Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's getting an Asian English release too so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

The Gintama-est thing to do would be a reskin of a DBZ fighting game with unchanged movesets, and all voice acting recorded over the course of a single afternoon. Only one take allowed per line.
Madao being the weakest or having a cardboard armor

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Bumping because we've got confirmation that new season begins in October 1st

Also I highly recommend you watch the Live Action on theaters, if your country has it. It's Pretty Good, terrible japanese CGI notwithstanding, they're making a killing on the movie rankings.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Some art from the incoming anime

https://twitter.com/gintamamovie/status/907886265428729857

Kagura's Boyfriend arc guys

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want to see Hasegawa and the hitman

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

And we're back

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad Kemono Friends is now as worthy of being ripped off as all the popular battle shounen.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

it's going to be weird watching new episodes where i've already read the manga chapters for.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/915812006879522816

quote:

Early purchases will include a download code to use the “Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon” in the game.
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/10/gintama-rumble-launches-january-18-japan#VXDiSd7dYrP4H93z.99

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
DLC-ing a Dick Joke. :swoon:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did they show any gameplay? Would like to know what kind of game it's gonna be.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did they show any gameplay? Would like to know what kind of game it's gonna be.

They did now.

https://youtu.be/0LM9x5fj6to

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was hoping for Yakuza Gintama Edition.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Was hoping for Yakuza Gintama Edition.
Would've made too much sense, taking into account that they both take place in the same district.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm so disappointed.

e: lol I just realized they called him Shinichi in the TL note. Classic gintama scanlation team.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 13, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Strange Quark posted:

I'm so disappointed.

e: lol I just realized they called him Shinichi in the TL note. Classic gintama scanlation team.

What the gently caress

As for the new episode I forgot how ridiculous the last half of that fight got and they're actually working on the final arc.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m not sure how to feel about the fact we’re almost at the final arc being animated because so far the final arc has been very rude to some good boys. And some not so good boys.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The manga's still going, right? The final arc must be real long then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

The manga's still going, right? The final arc must be real long then.
The final arc has been going on since at least mid 2016 and supposedly the anime starts covering it in January. The anime seems to have a pretty good pacing overall, so I'm guessing that they're gonna spread the final arc over a 24-to-26 episode, 2 cour season.

Also, reposting from the Shokugeki no Souma thread (who also's had its share of really long arcs that could use some serious trimming when they make it into anime).

Wark Say posted:

He has a winning smile!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looks like the first episode of Saiki Kusuo next season will involve some sort of crossover with Gintama.

https://twitter.com/saikikusuo_PR/status/940035032952987648

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is that any good? I expect to have a Gintama-shaped hole in my heart in the next couple months, and I could use something to fill the gap.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, it’s really good high pace comedy, though Gintama is also airing the final arc next season too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wow I didn't think they would start on the final arc so soon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The preview alone has me hype

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought when I finished the manga that I'd enjoy the plot of the show less, but thats absolutely not the case

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Wow I didn't think they would start on the final arc so soon.

They've pretty much ran out of standalone episodes to animate. For Slip Arc they animated all bar one chapter, which they're probably leaving for an OVA or bluray special.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ignis posted:

They've pretty much ran out of standalone episodes to animate. For Slip Arc they animated all bar one chapter, which they're probably leaving for an OVA or bluray special.

I know, it's just I thought there would have been a longer break after the end of the glasses arc.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

After the end of the glasses arc.
His name is Shinpachi! :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Seeing as how this thread isn't too active I'm gonna bump it with a simple question. I've been meaning to watch Gintama with years, and have finally begun watching it the last week and am currently up to episode 25 (so long, first OP, you were fantastic) and recall asking whether it was good here about 3 or 4 years ago and being linked to a clip on YouTube that I'm interested in watching again. I'll come across the scene in question sooner or later given I'm watching (and enjoying) it in order, but I'm just wondering if someone can identify it now off hand. The only thing I can remember is quite generic, but it's of Gintama and one or two of the others running down a corridor as several traps go off, including, I think, a spiked object of some kind rolling after them. I thought it might be in either the episode with the ghost (actually an Amanto) inside the Shinsengumi HQ or maybe in the home of the Amanto that Sachan was pretending was her father to fool Gintama when watching those episodes, but they didn't have anything similar to what I remember.

Regardless, I'm loving what I've seen so far and curious how much better it'll get soon given that the OP indicates the show evens out and becomes more enjoyable overall after episode 30 given I'm already really enjoying what I'm seeing. The Death Note episode I watched last night, with the cast celebrating renewal around a hot pot and spending the opening 2 minutes doing voice overs to a still shot of the outside of their house before finishing with Kagura complaining that pork is probably nicer than beef after eating the whole dish was fantastic. I'm not even a fan of Death Note, but everyone competing to be the Nabe Shogun was great. As is Elizabeth just coming back as if she's always been just a pet despite being revealed to probably (or at least, initially) be an old man in an outfit only a few episodes prior. And the new (to me) ED of Elizabeth dancing in the rain.

One other question I suppose. Gintama is primarily a comedy show, but I got the feeling from mentions over the years it has some action/shoneny bits, with more serious arcs or fights that go on a few episodes and I'm just curious if their action is as good as the show's comedy and when the first such fight happens since I wouldn't mind seeing Gin and Kagura fight semi-seriously now that they've been established.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 8, 2018

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

tsob posted:

Seeing as how this thread isn't too active I'm gonna bump it with a simple question. I've been meaning to watch Gintama with years, and have finally begun watching it the last week and am currently up to episode 25 (so long, first OP, you were fantastic) and recall asking whether it was good here about 3 or 4 years ago and being linked to a clip on YouTube that I'm interested in watching again. I'll come across the scene in question sooner or later given I'm watching (and enjoying) it in order, but I'm just wondering if someone can identify it now off hand. The only thing I can remember is quite generic, but it's of Gintama and one or two of the others running down a corridor as several traps go off, including, I think, a spiked object of some kind rolling after them. I thought it might be in either the episode with the ghost (actually an Amanto) inside the Shinsengumi HQ or maybe in the home of the Amanto that Sachan was pretending was her father to fool Gintama when watching those episodes, but they didn't have anything similar to what I remember.

It sounds like 85, which is the second half of a two-parter.

quote:

One other question I suppose. Gintama is primarily a comedy show, but I got the feeling from mentions over the years it has some action/shoneny bits, with more serious arcs or fights that go on a few episodes and I'm just curious if their action is as good as the show's comedy and when the first such fight happens since I wouldn't mind seeing Gin and Kagura fight semi-seriously now that they've been established.

When I got to the first serious arc I was really impressed by it, but it's been long eclipsed by similar arcs. The animation doesn't usually get above serviceable in the 4:3 era, but there are still some really nice looking shots.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thing is, gintama has a massive number of arcs. some worked, some didn't.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

HARD-BOILED. :frogc00l:

Unshou Ishizuka probably has the best "Rambunctious Ossan" voice I've heard from any of the guys his age. I love it. :allears:

Strange Quark posted:

When I got to the first serious arc I was really impressed by it, but it's been long eclipsed by similar arcs. The animation doesn't usually get above serviceable in the 4:3 era, but there are still some really nice looking shots.

The best part of that scene happens outside of the location and I still think it was one of the most brilliant scenes Gintama ever did. Also, the use of "Arega, Shiroyasha!!" was on point. :black101:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Regardless, I'm loving what I've seen so far and curious how much better it'll get soon given that the OP indicates the show evens out and becomes more enjoyable overall after episode 30 given I'm already really enjoying what I'm seeing. The Death Note episode I watched last night, with the cast celebrating renewal around a hot pot and spending the opening 2 minutes doing voice overs to a still shot of the outside of their house before finishing with Kagura complaining that pork is probably nicer than beef after eating the whole dish was fantastic. I'm not even a fan of Death Note, but everyone competing to be the Nabe Shogun was great. As is Elizabeth just coming back as if she's always been just a pet despite being revealed to probably (or at least, initially) be an old man in an outfit only a few episodes prior. And the new (to me) ED of Elizabeth dancing in the rain.

The reason it improves so much after 30 or so is because it takes that long to introduce a good chunk of the characters in the show tbh. If you liked what you saw in the first 30 episodes, you'll love the rest of the series. It is that same dynamic but taken up to another level. The sad moments are legitimately sad, the happy moments are happy, there are a ton of funny moments throughout the whole thing, some romance, a lot of cool fighting, etc. Its a drat good series.

And yes - there is definitely some shonen. There is also a some shonen parody in there too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Strange Quark posted:

That was it, thanks.

eonwe posted:

And yes - there is definitely some shonen. There is also a some shonen parody in there too.

So when's the first action-y arc then? I'm loving the comedy, but a bit of action to look forward to will be nice as well.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the Benizakura arc, 58-61. It took two years in the manga to get to it because the author wasn't sure the audience would be receptive to a shift like it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its an arc so good it brought back gintama from being cancelled when they did a benizakura movie I think

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Cool. It'll probably take me a week or two to get to it since Netflix just uploaded the second season of Dirk Gently and I have some other stuff to do but it's something a little different from the comedy of normal Gintama to look forward to.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

That was it, thanks.

So when's the first action-y arc then? I'm loving the comedy, but a bit of action to look forward to will be nice as well.
51-52 is pretty good, but don't miss out on Episode 50, which is one of the first Best "Main characters all suggest how to make the show better" episodes. If you want an arc that goes for 3-4 Episodes, though? You gotta go with Benizakura, which goes from episodes 58-61 and has also been adapted into not one but two different films! The animated one from 2010 and a live-action one from last year. It's a really cool arc whichever way you choose to experience it.

e: Beaten not once, but twice! I'm truly nothing but a D.O.R.K. :negative:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, I'll be watching it all in order for however long that takes so I'll get to both at some point. Thanks for the advice though you big D.O.R.K. Also, it pleases me looking through Crunchyroll listings for the latest episode and noticing the screen caps have pictures of several characters that seem pretty minor and would be easy to leave behind now but obviously haven't been, like Hasegawa. I do wonder how he'll have changed (or if he has) over 300 more episodes, but that's part of the fun. And makes me wonder if even more minor characters like Yamazaki and the weird alien who loves animals that really shouldn't be pets will still be around then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The ed for the silver soul arc is loving cool.