Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

By the law of New Threads all the lurkers of the last one have to become regulars & all the regulars have to retire. Cheers.

Ugh fìiiiiiiiiine *rolls eyes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
So i start this new year by watching plan 9 from outer space with my brothers (riftrax version). Was a fun time

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I read all your posts with the voice of charles dance

EDIT: exept lurdiak: i read his post like a drunken nordics fan from quebec trying to speak english

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2017

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I don't drink or like the nordiques :(

i figured... but you would be the only one who knows, aside from myself, what that sounds like.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Who was the GenChat poster with "I'm glad she's dead"? That's my pick for best contribution.

is it the one scotish guy who was asked by a new reporter what he thought of the death of margaret thatcher?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

If you do, I want you to read my work and react to it with emotion and feeling, rather than like....whatever the hell you react to movies with. I just don't think you will help me, I mean, I could give it a try, gently caress I could even post it right here on this thread because It's a billion pages long and I don't think anyone's read it, or if they have maybe they think it's completely terrible and don't want to say anything. Which is fair. But that is something I'd like to know.

I just don't really understand the way you view movies man. It's completely alien to me.

Well i would say smg approaches film as humanism...and that require actuality caring about the well being of mankind as a whole... despite being a chatbot

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
A scream of terror or a yawn of boredom

or maybe a yawn of terror

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And, more troublingly, Aliens.

oh can you go into why?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Whichever one's closest to "functional addict"

listen man you cant be all of them

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yo death, lurd id be down to hang out if youll have me

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm farely sure that DBB dind't mean it as some kind of scathing take down of anyone that liked it.

I thought it was farely mediocre honestly.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Its cool man i went out with my brothers to watch john wick 2 anyways

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

A friend was walking along the side of a rural road to get home after a party and a car stopped next to her. The guy offered her a ride home and was like "it's me, Dan Aykroyd". So she got driven home by Dan Aykroyd.

sounds like the start of another episode of My favorite murder

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Killing time, watching movies by osmosis.

Pretending like your're hanging out with these people

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

My spellcheck thinks diegetic isn't a real word, and it's right.

So what's the laymans way of saying diagetic then?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wait, what's wrong with the word "diegetic"? How else would you describe, say, a diegetic soundtrack?

I guess you could always say the music in the movie and just leave it at that, and whatever precision you want to make you just have to use more words like: The music that play in the universe of the movie and you keep repeating that. 'cause using diagetic would just confuse your audience obviously.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 13, 2017

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

You don't need to describe and re-describe it if you don't use a term in the first place, especially in the context of talking to people who don't regularly speak in artsy-fartsy terms about movies (which I believe was the original context we're discussing).

I mean, poo poo, go nuts over diegesis and mise en scène and the like if you're talking to a film buff. But in the context of talking about movies with regular-rear end people (or regular rear end-people), yeah, just use "in-movie music" or something. Don't be that hockey guy who thinks the person cheering for the Blackhawks needs to know the intricacies of the dump-and-chase to really enjoy the game.

Right so always underestimate people, gotcha

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

When does Spec Ops get subversive or whatever cause I'm trying to be open minded but this is just a bad cover shooter so far.

That's the failing of that game; the gameplay is mediocre and the only subversion comes from the story

Still i liked it played it once never played it again after

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

It is easy to argue that generic shootmanness of the game is part of the point, but that doesn't really excuse it.

Yeah the gameplay being what it is was just a shame considering what they where trying to do

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Chapo Trap House is great and everyone in this thread should listen to it.

FIIINE jeez another godamn obligation

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Sorcerer

[in hushed voice] Sorcerer

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

I like these two aliens having a casual conversation with each other.

Master chief waiting for the bus

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
speaking of wich hypernormalization was something i was putting off for a bit now, until yesterday: I needed to hug my brother after watching that

Man kojima really was pre-scient with mgs2

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry but im confused too: do you mean vargo the guy who posted here or some othed dude?

Edit ^^ answered

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

A friend just asked me during a drunken cab ride home what my favorite war movie was, and that's tough as hell. I think Paths of Glory is the right response but I'm not going to be able to sleep until I think of the real answer

comme and see

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
some one should photoshop the sunglasses on Snak's avatar once he watches they live

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
its real great learning that not only was the west wing as crappy as i thought it was but i also responsible for basically killing the libs ability to live in reality

thanks chapo

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
So we meat (heh) again food posting

just had some bbq filet mignon with some chirmol and white rice

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Congrats jenny! Buena salud y mucha felicidad a los dos¡ ( good health and happyness to both of you)

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
My folks asked me to help with renovations to their basement on this fine long weekend. I would say no but i wouldnt hear the end of it later.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Or, as Hillary so eloquently put it, it's Trumped up trickle down!!!!

I can't read this without hearing felix biedernan's robotic imitation of her.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
My criterion copies of Night of the Haunter and Stalker came in the mail today.

OH BOY :D

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Beyond Thunderdome

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

But that's a good movie.

I didn't mean anything by it.

I like it despite it being more goofy than the previous films. Although as i understand it; it's not well liked or considered good.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress off you goddamn weirdo

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
...so... uh... today was my birthday? *covers face*

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm as done with Nazis as the rest of y'all, but for tonight, I just got my ticket to see the #1 GOAT movie Aguirre, the Wrath of God in 35mm.

:cool:

That's awesome, I'm a little jealous.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If I had to pick a flaw with BR2049 itd be that its too grounded. It's beautiful and definitely great, but it lacks that edge of phantasmagoria that I really like about the original Blade Runner, where the whole thing feels like the first couple moments after waking up from a weird dream and your brain hasn't fully straightened itself out yet. There's nothing in 2049 nearly as offputting and bizarre as JF Sebastian and his menagerie, for instance.

Could you elaborate?

Aside from sebastian's toys what other elements would yous say are phantasmagorical?

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 7, 2017

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

The entire climax is a nursery rhyme fever dream.

yeah i can see that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Tl;dr version because sleep beckons: everything in BR is just a little bit off, canted a few degrees from reality in ways that aren't really related to the premise at all, like how the voigt-kampff machine gasps and respires like a living thing, the apparent passage of time is completely hosed, or, as mentioned, the movie drops a loving apartment full of island of dr. Moreau living toys on you without warning and basically dares you to say poo poo. 2049, by contrast, feels like a setting with very well defined rules, and never steps outside the bounds it establishes.

Yeah i guess those elements are missing from the new movie. But i think that just means that the new movie doesn't need to have those elements. Blade runner 2049 can be just fine with its own aesthetic.

Although it has made me curious to see how those phantasmagorical elements interact with the themes of the old movie.

• Locked thread