Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

The actor who plays Robbie Rotten has a pretty serious form of cancer. :(

The We Are Number One meme actually helped raise a shitload of money for his treatments, though, so that's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Peccadillo posted:

Missed thread title opportunity:

Why the hell did he get probated for that post

e: seriously I laughed until I loving choked at that goddamn post, it's "EVERY DAY I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM..." tier

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 3, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is Vimeo as restrictive about copyrighted music (or video, for that matter, though this might be less of an issue) as Youtube is? I have an idea but putting it on Youtube is gonna be a non-starter by default.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Toebone posted:

Everyone is their avatar, thus SMG's voice is that of Richard Attenborough with a wiggly blue dong on his head.

... does everyone read my posts in the voice of all three members of The New Day shouting in unison

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean personally the main reason I want the original versions of the OT to be acknowledged is for historical preservation purposes. It's entirely possible that both the Despecialized Editions and the Team Negative1 edition of ANH will eventually be lost to time, if the seeders drop from all the torrents and the existing copies are lost to hard drive failures and general attrition; while the adage is that things last forever in the age of the Internet, there's a surprising amount that doesn't, especially where piracy is concerned.

Meanwhile, while Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back have theoretically been added to the National Film Registry, they have prints of neither movie, because Lucasfilm was only willing to offer them the Special Edition and they're fairly insistent on having the originals. Lucasfilm is so loving adamant about not letting the originals out that not even the Library of Congress has been able to talk them into it, even with it being solely in the name of preservation (the chances of somebody making a pilgrimage to the Library of Congress to watch Star Wars without the CGI are... probably higher than I'm willing to give credit for, but still, pretty drat slim).

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Exorcist was re-released six-years after its original theatrical run. This 1979 version had an 'updated' sound mix and various visual alterations. The 1973 version has never been given a home release.

This is mildly disingenuous. The 1979 and 1973 cuts of The Exorcist are, aspect ratio and sound mix aside, indistinguishable from each other; a more accurate comparison, if you intend for it to be analogous with Star Wars, would be if the Version You've Never Seen were the only widely-available cut of the film.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So: what I've written is true.

It's technically true, but it's not a particularly good argument, for the reason I outlined.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, Han shooting Greedo was changed apparently because the MPAA threatened a PG-13 re-rating. That's also why a few frames were snipped here and there to remove impacts of blaster hits. Of course, it's a moot point considering the last three Star Wars films have been rated PG-13...

For that matter, the MPAA changed THX-1138 from PG to R for the director's cut, despite the content that earned that rating was always in the film.

Wasn't the blood when Obi-Wan hacks off that one gleep-glop's arm in the cantina also taken out for that reason?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

BRRRRP Morty, Morty, it's just, it's just the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon BRRP of ostensibly adult characters engaged in presexual intimacy. I mean jeez Morty, they're BRRRRRP they're not even at the level of of Matthew Broderick in Hackers, taking his shirt off in front of a girl.

Morty.

Morty, you know what the erotic appeal of Sonic is, like for the fans? H-BRRRRP-e doesn't gently caress. Ever. Doesn't need to. Ever, Morty. It's aaaaaaall in the eyes, M-URRRRRRR-orty. Eyes and the chili dogs. Just, just looking at you and eating the chili dogs, that's sex to him. That's satisfaction.

And, and so that's why Finn and Poe will never gently caress, Morty, they'll just keep hugging and sharing clothes, even though they're like 25, 30. They just don't ne-UUUUURP-ed to.

Okay so that's the birds and the bees, now let's get that quantum impURPlant into your spine.

CP record this god drat it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

I imagine Disney would have to deliver the biggest dumpster truck full of cash at Fox's front door in order to get that released, though.

Okay, somebody tell me why this keeps coming up, because I'm pretty sure Disney already worked something out with Fox given that A New Hope is still in print on Blu-Ray. Would whatever deal they worked out only apply to the Special Editions? Because that seems kind of insane.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Fox owns the distribution rights to A New Hope forever, and the rights to the other five movies until 2020. Given that the unaltered versions of the movies are pretty much a holy grail, I'm sure Fox would demand a lot of money in exchange for giving Disney that license to print cash.

But don't they already have that license to print cash? My understanding is that when a company licenses out a film, they aren't just licensing out one particular version of the film but the film as a whole, which is how (for example) Criterion is able to do a Brazil release with like 3 different versions of the movie including the "Love Conquers All" cut. By this logic, Disney already being able to distribute A New Hope would mean that it's entirely their call when to release the unaltered version. Am I wrong on this?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

wait, why is this a bad thing

it seems like Apple's going "okay, people are gonna do this poo poo either way, what can we do to make it less awful and annoying"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 5, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Budgie Jumping posted:

Hey I know you guys like comics. What's that The Mask comic like?

It's loving dope

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy loving christ, The Unfunnies might legitimately be the worst comic book ever published. I'm not being hyperbolic here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No poo poo

It's worse than I loving expected it to be somehow

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also don't skip the fourth, The Hunt for Green October, if you like the first two. It has Big Head vs. neo-Nazis. It's exactly as loving amazing as that sounds and should have been the sequel to the movie instead of Son of the Mask.

e: nevermind, apparently it was never actually collected outside of the omnibus, which is a shame because it's probably the best Mask arc on the whole. You can get the floppies for relatively cheap on Amazon and it's piss easy to :filez:, though.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 7, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

look you are just as deep in this asinine hobby as i am you know how this poo poo works

nerds are morons

I'm pretty deep in this asinine hobby too, don't floppies tend to be more expensive than trades unless it's a super-in-demand series?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh another good remake candidate, Argento's Inferno. Suspiria's untouchable but Inferno desperately needed a stronger through-line. I'd keep all the Three Mothers stuff since that's sort of an interesting idea that wasn't explored well. Also the giant skeleton thing at the end, and the Keith Emerson theme.

Mother of Tears would be better, since Inferno still kinda rules whereas MoT was a complete botch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, I think American Ultra made me hate Max Landis a good bit less.

The main protagonist is pretty obviously a wish-fulfillment self-insert character, but... he's an oddly self-critical one. He's basically a deeply depressed recluse who literally cares about nothing but weed, his girlfriend, and cartoons, and this is pretty bluntly portrayed as Not Good. If that's how Max Landis sees himself, he's got a shitload more self-awareness than I would have guessed, and some to spare.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(also American Ultra is a surprisingly dope movie on the whole)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I liked American Ultra quite a bit. I strongly disliked the coda, and Kristen Stewart was totally wasted and her character was pretty shittily written.

yeah Kristen Stewart did not get nearly enough to do

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

My take exactly, I was just about offended by how flagrantly they wasted Walton Goggins.

I dunno, I thought he played a pretty good heavy. The last scene with him was the dumbest thing ever, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I thought it was a somewhat effective reveal that Goggins's character was mentally handicapped. Just conceptually, it drove home the idea that the government was the bad guys, and everyone else was a victim. Which is part of why the ending of "getting to be an agent" was so stupid and counter to the rest of the movie.

I don't think it's so much that getting to be an agent is a good thing. It's more that he can finally leave the town for the first time in his life. Which is kind of a hosed up "happy ending" for a character, to be honest.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Man, Running Scared is underrated as gently caress. I don't hear nearly enough about that movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress everybody go see Underworld: Blood Wars

That was the stupidest god damned movie I have ever seen and it was loving incredible

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The scene someone mentioned a while back where two dudes shoot each other a bunch and then yell so hard the bullets fly out of them is actually in the movie. It's also nowhere near the most hilarious thing that happens in the movie. It is not a good movie, but it is easily the most fun I have had seeing a movie in a very long time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah but slenderman sucks.

It's a good monster and I'd like to see somebody actually competent take the idea on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does the first Underworld hold up at all? I remember it being fun as gently caress when I was like 10 and Blood Wars gave me a hankering to rewatch it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

corn in the bible posted:

i think that the kid who played danny in the shining is good, but the kid who played danny in the shining is bad

a post by a wise man

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

married but discreet posted:

Nah he's not a nazi, no punching.

Uh, what, yes the gently caress he is

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm hopeful, but hearing that a predominantly middle-class white party had some degree of contention with the Black Panthers doesn't make me optimistic.

Are we talking the OG Panthers or the New Black Panther Party? The former, yeah, agreed, but there's legit criticisms of the latter (even if I'm actually really fond of Quanell X).

e: specifically, the NBPP is anti-Semitic as fuuuuuck. like to crazy Alex Jones levels.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress Whitey = Dickeye right?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hancock is okay. It's not perfect, and suffers a lot for trying to have its cake and eat it too, but it's a fairly enjoyable movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

Every so often I remember that Welcome Home isn't meant to be like an evil monologue sung by an evil prince from one of their concept albums, it's the main Coheed guy whining about an actual girlfriend who dumped him while the band was on tour, and I'm like... does my man have a lot more self-awareness than I'd give a prog metal singer credit for, or even less

I'm leaning "more" right now but either way it makes the song even goofier

Wait, really? I was under the impression it was from the perspective of the Writer character in the story, who isn't Claudio Sanchez but is kinda-sorta loosely based on him (with the main difference being that the Writer is a complete lunatic).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just got back from this, having never seen any of the previous 6(!???!) movies and it was the worst, most hilarious thing i have seen in a loooong while. There a part near the beginning where bad guys pop out of a loving box in the middle of the road and in my head, how i remember it, it is just plain pure comedy.

Oh my god, this and Underworld in the same month? :chanpop:

gently caress You It's January, more like gently caress Yeah It's January.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gun Woman (2014) is... interesting. I'm not gonna call it good, and it suffers really strongly from going out of its way to be as ultra-edgy as possible at all times, but I actually ended up kinda digging it in spite of itself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Death By The Blues posted:

What was your favourite terrible product tie in with the Prequels?

Doritos 3D the way to gooooooo

For some reason, I have this little guy in my room. When you pull his arms up, his tongue sticks out. I genuinely have no idea when, where, or how I got this, or why I have a Jar Jar Binks for that matter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
burger

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

My Antifa weapon of choice will be a wooden staff sort of like Gandalf's except it'll have a stun gun/electric cattle prod built into the business end.

put one in both ends and Darth Maul that poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Death By The Blues posted:

The first movie I remember being bad was Masters of Disguise or Cats & Dogs (as bad as a movie that has Goldblum can be).

The Master of Disguise is a loving crime against humanity

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Also never forget that the turtle club scene was filmed on 9/11.

A new contender for "worst thing ever to happen on 9/11"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Most of these "embarassing" picks are pretty tame, honestly. I mean, I went through a Combichrist phase, and that's not even the worst of it.

I have a weird soft spot for Combichrist honestly, though I feel like, similarly to Marduk and other artists that use lots of Nazi imagery, it'd be really uncomfortable to listen to in 2017

• Locked thread