Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
New Taifas:

The Christian Kingdoms of Iberia are an existential threat to Al-Andalus. They'll simply have to go before anything else can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We must secure our natural borders. :wotwot:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the glorious and unopposable Taifas, propose that we focus our efforts in annexation on the three westernmost Christian kingdoms of Iberia: Portugal, Galicia and Leon.

These realms are the weakest of our neighbors and the most vulnerable to direct military force: we must crush them before greater Christian kingdoms, France especially, decide to interfere with them. Every Christian king in Iberia is threat and a wild card- it's intolerable!

I agree with this policy. It will have the benefit of allowing us to more easily contain Aragon, who we should not immediately seek a conflict with until we have a countermeasure for their French backers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I, Emir Hussein al-Paragonia, do propose that al-Andalus must strengthen its navy to the point where they can defend our home from sea borne invasions. Funding for the navy will, however, be subordinate to spending on our land forces until Portugal, Galicia, and Leon have been removed from Iberia.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hashim, your summary isn't really an accurate reflection of what my proposal is supposed to be. It'd be more like, "Strengthen the navy, but not at the expense of the army conquering Portugal, Castille, and Leon."

So I guess what I'm saying is the BUT should be an AND. It's a minor quibble, but I thought I should mention it anyway.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I've decided that being poor sucks. I change my faction to the League of Merchants.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I, Hussein al-Paragonia of the Merchants, do hereby propose that we build all of the docks (all of them), and also construct a new mosque to see to the spiritual needs of the sailors.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hashim posted:

They're Catholic.

Pagans then!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

WilliamAnderson posted:

Given this, I propose that we develop the production on our gold mine up to 10, with the other development increases split equally.

Gold rules the world after all.

Abandoning my own proposal to support this one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TildeATH posted:

How dare you speak against the Exploration Wing of the Merchant Faction? Allah have mercy on your perfidious, innovative ways if you do. The Oubliette Faction can always use new members.

Keep threatening people with the Oubliette, and I'll have you thrown into the Oubliette, you cackling hyena! :argh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Nah, it'll be fine.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Flavius Belisarius posted:

You're right, we should all roleplay our medieval characters embroiled in religious/ethnic conflict as 21st century gender studies professors at Berkeley

Unironically agree.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Flavius Belisarius posted:

No joking around while we colonize the Americas and Africa and fight a literal holy war, guys

Well, you see, jokes are supposed to be funny.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mikl posted:

We need money, fast. The best way to do this is by trading, or... selling something.

I, Mi-al-kl of the Merchants, hereby propose the Any Port In A Storm policy. We must open our arms to our brothers belonging to the other People of the Book, who will be granted all the rights that belong to true-blooded Muslims... provided they pay a fee. Preferably a steep one.

I support this policy. We cannot use our full might against France while half the realm seeks to rebel at every opportunity.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rubix Squid posted:

I support this action.

Looks like we have a new member of the Oubliette faction.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

switching back to the Taifas
We will have pretty borders.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Seems to me like we would be able to make a lot more progress if we didn't constantly spend thousands of Andalusi lives to protect a bunch of rebellious back-stabbing Sicilians.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Don't Wait - Vassalate Use every effort to make vassals of every small power on the Iberian peninsula.

Let's do this one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I, al-Paragonia of the Merchants, propose that we extend rights to the other peoples of Iberia by accepting their cultures.

Surely some common ground (and profit) can be found? Rebellions are expensive.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Snipee posted:

We must prepare to convert the Christians as soon as possible or else they will one day outnumber the faithful Muslims of Iberia and transform our uniquely Islamic country into yet another Christian kingdom. How many wars have we fought against the Christians to maintain our small safe haven for Muslims in Western Europe? How many times have we bled to keep the Crusaders from slaughtering our people? The short-term benefits of tolerating heresy today will be outweighed by the long-term costs of losing our identity and slipping into inevitable moral decline. It is foolish to believe that we can put an end to separatism by allowing for the persistence of alien cultures that will always regard themselves as separate from Al Andalus. If nothing else, this attitude of appeasement towards the Christians betrays a pathetic insecurity in the strength of our own culture! Our ancestors would weep if they knew how far we have fallen to even consider abandoning our religion.

Some breathtaking misuse of the word heresy for a member of the Ulema right here.

I have no comment on the remaining deluded paranoid ranting.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Agreed. Rewarding these rebels and traitors with 'acceptance' will only embolden them.

But enough about Palermo, how will we be treating the Portuguese?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Switching to the New Taifas

Now's the time to unite Iberia.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zakrelo posted:

"Balance of power" "Democracy" "Freedom"

what.

did someone spike this man's hashish before the meeting? He's speaking gibberish.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zakrelo posted:

im ahead of my time. i will be vindicated

It's okay, a rich history of the completely insane in government is part of what makes Al-Andalus cherished in the sight of Allah.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I want to propose that we build a bunch of Regimental Camps and Barracks for the New Taifas' second policy, but I'm not sure where to suggest they be built/where they've already been built. Thoughts?

Also is there a limit to how many things can be built in a province?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Why are my fellow members of the New Taifas ranting about the Almoravids when Palermo is right over there!?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rodyle posted:

why would we want an indefensible exclave in Italy when we could remove the dagger from our back?

If you're worried about Palermo so much you could always suggest vassalizing it. Without Sardinia, Corsica, and the Balears, any direct Italian possessions become difficult to defend anyway.

I don't, but if you want to rant nonsensically about traitors then surely you should start with Palermo? You know, the guys who made war on us in a moment of weakness?

You can remove the dagger from our back by re-allying the people who have marched to our defense multiple times. This also avoids the absolute idiocy of leaving us vulnerable to a war on two fronts with larger powers!

And make no mistake, if we take the other side of the straits from their rightful Muslim owners like a pack of mad dogs, we WILL be forever fighting on two fronts.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rodyle posted:

Did Palermo literally ally with the French?

They made war on us after the French finished killing people. So as good as.

Them being allied with the French just makes attacking them even more insane, especially without increasing the size of the army first.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Like at least break that alliance first so we don't have to fight the two strongest nearby military powers at the same time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The French-Almoravid alliance is going to look like one prescient piece of statesmanship, what with us deciding to try our hands at self-fulfilling prophecy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lol

Once again, I propose The Army Expansion Act, that we construct barracks and regimental camps in many provinces so as to increase the troops available to the army.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TildeATH posted:

What are you thiiiiinking? We don't even have Iberia subjugated. We have no navy to prevent them from screwing us over colonially. Why do we have this massive hard-on to self-harm by invading Morocco all the sudden?

Some people just hate winning.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Captain Oblivious posted:

What did "fellow muslims" mean to Morocco when they allied with nothing short of an existential threat to Al-Andalus? Your sentiments are not shared you fool and the naivete of it will doom us all!

Apparently a lot since they offered to renew the alliance, but fools have decided that one existential threat isn't enough. No, we need two!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Whatever we do, can we please expand the army?

I just want more soldiers for our Sultan. :qq:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I encourage the Majlis, whatever they feel about our neighbors, to think of the coming time as one devoted to a training sequence. One where the person being trained is given a set of tasks that they fail to accomplish, and then are shown to be incrementally improving on to imply that a large amount of time has passed. At the end the person being trained is fully accomplished and ready to face the challenges before them.

I don't know what you would call such a thing, but I encourage you to think of it that way nonetheless.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Painting of the Session of 1555

I love it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I also go with the Merchants!

Can someone please gag the Taifa delegates before the Sultan feels compelled to protect himself?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mikl posted:

. Also, first point of order: especially after what she's done, the witch must be removed from the halls of power swiftly and permanently, permanently if necessary. We can't trust the Sultan to take decisions without consulting his accursed mother, and females and finances don't mix.

I also urge my fellow members of the Majlis to not openly insult the Sultan's esteemed mother. It tends to make men deaf to one's advice.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mikl posted:

Esteemed colleagues, I will keep this short. Other nations are making advances in al-Qaribiya, and this is unacceptable. We settled that island chain first, so it is rightfully ours.

I know some of you might object that we have enough troubles at home to worry about someplace so far away, but while Iberia is where the heart is, the colonies are made of gold.

Therefore, I propose the Those Fxxxers - Our poo poo Act: take Taghzir from the Almoravids, by all means necessary.

Wouldn't it be simpler to let the almoravids do all the work of making colonies, then take what is rightfully ours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I propose the Tolerance Act, which mandates that the Humanism is our highest priority, idea group wise.

I support this.