Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like to think that when I am 70 and 80 I will not be one of those clueless people constantly worried about his pills, or fixed income, or adult diapers, or teenagers, or the robot uprising.... but how do I check myself if I start doing those things? How does 45 year old me convince 70 year old me that he is being an idiot, and make it stick?

I don't want to have a 1 degree window of what makes soup neither too hot, nor too cold.

I don't want to be so clueless as to not understand why they aren't making movies loud enough any more.

How do we check ourselves before we wreck ourselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
keep loving and sucking

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
As long as you remember the sort of poo poo that drives you nuts, and run your own behavior through that filter, you'll be fine.

I'm 49, and my body's starting to fall apart from years of manual labor, but I don't ever talk about it, because.....people babbling about their goddamn medical issues are irritating as gently caress.

When you see young people doing poo poo that appears stupid, just remember what a goddamn moron you, yourself were at that age and put a sock in it.

Always keep in mind that things are ever-changing and just because things are different, doesn't make them worse. It's a little harder to adapt as you get older, but it's a lot easier when you make it a priority and you're used to it.

Don't hang out with idiots, it'll rub off on you. My best friend is 64 with serious heart issues; he doesn't talk about it because he spends his time working on old racing motorcycles and going to punk rock shows. I can only hope I'm as cool as he is in 15 years.

I had more but I forgot because I'm old.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The secret is to live fast, die young, and leave a nice corpse.

Sounds like you've hosed up all three of those directions already though OP :sigh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0EyJpt63I

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
get a skateboard.

ride the skateboard.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
seriously though JnnyThndrs made a good post.

i'll add to that by saying that you should keep your rear end busy as a senior. if your line of work allows it (and if you dont hate what you do), don't just quit but part time it. im only 12 y/o, but after i "retire" i figure ill still put in a day or two a week until im dead and gay in the ground.

also, never stop learning. there seems to be a negative correlation between level of education and dementia risk, though im not sure how strong it is for late starters. can't hurt though! as you start slowing down, audit courses at your local university. be the 70 y/o who dunks on the undergrads in orgo. learn to make meth. make meth.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Always be buying milk

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Soup du Journey posted:

seriously though JnnyThndrs made a good post.

i'll add to that by saying that you should keep your rear end busy as a senior. if your line of work allows it (and if you dont hate what you do), don't just quit but part time it. im only 12 y/o, but after i "retire" i figure ill still put in a day or two a week until im dead and gay in the ground.

also, never stop learning. there seems to be a negative correlation between level of education and dementia risk, though im not sure how strong it is for late starters. can't hurt though! as you start slowing down, audit courses at your local university. be the 70 y/o who dunks on the undergrads in orgo. learn to make meth. make meth.

My dad was still commercially fishing full time in Alaska and didn't retire until his late 70's, keeping busy and engaged helps keep you young.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Having a motorcycle probably correlates well with being mentally sharp and physically spry in your 70s because the minute you take your mind off the road you're bound to get murdered by a snapchatting teen who just ran a stop sign

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
When I get old I will

1 - Play the videogames. All of them. Finally I will have time to play an MMO again and call young people little shits over voice coms

2 - Experiment with drugs

3 - Spend my pension on doing weird stuff with prostitutes since my wife is long dead

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
They whole payoff of getting old is being able to scream at nurses about how your remote control is too cold, and demanding that your pills are served crushed in a cup of tapioca with a pinch of nutmeg. If you don't spend your last days doddering around behind strangers children cackling about how "I saw you cut the tails off of those cats you little poo poo", your entire life has led to nothing.

*Oh, also getting away with vehicular manslaughter because the judge feels sorry for you is gonna be a sweet deal too.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
When I'm an adult I'm gonna make sure to learn all the teenage slang and use it constantly.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GORDON posted:

I like to think that when I am 70 and 80 I will not be one of those clueless people constantly worried about his pills, or fixed income, or adult diapers, or teenagers, or the robot uprising.... but how do I check myself if I start doing those things? How does 45 year old me convince 70 year old me that he is being an idiot, and make it stick?

I don't want to have a 1 degree window of what makes soup neither too hot, nor too cold.

I don't want to be so clueless as to not understand why they aren't making movies loud enough any more.

How do we check ourselves before we wreck ourselves?

Do you have any friends in that age range now? I'm not talking about people you know in passing, I'm talking guys you call up when you want to go out and do something.

I'm in my 30's and have 3 friends in their 80's that like to go out and do stuff. They also go to the gym and lift weights/exercise every morning. I imagine that has something to do with their active lifestyle.

Go exercise every day OP and you'll be better for it, even into your 80's.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Its a slow burn op & its already happening to you. You cant change the cruel tides of age....

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Kids :rolleyes:

The secret to aging gracefully is 210 smoke weed every other day.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

Kids :rolleyes:

The secret to aging gracefully is 210 smoke weed every other day.

Why every other day? I hear if you smoke it every day it works like a reverse Benjamin Button and you get younger

Wait... is that right? I smoke weed every day so I forget a lot

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you're not obsolete at 80, something has gone terribly wrong with either you or the world, or probably both.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
You can be one of the good olds, if you make your grumbly complaints like "My soup is too moist!" or "Soup used to be moister..." just anything along those lines

And do something like nonromantically gay-marry your bachelor friend so their/your successful (independent, wife+kids, all vices or infantilisms socially approved, able-bodied and sane) twin brother's family can be rich from triple-SS fraud payments after you two quietly die.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Be healthy. Keep your brain stimulated, art, math, ect. If your doing mindless tasks all your life, you reap what you sow. Also have friends, eat right, and create a good balance of everything in your life. It sounds simple, but honestly the people who are in their 90s and feeling young have worked hard at creating a productive and healthy life.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Keg posted:

Having a motorcycle probably correlates well with being mentally sharp and physically spry in your 70s because the minute you take your mind off the road you're bound to get murdered by a snapchatting teen who just ran a stop sign

Most of the older motorcyclists I've met while riding are pretty sharp old guys especially the 60-70 year olds that still ride sport bikes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you have surprisingly little control over the decay of your body & mind so focus on other things i guess ?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
but yeah, don't blame the world because your hearing is shot. i hate that poo poo

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have less than 4 yrs till retirement.

1. Im one of the few old dudes lifting 90pd+ dumbells among all the young lions. Getting asked to spot them makes my day.

2. Whenever I get the chance to play an instrument in a public space it's always a young person that inevitably says they wish they could play a guitar, piano blah blah blah. Still draws women to me like flies on honey & I still suck as much as I did 20+ years ago.

3. Switched from cigars to mostly pipes. Smoke mostly aromatics when not alone & have never had any SJW pontificate to me about the "dangers" of 2nd hand smoke. They love my vanilla/highland whiskey cavendish blends.

4. Switched from beer to scotch or rums. Can't drink like I'm still in college anymore. I haven't had a beer since the summer.

5. I dress a lot better now. More sport jackets/ brogues & less hoodies/nikes now. I now know how to tie a Eldridge or Trinity knot and look for award to black tie events.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

JnnyThndrs posted:

As long as you remember the sort of poo poo that drives you nuts, and run your own behavior through that filter, you'll be fine.

I'm 49, and my body's starting to fall apart from years of manual labor, but I don't ever talk about it, because.....people babbling about their goddamn medical issues are irritating as gently caress.

When you see young people doing poo poo that appears stupid, just remember what a goddamn moron you, yourself were at that age and put a sock in it.

Always keep in mind that things are ever-changing and just because things are different, doesn't make them worse. It's a little harder to adapt as you get older, but it's a lot easier when you make it a priority and you're used to it.

Don't hang out with idiots, it'll rub off on you. My best friend is 64 with serious heart issues; he doesn't talk about it because he spends his time working on old racing motorcycles and going to punk rock shows. I can only hope I'm as cool as he is in 15 years.

I had more but I forgot because I'm old.

All of this, except the reverse.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I know a few mid-to-late 60s dude who eat right, exercise, and look like they're in their 40s. I wish I'd end up like them, but I'm going to die of cirrhosis or heart disease before 55 so I guess I dont need to worry about getting old

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
im pretty sure being real old is what all comedians aspire to

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

I have less than 4 yrs till retirement.

1. Im one of the few old dudes lifting 90pd+ dumbells among all the young lions. Getting asked to spot them makes my day.

2. Whenever I get the chance to play an instrument in a public space it's always a young person that inevitably says they wish they could play a guitar, piano blah blah blah. Still draws women to me like flies on honey & I still suck as much as I did 20+ years ago.

3. Switched from cigars to mostly pipes. Smoke mostly aromatics when not alone & have never had any SJW pontificate to me about the "dangers" of 2nd hand smoke. They love my vanilla/highland whiskey cavendish blends.

4. Switched from beer to scotch or rums. Can't drink like I'm still in college anymore. I haven't had a beer since the summer.

5. I dress a lot better now. More sport jackets/ brogues & less hoodies/nikes now. I now know how to tie a Eldridge or Trinity knot and look for award to black tie events.

These don't look good and never will, only the gooniest and broiest do them

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Die at 69

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Whatever your plans are for getting old, you might want to put some kinda bunker or fallout shelter in there.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Kuato posted:

I know a few mid-to-late 60s dude who eat right, exercise, and look like they're in their 40s. I wish I'd end up like them, but I'm going to die of cirrhosis or heart disease before 55 so I guess I dont need to worry about getting old

I have an uncle who thought the same, he's about to be 70. Just sitting on a piss mat, waiting around to die.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i need to get my drinking under control and hit the gym more often for real

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Alcor recently did an experiment where they took out a rabbit's kidney and preserved it using the method they've been using on people. Then they thawed it out and put it back in the rabbit, and it still worked. So there's a sporting chance that at least some of us may live to see the first frozen corpse live again.

Then there's also Google's immortality initiative:

https://www.calicolabs.com/

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sonny sounds cool as gently caress but you don't get a body like that at 70 without some primo roids.

But I guess gently caress it, dude's 70, may as well pump himself full of that poo poo if it keeps him feeling young.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Bardeh posted:

Sonny sounds cool as gently caress but you don't get a body like that at 70 without some primo roids.

How do u know :smug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bardeh posted:

But I guess gently caress it, dude's 70, may as well pump himself full of that poo poo if it keeps him feeling young.

You can do it with just testosterone. And once you get to 70's/80's doctors are like: "It's not going to make any difference at this point. Do whatever you want."

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Steroids are really really good. That's why professional athletes use them.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Not all old people are crazy whiny stupid fuckos, but you really notice the ones who are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

You can do it with just testosterone. And once you get to 70's/80's doctors are like: "It's not going to make any difference at this point. Do whatever you want."

After 65, high testosterone has been linked to cognitive degeneration. Before that point, it's good for ur brain tho.

• Locked thread