Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 17 - Seadramon

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, I decided to participate in the Resist Jam, which sucked up the entirety of my free time for a week and a half. Anyways, it's time to finally put our Amazing Rod to good use and catch us a Seadramon! Seadramon is a pain and a half to catch, between him only showing up at specific times and completely obliterating your line tension. There were a couple of things that seemed to help with reeling in Seadramon. Tapping X instead of holding it did seem to make a difference. Also it seems like you just need to focus on not breaking the line for a few minutes and then you'll get him eventually.

Seadramon does not actually join the city, but "recruiting" him gives you the ability to access Beetle Land, which has some pretty nice stuff and really useful recruits, which we will check out next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 18 - Beetle Land

We've finally made it to Beetle Land! Now we can recruit Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon. They both upgrade the Green Gym a little bit, which is much appreciated. Beetle Land also has some training facilities that are better than Green Gym, and are much easier to get to than the Ice Sanctuary, so they are actually fairly useful.

We don't get a chance to get too much else done, unfortunately, because reasons I died again, whoops.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You have so many care mistakes I've reported you to DPS (Digimon Protective Services)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Oh so that's how the Blue Flute works, I too also tried feeding it to my mon. Also I cheated it in with gameshark so maybe the Seadramon flag wasnt flagged so even if I just randomly pressed x while at the shore it might not have worked.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 19 - Money!

It's time to continue our training session as we try to raise up a Digimon that can actually get stuff done. Also I think we may have been a little confused as to what does and does not count as a care mistake. I looked it up online, and here's the info I found for clarification:

pooping on the ground
not sleeping an entire sleep cycle (when passing the time your Digimon would normally wake up at)
not feeding your Digimon for 90 in-game minutes after the condition appeared
- this does not apply if your Digimon's nourishment value is still above the "full" threshold
- when the timer reaches 0 after training you'll get 2 care mistakes instead of 1
-- one of both care mistake gets added in the next possible game tick, so you can chain this to get way more than 2 with frame perfect inputs

We do get around to doing a little exploration and recruiting, though. We find Whamon in Freezeland, who takes you to Secret Beach Cave. You should probably be a bit more prepared than we were before doing this, because you need to fight Ogremon, Gabumon, and an ultimate Digimon named Warumonzaemon. Plenty of recovery items let us come out on top, but we probably should have waited for an ultimate to do it. You do actually get a reward for finishing the fight, but Whamon takes you back to Freezeland before you get a chance to collect it. If you want to pick up the reward, you have to go back to File City and talk to him again there (which we'll take care of next episode). Whamon will also get you access to Factorial Town.

We also show off the infinite money exploit. The guide I read suggested starting with 25 meat or digishrooms because they're a lower up front cost, but if you don't feel like spending the time fishing then you don't necessarily have to. You can use them to fish up Digianchovies, which you can trade for S. Speed Disks. The real exploit comes from the fact that you can buy medium recovery disks for 500 bits, trade them to Mojyamon for S. Def Disks, which sell for 2000 bits at the shop. The more we play this game the more I realize that we need just about every advantage we can get and I no longer have an issue with abusing this to make a lot of money.

One last note, I was going to link to the guide I was reading in this episode about ultimate digivolutions supposedly not needing to hit an absolute stat value, but I can no longer find the guide so I guess it was wrong? I honestly don't know what to believe anymore.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

BioEnchanted posted:

You have so many care mistakes I've reported you to DPS (Digimon Protective Services)

You know what the worst part is? We didn't even get Kuwagamon. I feel like a garbage human being for nothing.

PhazonLink posted:

Oh so that's how the Blue Flute works, I too also tried feeding it to my mon. Also I cheated it in with gameshark so maybe the Seadramon flag wasnt flagged so even if I just randomly pressed x while at the shore it might not have worked.

Going into your inventory and using the flute just seems like the logical thing to do. Honestly neither scenario would surprise me. I could see them having a flag for Seadramon, but I could also see them taking the easy way and just having the code assume that having the Blue Flute means you fished up Seadramon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To address MarquiseMindfang's comment earlier in the thread, Next Order at least actually gives you the option to turn off certain possible Digivolutions once you unlock and upgrade the Dojo to Level 2 if there is a specific Digimon you want or a Digimon you don't want like in this case Kuwagamon and Kabuterimon respectively. Of course, the only Digimon in N0 I consider rubbish are the straight recolors Growlmon and WarGrowlmon (Yellow), Kyubimon and Taomon (Silver), and Guardromon (Gold) and even those are technically legitimate species.

OrangeFluffySheep's thread actually did dig through the game's code in order to get HerculesKabuterimon.

Speaking of which, my favorite Kuwagamon species is arguably HerculesKabuterimon's rival, GranKuwagamon:

Sadly, this digimon isn't in the original game but it is thankfully in N0.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Guys, no, you could've just traded the Digimushrooms straight for Medium Recoveries! No fishing needed!

Chimera-gui posted:

To address MarquiseMindfang's comment earlier in the thread, Next Order at least actually gives you the option to turn off certain possible Digivolutions once you unlock and upgrade the Dojo to Level 2 if there is a specific Digimon you want or a Digimon you don't want like in this case Kuwagamon and Kabuterimon respectively. Of course, the only Digimon in N0 I consider rubbish are the straight recolors Growlmon and WarGrowlmon (Yellow), Kyubimon and Taomon (Silver), and Guardromon (Gold) and even those are technically legitimate species.

Yeah I think I was working off a bad digivo chart or something, because it's consistent once you're able to make it transparent. I was just very annoyed at getting recolourmons all the time.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, many Digimon are either straight recolors like Shamamon or recolors that have been modified in some way like SnowGoblimon as demonstrated below:

Some don't even bother with recoloring at all:

The crowning example however has got to be from Data Squad where this was made :thejoke:. Behold Meteormon in all his glory.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ceraph posted:

You should probably be a bit more prepared than we were before doing this, because you need to fight Ogremon, Gabumon, and an ultimate Digimon named Warumonzaemon.

:eng101: Waruseadramon

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

The crowning example however has got to be from Data Squad where this was made :thejoke:. Behold Meteormon in all his glory.

There is a puzzle in Next Order where you have to pick a Gotsumon out of a crowd of Meteormon and I can't help but think they were making fun of themselves a bit.

Petiso posted:

:eng101: Waruseadramon

Whoops, it does actually say Waruseadramon doesn't it? There's a track on the OST called Warumonzaemon and I done got myself confused. Thanks for catching that!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Guys, no, you could've just traded the Digimushrooms straight for Medium Recoveries! No fishing needed!

Oh hey, I guess we could have. I didn't really look up what the other Mojyamon trade.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's not just species either, Digivolution patterns can also be repeated. I've already mentioned the fact that Patamon's Virus counterpart Tsukaimon can Digivolve into Devimon as a mirror of Patamon's own Digivolution into Angemon but there's an even better example of this which for the sake of simplicity I'm going to call the Gatomon pattern: Where a small, cat-like Digimon that is Champion Level or the equivalent thereof Digivolves into an Ultimate Level, feminine humanoid Digimon.

The most famous example of this is naturally Gatomon -> Angewomon as well as its Virus counterpart BlackGatomon -> LadyDevimon. Other examples include Mikemon -> Bastemon and Opossummon -> Cho•Hakkaimon from Hunters.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 29, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Why was there no non-background music sound in the last video? There were no sound effects or noises besides you two and the music. Was that intentional?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

BioEnchanted posted:

Why was there no non-background music sound in the last video? There were no sound effects or noises besides you two and the music. Was that intentional?

I mentioned this a few episodes ago, but for a good chunk of the recordings none of the game sound got captured by our capture software. Unfortunately we didn't catch it for a while, so I've been having to go back and add the BGM by hand. Replicating the SFX sounds like a nightmare, though, so I didn't even try. The next episode (20) is the last one we recorded that didn't capture sound, so hopefully everything will be back to normal soon. Sorry again for the mix up!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, I'd forgotten about that. That sucks.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I just finished getting caught up. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an LP from you for Next Order. I'll be checking out the live stream videos when I can. But a playthrough that's not blind wouldn't be bad either.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Warmal posted:

I just finished getting caught up. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an LP from you for Next Order. I'll be checking out the live stream videos when I can. But a playthrough that's not blind wouldn't be bad either.

Seconding this, I think you guys could do a good LP of N0.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

Seconding this, I think you guys could do a good LP of N0.

Warmal posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I would be pretty down for doing that, though it would probably be a while before we get to it. There's just too many games to play!

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 20 - Piximon Sucks

We were a little worried about not ending up with an Ultimate Digimon, so we decided to just use the Mysterious Egg and get us a Digitamamon. This may have been a big mistake. It turns out that using an item to digivolve your Digimon to an ultimate will not cause its lifespan to increase. Other than changing what special you have and what attacks you have available, there's not much of a benefit to using the item. The biggest advantage I can see is if you need a specific type / Digimon for recruitment purposes.

Digitamamon is a cool Digimon, but his Nightmare Syndrome special is just awful. It's the only special (that I know of) that has a chance of backfiring on your Digimon and hurting itself. And it seems to do that with alarming frequency.

But we're not gonna let a blunder like that stop us! We take our fresh ultimate to check out the Arena, which can be a pretty good source of bits (if you don't have a garbage Digimon). We also use our fancy new Whamon to take our first look at Factorial Town, but unfortunately we can't get too much accomplished there.

We do manage to recruit Piximon, though! Because of all the money we got from Mojyamon, we actually manage to finish the fight, but I cannot stress enough that you should have a much better Digimon than us before attempting this fight. Piximon has a large pool of annoying attacks to begin with, and add his impressive ultimate level stats on top of that for a very annoying boss fight. Recruiting him is totally worth it, though, as he hangs out in the item shop from time to time and sells the Training Manual! The Training Manual will improve the effectiveness of all training you do with your Digimon as long as it is in your inventory (no need to use it or anything).

Monk E
May 19, 2009
On the bright side Digitamamon is very cute and is nearly impossible to get normally.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Digitamamon was a minor antagonist in Adventure who owns a restaurant that Joe and Matt were forced to work for to pay the latter's bill. And while Digitamamon was an rear end in a top hat to them, he's not technically evil.

Speaking of restaurants though, did you know that Digitamamon was one of the Digimon featured in the Lotteria booster pack of the Digimon card game which was presumably a promotion for the chain of fast-food restaurants of the same name:

This restaurant chain is connected to another group of Digimon that were featured in the pack:

Torikaraballmon, named for a kind of chicken nuggets sold at the chain, as well as the Rookie level Burgermon, its variant species EbiBurgermon

And finally the Champion level Burgermon who itself can actually Digivolve into Digitamamon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 16, 2017

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

Digitamamon was a minor antagonist in Adventure who owns a restaurant that Joe and Matt were forced to work for to pay the latter's bill. And while Digitamamon was an rear end in a top hat to them, he's not technically evil.

Speaking of restaurants though, did you that Digitamamon was one of the Digimon featured in the Lotteria booster pack of the Digimon card game which was presumably a promotion for the chain of fast-food restaurants of the same name:

This restaurant chain is connected to another group of Digimon that were featured in the pack:

Torikaraballmon, named for a kind of chicken nuggets sold at the chain, as well as the Rookie level Burgermon, its variant species EbiBurgermon

And finally the Champion level Burgermon who itself can actually Digivolve into Digitamamon.

I had no idea that those existed. Burgermon is adorable and I want one. There should be more food-based Digimon.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
I for some reason, seem to recall Digitamamon is supposed to be one of the strongest Digimon. But maybe that's just my childhood memories speaking, of realizing just how darn rare it is that it simply has to be the best Ultimate around because of that!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ceraph posted:

I had no idea that those existed. Burgermon is adorable and I want one. There should be more food-based Digimon.

There is at least one other food-based Digimon who is actually an alternate Ultimate level stage for Burgermon, Jagamon who's based on the potato and was also featured in the Lotteria pack:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Ceraph posted:

The Xros Wars manga has you covered there. Behold:

Shortmon (parody of the main character, Shoutmon)
Weddinmon and her Reverse form

krisslanza posted:

I for some reason, seem to recall Digitamamon is supposed to be one of the strongest Digimon.

This game gives a good reason for that if it's true.

EDIT: One other thing. While it's true that Digivolution items don't give a lifespan bonus or any stat bonuses, I believe you overall have more time to boost the new Ultimate's stats through training if say you use it as soon as you have a Champion. If you're getting a LOT of points per hour of training, anyways.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 17, 2017

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 21 - Factorial Town

We've been spending some time bumping up Digitamamon so we're ready to head back to Factorial Town and actually get some stuff done! Unfortunately none of our efforts result in actual recruits because the recruits here are all luck-based (MetalMamemon) or are gotten at the end of this rather long quest chain we're in the middle of. We do manage to beat Giromon, who has some heavy hitting attacks but his relatively low speed makes the fight very manageable.

I have to say, I like the aesthetic in Factorial Town quite a bit. I enjoy that all the Digimon here are either machine-based or look like they're the runoff from a nuclear power plant. It makes for some nice themeing and makes the area feel cohesive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Don't you fast travel to Factorial Town via Whamon?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

BioEnchanted posted:

Don't you fast travel to Factorial Town via Whamon?

You do, but until you finish the Giromon fight it doesn't connect to the rest of the map, so you can't really use that to fast travel to Gear Savannah and the surrounding area right away.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 22 - Not So Misty Trees

It's time to head back to Factorial Town and keep plugging away at this quest line. We pick up Numemon, who joins / opens the secret shop and sells enemy repellents and lures. These items will either cause more nearby enemies on screen to join in a battle or cause them to run away, depending on which one you buy. Unfortunately once we talk to Andromon again we have to wait a day before progressing the quest any further, but he opens the gates so it's off to Misty Trees!

There's a few Digimon we can recruit in Misty Trees, but our first target is Gabumon! It's not a terribly difficult fight, and when Gabumon joins the city he helps out Drimeogemon at the treasure hunter shop, which we haven't actually shown off yet.

Our last stop isn't technically a recruit, but we go and talk to Cherrymon. He doesn't join the city, but he drops a bit of story on us and clears the fog in Misty Trees! At least he says he'll clear the rest of the fog, but it still looks pretty foggy to me.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 23 - Deckard Cainmon

We've got one recruit left to pick up in Misty Trees, and that's Kokatorimon! After some rather bizarre dialogue, Kokatorimon will join the city and hang out near the toilets, where he has felt it necessary to build a statue. It's hard to tell exactly what it is, but it almost looks like it could be a strange interpretation of the main character...

In addition, it's time to get us a brand new Digimon! Digitamamon has been around for quite a few episodes now, and it's time for him to finally pass along the torch. This time we make good on our threats to use all of the stat disks we've been hoarding and oh my, does it make quite a difference. Before even digivolving past the baby stage we've got better stats than some rookies.

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 1, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah Kokatorimon, a goofy underling of Adventure's goofiest main villain, Etemon: A rock star digimon in a monkey suit that was dubbed as Elvis Presley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULmOKB3j3q8

Anyway Kokatorimon is cockatrice with its official Japanese name even being Cockatrimon. However while its namesake is a two-legged dragon or serpent-like creature with a rooster's head, Kokatorimon itself emphasizes the chicken elements adding to its goofy charm.

Digivolution-wise, Kokatorimon is one the two digimon officially recognized as a Champion stage of Biyomon in the Digimon Reference Book, the other being Birdramon though Biyomon itself favors Birdramon since, being a giant chicken, Kokatorimon naturally has no flying ability whatsoever which it compensates for with its leg strength. It is also the commonly accepted Champion stage of the Rooster Deva, Sinduramon:

Sinduramon has its own goofy charm thanks in no small part the English Tamers dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fDdK1T_oDM

And as if to either recognize or emphasize the charming goofiness, Kokatorimon was featured in the Lotteria pack as well:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 2, 2017

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Etemon was always my favorite of the major villains in Adventure. Devimon and Myotismon were fine, but there is something about an Elvis monkey that is just unforgettable.

Also the fact that that owl is a southern Baptist preacher is absolute gold.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It helps that Etemon is a the same Level as Myotismon and as such could kick the collective asses of our heroes with the same level of ease and unlike Myotismon actively pursued them when they entered the continent of Server AKA his territory making him a legitimate threat in spite of his own incompetence at times.

Stuff like those two videos are why I gravitate towards the dub in spite of its flaws.

Also fun fact: Etemon and Myotismon are both voiced by Richard Epcar.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 24 - Choicest Rookie

Between using a crapton of stat disks, having the upgraded training stuff, and a decent selection of moves, Agumon is extremely capable for a rookie. Regardless of who we end up with, we should be able to get some serious work done with them.

We actually take a visit to the secret item shop, which is under the normal item shop and is currently only staffed by Numemon. New recruits will add items you can buy from the secret item shop, and having it unlocked is a requirement for some recruits.

Given how strong Agumon is, we decide to just head back to Factorial Town and take care of some loose ends. One of those loose ends happens to be Andromon! True to his word, Andromon does not permanently move to the city. Instead he will stop by sometimes and comment on how the city is looking.

A question was raised in this episode that I don't honestly have an answer for, but it appears that different Digimon get hungry at different rates, and it also doesn't appear that it's directly tied to their evolution stage either. We end up getting Tyranomon as our champion, who seems to eat much more food than any other champion we've had. If anyone knows whether or not that's actually true, that'd be awesome!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Ceraph posted:

A question was raised in this episode that I don't honestly have an answer for, but it appears that different Digimon get hungry at different rates, and it also doesn't appear that it's directly tied to their evolution stage either. We end up getting Tyranomon as our champion, who seems to eat much more food than any other champion we've had. If anyone knows whether or not that's actually true, that'd be awesome!

There's actually been a lot of datamining since the game came out, and since that kind of stuff interests me greatly, I can answer this! There are game mechanics spoilers though, first-timers should probably not read it, actually.

In short: Tyrannomon is in fact one of the game's biggest eaters.

In greater detail: The way food works is that all Digimon have an eating schedule. At fixed times of the day they'll want to eat until their (hidden from view) 'energy' stat reaches a certain point. All Digimon have different feeding times, energy requirements, and different rates at which they lose energy. Tyrannomon does in fact have one of the highest energy requirements AND one of the highest energy burn rates, resulting in more food than usual required to feed him.

That's not even it either, there's another reason it'll feel very much like Tyrannomon has the most gluttonous girth in the game. All Digimon have a favorite food that they gain more energy from. For the starters, this is regular Meat, which is a neat way to go easy on a first-timer without them even knowing it. Except most people get Tyrannomon as their first Champion, whose favorite food is a rare item from Mt. Panorama. Oops.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of Tyrannomon, did you know that it may have been planned as the original default Champion stage for Agumon rather than Greymon?

You see, Tyrannomon was actually the very first digimon designed. Back when the first V-Pets were being put out, they reused sprites from Bandai's various kaiju virtual pets, with Tyrannomon here being the stand in for Godzilla himself. It also looks more like an obvious evolution of Agumon, one of the very first V-pet Rookie-levels and the franchise's mascot.

However it just never really took off like Greymon, who in the first v-pet is a more easily acquired monster. The reasons for this are probably two-fold; one, again, Greymon is easier to get, which means it was more likely to stick in kids' consciousness than Tyrannomon. Second, MetalGreymon appears in version 1 while Tyrannomon's Ultimate stage was left for a later version.

This is also why the original MetalGreymon wasn't designed with the idea of being part of a franchise-leading Digivolution line in mind. Its posture is craven and cowardly-looking, its skin is blue and death-like, and it is a Virus attribute which wasn't used for a lead partner until Guilmon. The later introduction of the orange MetalGreymon of the Pendulum virtual pets and the anime is clear evidence of a re-visioning that coincides with them finding Greymon to be more popular. The fact that WarGreymon was first designed for the anime project, unlike a lot of the other first-generation Mega stages like Hououmon and HerculesKabuterimon, also lends credence to the idea there was a paradigm shift behind the scenes. Meanwhile, the viral aspects of the original were passed on to Tyrannomon's Ultimate stage, MetalTyrannomon.

Tyrannomon's gotten a resurgence as of late however, with Re: Digitize honoring its status as the first Digimon by giving it a specially designed Mega stage, RustTyrannomon, as well as it being the mascot of the 20th anniversary and as such appearing on the logo for it.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Ephraim225 posted:

There's actually been a lot of datamining since the game came out, and since that kind of stuff interests me greatly, I can answer this! There are game mechanics spoilers though, first-timers should probably not read it, actually.

In short: Tyrannomon is in fact one of the game's biggest eaters.

In greater detail: The way food works is that all Digimon have an eating schedule. At fixed times of the day they'll want to eat until their (hidden from view) 'energy' stat reaches a certain point. All Digimon have different feeding times, energy requirements, and different rates at which they lose energy. Tyrannomon does in fact have one of the highest energy requirements AND one of the highest energy burn rates, resulting in more food than usual required to feed him.

That's not even it either, there's another reason it'll feel very much like Tyrannomon has the most gluttonous girth in the game. All Digimon have a favorite food that they gain more energy from. For the starters, this is regular Meat, which is a neat way to go easy on a first-timer without them even knowing it. Except most people get Tyrannomon as their first Champion, whose favorite food is a rare item from Mt. Panorama. Oops.

I knew I wasn't crazy! This game really is the king of hidden gameplay mechanics.

Chimera-gui posted:

Speaking of Tyrannomon, did you know that it may have been planned as the original default Champion stage for Agumon rather than Greymon?

You see, Tyrannomon was actually the very first digimon designed. Back when the first V-Pets were being put out, they reused sprites from Bandai's various kaiju virtual pets, with Tyrannomon here being the stand in for Godzilla himself. It also looks more like an obvious evolution of Agumon, one of the very first V-pet Rookie-levels and the franchise's mascot.

However it just never really took off like Greymon, who in the first v-pet is a more easily acquired monster. The reasons for this are probably two-fold; one, again, Greymon is easier to get, which means it was more likely to stick in kids' consciousness than Tyrannomon. Second, MetalGreymon appears in version 1 while Tyrannomon's Ultimate stage was left for a later version.

This is also why the original MetalGreymon wasn't designed with the idea of being part of a franchise-leading Digivolution line in mind. Its posture is craven and cowardly-looking, its skin is blue and death-like, and it is a Virus attribute which wasn't used for a lead partner until Guilmon. The later introduction of the orange MetalGreymon of the Pendulum virtual pets and the anime is clear evidence of a re-visioning that coincides with them finding Greymon to be more popular. The fact that WarGreymon was first designed for the anime project, unlike a lot of the other first-generation Mega stages like Hououmon and HerculesKabuterimon, also lends credence to the idea there was a paradigm shift behind the scenes. Meanwhile, the viral aspects of the original were passed on to Tyrannomon's Ultimate stage, MetalTyrannomon.

Tyrannomon's gotten a resurgence as of late however, with Re: Digitize honoring its status as the first Digimon by giving it a specially designed Mega stage, RustTyrannomon, as well as it being the mascot of the 20th anniversary and as such appearing on the logo for it.

I honestly had no idea that Tyrannomon was the first Digimon, but that's pretty cool that they're giving him the respect he deserves. That explains a lot, and I was a little confused as to why the MetalGreymon in the first DW was both blue and a virus type. If memory serves MetalGreymon(blue) is in Next Order as well as part of the Agumon(black) recolor line.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hilariously, the Fusion versions of both Greymon and MetalGreymon are blue with orange stripes, possibly as a nod to this even though Digimon in Fusion didn't have Levels or Attributes:

With the predictable joke:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 25 - Hungry Hungry Tyrannomon

As was previously confirmed, Tyrannomon really likes to eat. Despite our dwindling food supplies, we're going to go take care of some recruitment stuff! First up is to head back to Drill Tunnel! There we find our final encounter with Ogremon, and finally recruit him! He doesn't seem to have any functional purpose, but he wanders the city and acts as a guard of sorts. While we're down in the tunnels we also pick up the stone tablet for Leomon, since we have over 40 prosperity now.

Finally, before we screw up beyond repair, we decide to take care of the Airdramon fight, which happens if you leave Jijimon's house after getting 50 prosperity. The fight was a little tough, but since our champion is already so beefy and we've got plenty of recovery items, we finish without much difficulty. Until we finish the final boss, Airdramon will stay bedridden in jijimon's house. After that, he will become a fortune teller. His fortunes, however, do absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
Tyrannomon was the worst when I got it as a kid who was bad at video games and only had like, the basic meats and no money. Stop eating so much!

• Locked thread