Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
If we can just lure people into the holocaust museum building they'll passively absorb the magic holocaust radiation, which will transform their minds and hearts and prevent similar atrocities from being repeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Come for the interactive chart of train schedules from Central Europe in 1938-1945, stay for the astronaut ice cream

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

"Im here for the Rae Sremmurd show... hey, whats this free chipotle burrito coupon doing on this pile of shoes?"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MisterBibs posted:

It shouldn't be an extreme position to say that it's a good thing to get people to holocaust memorials and museums. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar, after all.

Sure, leave out the whole thing about how playing Pokemon Go and taking selfies gets you "involved" in the museum. Eventually this thesis will work out. You don't have to do the work at all.

The extremity of your position lies in its apathy and then automatic abdication of context. Like, in the scenario where the mass tracking device/slavery video game doesn't exist, and the type of person who would follow it to the Holocaust museum subsequently doesn't go to the Holocaust museum, why should we assume there's a loss here? The visiting of the Holocaust museum is superficial content - you could not go to one your entire life and be able to understand that going there to catch Pokemon is at the very least a tactless thing to do; a show of disrespect not merely to the content of exhibition, but to all those people who came to the Holocaust museum for the express purpose of exposing themselves to the Holocaust museum, not to "be involved" with people playing Pokemon.

As Lil Mama points out - though he shouldn't need to - history is not magic. You do not involve yourself in it by merely accidentally stumbling along to it amidst your myopic concern with taking cool social networking pictures and molesting invisible monsters. You have to actually do the work of engagement.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

It's a depressingly cynical and warped way to view humanity, imo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

It's a depressingly cynical and warped way to view [insert most things MrBibs has an opinion on]

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

"Im here for the Rae Sremmurd show... hey, whats this free chipotle burrito coupon doing on this pile of shoes?"

its "ear drummers"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

If we can just lure people into the holocaust museum building they'll passively absorb the magic holocaust radiation, which will transform their minds and hearts and prevent similar atrocities from being repeated.

I encourage trips to Chernobyl.

Going through the motions being the important part does fit in with MrBibs MO.
I know this movie is good because I'm told it is popular, I know visiting a museum is important because I'm told history is important.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I want to be MrBibs for a day.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Everytime I try to put myself into that headspace it immediately makes me want to die. Which means MrBibs is living in a very groovy and far-out reality tunnel, congrats man.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

Sure, leave out the whole thing about how playing Pokemon Go and taking selfies gets you "involved" in the museum. Eventually this thesis will work out. You don't have to do the work at all.

Yes, I leave it out because it's a delivery system. A young person wandering around a holocaust museum will inherently and inevitably pick up more holocaust-based information than someone who had been told that all the things you do ad a young adult aren't tolerated here.

I get it. Some people hated that Mythbusters made science interesting to people because of their explosions, or wearing underwear on the outside of their jeans. Some people didn't like Star Trek using aliens to reach people to
tell them that, hey, racism is wrong.

K. Waste posted:

going there to catch Pokemon is at the very least a tactless thing to do; a show of disrespect not merely to the content of exhibition, but to all those people who came to the Holocaust museum for the express purpose of exposing themselves to the Holocaust museum, not to "be involved" with people playing Pokemon.

So you think it's better that people don't go to holocaust memorials unless they are Doing It Right? I thought that stuff was exclusively the domain of MMO players. I care precisely dick about why people go to holocaust memorials, I care that they've gone. Them going will, regardless of superficial intent, do them some good, especially in these times.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I want to be MrBibs for a day.

It's rather easy and fun. Your only major ideological opponents are Trump supporters. The movies you dig, people dig enough that you'll get more of em. Same with most other forms of entertainment.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 29, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I imagine MrBibs to be placidly tubing at all times.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

So you think it's better that people don't go to holocaust memorials unless they are Doing It Right? I thought that stuff was exclusively the domain of MMO players.

The issue here is yes there is a wrong way to act at the Holocaust museum but most people don't have to work about this because if you do end up doing it wrong, you're loving awful.

And yes it is better that someone not go at all rather than loving go there to catch pokemon.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

The issue here is yes there is a wrong way to act at the Holocaust museum... yes it is better that someone not go at all rather than loving go there to catch pokemon.

:shrug: I suppose that's the basis of the disagreement. By hook or by crook, I want people to be motivated to be at such things. If you're getting people there via a lovely Pokemon game or water showers to make it more tolerable to visit, or something else entirely that'll upset some people, I don't care. Our collective society is good at getting people to want poo poo they don't really need; any time or way we use that for something as important as remembering the holocaust is a damned fine trade-off.

E, vvv that's insane. Public place headphone policy is always one-ear-off.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 29, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I imagine MrBibs to be placidly tubing at all times...

...on a lazy river winding thru the holocaust museum.

"Sir, would you mind removing your headphones?"

*he removes one earbud and Margaritaville can be heard* "DONT TELL ME HOW TO HOLOCAUST MUSEUM, MAN"

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 29, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

...on a lazy river winding thru the holocaust museum.

"Sir, would you mind removing your headphones?"

*he removes one earbud and Margaritaville can be heard* "DONT TELL ME HOW TO HOLOCAUST MUSEUM, MAN"

sipping a daiquiri through a five-foot silly straw that spells out "ARBEIT MACHT FUN"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MisterBibs posted:

:shrug: I suppose that's the basis of the disagreement. By hook or by crook, I want people to be motivated to be at such things. If you're getting people there via a lovely Pokemon game or water showers to make it more tolerable to visit, or something else entirely that'll upset some people, I don't care. Our collective society is good at getting people to want poo poo they don't really need; any time or way we use that for something as important as remembering the holocaust is a damned fine trade-off.

lol did you really just suggest that showers would be a good promotion for the Holocaust Museum

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
holocaust memorial and splash pad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel this is an argument I can't really engage in much longer without devolving into incomprehensible obscenities so I'll just note this under "bibs is taking his gimmick too far" and move on

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

lol did you really just suggest that showers would be a good promotion for the Holocaust Museum

I was citing the showers put in because it was close to a hundred degrees and heat stroke is a thing that happens to human beings.

Me? Not a fan of heat stroke. People want to visit a death camp? Better to not have them, ya know, actually suffer ailments in the process.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel this is an argument I can't really engage in much longer without devolving into incomprehensible obscenities so I'll just note this under "bibs is taking his gimmick too far" and move on

This is what being Bibs is. In the end, everyone concedes that you're right.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 29, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

People like being tricked into feeling and caring, and this is not at all a contributing factor to why people want to be disconnected and anesthetized by culture at all times, thus forcing us to create ever more elaborate traps to get them to think and feel. They'll appreciate it. Trust me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hbomberguy posted:

I definitely agree with SMG's point about Sonic. I feel like we've both arrived at similar conclusions, IE that the appeal in a lot of media where characters display intimacy but without real human complications, or where the character is basically inhumanly happy about collecting stars and getting some cake, is precisely the appeal of the character because we wish we were so uncomplicated by human flaws. I'm curious to see how SMG arrived at their version.

You rejected my Facebook friend request, you monster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He didn't swipe me back on Tinder either.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FishBulb posted:

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY ITS DARK

Because it's written by the guy who makes Archie horror books.

Lurdiak posted:

He didn't swipe me back on Tinder either.

I was mostly just commenting about it so that he didn't think I was some kind of gross MRA dickweed trying to get on his facebook and talk poo poo because of the videos.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

It shouldn't be an extreme position to say that it's a good thing to get people to holocaust memorials and museums. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar, after all, and pearl-clutching about young people are doing selfies is, IMO, is short-sighted.

Actually they did a study and you actually do catch more flies with vinegar. Not that it really matters but whatever. I do think the response should be more "hey kid, I know you're here to have a good time but please be more respectful" than "hey kid, gently caress you", but you're not making a great case.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I was citing the showers put in because it was close to a hundred degrees and heat stroke is a thing that happens to human beings.

Me? Not a fan of heat stroke. People want to visit a death camp? Better to not have them, ya know, actually suffer ailments in the process.
:lol: at baby bitches that don't live in a wet, hot armpit of the world. 100 degrees? Humid? That's like half my year.

Kill me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd love to see any of Lynch's films in the theater, but FWWM is way, way up on the list.

It was so worth it. The sound design alone is insane. Also dang this might be one of the most horrifying films I've ever seen.

So much more impactful on the big screen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

holocaust memorial and splash pad

Holocaust Memorial Happy Hour, two drinks for the price of one.

Also, put strippers on the memorial. The people who watch the strippers learn more about the Holocaust than the people who don't visit the memorial for the strippers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Holocaust Memorial Happy Hour, two drinks for the price of one.

Also, put strippers on the memorial. The people who watch the strippers learn more about the Holocaust than the people who don't visit the memorial for the strippers.

Nothing gets me hotter (or is more educational) than watching a nubile Jewess slowly stripping off her naughty concentration camp inmate uniform. "That's one sexy Sonderkommando!"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TALKIN BOUT MY GENERATION!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CPL593H posted:

TALKIN BOUT MY GENERATION!

If we believe there's even a 1% chance that this person learned a valuable lesson at Auschwitz we have to take it as absolute certainty and consequently allow bullshit like this to happen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A reminder that the Holocaust killed millions of people who could have potentially became Beliebers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

If we believe there's even a 1% chance that this person learned a valuable lesson at Auschwitz we have to take it as absolute certainty and consequently allow bullshit like this to happen.

I went to the site of one of history's greatest atrocities and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Some people didn't like Star Trek using aliens to reach people to
tell them that, hey, racism is wrong.

Oh, that's a bad example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Honor_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

K. Waste posted:

The extremity of your position lies in its apathy and then automatic abdication of context. Like, in the scenario where the mass tracking device/slavery video game doesn't exist, and the type of person who would follow it to the Holocaust museum subsequently doesn't go to the Holocaust museum, why should we assume there's a loss here? The visiting of the Holocaust museum is superficial content - you could not go to one your entire life and be able to understand that going there to catch Pokemon is at the very least a tactless thing to do; a show of disrespect not merely to the content of exhibition, but to all those people who came to the Holocaust museum for the express purpose of exposing themselves to the Holocaust museum, not to "be involved" with people playing Pokemon.

As Lil Mama points out - though he shouldn't need to - history is not magic. You do not involve yourself in it by merely accidentally stumbling along to it amidst your myopic concern with taking cool social networking pictures and molesting invisible monsters. You have to actually do the work of engagement.

I think people are skipping over the whole 3edgy5me mass tracking device/slavery video game part which is at least half as dumb as Bibs

And Bibs is real dumb

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

MisterBibs posted:

This is what being Bibs is. In the end, everyone concedes that you're right.

I don't think you know what those words actually mean. Nobody is conceding that you're right, they're just giving up on arguing with you because you're a stupid rear end in a top hat who says stupid poo poo that you can't argue with because it exists in a parallel dimension of pure stupidity

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
[Mr. Bibs, at a loved one's funeral] "Well, I don't like that this high school marching band showed up unannounced and won't stop playing, but at least they came."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MisterBibs posted:

So you think it's better that people don't go to holocaust memorials unless they are Doing It Right?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

[Mr. Bibs, at a loved one's funeral] "Well, I don't like that this high school marching band showed up unannounced and won't stop playing, but at least they came."

"If that's the only way that people are going to get exposure to classic marching band music, it's a price worth paying"

• Locked thread