Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've really liked everything Jeff Nichols has ever done (I'd put Take Shelter among the best of the new century), but man Loving is boring as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Marjorie Prime - It's Solaris for dummies, C+

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I watched Paddleton. Ray Ramano does some nice work in it, Mark Duplass does his Mark Duplass thing. Like every Duplass Bros adjacent movie, I was adequately entertained and will remember nothing about it a week from now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Promising Young Woman

It's beautifully shot and has a few incredible needle drops, but I think it really struggles to juggle a light-ish tone with a dark subject matter and a pretty broken protagonist. The desire to service all of those elements causes it to stumble pretty badly at the finish line, imo, with an epiolgue that feels like trying to have your cake and eat it too. Would be curious to hear other people's thoughts on it though; part of me wants to make a thread about it, but I fear the discussion could be pretty fraught.

3/5

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

/\ /\ /\

The final act - which kills off the protagonist non-ceremoniously, actually quite irreverently, was a gut punch but a well calculated one. By showing the repercussions of the unique vengeance the Cassy carries out, by hanging on a good 15 minutes after where most vigilante films end, the film is able to zoom back from Cassy's personal issues and make a cultural statement.

That statement is that American culture is macabre meat grinder. Promising youths enter one end and Great American Men exit the other. What's lost in the churn the is innocence, consent and the ambitions of an entire sex as they are made to serve this corrosive patriarchy.

What do you make of the epilogue where it turns out she had the whole contingency plan that exposes her killers, gives the video to the lawyer, etc.? It's framed as a triumphant (or at least bittersweet) moment, but believing that it will result in any meaningful semblance of justice requires a lot of faith in the legal system and power structures that have let her and her friend down so badly for the rest of the film. Her death really brings you down to earth, so once her killer is arrested, the natural thought that went through my head was "well, he's going to successfully claim self-defense and walk from this with no more than a slap on the wrist." Perhaps I'm reading the tone of that ending wrong, but it kind of feels like "well, she spiraled with grief and rage for a decade and ultimately lost her life, but at least she managed to ruin that guy's wedding."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

The Little Things — Rami Malek brings such a weird energy to every role he plays but not in a way I’ve ever liked

A movie so boring and inert that when Jared Leto showed up and started doing goofy Jared Leto stuff, I was like, "well, at least I'm feeling something and remember I'm alive now." 2/5

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I fuckin’ love that movie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In the Heights - 3.5/5

Crosspost from another thread, which leans more toward nitpicks about the adaptation.

General Dog posted:

Did anybody else watch In the Heights yet? As someone who's never seen the live show but has enjoyed the soundtrack for a long time, I largely enjoyed it. The casting was pretty good, the staging on a lot of the big musical numbers was good to great.

My main complaint with it, and I don't know if I've seen much writing about this, is how committed the adaptation seems to shaving any rough edges off of the characters and the community:

-Usnavi can't reach his dream of buying a shop in the Dominican just because he got lucky with Abuela's winning lottery ticket, it must be established that he's already bootstrapped and saved enough money to get there on his own.

-Nina can't be shown to have failed any of her classes at Stanford, her dropping out now has to be an ethical decision about whether she belongs away from home at an institution that doesn't value her identity and her lived experiences, even though that new motivation doesn't really jive with a lot of her song lyrics.

-The threat of post-blackout looting in "Blackout" has been removed in the adaptation, which renders a really show-stopping sequence for the stage show strangely lifeless onscreen.

I don't think any of these things ruin the movie or anything like that, but I do think that a bit of relatability is lost with changes like that, when there's seemingly a fear of portraying anyone under-privileged as anything other than noble and studious and fully competent.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

Ready Player One — avoided this like the plague when it came out despite otherwise liking a lot of Spielberg’s late-career work. Feels like it’s been getting at least a whiff of a re-evaluation lately, and good reviews for West Side Story made me want to fill in the gap.

It doesn’t hang together at all as a movie but in the middle of a dumb crypto, NFT and Metaverse gold rush it at least feels pretty accurate. It’s easy to read as an extremely bleak satire of the entertainment industry right now — and I don’t think that’s completely unintentional. Mark Rylance helps sell that take with a great performance as a barely functional autistic tech God. Ben Mendelsohn’s also good in a Ben Mendelsohn type role.

Unfortunately, the rest of the cast is awful and all the mocap is terrible compared to what Spielberg did a few years earlier in TinTin. By the end any juice the concept has is gone and you just want it to stop. That feels timely, too

"You killed my mother's sister"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’d be willing to give Ad Astra another shot if they made a narration-free cut (al la Blade Runner). It wouldn’t fix everything; but it would help.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wanted to look up my take on the last act, because I remember feeling pretty strongly about it:

General Dog posted:

When he highjacked a rocket ship and caused the death of three astronauts, I thought he had punched a one-way ticket. I don't think that was an unreasonable assumption. Then all of a sudden at the end, I'm supposed to be invested in his newfound desire to get back and live his life? What the hell does he have to return to?

His journey to Neptune also feels easier than it should- his dad is further out than anybody's ever been, but the trip from Mars to Neptune passes without incident. We're told that it's 79 days, but the movie doesn't really succeed in selling the length and loneliness of that trip. It's a much bigger ordeal getting from Earth to Mars, which is presumably a fairly well-traveled route. You get this payoff when he returns to earth where the hand reaches out to him and the camera lingers on it meaningfully, like "finally, I am in a spiritual and physical place to accept human contact again", but he's spent so little of the movie's run time actually, physically alone that it doesn't really have the impact that it seems to be aiming for.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CODA Too precious by 200%. Was this adopted from a young adult novel? Has the subtlety and color grade of a children’s movie, but it’s a bit too horny for Disney Channel. I didn’t know much about this movie going in beyond the general premise its Academy nominations. Certainly didn’t expect to hate it, but hate it I did. 1.5/5

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah the choir stuff and the director are really bad, but I’d also argue that her family seems so unequipped to exist and function in the world without her that it seems like kind of an offensive portrayal. I mean, I can imagine that scenario similar to this existing, but it feels like subject matter that needed a lighter touch than this movie was apparently capable of.

I also think the performances from the family are good solid the board, but they’re let down by the writing. The story is just complete trash.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 19, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The sequence on the fishing boat where the dad and brother have the inspector/auditor/whatever with them is a real low point. They spend what seems like the better part of an hour minimum where they never convey to the inspector that they’re deaf, no does the inspector attempt to interact with them enough to figure it out herself. Then there’s the confusing business of her either surreptitiously calling the coast guard or making no effort to alert the men to their approach, and then at the end of the day everyone yells at Ruby for not having been there. All conflict is manufactured by people behaving nonsensically. This is the most glaring case of it, but so much of the movie is made up of stuff like this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not to say that the scenes belonged in the movie or really worked for me, but the thing with the guy speaking in a cartoonish accent to his Japanese wives so strange and so specific that I think it almost has to be based on a thing someone actually remembered seeing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kimi- Rear Window meets 70s paranoia thriller, what's not to like? 4/5

Being the Ricardos- The film version of walking in on your parents having sex, but if Aaron Sorkin is also there. 3/5

Nightmare Alley- Not quite sure what the movie is getting at, if anything, but it's a fun cast and it sure does look nice. 3.5/5

tick, tick...BOOM!- A strong first entry for the HIV Expanded Universe 3.5/5

The Eyes of Tammy Faye- I don't know who was asking for this, but sure why not. 3/5

Looking back on Letterboxd, 20 of the 31 movies I've rated for 2021 are 3-3.5/5. Sounds about right.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The thing that gets me about Space Jam 2 is just how it oozes contempt for its audience basically from beginning to end. The scene where they basically pitch Space Jam 2 to Lebron and he says it's a terrible idea, the villain being the Algorithm, etc. The self-aware elements actually make it much worse.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm partial to the George C. Scott version, but it and the Muppet version are like 1A and 1B.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Of course there's no "right way" to numerically rate movies, but there are a lot of movies that I consider flawless that I still only rate 4/5. I think anything above that is just a matter of personal preference. I think on Letterboxd I've rated something like 50 out of 1500 movies 5/5.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought 2:45 was a pretty bulky package for two B+ action setpieces, but I think said setpieces still delivered the goods.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's for sure the weakest of the Bird/McQuarrie era, but it's still a lot more competently and cleverly crafted than most of what passes for big-budget action these days.

Just the gags with the Fiat in Rome beat out anything in the last 3 F&F movies or Dial of Destiny or, dare I say it, John Wick 4.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

It Follows Up

"It's Ready to Settle Down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Creator (2023) - 2.5/5

It’s extremely impressive that Gareth Edwards made a movie on an $80 million budget that looks better than some $200 million movies, but I’d like to see him do something with a better script some time.

*Checks notes* oh God, he’s slated for a Jurassic World sequel.

Also feels like maybe this was going to be a hard R al la District 9 at some point before they decided to go for a broader audience and removed the blood and gibs from the render a few explosions. I don’t think the mildly grittier, bloodier version of the movie is substantially better, though.