Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you generally enjoyed action movies or anime then I definitely think you'll like Alita: Battle Angel. It's not perfect by any means but it's really cool and fun.

Cold Pursuit is fun, too, if you like dark comedies and aren't too caught up in plot holes and such you might like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I did not like The Lobster but I'm surprised how much vitriol its gotten since being released on Netflix just because how much it was ardently defended when it was released.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

AstroWhale posted:

Stroszek:

We are all dancing chickens. Or chickens playing piano. Or ducks playing a kick drum. Or bunnies putting out a fire. How cute was that? :3:

Yes, it was very good, better than Fitzcarraldo, which I hated.

The crazy thing about this scene is that the place is somewhere practically pulled from a place that I frequently dream about. I wonder if I saw the movie as a young child or something because it was so gosh darn surreal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bringing Up Baby is the progenitor of the light-on-plot screwball comedy. See it if you're into that sort of thing, or are an AFI completionist.
See Intruder if you want to have an informed position on the raging debate as to which film is better-Intruder or Lakeview Terrace.
I think Detective Pikachu is a pretty easy sell for Pokemon fans, but if you're a fan of 90s awkward buddy films like Who's Harry Crumb and Short Circuit 2 , with a little bit of Who Framed Roger Rabbit I think you'll dig this one.
Hunger Games was a rewatch, but I still really enjoyed it and I think it's a good watch if you like armed teen angst and lots of people saying "gently caress the government' to a really lovely government.
Lastly, I think you're a fan of good-bad movies, I think Lost Demon is something you will enjoy. It has classic good-bad film elements like flashbacks-in-flashbacks, gross sex, weird pregnancies, unlikeable protagonists, poorly-lighted scenes (taking place in both day and night) and sleep-inducing lulls between extremely gory kills.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Zogo posted:

Is there another title for this film?

Zogo posted:

Is there another title for this film?

Haha, I mixed two different Bigfoot movies on accident. I meant Night of the Demon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Meg (2018): C/C-

This is a pretty by-the-numbers summer blockbuster with a smaller scale monster (compared to the Godzillas, Kongs, and Rampage monsters out there), filled with pandering to China in order to get some of that Chinese box office money. It's not good, but I'll be damned if Jason Statham and Cliff Curtis didn't give it their all. It's an entertaining enough watch if you want to put something on to kill some time and you're bored of Jaws and Deep Blue Sea, but there are many better movies out there.

For some reason I can't hear the title of this film and not think of The Duff, a very different movie.

---

Ma is a film that is very odd even though it's walking on some well-trodden ground. It's worth seeing for a good Octavia Spencer performance.

See Dark Phoenix if you are morbidly curious about what might end up being Fox's last shot at this. For what it's worth this is the First Class film I like the most but that's damning with faint praise.

Toy Story 4 is very sweet. See this if you've seen the others. I didn't actually think the series needed a sequel and that 3 was closure enough, but I like the additional step they took with 4.

There are at least three shorts worth seeing in Nightmare Cinema. Maybe four (still thinking about that last one)! They're kind of more . . . esoteric . . . . genre shorts than actually scary for the most part but I had a good time with most of the film.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 24, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

bort posted:

I saw the 4K remaster of The Shining tonight. :aaaaa: It’s so beautiful. Every detail seems just right, and the score is reconstructed and sounds like an orchestra. No way this movie could ever lose points, in my book, but this is like walking through a museum of the movie. 10/10

I saw a remaster (not the current one going around) like 4-5 years ago and it was amazing. This film is so perfect on a very big screen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

so who's seen Midsommar

I think it is worth watching if you like a very pretty film that in a way is like dominoes; you know exactly what is going to happen but the falling of the pieces manages to be silly fun.

It's also worth watching if you are a fan of this film I'm going to put in spoilers because if you've seen it you'll know everything that happens in Midsommer just by the comparison: The Wickerman (1973).

To break format, I'm not absolutely sure I liked it but I talked about it for days and smile at some of the silly things that happened in the film when I think of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

AstroWhale posted:

Once upon a time in Hollywood: There was no point to it. It was meandering until the finale. It was self-indulgent to the max.
And I loved it. Shoot it into my veins.

For whatever reason I never got around to posting a review of this but these are my thoughts pretty much word for word.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm sure you've seen El Camino by now if such a thing interests you, and I'm not sure it has any appeal to someone who's not a fan of the Breaking Bad show but if you are it's really good.

See One Cut of the Dead please. The less you know of it the better but if you want to watch the trailer, fine. But really it's great and should be shown in editing 101 class in undergrad film school.

See Wrinkles the Clown if you really enjoy watching videos of stupid kids on youtube I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
See Parasite if you are into class anxiety handed with the full array of seriousness and aren't put off by somewhat melodramatic tonal shifts South Korean films often take.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel better about just boycotting the movie because it has K.G.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
See 1917 just for the craft if you're a film nerd, but honestly as someone who just doesn't like war movies, I still liked the story and tension quite a bit, so I think it's worth it even if you don't care about how the sausage is made.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
See Bad Boys 3 if you're looking for one of the better "we're too old for this poo poo" sequel of an already established series. I normally find this style of film to be pretty sad, but the chemistry between Lawrence and Smith is so good that it really makes it all work.

The Day After Tomorrow is Roland Emmerich hilarious lack of understanding what it's like to have a job at its finest, but it actually paints a picture that isn't all that different from at least some of the models . . . . just . . . obviously not that instant of course, so it's worth seeing if you want to see what the world is going to at least possibly be like for your great grandkids, or, maybe just your grandkids. Beyond that though, even though it's really similar to Emmerich's other work, his character work still manages to be sweet and simple.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 26, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
See Birds of Prey if you want to see a wildly inconsistent film that I think ultimately ends up on the side of "decent winter action flick"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Portrait of a Lady on Fire is really good, see it if you have a stern enough stomach to take on a story that in some ways is oppressively sad (although like the protagonist I think I ultimately found the happiness). The tension, the love, the friendship, and the loss, all bleed through the screen and the acting is top notch. I have a feeling this one is going to stick with me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
AFI Top 100 Watch (34 down, 66 to go): Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

I've been slowly, at the rate of about two a year, going through this list. I've been putting this one off because I thought it was an older film, and really, most of the old films that I haven't already seen in regular life or in college on AFI Top 100 are like, "well I see how influential/important this film is to modern cinema but it's a slog." However this is a 1967 film.

I was expecting something that I'd say "well it's of its time and I'm sure it's going to say racism is solved by this relationship" In actuality, it's a direct challenge to liberalism, and the perils of forgetting your values when you age, and that love won't protect you from pain, although will make enduring that pain worthwhile. Good stuff, and definitely worth keeping in mind today.

The acting is brilliant, really from everyone; the facial expressions, the sidelong looks, the steadiness of voice (or lackthereof), it really drives this film. The script is subtle and funny, the set design is great (even if you can tell that the horizon is a painting and models) and a contributor to the story. I definitely see why this is on the top 100.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

Lawrence of Arabia
5/5

First time I ever watched this. Its a masterpiece.

It gets replayed in 70mm once or twice a year at a local theater and I want to see it for the first time like that but something always comes up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
AKA Jane Roe is worth seeing if Jane Roe is just sort of a name you always heard but never really knew the story of the person.

Fight Club seems a bit trite now since most of its ideas are now fairly mainstream, and most of this stuff was not that original to begin with, but it might be worth watching to see what in many ways was the entry point for many of these ideas into Gen X minds in the late 90s.

Adventures in Babysitting is a completely different movie than I remembered. It is more racist, more classist and the super hero scene is way less significant than in my memory. But, it is a charming movie and you can turn your brain off and not think about it too hard if you want, or, you can see it to see what the fears of upper middle class America were of the cities in the late 80s, early 90s.

Hedrigall posted:

Oh yeah I’ve seen it before. I just don’t like it as much anymore. All grit and grime with no real point. And seeing how it basically influenced a generation of toxic white men who didn’t get it really puts a stinker on it for me

I wrote my mini gimmick review before reading this but I definitely agree with this 100%

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 8, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This was the year I was going to see Lawerence of Arabia in 70 MM for sure )=

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

was it going to be rereleased in theaters?

I don't know if it was going to go wide but my local indy theater shows it nearly every year. They did a major reno last year and got a 70mm cut, but I was busy that day. I was like "oh no big deal they'll do it next year."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The title “Funeral Parade of Roses” sounds like a film a goth character would make in a movie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bill and Ted: Face The Music is worth seeing if you liked the original and the sequel; it's a sweet story that I enjoyed quite a bit, although I don't know if it means anything to someone without context.

Tenent looks amazing, and is a decent spy flick even without the premise, which I found interesting even if I didn't completely follow it. Now. . . my philosophy for reviews in this thread is that I say why every movie is worth seeing because I really do feel that just about every movie has some value, but I do feel though that I should say that this was a bad decision to go to a theater during COVID and this was NOT worth it. Even if it's a giant 100 seat auditorium with only maybe 12 people, someone is going to blow off their assigned seat and sit in the same row as you and cough up a storm (as a person with a persistent cough, I know not every cough means someone's spreading but even with that rational thought it's hard not to be uncomfortable with someone coughing near you), everyone takes their masks off and most people don't put them back on. I probably would've been able to rationalize it being worth it if this was like an A movie, but it's like a B, and while I don't think a TV can capture the visuals, this isn't showing anything that hasn't been seen before. For some reason they gave everyone a full free pass at the end, I don't even know why (something about the sound? It was bassy but that is just how the local IMAX is), so I guess there's that.

piratepilates posted:

It is actually an early Japanese queer movie, starring a number of "crossdressers" (to be honest I forget how exactly they should be identified, I believe the movie calls them crossdressers) in a weird little art film with a shock ending. It's a little disjointed and goofy at times, but a fun and interesting watch, and an interesting look at queer cinema in Asia from 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteaHqdX6hU

This sounds like it's up my alley

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat if it's as good as Super Mario Bros and One Cut of the Dead then I need to check this Fitzcarraldo out someday.

Latest movie I saw was Fatal Games (1984), and it's worth seeing because while the killer is predictable, the motive is wild, and it turns out there were a lot of other things being set up the whole time to be delivered on in the climax that are hard to see coming, which is pretty cool. I am going to give some content warnings for this, but they do spoil the film, so maybe just dive in and prepare to be offended? C/W/Spoiler: Transphobia

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Halloween Kills, what an . . . . experience. I'm glad I saw it. The joy I've had in talking about it with people over the last week really justifies the time spent watching it. It's bonkers that this got made. I wish I could see the notes from Peacock. Or maybe there were no notes at all. What entity is responsible for the film that got made? I want to shake their or theirs hands. What a brave decision, to finally toss any sort of regard for the people who just happen to die, and focus on the real victim here: Michael Myers. drat I hope a Rifftrax of this gets made someday.

I braved the movie theater which might be among the more dangerous places you can go in Arizona to see Dune. I enjoyed it a ton and am glad I went to IMAX for it. I didn't have any trouble tracking the story, which is something I was warned about but didn't seem to be a problem. Yes, I'm super tired of white savior films but well...I really liked this.

I re-watched It Follows and it held up quite well for me; I always worry about the difference between seeing something like this opening night in a theater with a friend and a great crowd, that it won't be the same watching in my living room. No problem here. There are some nice bits that I just didn't get the first time I saw it so I'm glad I rewatched it. It remains one of my favorite horror films ever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, I suppose you're in luck that it isn't one of those. :)

That is good to know for sure.

Bottom Liner posted:

We ended up in the wrong theater the other night and tried to watch this since we missed our movie's start. We only made it 20 minutes in. What a loving trainwreck. One of the most bizarre and poorly made things I've ever watched. The tone, pacing, and acting were worse than amateur Youtube horror short films I've seen. The talent show bar scene is just pure strain :psyduck: and not in a fun way. We left at the part where he stabs the guy in the car then hits the girl with the car door making her shoot herself.

It's truly . . . . something else. I've decided that it is just Final Destination 6 and we are seeing the move from the perspective of death.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's not perfect, and honestly it's been a long time since I've seen a parody film that was, but A Clüsterfünke Christmas sends up the Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas film well enough. If you want to see those made fun of a bit I think you'll like this.

Love Hard is one of the better of these formulaic Lifetime christmas movies I've seen. They give away a ton just in the description but it didn't ruin it for me. What helps it is a pretty witty script that stops its adherence to the formula less annoying.

A former famous poster on this website suggested A Husband For Christmas. It kind of came around at the end but I almost quit watching like three times.

I loved the new Matrix. To me it really was the best way to bring it up to current times.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Coaaab posted:

I think a film that's viciously cynical about space exploration, the bodies that both exploit & are exploited in the name of it & God, a future of still rampant corporatization as capitalism continues being elevated to the sacrosanct, and the primal fear of no one being out there to answer our calls for loneliness has worth, it's just that Ad Astra ends up only just remaining on this side of the threshold of "good"

There was definitely some good ideas to the film, and it'll probably end up being fairly prescient, I just, really really really didn't like it as a whole. So much that I didn't post about it in this thread because I couldn't think of anything nice to say about it even weeks after seeing it, it made me really mad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Devil At 4 O'Clock's title went over my head, and it's a strange movie that won't surprise you much . . . maybe until the last quarter of the movie where they're like, "oh you thought this was cliche huh? Suck on this" throughout the rest of the movie. I'm not sure I liked it but didn't feel like my two hours were wasted.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Latest movie I saw is Malibu High. Extremely gross sex is throughout this whole movie. It was a fun movie to laugh at though. I would say don't watch though if you need every subplot introduced to be resolved.

NOPE was the only movie I've seen since the pandemic that I was glad I risked my health to see in a theater. I also really loved Everything Everywhere All at Once and am glad I watched it at home even though it's hard for me to maintain my interest when I'm not in a theater.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

A Night to Dismemeber (1983)

Complete and utter loving poo poo.

0/10

It looked like 0/10 movie to me from the trailers but there were enough good reviews that I admit I'm tempted.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

RRR is one of the best movies I've seen all year. It's like an Indian Kung Fu Hustle; the magnum opus of "Bollywood" (apparently actually "Tollywood"?) over the top action/comedy/drama (it wears a lot of hats in a three hour run time.)

It's fun, novel, colorful and weird in a way the endless parade of western CGI action films aren't.

I really need to see RRR, I've only heard positive.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I saw Terms of Endearment. It is a meme for being a sad movie (or at least when I was growing up, and at some point we got an uncle’s old Mad magazines where they had a send up). But it’s actually pretty witty, even as things are falling apart. The acting is really good and the story is interesting.

Kind of interesting that it won an Oscar because it feels like a mostly forgotten film but for “I am watching every Oscar film” completionists but I feel like it deserves a little more than that (even though someone doing that is what brought the film to my attention recently) people should check it out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Banshees of Inisherin was a good movie that I really wish I hadn’t seen. Just too brutal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Night Swim (2024) is hilarious. I have so many questions. Some of them are answered by the director also being the film's writer. It's about a baseball player and his family who swim at night, and I"m uncertain if the writer had any familiarity with baseball outside of baseball movies, the practice of swimming, or the concept of night or family. I legit wondered if this script was heavily punched up by chatgpt or something because everything feels just a single shade away from being outright plagiarism. There is no way you could describe the plot of this film to someone without them thinking you were bullshitting them.

To me, this is is art.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 15, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I . . . . what is going on here?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This is a thread where we talk about movies and are generally cool with each other, please don't ruin it with a weird fight. I'm sorry I insulted AI.

Philthy posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

A classic that still holds up 40 years later. A serial killer who preyed on little kids is murdered by parents in Springfield, Ohio. He comes back to haunt their teenage kid's dreams and kill them one by one. The movie starts off with one of the most brutal kills, and continues with many iconic scenes from then on. I remember seeing this as a kid at a huge birthday slumber party whose parents let him rent this and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when we were around 10. I'm pretty sure at least 4 or 5 of those kids never slept that night.

4.5/5

I watched that this year and liked it quite a bit as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I rewatched the first Dune since I plan to see the second one with a ~free ticket~ and felt a little fuzzy on the first. While the sound was mixed better for my headphones than the theater I saw it (plus subtitles which I like), it is a film that loses something in home viewing. The vastness of the expanses and the creepiness of some of the creepy scenes just kind of doesn't hit the same way. Still really good though, is my rating.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I agree with the previous posts about Dune 2.

I really enjoyed the de-saturated sequence, and lots of crowd shots that were references to the 1936 Olympics, I love that Villeneuve gives me treats like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Master and Commander was pretty good. I don't know why I never saw this before, it's very up my wheelhouse as a sea aficionado.