just to see if they are as batshit as this one.

They did the loving robocop thing! They set it up with a line maybe twenty minutes into the film, and I was just waiting to hear "You're fired" from someone and I was not disappointed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

meanolmrcloud posted:

There a part near the beginning where bad guys pop out of a loving box in the middle of the road and in my head, how i remember it, it is just plain pure comedy.

This is the point where I started giggling, and I'm pretty sure I didn't stop the entire film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Every time someone uploads a video to Youtube in portrait mode, Jesus weeps.

This will continue to be a thing as long as 90% of what the average user does on their phone is portrait. Hell, you'd probably have to go back down the chain and try and figure out how to make devices as ergonomically sound in landscape as naturally as devices already are in portrait.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

I read somewhere on this here website that it's actually totally possible to present a landscape picture while holding a vertical phone, they just don't do it because its unintuitive to record something with bars covering so much of the screen & end up with a different final file then you started with. Seems like theres apps that do it for you now though
https://horizon.camera/

Huh, that's legitimately interesting. I wonder if part of the issue is sheer screen real-estate: if people are recording something, they want the result as big on their screen (if for no other reason than they want to be able to see if their recording is what they want to be recording), and the bars at the top and bottom are crunching the image (if only during filming).

Unrelated, I really wish movie ticket kiosks had a "are you sure you want to print this ticket? Your showing isn't today!" sanity check on them. I bought a ticket to a little indie movie I'm interested in, and somewhere along the line I glossed over the fact that it comes out next Friday, not today.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

It's okay, you can admit you're really pumped for The Space Between Us.

I actually am I interested in that, but it wasn't what I was thinking of.

It's a movie called Growing Up Smith, a coming-of-age story about an Indian boy dealing with wanting to be an average American, with a father that is both supportive and wants him to be an average Indian.

I'm not sure why I'm so interested in it - Jason Lee is in it, and I haven't seen him in poo poo in a long time, plus the film ain't exactly my wheelhouse in general - but I caught an ad for it, and had the time off from work, so bought tickets.

It wasn't until I made a random comment to the ticket-tearer about seeing a movie so obscure that they didn't change the signage in that theater that we realized something was up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Feel like this informational vid is a lot more ominous than they intended

I'm torn on this. Like, yes, absolutely gently caress the "Jumping over dead Jews" guy, but man, at least young folks are actually at a memorial where they might just learn something about a rapidly-fading and uncomfortable-enough-to-want-to-forget moment in history, while doing their dumbass selfies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Nah, Nazis are too far gone. Random teens? You've got a chance.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

On the other hand, the Holocaust Museum in DC had to ask people to stop coming in just to catch Pokemon.

See, that's sort of the point. Yeah, kids are going to a holocaust museum to catch Pokemon. It's weird and moderately innapropriate. You might just prevent a Nazi in the future if you don't make a holocaust museum or memorial into a Stop Having Fun Here place.

But they're going to a holocaust museum. A place that otherwise, they'd either avoid or go in glass-eyed on a field trip and not remember poo poo. They might be going there for a frigging Pikachu, but they are still walking around the halls of the place, more involved.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

Oh, I see, you're doing a whole Poe's law bit.

Nah, since I had to look it up.

It shouldn't be an extreme position to say that it's a good thing to get people to holocaust memorials and museums. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar, after all, and pearl-clutching about young people are doing selfies is, IMO, is short-sighted.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

Sure, leave out the whole thing about how playing Pokemon Go and taking selfies gets you "involved" in the museum. Eventually this thesis will work out. You don't have to do the work at all.

Yes, I leave it out because it's a delivery system. A young person wandering around a holocaust museum will inherently and inevitably pick up more holocaust-based information than someone who had been told that all the things you do ad a young adult aren't tolerated here.

I get it. Some people hated that Mythbusters made science interesting to people because of their explosions, or wearing underwear on the outside of their jeans. Some people didn't like Star Trek using aliens to reach people to
tell them that, hey, racism is wrong.

K. Waste posted:

going there to catch Pokemon is at the very least a tactless thing to do; a show of disrespect not merely to the content of exhibition, but to all those people who came to the Holocaust museum for the express purpose of exposing themselves to the Holocaust museum, not to "be involved" with people playing Pokemon.

So you think it's better that people don't go to holocaust memorials unless they are Doing It Right? I thought that stuff was exclusively the domain of MMO players. I care precisely dick about why people go to holocaust memorials, I care that they've gone. Them going will, regardless of superficial intent, do them some good, especially in these times.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I want to be MrBibs for a day.

It's rather easy and fun. Your only major ideological opponents are Trump supporters. The movies you dig, people dig enough that you'll get more of em. Same with most other forms of entertainment.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The issue here is yes there is a wrong way to act at the Holocaust museum... yes it is better that someone not go at all rather than loving go there to catch pokemon.

:shrug: I suppose that's the basis of the disagreement. By hook or by crook, I want people to be motivated to be at such things. If you're getting people there via a lovely Pokemon game or water showers to make it more tolerable to visit, or something else entirely that'll upset some people, I don't care. Our collective society is good at getting people to want poo poo they don't really need; any time or way we use that for something as important as remembering the holocaust is a damned fine trade-off.

E, vvv that's insane. Public place headphone policy is always one-ear-off.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

lol did you really just suggest that showers would be a good promotion for the Holocaust Museum

I was citing the showers put in because it was close to a hundred degrees and heat stroke is a thing that happens to human beings.

Me? Not a fan of heat stroke. People want to visit a death camp? Better to not have them, ya know, actually suffer ailments in the process.

I feel this is an argument I can't really engage in much longer without devolving into incomprehensible obscenities so I'll just note this under "bibs is taking his gimmick too far" and move on

This is what being Bibs is. In the end, everyone concedes that you're right.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

gently caress Whitey posted:

I don't think you know what those words actually mean. Nobody is conceding that you're right, they're just giving up on arguing with you because you're a stupid rear end in a top hat who says stupid poo poo that you can't argue with because it exists in a parallel dimension of pure stupidity

They gave up arguing with me because they lacked any decent counter-argument. We all know kids going to museums and memorials is better than kids not going, and that there's a huge difference between letting young people take selfies at those places compared to strip clubs. We all know that letting kids take pictures of themselves is a super-trivial price to pay.

It's far less about what I said than the fact that I said it. I get it.

Like I said, gently caress the "Jumping on Dead Jews" guy, but the rest are harmless.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Split does own. I said it when it first came out, it was a B+ movie whose last scene made it a solid A.

Alhazred posted:

I actually work with kids and you are completely wrong

So do I. Recently got a bonus for - wait for it - making events/field trips more exciting for the kids.

gently caress Whitey posted:

No, they gave up arguing because you're such a stupid motherfucker that they may as well be talking to a brick wall

So you agree that it's the poor counter-argument thing I mentioned earlier? If your arguments don't come correct and bounce off, might consider better arguments?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

More than The Visit though?? I think... not quite

I think Split edges it out because the twist recontectualizes the genre the film is in so suddenly that you have to give it props. The Visit is more, for lack of a better term, generic in that respect.

E, don't think I was very clear, Split's twist of he's actually kinda a super powered villain and not just a dude who hasn't died yet from his wounds is more holy-poo poo than oh, those aren't the grandparents, just crazy folks. gently caress, I need to watch The Visit again.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've never been at a crackhouse, so you're mistaken.

Safety Factor posted:

Wait, what? Are those the only options for children in your area?

What? No, I was just pointing out the inherent insanity in trying to equate letting kids take pictures of themselves in places with turning those same places into strip clubs. Like I said, in the absence of a valid counter-argument, nonsense is proposed (the whole "add strippers to the museums" thing).

On the big list of ways to not discourage younger generations from visiting holocaust-based memorials and museums, letting people take pictures of themselves is really low on the things-to-start-pearl-clutching scale.

Ffs, one of the images edited was a dude juggling. juggling. In what nonsensical belief system is that actually offensive?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 29, 2017

• Locked thread