Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And now we have one of the two DW game I've actually owned rather than rented as I did for DW2 so here's some trivia. This game has a cut Digimon name Kaminarimon tied to a Digivolution item called the Electro Ring. It's never actually been seen though and name would later be used for a spoof Digimon mentioned one of the stories in the CD audio drama Digimon Frontier Original Story: Things That Want To Be Told called "Get Izumi's Heart! The Ultimate Strategy!!".

This is the closest we have to an official design for this thing which was submitted two months before the release of World:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While I'm posting in the thread, here's an ad for Digimon World as well as the original card game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULDaN4vW18U

And some commercials for the v-pets while I'm at it, I apologize in advanced for the low quality of the second one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3VHXSTp0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEprOg4gChI

I also found a video showcasing Gizmo and Bull, the Tyrannomon and Greymon puppets used for the second v-pet commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuwxjxlYJDc

Also was there a third guy talking in the first LP video? I thought I heard another voice beside you and Alden.

Edit: Sorry about that.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 4, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Palmon recolor is called Alraumon. Both will release a sweet fragrance when happy and a foul stench that will drive off even large Digimon when pissed off or threatened. They're are also both based on the mythical Mandrake said to have sprung from the blood or semen of a hanged man (depending on the story), that people who pull up this root will be condemned to hell, and the mandrake root would scream as it's pulled from the ground killing anyone who heard it.

Strangely Yoshi's partner Lalamon looks like a depiction of the Mandrake despite having no obvious relation to it apart from having a sound-based attack albeit a soothing lullaby rather than a scream that kills everyone within earshot:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You do know that squat toilets are a thing right? Especially in Japan.

Also, I am very certain that World's depiction of Digivolution as "Digimon model loses texture to reveal wireframe underneath which changes shape before getting a new texture mapped onto it" was the basis for the Digivolution sequence in Tamers.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Tamers' depiction of Digivolution as painful looking was presumably deliberate since not only was the premise of Tamers "What if Digimon were real?" but the guy credited for it, Chiaki J. Konaka, is known for writing stories with a dark psychological tone.

Honestly the Tamers depiction of Digivolution is still my personal favorite to this day just from the sheer body horror aspect.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Evil Patamon's real name is Tsukaimon and it is indeed a Virus Attribute counterpart to Patamon even Digivolving into Devimon and Virus counterpart to Angemon. What's odd is that Tsukaimon and Devimon other official* Rookie stage DemiDevimon were created in the same year and even acts as a familiar to higher level Digimon just as Tsukaimon does.

*By official, I mean in terms of the anime and recognition by the fanbase since all Digimon have multiple possible stages they can Digivolve from/to.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 29, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, Digimon and Monster Rancher taking liberties with the mechanics of the source material was by necessity to keep the stories from getting bogged down by that kind of minutia. And bare in mind that the eight partner' lines in Adventure were basically cobbled together using whatever Digimon seemed to fit thematically whereas with the lines of later Digimon like Guilmon or Gaomon, most if not all of the stages were developed as a set from the start.

That said while linearity was preferred, the care mistake mechanic was acknowledged in the form of Dark Digivolution: Your gently caress ups come back to bite you in the rear end royally. And while a "I hosed up so now my partner has Digivolved into Numemon" style situation would be a comical counterpoint to that, it's not really practical in a story with life or death stakes. The closest the anime has gotten to that is the failed App Fusion Sukasimon who appeared twice in Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, the first time do to the Gatchmon and Navimon bickering and the second do to Eri losing her concentration during the App Fusion and got its rear end handed to it both times.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

xelada posted:

I noticed you dodging the DemiMeramon, if I remember correctly they are actually friendly, one of them even offers to trade cards or something

Considering that DemiMeramon's Level is In-Training*, I don't think they'd behostile to you since your Digimon would have no problem defeating them.

*Data Squad and by extension Masters which treated it as a Rookie Level Digimon. It also treated Fresh and In-Training as a single Level.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Even after recruiting Sukamon, it's not a bad idea to try getting a Numemon if only to clean up the shame turd from the gym as it is also needed for a sidequest later on.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You've mixed up and android with cyborg: The former is a robot with a human appearance whereas the latter is a being whose physiological functioning is enhanced by mechanical or electronic devices.

Andromon is classified as a Cyborg Type Digimon in the original Japanese materials which was localized as Android Type not unlike how the cyborgs in DBZ were localized as Androids (strictly speaking, their Japanese name is Jinzōningen which translates literally as "Artificial Human") .

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ceraph posted:

Whoops! You are correct, and as a fan of both DBZ and Teen Titans I should know better haha. On that note, though, Andromon definitely looks more like a cyborg, as you can see fleshy bits under the metal. He's kinda gnarly when you really look at him.

That's because Andromon is stated in lore to be an incomplete prototype for the Cyborg Type Digimon. Further upgrading it with Chrome Digizoid resulted in its Mega Level stage, HiAndromon:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 22, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, several Mega Level species do appear in DW as Ultimate Level Digimon. It's just the Mega Level itself that doesn't appear in the game as it was released in Japan in late January of 1999 which was early in the production cycle of the Pendulum series of v-pets, which introduced the Mega Level.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
BlueMeramon is an Ultimate Level stage of Meramon while Icemon is a Champion Level stage for Gotsumon. Hyogamon is the same Level as Ogremon however, and is one of the two variants of it in fact with the other one being Fugamon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 29, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Shamamon* is actually a subspecies of Goblimon and both can Digivolve into the aforementioned Ogremon and Fugamon. There is also a third subspecies, SnowGoblimon, who Digivolves into Hyogamon. Strangely enough, SnowGoblimon's name was never officially localized like Goblimon prior to Next Order, instead keeping the romanization from the Reference Book of SnowGoburimon much to my utter irritation.

Fun fact: Shamamon and Goblimon are localized as Shamanmon and Goblinmon in Frontier and Fusion respectively.

*Official romanization from the Reference Book.

What's funny is that Goblimon and their subspecies are actually among the largest Rookie Level Digimon in the franchise:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To address MarquiseMindfang's comment earlier in the thread, Next Order at least actually gives you the option to turn off certain possible Digivolutions once you unlock and upgrade the Dojo to Level 2 if there is a specific Digimon you want or a Digimon you don't want like in this case Kuwagamon and Kabuterimon respectively. Of course, the only Digimon in N0 I consider rubbish are the straight recolors Growlmon and WarGrowlmon (Yellow), Kyubimon and Taomon (Silver), and Guardromon (Gold) and even those are technically legitimate species.

OrangeFluffySheep's thread actually did dig through the game's code in order to get HerculesKabuterimon.

Speaking of which, my favorite Kuwagamon species is arguably HerculesKabuterimon's rival, GranKuwagamon:

Sadly, this digimon isn't in the original game but it is thankfully in N0.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, many Digimon are either straight recolors like Shamamon or recolors that have been modified in some way like SnowGoblimon as demonstrated below:

Some don't even bother with recoloring at all:

The crowning example however has got to be from Data Squad where this was made :thejoke:. Behold Meteormon in all his glory.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's not just species either, Digivolution patterns can also be repeated. I've already mentioned the fact that Patamon's Virus counterpart Tsukaimon can Digivolve into Devimon as a mirror of Patamon's own Digivolution into Angemon but there's an even better example of this which for the sake of simplicity I'm going to call the Gatomon pattern: Where a small, cat-like Digimon that is Champion Level or the equivalent thereof Digivolves into an Ultimate Level, feminine humanoid Digimon.

The most famous example of this is naturally Gatomon -> Angewomon as well as its Virus counterpart BlackGatomon -> LadyDevimon. Other examples include Mikemon -> Bastemon and Opossummon -> Cho•Hakkaimon from Hunters.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Warmal posted:

I just finished getting caught up. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an LP from you for Next Order. I'll be checking out the live stream videos when I can. But a playthrough that's not blind wouldn't be bad either.

Seconding this, I think you guys could do a good LP of N0.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Digitamamon was a minor antagonist in Adventure who owns a restaurant that Joe and Matt were forced to work for to pay the latter's bill. And while Digitamamon was an rear end in a top hat to them, he's not technically evil.

Speaking of restaurants though, did you know that Digitamamon was one of the Digimon featured in the Lotteria booster pack of the Digimon card game which was presumably a promotion for the chain of fast-food restaurants of the same name:

This restaurant chain is connected to another group of Digimon that were featured in the pack:

Torikaraballmon, named for a kind of chicken nuggets sold at the chain, as well as the Rookie level Burgermon, its variant species EbiBurgermon

And finally the Champion level Burgermon who itself can actually Digivolve into Digitamamon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 16, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ceraph posted:

I had no idea that those existed. Burgermon is adorable and I want one. There should be more food-based Digimon.

There is at least one other food-based Digimon who is actually an alternate Ultimate level stage for Burgermon, Jagamon who's based on the potato and was also featured in the Lotteria pack:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah Kokatorimon, a goofy underling of Adventure's goofiest main villain, Etemon: A rock star digimon in a monkey suit that was dubbed as Elvis Presley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULmOKB3j3q8

Anyway Kokatorimon is cockatrice with its official Japanese name even being Cockatrimon. However while its namesake is a two-legged dragon or serpent-like creature with a rooster's head, Kokatorimon itself emphasizes the chicken elements adding to its goofy charm.

Digivolution-wise, Kokatorimon is one the two digimon officially recognized as a Champion stage of Biyomon in the Digimon Reference Book, the other being Birdramon though Biyomon itself favors Birdramon since, being a giant chicken, Kokatorimon naturally has no flying ability whatsoever which it compensates for with its leg strength. It is also the commonly accepted Champion stage of the Rooster Deva, Sinduramon:

Sinduramon has its own goofy charm thanks in no small part the English Tamers dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fDdK1T_oDM

And as if to either recognize or emphasize the charming goofiness, Kokatorimon was featured in the Lotteria pack as well:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 2, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It helps that Etemon is a the same Level as Myotismon and as such could kick the collective asses of our heroes with the same level of ease and unlike Myotismon actively pursued them when they entered the continent of Server AKA his territory making him a legitimate threat in spite of his own incompetence at times.

Stuff like those two videos are why I gravitate towards the dub in spite of its flaws.

Also fun fact: Etemon and Myotismon are both voiced by Richard Epcar.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of Tyrannomon, did you know that it may have been planned as the original default Champion stage for Agumon rather than Greymon?

You see, Tyrannomon was actually the very first digimon designed. Back when the first V-Pets were being put out, they reused sprites from Bandai's various kaiju virtual pets, with Tyrannomon here being the stand in for Godzilla himself. It also looks more like an obvious evolution of Agumon, one of the very first V-pet Rookie-levels and the franchise's mascot.

However it just never really took off like Greymon, who in the first v-pet is a more easily acquired monster. The reasons for this are probably two-fold; one, again, Greymon is easier to get, which means it was more likely to stick in kids' consciousness than Tyrannomon. Second, MetalGreymon appears in version 1 while Tyrannomon's Ultimate stage was left for a later version.

This is also why the original MetalGreymon wasn't designed with the idea of being part of a franchise-leading Digivolution line in mind. Its posture is craven and cowardly-looking, its skin is blue and death-like, and it is a Virus attribute which wasn't used for a lead partner until Guilmon. The later introduction of the orange MetalGreymon of the Pendulum virtual pets and the anime is clear evidence of a re-visioning that coincides with them finding Greymon to be more popular. The fact that WarGreymon was first designed for the anime project, unlike a lot of the other first-generation Mega stages like Hououmon and HerculesKabuterimon, also lends credence to the idea there was a paradigm shift behind the scenes. Meanwhile, the viral aspects of the original were passed on to Tyrannomon's Ultimate stage, MetalTyrannomon.

Tyrannomon's gotten a resurgence as of late however, with Re: Digitize honoring its status as the first Digimon by giving it a specially designed Mega stage, RustTyrannomon, as well as it being the mascot of the 20th anniversary and as such appearing on the logo for it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hilariously, the Fusion versions of both Greymon and MetalGreymon are blue with orange stripes, possibly as a nod to this even though Digimon in Fusion didn't have Levels or Attributes:

With the predictable joke:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since you now have MetalGreymon (Virus), there is something more you can actually do with it. There is a mechanic called Death Digivolution which as the name suggests involves the Digimon in question Digivolving through death. Digimon World has four of these:
  • SkullGreymon who Death Digivolves from both MetalGreymon (Virus) and Megadramon.
  • Devimon who Death Digivolves from Angemon.
  • Bakemon who Death Digivolves from all of the Rookie Digimon you can raise.
  • And finally Phoenixmon who Death Digivolves from Kokatorimon and along with Bakemon is also obtainable as a partner without Death Digivolution unlike Devimon and SkullGreymon.
Outside of DW, Togemon is able to Death Digivolve into Ponchomon:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I have no idea since in this game, your Digimon has to lose one of its three lives after meeting the conditions for it which are presumably different for each Digimon and even then whether or not it actually happens is luck based.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Warmal posted:

A really interesting thing is to see just how much this game did influence the anime. Basically every main digimon met in the first season exists in this game.

To be fair, this game was released in Japan January 28th of 1999 while Adventure originally aired in Japan March 6th of the same year so they were being made around the same time plus the fact that there also just weren't a lot of Digimon in existence at the time so a lot of Digimon had to be created specifically for World and Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I wanna say that tournament matches are based on who has the higher HP percentage when the timer runs out cause that's how it works in MR if you don't kill the opponent outright.

Like say you have high base HP than your opponent but they bring you down to 1% of your HP while you only get them down to 10% of theirs, you lose.

• Locked thread