Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

The gag is that Gintoki and Kintoki's voice actors are inseparable BFFs irl who have also played opposing roles in other shows, so having Nakamura play Sugita's so-called perfect counterpart makes total sense as a casting decision.

Despite the fact that Nakamura constantly tells people that he and Sugita are not that close, they're such good bros, it's almost hilarious that he keeps 'denying' it.

Thinking back on it, Sugita tends to be super bros with almost anybody he interacts with on a constant basis and almost every other acquaintance that I have in common with him in the Tokyo/Chiba/Saitama area (other voice actors, recording engineers, producers, composers, etc) tend to speak of him really fondly.

But yeah, I'm pumped for more Gintama!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

that is :3: as gently caress

Here's a somewhat well known thing that has both of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTC7W6US_W4

(Dude in the middle is Takahiro Sakurai, who played Makishima in Psycho-Pass and Rohan in Last Year's JoJo)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, you guys: The Gintama anime has been running for 11 years. 11 Years of dick and vag jokes, poop jokes, pop-culture references, blatant rip-offs, idiocy, heartwarming moments and some instances where I honestly thought "HOLY poo poo, THE SHOW ABOUT DICK JOKES IS MAKING ME TEAR UP".

Doggone, I'm gonna miss you, Gintama. You and your penchant for gross-out humor and hairy places.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

Here's the new OP (too loving cute) and ED for the reruns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryj4C2Jd0xw
Is Gintoki doing that pose a reference to the 1st Volume Cover at about 1:22? :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

Poster and trailer revealed for the live action movie

https://twitter.com/gintama_film/status/856236241280409600

Is that a Dumb Old Retarded Kook Fumihiko Tachiki?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't the manga ending soon-ish, as well?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's in WSJ, so I'm guessing that, unless he's like Oda (who takes a week off every month and whole month off after an arc is over, if I don't misremember) or Togashi (who has to at least pump enough chapters to get a volume out every year), Sorachi has to keep pumping chapters out on a weekly basis, more or less. I stopped following the manga after Gintama° (the season that started on April 8, 2015 and Finished on March 30, 2016) started airing, but I heard that the "Final" Arc started around July 2016.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

The Gintama-est thing to do would be a reskin of a DBZ fighting game with unchanged movesets, and all voice acting recorded over the course of a single afternoon. Only one take allowed per line.
Madao being the weakest or having a cardboard armor

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
DLC-ing a Dick Joke. :swoon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was hoping for Yakuza Gintama Edition.
Would've made too much sense, taking into account that they both take place in the same district.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

The manga's still going, right? The final arc must be real long then.
The final arc has been going on since at least mid 2016 and supposedly the anime starts covering it in January. The anime seems to have a pretty good pacing overall, so I'm guessing that they're gonna spread the final arc over a 24-to-26 episode, 2 cour season.

Also, reposting from the Shokugeki no Souma thread (who also's had its share of really long arcs that could use some serious trimming when they make it into anime).

Wark Say posted:

He has a winning smile!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

After the end of the glasses arc.
His name is Shinpachi! :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

It sounds like 85, which is the second half of a two-parter.

HARD-BOILED. :frogc00l:

Unshou Ishizuka probably has the best "Rambunctious Ossan" voice I've heard from any of the guys his age. I love it. :allears:

Strange Quark posted:

When I got to the first serious arc I was really impressed by it, but it's been long eclipsed by similar arcs. The animation doesn't usually get above serviceable in the 4:3 era, but there are still some really nice looking shots.

The best part of that scene happens outside of the location and I still think it was one of the most brilliant scenes Gintama ever did. Also, the use of "Arega, Shiroyasha!!" was on point. :black101:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

That was it, thanks.

So when's the first action-y arc then? I'm loving the comedy, but a bit of action to look forward to will be nice as well.
51-52 is pretty good, but don't miss out on Episode 50, which is one of the first Best "Main characters all suggest how to make the show better" episodes. If you want an arc that goes for 3-4 Episodes, though? You gotta go with Benizakura, which goes from episodes 58-61 and has also been adapted into not one but two different films! The animated one from 2010 and a live-action one from last year. It's a really cool arc whichever way you choose to experience it.

e: Beaten not once, but twice! I'm truly nothing but a D.O.R.K. :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

Well, as for the new episode...

...it's poop.
:geno:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

It’s poop.
That's pretty much it. :effort:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

I love how comfortable the Odd Jobs guys have gotten with the Shinsengumi. You’d never see something like Kagura joining in with Okita to give Hijikata poo poo before.
To be fair, giving Hijikata poo poo is a walk in the park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYoL40ZkOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP5pqlsoxJ4

:mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So right at home, then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mabels big day posted:

So the manga is actually over?
Nope. Still ongoing.

Probably they're just deciding. "Welp, this arc's end is as good a wrap-up point as it'll be" Kinda like how the 2011 HxH anime stopped where it did.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

gintama will never abandon time skip jokes
Or that one "We were obviously stalling for time when we came up with this but gently caress it, now it's a time-honored tradition" pre-intro where it's just Gintoki, Shinpachi and Kagura exchanging places with Sugita, Sakaguchi and Kugimiya while all we see is the door sign for Yorozuya.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

Question for the manga readers; it looks like the anime could be wrapped up in a few episodes but from what I hear the manga's still going. Does this look to be an anime-only ending or what?
If what the scanlating group claiming is true, the manga is ending in about 4 chapters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
15 years of dick jokes, pop-culture references, 4th wall breaks... and I'm still going to miss this manga/anime whenever it ends. :sadwave:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think this Engrishy image I found forever and a day ago sums it up pretty well

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn. This series keeps finding new ways to playing with my emotions. It's not healthy. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's why I love it, tbh.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:geno: "Jump died, too"
:argh: "Oi!"

You can almost hear Daisuke Sakaguchi start with that, "Oi!" :mmmhmm:

Well, holy poo poo. I'm at a loss. Over a decade of following this series now. Thanks, Gorilla. :sadwave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm gonna reread this whole crazy thing to keep from going crazy thanks to social distancing.
Just remember to mind your sugar levels.