Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Crazy Rich Asians : this is a kind of 'switch your brain off and enjoy the escapism' kind of movie, but unfortunately my brain can't do that. It's well shot, acted, and has some decent laughs, but any movie which expects me to sympathise with and actually cheer for people with such obscene wealth is not one I can get on board with.

The attempted moral that integrity is more important than money is also completely undermined by the film's ending, as the protagonist just gets to have her cake and eat it anyway, so no true sacrifice has to be made.

6/10 I guess, as it was reasonably entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl: what could have been insufferably twee is actually pretty decent. It's genuinely funny and touching throughout, and the consistent use of experimental cinematography and claymation/stop motion stuff ends up being engaging and actually having a really strong emotional impact in the films climax.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
A United Kingdom (2016) - Based on the true-life romance between Seretse Khama, heir to the throne of Bechuanaland (later Botswana, of which he was president), and his wife Ruth Williams Khama. David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike portray Seretse and Ruth, respectively.

A fascinating story told in the most sterile way possible. In its rush to get through the story, the film fails to give its protagonists any character or chemistry whatsoever; the script is clunky, unimaginative and direct throughout, with a whole lot of telling and not a lot of showing. The London-based scenes look very fake and theatrical (unintentionally, I think), and the scenes in Bechuanaland restrict themselves to basically just one village and tribe, so we can only get a sense that it's the fate of an entire nation at stake because the characters repeatedly tell us so.

Like Amma Asante's other work, everything about this film is workman-like at best. She is obviously good at finding excellent and important stories, but for now lacks the chops to create movies which match the significance of the source material.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The Green Knight : just awesome. Earthy, creepy, weird and compelling. The whole thing feels like a dream. Can't wait to watch it again!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Just chiming in to say that you're doing God's work watching all these movies and posting about them, Phil. I love it, and I love you.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Who the gently caress is Sam Esmail and why does he think he deserves to Kojima his name all over that poster?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Philthy posted:

28 Weeks Later (2007)

The follow-up to the amazing 2002 movie 28 Days Later. This one has an amazing cast, and it goes hard from the beginning, then goes even harder almost midway through. All hell breaks loose, and it's tense as hell. Unfortunately, the final act falls apart with ridiculous action sequences usually reserved for 80s Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, which throws off the really well sculpted apocalyptic vibe entirely, and even has a show-down with a zombie out of nowhere. The last half is just so amazingly terrible. It goes from 4 stars to 2 really quick.

3/5

Just that classic horror sequel mistake of thinking bigger = better.

What really annoyed me in 28 weeks: in 28 days that gsybe score is just brooding for whole movie, before finally reaching that amazing crescendo at the films climax. In 28 weeks, they do that exact trick like 4 times throughout the film.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Philthy posted:

Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1
Directed by Lloyd Kaufman

The last Troma movies I watched were Surf Nazis Must Die and The Toxic Avenger, and that was way back in high school. They were stupid fun. Nothing has changed, they're still making the same movies. It's like one big dumb party movie with boobs, dicks, goop, and a ridiculous plot. Its just really stupid humor peppered with fart noises and more boobs and chicks making out with each other and a duck. I love that these movies exist, it gives Japan some competition. Sort of. Or is it the other way around. Who cares. *farrrrrt*

3/5
Lol never has a gif made me more interested in seeing a movie. Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Philthy posted:

Welp, my horror-ish movie-a-day streak will come to a close. I'm going on vacation, and I'm pretty sure I wont have much time to watch any horror flicks. :/

October 6th through March 20th. 202 movies watched.

Thank you for your service :zpatriot: I've been loving your reviews. I am in awe of how many movies you watch.