Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krisslanza
May 6, 2011
This was the best Digimon World. 2 and 3 weren't the same as just that like... traditional Digimon feel of raising and caring for a Digimon... then having it engage in brutal blood battles for your amusement.
Okay, that and I'm a huge sucker for any kind of game where I get to 'build' a town. Even if you really just rebuild it. But recruiting all the Digimon for File Town was fun.

You know, I think I actually have the Prima Guide still laying around somewhere... even if it doesn't actually tell you how to get to some of the REALLY special places in this game.
Particularly the way to 'upgrade' your Gym so all the training is more effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
I for some reason, seem to recall Digitamamon is supposed to be one of the strongest Digimon. But maybe that's just my childhood memories speaking, of realizing just how darn rare it is that it simply has to be the best Ultimate around because of that!

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Man I just remembered how many 'hidden' recruitments there are in this game. It's a shame a lot of them don't seem to do anything tangible, other then simply showing up. I think some of them don't even count towards the Prosperity counter!

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ceraph posted:

It's always hard to strike a balance between having secret or hidden things be satisfying to get and making sure the really useful mechanics aren't super hard to get. I do think at the end of the day making the player feel like they accomplished something and being well rewarded is more important than a sense of "balance". The first Dead Rising is a great example of this. After spending hours killing zombies in one run to get the zombie genocide achievement you are rewarded with the Real Mega Buster. Sure, it makes all the boss fights trivial, but man does it ever feel good to shoot that thing. Besides, you still have to be super on point if you're going for a max survivor run.

Yeah I see what you mean. From my recollection, really the only 'hidden' recruitments that really bugged me (from owning the strategy guide) is not being told about Beetle Land. Because those Digimon upgraded your training stuff, which is really useful.
I've been thinking about the original a lot since I've been playing Next Order for the past like two weeks.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Devil Chips always seemed so useless to me. Even in Next Order, the amount of stats they grant seems not enough to make up for losing an entire day of life.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ceraph posted:

About the only useful thing you can use them for in Next Order is forcing a Digimon to die so you can get a new one (since they removed the 3 strikes battle loss death). I've heard that there are ways of basically giving a Digimon infinite lifespan, which is cool until you realize you want to work on filling out your digivolution tree.

Yeah thats about the best thing I can see for them. You can't do the infinite lifespan until post-game I hear though. I've been plugging away at it... while an LP of it might be a nice idea, I'd need a capture card, since the PS4 recording automatically mutes the Accentier song, which plays during ExE evolutions, really killing the battle mood for watchers.
And to be honest, if Next Order had the three strikes to die in battle, it'd be way harder... Next Order throws massive difficulty spikes at you constantly, and the level system for enemy Digimon is really wonky, since you have no way to know how tough your Digimon are, until you run into a fight.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ceraph posted:

I completely agree about the difficulty curve in Next Order being kind of crazy. I'd be so screwed so many times if your Digimon could die from losing battles (that and if emergency ExE weren't a thing haha).

Also if you are planning on doing an LP of it, I would actually recommend keeping the Accentier song muted. If you want to use YouTube for hosting, it will get flagged by content ID and then people outside of Japan won't be able to watch your video (I found that one out the hard way and had a hell of a time removing the claim from our VODs when we streamed it).

Yeah I know all about that, Sony's PS4 share for streaming also automatically mutes the audio as soon as Accentier plays, meaning the stream gets nothing but big ol' silence if I bust out ExE. Really annoys me.
It's an idea, but I'm unsure if I'd get around to it or not. It wouldn't be a blind run anymore, but it might be a good excuse to learn video editing, if only because SA might frown up on my heavily reliance on doing gym training a lot. Then again, with my foreknowledge, I might be willing to be more reckless, since I know losing a battle is only a minor annoyance (especially once you get the hospital) instead of a major problem.

It's on my long list of, "This might be fun to LP". I certainly think Next Order was the Digimon World 'sequel' we needed though. I'm kind of hoping they'll make another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
It's true, a lot of the late game recruits don't really seem to do anything. You just kind of recruit them because... w-why not? :v:
I think Analogman is slightly hinted at, or at the least, a greater overall villain in the game, but it is pretty not obvious I think, so he does kind of come out of nowhere. Don't worry, I'm sure Analogman or Machinedramon is never, ever going to be brought up in any future games! :haw:

• Locked thread