Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I love this stupid game. It's made entirely of middle school rumours and unmitigated bullshit. I once finished it with just the starter Digimon.

Apparently Next Order is like this, and comes out end of the month. Might be worth a look into!

e; Oh yeah and Bonus Try is super rigged. If the RNG hasn't decided you get a winning roll, you can time it frame-perfectly and the reels will tick over so that you lose. But of course, even if the RNG does smile on you, you still have to time it right, it won't fudge it for you in that direction.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

Episode 02 - Picking Flowers

I'm fairly sure digivolution isn't random, and can be influenced in a couple of ways. First is that if you meet stats for three digivolutions, but bonus conditions on only one, I think you'll get the one you have the most conditions for. Second, some digivolutions flat out have priority over others, in that the game checks your stats against a list of the requirements for all possible digivolutions on basically every frame, and it checks them in a certain order. If you meet the same number of conditions for two or more digimon, it chooses whichever is first in the list.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

Episode 03 - Centarumon World

We're starting to feel the pains of trying to raise a specific digimon in the early game. The timeframe you have before the first champion combined with the low starting stats of your digimon make it very difficult to get anything other than Centarumon.

Cantarumon's bonus condition is 60% Discipline; Garurumon's is 90%. Since you were hovering between the two, you met Centarumon's and not Garurumon's, and got Centarumon.

Basically you needed to yell at Drew more.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Flinging enough floppies to store wikipedia in its entirety is pretty much the go-to strat in this game, yeah.

And you totally can do everything in one Digimon. 100 Prosperity even. Whenever I replay this game, half the time I do that. Gotta start with Agumon though. The other half of the time I try and get every single tech. That's actually harder.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

xelada posted:

If I remember correctly you can get Skullgreymon another way, which is often useful for completing the game in the first generation:
If Metalgreymon loses a life by losing a battle, after Jijimon admonishes you, it will Digivolve into Skullgreymon, interestingly a similar thing happens with Angemon, if it "faints" it will Digivolve into a Devimon, and I'm sure there are other Digimon this foes for

Not as useful as you might think, given I'm pretty sure the MetalGreymon in this game is Virus anyway, and for 100 prosperity in a single Digimon you have to take a very specific digivolution path.
I don't think there are any others that digivolve through death, but there are couple other weird "sideways" digivolutions, yeah.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

Whatever resource we found during recording that details the stats you get for eating food has been lost to the quagmire that is Google search results, because I have not been able to find it since. If anyone knows the details for the restaurant and wants to post it, that would be awesome! I was able to find out which Digimon work there, during what hours, and what food they offer. I will only post up to the Digimon we have recruited, but that brings me to my next point; we get a Meramon! Meramon also works in the restaurant and will open it if you don't have anyone else who works there. I believe beating Meramon also opens up more of the island to explore as well.

Here, I'll test real quick.

quote:

Restaurant workers:

Tyranomon: 6AM - 12PM
Wild Dragon Noodle - 4 hundbits (400) => Def +1, Spd +1
Zaurus Pizza - 10 hundbits (1000) => Def +3, Spd +2
Jurassic Burger - 25 hundbits (2500) => Def +5, Spd +3

Meramon: 12PM - 6PM
Red Hot Ramen - 4 hundbits (400) => Off +1, Brn +1
Burning Hot Curry - 12 hundbits (1200) => Off + 3, Brn + 2
Lava Hot Pot - 35 hundbits (3500) => Off + 5, Brn + 3

I'll do the other four when you get them.

And you have most of the island unlocked from the start, beating Meramon just gets you a shortcut. You're always able to go through the Canyon (don't talk to Yuramon about bandits and Ogremon won't show up) Freezeland, Misty Trees, Gecko Swamp and Gear Savannah to get to Mt Panorama, and if you approach the landslide from the opposite side, it vanishes as if it were never there and you have your shortcut without beating Meramon. This is useful to kit out the Item Store using a Rookie when going for 100 prosperity in a single Digimon because you need to be Champion to even get to Meramon, much less beat him.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

I have seen art of the character you're talking about and I am inclined to agree that he is the protagonist from the first game. At the very least his design is an intentional callback to DW1, because no way that was a coincidence.

Given that one of the only things I know about Next Order is that it has a remix of the final boss theme from this game in it, I'd say they're going all in on the references.

By the way, is Next Order any good? Re:Digitize disappointed me somewhat.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

In addition to the portable potties that Alden has been lusting over, he also sells various stat chips that provide a permanent boost to your Digimon!

I think you're confusing those for the temporary in-battle stat boost disks. The stat chips can't be (directly) bought with money.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

I got a chance to sit down and play Next Order for a while today and I have to say I am enjoying it quite a bit. It really does feel like somebody was like "what if we just make the First Digimon World, but then also made it a good game". There is actually a lot of remixed music from DW1 in this; the town theme, night time theme, and battle themes are all remixes so far. The focus on training / raising your Digimon is back, as is the mechanic of exploring the world and recruiting Digimon back to town. There is also a really handy in game flow chart for digivolutions and in-game mechanics for finding out how to go down each path. Also having two partners means filling out the data twice as fast.

There's a lot of improvements / additions and I could go on, but I will say that if you enjoyed DW1, you will probably enjoy Next Order.

Okay so I got the game and I mostly agree with you, but for one teeny tiny fatal flaw.

Digivolutions are apparently totally random and independent of actual digivolution requirements.

As in, you can meet 6/6 requirements for the digimon you want and you'll instead turn into the 3/5 requirement thing you didn't want. Or you'll have 2/4 for 3 different Rookies and end up as the one you have 0/4 for.

That alone is preventing me from actually enjoying the game, because seriously why would I want to have a Goburimon or the dumb lego Agumon as a partner? Yes they've massively expanded the available roster, but mostly by bloating it with rubbish. I really doubt anyone would want a Fugamon. Less control is less fun, IMO, especially for a virtual pet game.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 4, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Okay! I'm caught up. I also revised my opinion on Next Order, it's pretty great and my gripes about the digivo system went away once I understood it better.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The Ice Sanctuary is referenced in Next Order, too. Spoilers for that game: It's actually transplanted wholesale. The layout is the exact same and so are the teleporter destinations and the enemies, with the exception of the very first room having enemies now, and the gym containing a recruitable and only opening up postgame. And not being a gym..

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Guys, no, you could've just traded the Digimushrooms straight for Medium Recoveries! No fishing needed!

Chimera-gui posted:

To address MarquiseMindfang's comment earlier in the thread, Next Order at least actually gives you the option to turn off certain possible Digivolutions once you unlock and upgrade the Dojo to Level 2 if there is a specific Digimon you want or a Digimon you don't want like in this case Kuwagamon and Kabuterimon respectively. Of course, the only Digimon in N0 I consider rubbish are the straight recolors Growlmon and WarGrowlmon (Yellow), Kyubimon and Taomon (Silver), and Guardromon (Gold) and even those are technically legitimate species.

Yeah I think I was working off a bad digivo chart or something, because it's consistent once you're able to make it transparent. I was just very annoyed at getting recolourmons all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Frigimon can be somewhat troubling in a first-Digimon 100 Prosperity run. Yeah you're supposed to use the Moldy Meat to speed things along, but you can't get to that vending machine because you need to beat Tyrannomon... and the only Cold-weak digimon you'll be using is your starter Agumon, so what you're supposed to do is fail Centarumon's Amiga Forest trial over and over to get one from there.

• Locked thread