Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Episode 5 is out!:siren:

:siren:Your Clementine is Evolving! Gotta Catch'em All!:siren:
Clementine Card Counter: 25

Season 3 Release Dates:

Episode 1 - December 20, 2016 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Episode 2 - December 20, 2016 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Episode 3 - March 28, 2017 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Episode 4 - April 25, 2017 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Episode 5 - May 30, 2017 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Season 1 Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480887
Season 2 Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597316

Telltale's The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead is an episodic video game series based on the comic books by Robert Kirkman. While the Telltale game series takes place in the same universe as the comics, there is very little connection to the comic story itself (as of yet at least), aside from a few cameos. The gameplay consists primarily of timed dialogue decisions with some QTE's thrown in for spice. As with most Telltale games, this one is centered around choices. While some of those choices will make minor branches in the story, the overall track will have you winding up in the same place. The decisions are primarily used for building relationships with other characters, which will affect their attitudes and actions towards your character. There are some very, and I do stress VERY minor puzzles to be solved in these games, but nothing that will serve as a roadblock to progress.

All said and done, I really enjoy this series, especially the first season, and am really looking forward to seeing what they do with Season 3.

:siren:Season 1 has been out for over 4 years, and Season 2 has been out for over 2 years. That being said, untagged spoilers for those two seasons may be posted here! Read on at your own risk....:siren:

The Seasons

• Season 1

Season 1 was comprised of 5 episodes, released between April-November of 2012 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

You play as Lee Everett, a man on his way to prison, when all hell breaks loose. The beginning of the plague. While trying to find safety, he comes across Clementine, a little girl who was caught up in this alone after her parents had went on vacation. Lee takes her into his charge, and together you have to try and survive, both the dead and the living. This season focuses on having Clementine serve as a moral compass for the player, while they make decisions as to how Lee reacts to certain things and people. The writing, and execution of this are superb, and while the decisions you make don't affect the main events of the story, the subtle changes that occur are quite satisfying and well thought out. After playing, it's easy to see how Season One of The Walking Dead won over 90 Game of the Year Awards.

• 400 Days

400 Days is an add-on to Season 1, released July 2, 2013 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

400 Days was meant to roughly bridge the gap between Seasons 1 & 2. The story revolves around a chain of events that connect at a gas station in Georgia. The game is comprised of 5 different characters, all taking place at a different point in time from Day 0 of the outbreak, to Day 400. Even with all 5 stories together, the play time on this is a little less than a full episode of Season 1 proper. However, it does serve as a bridge to certain events in Season 2.

• Season 2

Season 2 was comprised of 5 episodes, released between December 2013, and August 2014 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

For Season 2, you now play as Clementine, the girl that you helped protect and raise in Season 1. A little over a year and a half has gone by since the end of Season 1, and you find yourself traveling with Christa, one of the supporting characters from S1. You are quickly separated however, and must guide Clementine through a series of events on her own. Some of the decisions you made in S1 will alter Clementine's responses and dialogue this time around, as to how she reacts to people and situations.

This season was met with overall positive reviews. It is generally stated that the storyline, the manner of it's presentation, and a severe lack of any of the puzzles from Season 1 make this fall a little lower on the scale than it's predecessor. That being said, I, personally, still enjoyed this season. Episode 1 had my hopes VERY high, with the two drastically different types of responses you could give as Clementine. Do you try and be honest, and on the up and up with everybody? Or do you manipulate and blackmail to get what you need? Good start. However, it seems that the writers of each episode differed A LOT in how they wanted to present Clementine, so these choices were severely toned down from Episode 2 and on. All that being said, if you're a fan of the first season, you should definitely give this a try, as it's not bad at all.

• Season 3 - A New Frontier

Season 3 will be made up of 5 episodes. Episodes 1 & 2 were released on December 20, 2016

In Season 3 we take control of a new character, Javi. The bulk of the story takes place approximately 1 1/2 years after the end of Season 2 (4 years after the start of the outbreak). Certain decisions that you made in Season 1 & 2 will slightly change the presentation of certain events in Season 3.

FAQ
  • Do I need to play the first two seasons to understand Season 3?
    Nope! These seasons are meant to be stand-alone games, each with their own story. While they are related to each other, having played the previous 2 is not required to enjoy Season 3. (Although it's always nice knowing a little backstory!)

• What about the comics, or the show?
    Nope. The benefit you'd gain by having read/watched them would be even less than that of having played the previous two seasons. There are some cameos and references to the characters/story of the comics, but recognizing them as cameos does not have an affect on the game at all.

• QTE's......please no button mashing
    Don't worry, the QTE's in this game are not extreme keyboard breaking button mashing parties. They are short, and very easy on the thumbs!

• It says the story is tailored to the choices I make...just how much can I change the story?
    Well, as far as the overall story is concerned...not much. To expand on this, while the story itself is pretty much written, your interactions with the characters, and how you react to certain situations is NOT. How you decide to play will change the attitudes of characters around you. Choosing option A, over Option B may not change the overall story, but the events, and characters that accompany you just might! It's nothing that is going to completely blow your mind, but it is enough to keep things interesting for a couple of playthroughs, in Season 1 especially. It's not so much of a "good vs. evil" type thing either. When you're playing, especially on your initial playthrough, try to pick the choice that you yourself would make, and not dwell on/restart to make a different selection. Make your choice, live with it, and see how it plays out! There's always a second playthrough for alternate options. Part of the fun of these games is making choices you yourself would make, and seeing just how that pans out.

• Any technical issues that pop up will go here, if need be, as they're pointed out in the thread.
    • Tech Issue #1! - Upon downloading Episode 3, many users across all platforms are experience either complete loss of their save file, glitchy/major game crash during the intro, infinite loading screen, or any combination of the above.
      • SOLVED - Unfortunately, the only fix I'm aware of now, is to completely delete BOTH the game, AND save files from your storage medium. That being said, if you back up your save file to a thumb drive, or even PS Plus online storage, and redownload it after freshly installing the game, you should be able to salvage it and play normally.

Speaking of technical issues......

Seriously, a lot of the character models have issues holding their weapons.

All that being said.....

I really enjoyed a lot of the discussion that came out of the last thread while the episodes were being released, and hopefully Season 3 has enough decent material for us to talk about here! Plus, without Season 2, we wouldn't have these charmers:

Or for that matter, the true ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiaWzLZbleo

Anyway, happy posting!

:siren:Episode 5 Clementine Cards:siren:

At the end of Episode 5, along with reviewing your choices, your also given a Clementine Card that shows what "Your Clementine Became...."

I'm not 100% sure on the exact number of these things, but so far, there are 25 known cards. Here's a compiled list of cards found so far.

And here is a formula that a reddit user came up with that makes a lot of sense regarding how these cards are decided.

"SwixSwax posted:

I think I've determined what affects Clem's decision to either stay with Javi or make her own decision.
It would seem that your Season 2 ending locks you into a set number of Your Clem profiles. From there, your decisions during the Clem flashbacks have the final say. Judging from the flavour text, the three key decision points that determine your Clem are:
  • Accepting or Rejecting Ava's Offer
  • Injecting AJ or Obeying the Rules
  • Saying Goodbye to AJ or Spitting on David
If you accept Ava's offer and inject AJ, your Clem will be loyal and she will follow Javi's lead.
If you accept Ava's offer and obey them with AJ, your Clem will be understanding and will go after Gabe.
If you reject Ava's offer and inject AJ, your Clem will be levelheaded and will go wherever Javi doesn't.
If you reject Ava's offer and obey them with AJ, your Clem will be forgiving and will, again, go after Gabe.
If you reject Ava's offer, inject AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be cold and will go with Kate.
If you reject Ava's offer, obey them with AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be honest and will, again, go wherever Javi doesn't.
If you accept Ava's offer, inject AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be bold and will, again, follow Javi's lead.
If you accept Ava's offer, obey them with AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be just and will, again, go with Kate.

As such, it would appear that our Season 2 endings have less say in the Season 3 ending than it would initially seem in that they only really influence which set of Your Clem profiles you'll have access to. In theory, there are four distinct routes with eight unique profiles which can be unlocked depending on your choices, meaning that there are 32 Your Clem screens out there waiting to be unlocked.

BMS fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, but right now I'm not feeling it. I like that they made Clem a supporting character. The rest of the cast are kind of a swing and a miss.

I understand why they start with a flashback, but the main character really doesn't come favorably out of that intro. He gets hosed over by traffic because it's the zombie apocalypse, but dude, your dad's sick and has probably been for weeks. Be there for your family. Then, there's the fight with the brother where he's either a verbal punching bag or a literal one. Maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I didn't like him. It's like if you started season 1 with Lee confronting his wife. I think they'd be better off skipping it. The following scene is better and goes some way to make him kind of okay.

The choices need to step things up too. I've only played episode 1, but I haven't been caught between two hard or interesting choices yet. It's been the obvious choice, and the one for disappointing Clem, which no one picks. There were 80/20 and 90/10 splits when I played. That's no fun. At least the previous seasons were going for 50/50 splits outside of loving up with Carly and Dough. Not that it's important to me what other people pick, but it says something about the quality of the choices. TWD has been good at making you agonize over your options.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 3, 2017

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Donnerberg posted:

The choices need to step things up too. I've only played episode 1, but I haven't been caught between two hard or interesting choices yet. It's been the obvious choice, and the one for disappointing Clem, which no one picks. There were 80/20 and 90/10 splits when I played. That's no fun. At least the previous seasons were going for 50/50 splits outside of loving up with Carly and Doug. Not that it's important to me what other people pick, but it says something about the quality of the choices. TWD has been good at making you agonize over your options.

Yeah, that is a big thing with me, all of the choices that involve Clementine are HEAVILY weighed by the players' past experiences with that character. So much so that 80%-95% decided in favor of Clementine in all decisions. Lying for her when she accidentally blew the trader's head off, staying with her during the shootout, and killing Conrad. Granted, maybe a deciding factor was Gabe being held at gunpoint....but still..

So here's a link to an interview with Melissa Hutchison, that took place a few days ago, discussing ANF: http://fanfest.com/2017/01/03/walking-dead-cast-247-the-walking-dead-a-new-frontier-melissa-hutchison/

For those that don't care to sift through the hour and 20 minutes of this interview, here's a nice summary I found on the Telltale forums:

quote:

Speaker: "There's not enough Clementine"

Meli: "I agree"

Meli: (Talking about the alone flashbacks/finger.) "We only saw it get crushed we didn't see it come off....we haven't gotten to that part ye---" Then she gets cut off by the speaker. Another flashback awaiting?

Meli: (Talking about episode length) " I was sad when the first episode ended I was like what the gently caress? Really? That was so short! I liked the pace I thought it was a really good pace but I was like... oh. It only took like an hour to play through the first episode. Considering each episode of S2 was about an hour and a half to two hours. So I have to admit I was a little..---

Speaker: "--that's why they released e1 and 2?"

Meli: "....yeaaahh... they did that, uh, well there was so much rewriting these episodes, where, I didn't know what was going to be left in them and what wasn't. They were going in a totally different direction with episode---"

Speaker: "--What was it?" (the direction)

Meli: "--There was a kind of Carver-esk character. And it's kind of a bummer because there were some really awesome recordings of that. Kind of the backstory of me and AJ getting separated, and there was some legitimate, like, awesome emotional scenes which I'm sure got cut."

Meli: (About episode 2) "This is not to be all about me, but I'm just... for how much dialogue I recorded I was like, oh... Clem in the second episode had some great scenes but she kind of seemed to go... just... it was kind of fast."

Meli: (How you feel about not being the playable character) "well... they didn't tell me I wasn't a playable character because technically I still am a playable character, but a first I was like 'oh okay, this 'javy guy' they better write his story really well or else they're going to piss off - which they still have - they're going to piss off a bunch of people with Clem not being the main focus. But once I got into the recordings and the story developed I thought it was actually.... I think it works out."

Meli: (About E3) "I don't know what's gonna happen in the next episode we barely started recording it"

Meli: (About when Clem left TNF) "She gets to a point were shes like 'this is hosed, I'm out' so she leaves them. So hopefully she hasn't done too much bad with The New Frontier."

Meli: (Talking about recording clementines voice/attitude) "At first it was really dark. Every other word was like 'WELL gently caress YOU' you know. And then the writers were like 'Eh, we need to reel that in a little bit.' But she still cusses which is great." "We went back into the studio to bring back more of the S2 Clem, but then it was too nice. So then we went back in to try AGAIN and it was that definitely low... like, clementines never been overly emotional with her speech unless there is something overly dramatic happening. Ever since Lee/S2 she's been a soft spoken person."

Speaker: So you're saying you just started Episode 3?

Meli: "Yeah I have recorded one scene thus far but we went into the studio and they said "this will probably get totally rewritten, but were gonna go ahead and record this anyways. I wish I could tell you what its about....."

Meli: (about the E3 release date) "*I know with all these big games a deadlines I really don't want that to effect this game. I know there are amazingly talented people writing this game so I'm not afraid. I just don 't want them to, you know, say 'we need to get this episode out!' "

Meli: (They're talking about the weed scene and how Clem would sound had she smoked) "Gabe, man, chill out, try this. Smoke some weed bro.".

Meli: (About Clem's ethnicity) "She's black and asian. Blasian."

Meli: (Talking about E3 release date) "My guess is it will release in March, at the earliest. Maybe April."

e: Keep in mind a lot of these quotes are cherry picked, and Melissa was not as negative as this makes her sound. But these quotes DO give some good food for thought.

BMS fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 7, 2017

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Can someone post their save with Conrad
alive? I don't really give a poo poo about the other choices you made, I just lost my save and don't want to keep rerolling pregenerated saves for episode 3 until I get one where he's alive.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

steakmancer posted:

I just lost my save and don't want to keep rerolling pregenerated saves for episode 3 until I get one where he's alive.

This actually happened to me, which is partly why I haven't updated the thread. The PS4 version of this is unplayable. Or it has been so far anyway. Weird glitches. The "Previously on...." segment starts to play, but the character models are simply not there, and then it freezes halfway through. It has been a couple weeks after the release of the episode, and still no fix yet. Good job TT. Good job.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It's 2017 and Telltale is still losing saves and loving over people's games? This was what killed off my interest in Walking Dead Season One. I hear it's good, but my time is actually kinda valuable as an adult and I don't feel like playing the same game 3x just to see an ending screen.

I've never seen such a big, well-funded developer be so openly contemptuous of their customers.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Jane Did Nothing Wrong

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: Episode 5 to be released May 30th! :siren:

Well here be updates! Figured I better finally get around to updating the thread. After Episode 3 was released in March, and the absolute trouble I had playing the game (graphical glitches etc. to be explained later in this post), and the lack of interest in this game overall, I've been reluctant to update it. However, considering the series, I need to bring this thread to it's proper point and let it play out to the end!

So here's a brief overview of the troubles that plagued Episode 3. Upon downloading the Episode on PS4, it took approx. 5 minutes to load up and start the "Previously on..."segment. When this started, there were no characters present, but the background was there, albeit glitched out.

After much research (see Google searching), found that many others had the same problem, not just on the PS4 version either. Waiting for a patch from Telltale for a few days, and when nothing came I went back to searching, found that the only way to fix the problem was to delete my save data AND game from my system, and redownload. Everything worked fine after that. Thankfully I was able to snag a copy of my save and replace it, (which worked oddly enough), but still, I don't understand the reasoning behind the problem, and why Telltale never seemed to have fixed this from my knowledge. A LOT of people have lost their save files, even in this thread. Very little, to no response from Telltale themselves, aside from the quick blurb about "please delete the game and redownload it, and it should be fine!" memo. Quite disappointing.

ANYWAY! Tweets from Telltale while waiting for E3 made it seem like they were "listening to fan feedback and response, and will make changes according to it", and that was used as a reason for the extended wait for the release date.

The writing on E3 seems a LITTLE better, but nothing crazy. To be fair I'm not sure if it's just dumb luck that E3 turned out better than the previous 2, or if they actually went back and changed some things. What I DO know, is that they took the fan backlash to heart, and changed the biggest issue with the game (this is where their focus seemed to be)......Kenny and Jane's models.

For instance....(Original Left/Remodeled Right)

Truth be told....I like the changes. They actually resemble the characters from S2 a LOT better now! So bravo Telltale, props where props are due.

Now, onto the actual Episodes themselves. For efficiency, I'll just combine E3 & 4. There be spoilers from here on out!

As mentioned before, the writing for these two episodes seems to be a fair bit better. But ultimately, the gameplay, and more importantly, the LENGTH of gameplay is mostly unchanged. There are few "roaming" segments where you can walk around and explore the environment and see what's what. This has been sorely missed this season. While there are a few of these segments scattered through the episodes, they are extremely short lived, and simplistic. Gone are the puzzles, minor ones they may be of seasons past.

The episode length is another downer. Season 1 came in and the average episode was 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Not bad for basically a text adventure with QTE's. Season 2 was close to that, more or less averaging about 2 hours for me. Season 3 however....Episodes are capping at about an hour and a half. Which is just weird. I swear I feel like Episode 3 feels like it's HALF as long as Episode 2 of Season 1. Crazy. But once again, when you cut out all of the roaming segments that S1 had, you're going to lose a lot of game time.

A good handful of the dialogue choices are misleading as hell, as well. For instance, in E2, during the flashback episode, David walks in on you and Kate in the kitchen, he starts being a dick, and you have the choice to "tell him off". Given the direction of the conversation, you would rightly ASSUME this meant tell him to go gently caress himself, cool his jets, back the gently caress up etc. etc. Instead, you tell him that his wife is going to leave him, something she had made an offhand remark about before David walks in. I mean drat.

Of course, it's also quite direct too, in E4, if you chose to kill Conrad in E2, Gabe tells the entire group. You have the dialogue option "You little prick", which leads to Javi shouting "YOU LITTLE FUCKIN' rear end in a top hat"...which for whatever reason, and considering that Gabe is this season's Ben, I enjoyed!

Overall, I've enjoyed the last 2 episodes quite a bit. I still don't think it's near the level S1 & 2 were, but it's not bad either. It's weird seeing Clementine act like she does though. Anyway, I'm curious how E5 is actually going to play out, considering the ending to E4, not sure where they're going to go now. I do hope we get more, but Telltale needs to sit back and rethink their strategy long and hard before they make another season.

Also, Carley/Doug, had very MINOR roles in the following episodes until their deaths at the beginning of E3. The same is true for Nick in Season 2. Poor guy can be saved at the end of Episode 2, only to have a couple short sentences in E3, and is later found as a walker in E4. Very disappointing. That being said how bout that ConRAD? This mother fucker was an rear end in a top hat in E2, but I had to go through part of E2 again due to the save corruption and kept him alive this time and wow. He's lasted so far. Crazy that a determinate character has had a fairly important role AND has the chance of making it to E5. Going back and keeping him alive was a good decision I think.

And finally, there is rumor of DLC/special episodes for this season. Which, the rumor is simply from how things are worded in an article from Skybound, found here

The thing that has people's attention is the Episode 5: ‘From the Gallows’ is rated ‘M’ (Mature) for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, and Strong Language by the ESRB. Future content in the season is yet to be rated.

Does it mean anything or is it just a generic statement? Who knows. I just find it interesting that of the season that's been received the worst so far, there is the chance of extra episodes. I mean, I want to like this season a lot. It has a lot of good things going for it, it's just a radically different direction from S1&2 that it's a different feel.

There have been some good things come from this season. Somebody at one point changed the Walking Dead Wiki entries for Clementine, and labeled her ethnicity as "Urban", renamed Jane "THOT", and changed Kenny's occupation to "Part time God, full time Master of Boats". The wiki has since corrected these, but who knows, maybe in the future. Oh, there's also weird faces caused by the new engine sometimes.

And of course, a little engine trouble with Javi's bat

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or is it odd that Season 2 was released over the time frame of 9 months, while Season 3 is going to be released over just 5?

BMS fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 22, 2017

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the Episode 5 trailer was released today.

Looks interesting. They're hinting at the fact that all those minor little choices in the last 4 episodes are going to have a big impact. Like "holding Kate's hand".......I hope it's good. Weird feeling those choices aren't gonna matter hardly at all.

Maybe our boy Conrad will survive to the end! That'd be the biggest twist of all. A determinate character from E2, surviving the season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm only through episode 3, but one thing that's always bothered me about these games is how little diplomacy does for you. When the town leaders were talking to Javy I was 100% agreeable and humble, reconciliatory with marauder man, and they still tossed him out like he was a loving pedophile or something for admitting to trying to take gas that he didn't know belonged to anyone else.

I know people in this universe are assholes, but it's irritating when they're assholes in circumstances where it's completely nonsensical given the circumstances.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

I'm only through episode 3, but one thing that's always bothered me about these games is how little diplomacy does for you. When the town leaders were talking to Javy I was 100% agreeable and humble, reconciliatory with marauder man, and they still tossed him out like he was a loving pedophile or something for admitting to trying to take gas that he didn't know belonged to anyone else.

I know people in this universe are assholes, but it's irritating when they're assholes in circumstances where it's completely nonsensical given the circumstances.

Telltale. Your choices matter

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Another trailer for episode 5. Something's telling me this is going to end poorly

EDIT: Well, I was right, it did end poorly...nice typo at the end of your own damned trailer guys. Does Telltale even HAVE any QA people there?....Wait, I think we're on to something here.

BMS fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 25, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

General Dog posted:

Whether it's intentional or not, all The Walking Dead media constantly enforces the worldview that diplomacy, peacemaking, and alliances are completely worthless and only murderous killing and dominance matters.

It's dumb as hell imho, Cormac McCarthy these guys are not.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why didn't Jane blow her brains out?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

Why didn't Jane blow her brains out?

Kenny, can you show little AJ what Jane did instead?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Let's bring this turd in for landing

□Kill Clementine ○ Kill your Famil

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 30, 2017

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Episode 5 is out!:siren:

So Season 3 is coming to a close (maybe, there's always possible DLC considering the wording of Telltale's posts.).

Not sure what to expect from the cliffhanger ending of episode 4, but I guess we'll see, I'll get back to you after I play through this.

General Dog posted:

Let's bring this turd in for landing

□Kill Clementine ○ Kill your Famil

I would not be surprised if this is what it boils down to. Though I can't see Telltale having an option to kill Clementine off. Gotta milk that cash cow!

Though, the big question I have as of right now is......will Conrad, a so far TRIPLE determinant character, survive through the end of the final Episode? This would be a first for the series, and any TT game in general I think. Also glitches, please let there be worthy glitches, or mods that let you do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dt2oc5LzCw

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BMS posted:

Kenny, can you show little AJ what Jane did instead?

wait hold the gently caress up Kenny and Jane are both in Season 3?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1stGear posted:

wait hold the gently caress up Kenny and Jane are both in Season 3?

In a manner of speaking! Depending on your ending in Season 2, they can show up in flashbacks that bridge the gap between S2 and S3.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's bad!! Nothing means anything, even more than usual. If you want a good outcome hope you were an rear end in a top hat to Clementine.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I dunno, I liked it about as much as I have enjoyed any Telltale offering. *shrug*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know, everybody's motivations in the last episode seemed even more arbitrary than normal. The sides everybody takes in the fight before the big decision at the end make no sense.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Season 3 was comically awful and that final episode was hilarious. Standout part was a character going "Five or Five Hundred of us- if we tried to fight that many we'd all die!" only for literally the exact next scene to have 3 samurai's on horseback ride in and kill every zombie ever.

What is wrong with these script writers. I fell off the comic around the time Glenn got beat with a bat and the show shortly after the Governor bit- did it really get that stupid that what I posted makes sense?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Different writers with each season.

The s1 guys did a fantastic job establishing a strong and interesting cast. The s2 guys built on that and concluded it with a really satisfying redemptive arc for Kenny (unless you robbed yourself of a great ending with Jane). I stopped at episode 1 of season 3, so all I can comment on is their inability to make a likable cast.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This post will contain a lot of spoilers for Episode 5, and S3 in general, so forgive the giant wall of black. Finished it finally. Needless to say, just like with the rest of this season, I was disappointed. Which really I think Donnerberg summed up how I feel about it pretty well:

Donnerberg posted:

Different writers with each season.

The S1 guys did a fantastic job establishing a strong and interesting cast. The S2 guys built on that and concluded it with a really satisfying redemptive arc for Kenny (unless you robbed yourself of a great ending with Jane). I stopped at episode 1 of season 3, so all I can comment on is their inability to make a likable cast.

Episode 5 was just so weird. Regardless of how you played, or who you decided with, 99% of the time the characters react the same way...I know, Telltale blah blah blah. But this was even bad by their standards.

I was especially disappointed with how they treated Clementine. In episodes 1 & 2 you could choose to "betray her" at numerous points, (even the other Episodes you could side against her at points). The big choice you had was whether or not you chose to shoot Conrad at the end of Episode 2, when he wanted to take Clementine hostage and use her as a bargaining chip with the New Frontier. You would THINK that siding against her would at least change the dialogue and interaction you have with her in a fairly significant way, as opposed to if you shoot Conrad in order to let her go her own way. NOPE. Nada, the only thing I could really tell, was a line in the middle of Episode 5 where she pops of with "I know it must've been hard to shoot Conrad, but I KNOW you've always got my back". Everything I can tell aside from that is unchanged. There is seriously NO reason not to side with Conrad because of this. Clementine interacts the same way with you throughout the game. Plus the whole "side with Kate or David" bit, none of the interaction you have in the prior episodes has any impact. There seems to be some weird correlation with choices from S2 and how you treated Clementine in S3 as to whether she will go with you, or not in this choice. Some people have reportedly made the same choices in their S3 game, only to have Clem do something different. Which leads me to believe that S2 choices weigh on this outcome in some way. Of course, the only choice that actually decides the final roster of the game, is who YOU go with in the middle of E5. Crazy stuff.

This season just felt rushed, and nowhere near the quality of writing that S1 & even S2 had. In S1, you were able to immerse yourself and invest in the characters, S2 did this as well albeit to a much lesser extent, as they pretty much focused on the player investing in Kenny or Jane. S3....I honestly didn't give a drat about anybody but Javi, and even that was more or less a "dude, get the gently caress away from these people" type deal. Clementine felt like nothing more than a prop to add that nostalgia feeling for players of the previous seasons, as I think she could've honestly been replaced by Survivor #47 and this Season would've had the same impact if it were treated as a spin-off from the main series, (which it really seems that way anyway).

General Dog posted:

It's bad!! Nothing means anything, even more than usual. If you want a good outcome hope you were an rear end in a top hat to Clementine.

Seriously, this. If you want Gabe and Kate to survive together, you need to split up with Clementine in the middle of E5. If you side with Clem and support her throughout the Season, she will simply go with whoever you choose to go with. If you're an rear end in a top hat, she'll go with the opposite person, and if you go with Kate, Clem will manage to at least save Gabe. Once again, no reason to side with Clementine on hardly ANYTHING in this game, if you want a fairly decent outcome. I can't think of one instance where siding with Clem can positively affect the outcome.

Tell Tripp the truth in E1 about Clem shooting the merchant dude = Not getting locked up for the night in Prescott
Side with Conrad = Chance of Conrad redeeming himself AND allowing him to be the only TRIPLE determinant character to survive through the entire Season in any Telltale game, also, Tripp loves you at the end of E4. (if memory serves)
Not assisting with Linguard's suicide = Linguard survives to the end of E5, and tells Clem where AJ is anyway (which in E4 was the reason for assisting his suicide, so in exchange he'd tell you what happened to AJ).

This doesn't affect the ending scene with Clem at all, none of those choices do.

We are treated to a small little post credits scene, which shows Clementine heading back through the gas station we passed in Episode 2, killing a bunch of walkers, and stating she's going to find AJ.

This fades to a black screen and we're greeted with this:

Will it be a Season 4, with Clementine in the lead roll again? Or are we in store for a DLC episode(s)? Who knows at this point. Aside from this exchange:

Nothing else has been hinted at yet, so we'll just have to see.

I do hope that Telltale takes a cue from all the negative reaction this season had, learns from it, and rethinks their writing for any future installments. I really wanted to like this season, especially since I really enjoyed S1&2, but I will have an extremely hard time replaying this season for anything other than the "Let's be an rear end in a top hat and completely unreasonable and see if anything changes". Even that will be difficult. At least S1 & S2 you had the option of being DickLee or The ClemBitch1000 with some interesting reactions. I just don't see that happening in S3, regardless of how you choose to play!

Oh! Also, Clementine is now a Pokemon, she's evolving! At the end of Episode 5 when the game is going over your choices, you're given a "Clem Card", which says "Your Clementine became....", gives a title, and 4 actions that shaped her into..whatever.

I have read that there are actually close 42 different title cards she can get. I.....I don't see how it can be THAT many, although, I've already found 16 different ones, so who knows. Common theory is that instead of being randomly generated (wouldn't surprise me if they are to an extent), this card actually takes into account choices made in S1 & 2 as well as S3. If so, there could be quite a few. Only time will tell I guess!

Here's an example of one (the one I received)

Here are some of the other ones I've been able to snag from the internet. For those that have played the game, what card did you get? And if you've seen any that aren't posted here, please do! I'm curious to see just how many of these damned things there are, not to mention what REALLY goes into deciding on the title of them.

Anyway, here are the cards, I'll add these to the OP as well.

Edit: Apparently no, specific combination of the four actions are required for any particular card. Just found another version of the title I got, except the last two actions are different. I have no idea how the gently caress these things are generated.....

BMS fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 1, 2017

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Card Count Update::siren:
Your Clementine is Evolving! Gotta Catch'em All!
Clementine Card Counter: 25

Well I found 9 more cards that you can get, and have a small update on how these are possibly assigned. Still hearing the figure of 42 cards floating around, but this new formula from some guy on reddit has the total at 32. Who the hell knows. Anyway, here are the new cards. (There is a 25th card that I've seen stats for, titled "A Dedicated Friend", but haven't found a good quality screen cap of it yet.)

And the formula for calculating how the cards are assigned. To my knowledge, this has not been proven as of yet, but it does make a lot of sense.

"SwixSwax posted:

I think I've determined what affects Clem's decision to either stay with Javi or make her own decision.
It would seem that your Season 2 ending locks you into a set number of Your Clem profiles. From there, your decisions during the Clem flashbacks have the final say. Judging from the flavour text, the three key decision points that determine your Clem are:
  • Accepting or Rejecting Ava's Offer
  • Injecting AJ or Obeying the Rules
  • Saying Goodbye to AJ or Spitting on David
If you accept Ava's offer and inject AJ, your Clem will be loyal and she will follow Javi's lead.
If you accept Ava's offer and obey them with AJ, your Clem will be understanding and will go after Gabe.
If you reject Ava's offer and inject AJ, your Clem will be levelheaded and will go wherever Javi doesn't.
If you reject Ava's offer and obey them with AJ, your Clem will be forgiving and will, again, go after Gabe.
If you reject Ava's offer, inject AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be cold and will go with Kate.
If you reject Ava's offer, obey them with AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be honest and will, again, go wherever Javi doesn't.
If you accept Ava's offer, inject AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be bold and will, again, follow Javi's lead.
If you accept Ava's offer, obey them with AJ and spit in David's face, your Clem will be just and will, again, go with Kate.

As such, it would appear that our Season 2 endings have less say in the Season 3 ending than it would initially seem in that they only really influence which set of Your Clem profiles you'll have access to. In theory, there are four distinct routes with eight unique profiles which can be unlocked depending on your choices, meaning that there are 32 Your Clem screens out there waiting to be unlocked.

BMS fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 2, 2017

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
How do you even get to see this? I skipped the credits, and got the normal 'You Choose...' screens.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CowboyAndy posted:

How do you even get to see this? I skipped the credits, and got the normal 'You Choose...' screens.

It comes up at the end after you flip through the choices screens, then you get the post credits scene.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CowboyAndy posted:

General Dog posted:

It comes up at the end after you flip through the choices screens, then you get the post credits scene.

Yeah, the Clementine Card is tucked away at the very end of the choices screen that plays during the credits. Skipping the credits skips the card. For whatever reason Telltale didn't add the card to your "My Choices" option from the main menu either. Weird decision on their part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I got a variant of the Strong Through Solidarity card that has the last bullet saying splitting up was unacceptably dangerous.

Like you said, it seems really arbitrary how the cards/bullet points are generated.

Arbitrary would be a good word for this season overall, I feel. A lot of the decisions, consequences, and thus character motivations and arcs felt arbitrary; almost random, but not quite. Seems like they had a hard time tying everything together, writing-wise, since we were kind of stuck with this being another Clementine Season, except this time we weren't playing as her the whole time, so they had to insert sections for her, wedging them into a different story. It's like, pick one or the other. We can play as Clem, or as somebody else, but you really can't do both and not have it feel kind of messy overall.

• Locked thread