Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hashim posted:

The Merchants, if they gain power, are able to declare a war for Moroccan colonies. Not sure if it's the best thing to do in our current situation, though, at least not when the vast majority of the new world is still free for colonisation.

A fair point. It might be worth refocusing on South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I go with the Merchants!

In spite of all reason and sense, it would seem based on our illustrious history that corruption runs rampant when the Taifas are in power as opposed to the people who's foremost concern is to make money. It boggles the mind! Only the Merchants can bring stability and order to this divided land, and refocus our efforts on where true power lies: The New World.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Out of idle curiosity what Trait does our extremely legitimate and most worthy Sultan have?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hashim posted:

Intricate Webweaver...

Hahahahaha

Hahahahaha

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mikl posted:

Staying with the merchants. Also, first point of order: especially after what she's done, the witch must be removed from the halls of power swiftly and permanently, permanently if necessary. We can't trust the Sultan to take decisions without consulting his accursed mother, and females and finances don't mix.

On the other hand, the country is wracked with revolts 24/7, Qadis is in desperate need of repairs, and the New World is slipping out of our fingers due to the baboons in the New Taifas squandering wealth immeasurable.

We have no time for a civil war over the Sultan's esteemed mother, and that is no less than the consequences of the path you are suggesting!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ralepozozaxe posted:

We are straight up the worst Muslims in the world right now, and Allah has punished (and continues to punish) us for it. We are sending money to CRUSADERS to stop our brothers from retaking the holy land. The Ulama are needed now more than ever.

Oh, yes? And what would you have us do? Bend knee to the so called Caliphate? Because they have made their intentions clear! Let us roll out the welcoming carpet for them across all of North Africa!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

catlord posted:

gently caress, we're so close to finishing up claiming the rest of Iberia. The last sultan made a right mess of things right at the end, we just need that little bit more. I'm torn, we need the stability, which makes me think Merchants, but I'm thinking that either the Taifas or the Loyalists will finally let us reach our goal of total peninsular control.

I feel like at this juncture making that last grab could cost us everything. The boat is drat near coming apart.

I feel you though. We're so close :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Frionnel posted:

We really should pick Humanist as our next idea group.

We really should with this situation we've got. And that's why the Merchants need to win.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Snipee posted:

This is still a less optimal choice especially for the games after EU4 though. It's a bandaid for a situation that requires surgery.

Truly, a less optimal choice in this LP????

Did you miss the CK2 segment or what :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

We have established a strong presence in the Caribbean, and it is time to look beyond. Al-Andalus's future lies in the great rivers of the New World! I propose the Riverine Colonization Act, mandating that we establish colonial nations around the two great rivers of the New World, with priority given to the Northern River as we have no outpost there. He who controls the rivers, controls trade. (basically create colonial nations around the Mississippi and Amazon, starting with the Misssissippi.)

Here here!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I am proposing the Stepping Stone Act. Instead of focusing on the continental rivers, let us leapfrog from our islands to the landmass directly beyond them - Central America, and make that our next colonial priority.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 10, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

I'm a little biased but I think this is worth considering re: the river act.

Seriously. I admit I made the mistake of being distracted by the rivers as well, but I owned up and proposed the Stepping Stone Act to make up for it.

Vote for the Stepping Stone Act! Central America has Gold, God, and Glory!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

Colonizing the rivers is more narratively interesting, creates more future Andalusi successor states, and it's not like the Majlis voting is all about playing optimally anyway. We went a solid century without converting all the land we conquered, after all.

On the other hand, Central America in this timeline is full of actual Native empires and South America and North America are comparatively empty.

In this case, the optimal play is actually also the more narratively interesting play because it puts us in more direct contact with actual players.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Seriously look at this map. See where all the interesting poo poo is? It's in and around Central America! Don't you want to neighbor the great Polynesian Californian state???

Of course you do. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Only thing I'd say Hashim is to delete my vote from the Riverine Colonization Act, since I abandoned that to advocate for Stepping Stone.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 10, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rodyle posted:

I strongly suggest our Merchant compatriots focus on taking all the islands, not the mainland.

If the Fxxers act passes along with one of the mainland acts, we can do both.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hashim posted:

So I started playing the next update...

This is gonna go well.

Truly won't someone think of the poor Moroccans, they're such good Muslims! :jerkbag:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

"We should attack Morocco and take their poo poo."
"Oh no Morocco allied our rival, those traitors!"

Come on, guys.

I mean, they literally allied France first. That was what started this whole thing. They joined forces with the premier Christian power out of nowhere, before any of that.

Why there be so many Morocoo apologists in the Majlis? Are you folks truly loyal to the Jizrunids? :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TildeATH posted:

You idiots literally made us turn down an alliance with them.

And how useful would an alliance with them have been at that time, precisely? We still had a large amount of Iberia left to reconquer, allying Morocco at that time would have been at best useless (if we opted not to attack the powers in Iberia subordinate to France) by virtue of blunting our ability to act, and at worst actively counter productive when we did it anyway and they chose France over us!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wouldn't bending knee to the Caliph just sap our income and gain us nothing? At our distance, it's not like they're going to be a useful military ally or meaningfully come to our defense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Oh man, if only someone had foreseen that going to war with the Almoravids would be a bad idea, and result in Al-Andalus being caught in a two front war. Truly a shame. I guess we're Poland now.

I propose the We Need Tequila Now Act Establish 5 colonies on the mainland of Mexico.

Supporting

We need to focus.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

everydayfalls posted:

This is bad and you should feel bad for suggesting it!

How is a muslim power all the way on the other side of the med going to help us with France right on our door step? Al Andalus is a great power so we should start acting like it.

More Friends fewer Enemies act
Shore up relations with the muslim nations in the western med. Yes that includes Morocco. Seek alliances where possible, at the very least reduce their hate of us enough so they stop allying with France.

They hate us because we keep trying to kick in their teeth in every other generation. So quit doing that and concentrate on our real enemy France!

Seriously Ulema. Listen to this man. Make amends with Morocco by all means but acknowledging the so called Caliph costs us much for no discernible benefit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rodyle posted:

It's Time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

I propose we secure an alliance with Mali. They might be willing to help attack Morocco, so I think it's worth pursuing. While they are unlikely to be much help in any of our other wars, it can't hurt to broaden our alliance network.

I support this measure, for Soup Du Jours proposal is redundant with several points of Rodyle's bill and we need every advantage we can get against Morocco.

We cannot gently caress this up. This is our last chance to get the power to survive the big blue blob.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Nevermind i was wrong then!

Agreed.

Proposing the Bill of Rights Act:
The Sultan is to put an end to our constant rebellion problem by adopting Humanist ideas.

I support this act!

All who dwell in the borders of our glorious Sultanate should think of themselves first and foremost as Andalusians!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Actually, could we get a detailed look at the state of the New World Gharbia? I think we could do with a refresher course.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Honestly I kind of want New England to do okay for itself. Literal monarchy in exile 13 colonies is hilarious/adorable. :shobon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The League of Merchants

The New World is where our eyes must turn.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Were their Carribean holdings among the colonies that rebelled? Because if so why aren't we obsessing over that

The Carribean trade node is out economic backbone. We should be striving to fortify our control over it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Proposing the It Was Just Laying Around Act: Conquer the colonies that have rebelled from Morocco.

Supporting this

I do not understand this movement to undermine this act in favor of the Bazaar. Because it would make us "like the Taifas"? They're independent colonies ripe for the taking you fools! Why on earth would we not want to solidify our control over the Carribean that has been our lifeblood through the darker times?!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Because every Merchant government that tried to be warmongers has sucked.

Do you grasp basic concepts like "circumstances" and "resources".

Is it, in fact, conceivable to you that attacking independent undefended colonies might be rather a bit easier than fighting Morocco and France simultaneously?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

B - The Majlis

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah I get that. And I get why the Taifas complained so much about the last change in ruling faction. I mean I've been playing Merchants from the start and I see the other side of this: Merchants get enough members to rule, and then they start doing things they're not well suited to, like wars of conquest. But these new members come from some other factions in order to start wars as merchants. Here it's especially baffling: if you wanted to go to war with Morocco or whoever, why not just stick with the Taifas? That'd have been fine. There's no point in having a ruling majority if you're going to squander it doing poo poo that your new ruling faction isn't suited for and your old ruling faction was.

I think people who are laying this at the feet of the Merchants/Merchants advocating for war didn't really read the update. Picking a fight with the Celts was our real problem, war with Morocco was fine and tenable as a prospect.

Then when we had plausible outs from the situation, the Sultan did his level best to sabotage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Celts or Moroccans, whatever, if you want a war, play Taifas.

But yeah we're really kinda overlooking the Uppity Sultan angle, which happens to have some basis in the faction system as well, but nobody's ranting about the Loyalists.

There's a very simple reason to be Merchants while advocating for war. It secures an economic advantage and allows for more extensive colonization as per the rules Hashim has set forth. Being able to colonize as much as possible is ideal in our current situation, and the lack or Taifa military advantages doesn't preclude military action as long as you pick sensible targets. Morocco is not our military peer even with the lack of Taifa bonuses, the Celts are a different story.

So yeah that's why Merchants made sense even with an intent to make war.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hopefully we can eliminate the Ulema entirely since they mostly sided with the Sultan. Their treatment of the Dhimmi mocks the traditions and institutions of Al-Andalus :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Whatever you're doing thread, don't stop. :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

How dare you! The Ulama have been a part of the Majils since the very beginning, and we stand with you now, at your side, even as you try to paint us as the enemy.

Your ilk conspired with the mad Sultan to engage in acts illegal and in contravention of the sacred traditions of our nation. Rats fleeing a sinking ship I tell you :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

B

That update was exhausting to read. No more. No more. :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Snipee posted:

Yup. You idiot Merchants deserve this.

Don't hurt yourself jumping through all those hoops chief :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splitting the Merchants into some kind or Iberian West Indies company focused on colonialism and an internal security/development faction combined with the remnants of the Ulema could work? A populist faction of sorts? I'm not sure.